Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

Anyone go to that Robin Black show last night? Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

It wasn't what I expected, but it was fun, met some nice people too.

Was great meeting Brad Katona and Coach K was there for a chat with Robin in the second half.
    Was part motivational seminar, part stand up, part fireside chat minus the actual fire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,688 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Enjoyed the main event of that card... Cowboy is at nothing still fighting other than to pick up a paycheck.said it after the loss to Till.

Can only look back on his career and consider him a bit of a sucker.. Was never on big money and yet bend head over heels for the UFC constantly stepping in to fights on late notice etc.

Now he is looking like he spars way too much in headgear these days. Fights in normal fights then constantly taking shots as if he's wearing headgear.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Edwards called out Masivdal in his post-fight interview and it's a fight that makes sense to be honest.

Masvidal says he's struggling to get matched up and would be on for it.

Edwards has called for it at UFC Birmingham but I think he's at least one win over a name from the UFC putting on an event there, unless they want to do it but have Edwards as co-main or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

callaway92 wrote: »
    Enjoyed the main event of that card... Cowboy is at nothing still fighting other than to pick up a paycheck.said it after the loss to Till.

Can only look back on his career and consider him a bit of a sucker.. Was never on big money and yet bend head over heels for the UFC constantly stepping in to fights on late notice etc.

Now he is looking like he spars way too much in headgear these days. Fights in normal fights then constantly taking shots as if he's wearing headgear.

If I remember correctly, Cowboy said he doesn't spar at all any more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Strong lineup for Ariel's first solo show with ESPN tomorrow.

rs9eab.jpg

How do people think Luke Thomas will do in Ariel’s old slot?

I like Luke and his analytical stuff, which he says is going to be a large feature of the show, is good.

2 hours long also which is a bit more manageable than Ariel’s 48 hour long shows :pac:

That said, it’s hard to see him being able to compete with Ariel’s popularity as they’re on at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Something that I'm unsure if everyone knows yet or not - Helwani's new show is not streamed live on YouTube. There'll be YouTube 'clips' afterwards but the only watch to watch live is exclusively on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dulux99 wrote: »
    Something that I'm unsure if everyone knows yet or not - Helwani's new show is not streamed live on YouTube. There'll be YouTube 'clips' afterwards but the only watch to watch live is exclusively on twitter.

That makes sense tbh. It's not on youtube because it's an ESPN show (need to track that $$$). But looks like it will be on itunes, spotify, and an ESPN app

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1010935525660876800

DC getting involved in a back and forth with Jones on Twitter.

I wish DC would just take the high road and not give Jon the reaction he’s looking for, nor the attention that he most certainly does not deserve, a week out from DC’s big night aginst Stipe.

Jones went fishing for a bite and Cormier just had to take the bait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Paully D wrote: »
    How do people think Luke Thomas will do in Ariel’s old slot?

I like Luke and his analytical stuff, which he says is going to be a large feature of the show, is good.

2 hours long also which is a bit more manageable than Ariel’s 48 hour long shows :pac:

That said, it’s hard to see him being able to compete with Ariel’s popularity as they’re on at the same time.

Watched the first episode and ot was good. In time i think it will be much better than what Helwani had/has. Its a good middle ground of proper fight analysis (which Helwani has never done), and the business/drama side of the sport ( which is all Helwani talks about)

He had Hardy, Schaub and Gastelum on today, Segura is also involved. Thomas said he will be very interested in fan feedback and will use it to make adjustments to the show where he sees fit.

I dont even particularly like Luke Thomas but I really think this could be successful.

I love what Luke does (his technical analysis is really good) so I'm really hopeful this will be more watchable than the 5 hour Ariel dramathon - which had veered too far into the drama/figher gossip side. Liked how he gave respect and kudos to Helwani and how he seems to intend making the show his own. Still youtubing through it but more 'technical' sport focussed so far - just seen the intro Hardy and Schaub segments.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Paully D wrote: »
    Jones went fishing for a bite and Cormier just had to take the bait.
    Typical DC though. Jones has always had the beating of him in that aspect, regardless of what happens in the cage.

DC regularly takes a bigger verbal beating from Jones than he ever has physically. And the fact that Jones has by far the moral low ground makes that all the more unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

BBC Northern Ireland covered the Clan Wars card from last weekend and put together this great little hour long show.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06c66xw

It gives a nice beginners introduction into MMA and a decent highlights package of the event. Fair play to the BBC, it's fantastic to see a local promotion get coverage like this for the sport. It would be nice to see something similar happen down here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Couple of good fights messed up now but Vick fighting Gathje should be a great fight. Felder really getting ****ed around latley.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Couple of good fights messed up now but Vick fighting Gathje should be a great fight. Felder really getting ****ed around latley.

Felder fighting Perry now which will be a cracker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

ASOT wrote: »
    Felder fighting Perry now which will be a cracker!

Hadn't seen that. Great scrap. Presume it's 170?

Hadn't seen that. Great scrap. Presume it's 170?

Yeah Yancys out, Felder steps in. Yeah its at 170, interesting to see how Perry gets on since the move to Jackson Wink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Felder may be doing Perry a favour here. If he hits him with enough elbows he'll knock some of them stupid tattoos off his face. Muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

love that fight!

fire v fire and felder for me, not sure who'll be favourite but if perry is I'm all over felder (guessing felder might just about be fav)

should be a cracker, two lads who've never been stopped :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Felder may be doing Perry a favour here. If he hits him with enough elbows he'll knock some of them stupid tattoos off his face. Muppet.

Mike Perry is gas craic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Pity its on fight pass :/ Should be a good scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Perry is a loudmouth bellend and nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mike Perry is one of the greatest philosophers of our time.

Golden Boy signed Chuck & Tito for a ppv fight this year, also considering a world tour. What a waste of money by Oscar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

ASOT wrote: »
    Golden Boy signed Chuck & Tito for a ppv fight this year, also considering a world tour. What a waste of money by Oscar.

I wouldn't be so sure. If you market it right, get the lapsed fan from ten years ago and price it correctly it could do 350-400k buys I reckon.

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure. If you market it right, get the lapsed fan from ten years ago and price it correctly it could do 350-400k buys I reckon.

I just cant see it to be honest, maybe at 19.99 but not a hope itll be that price, 40+ id imagine. I really dont want it to happen either. Poor chuck mustnt have a washer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

When is the rest of the event calender for the year announced does anybody know? Is it during international fight week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Joekers wrote: »
    When is the rest of the event calender for the year announced does anybody know? Is it during international fight week?

Should be ya. Most of it is floating around already though.

• Advertisement

Looks like Conor may have signed to fight Khabib based on the MMA Degastan (I know, I know, but generally a good source on those fighters) latest tweet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement