Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

ricero wrote: »
    Reports of a Rockhold vs Weidman rematch in MSG for ufc 230 card

Meh.

Probably just me, but I don’t really have much interest in this one. It doesn’t excite me for whatever reason.

Same as Jacare vs Branch which has also been announced for that card.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Reports of a Rockhold vs Weidman rematch in MSG for ufc 230 card

revenge for weidman

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Paully D wrote: »
    Alvarez v Poirier 2 may actually be my most anticipated fight this year. I really can’t wait for it.

Cracking Fight Night card and the added bonus of being in Canada so a 9pm start and 3am finish!

What a huge fight night card. Massive fight for Aldo and Stephens. Both need the win. Stephens to continue his good run and Aldo to save his career. Same for Joanna J.

BT Sport listing saying its a 9pm start and midnight finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The Nal wrote: »

Main card starts at 1am Irish time, 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific.

FightPass prelims start at 9pm Irish time.

http://uk.ufc.com/event/fight-night-canada-july-28-2018

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

The Nal wrote: »
    What a huge fight night card. Massive fight for Aldo and Stephens. Both need the win. Stephens to continue his good run and Aldo to save his career. Same for Joanna J.

BT sports 2 1am-3am prelims 3am-6:30am man card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That’s a huge step up in class for Borrachinha. Absolutely cracking fight on paper all the same though, they’ll take lumps out of each other if Romero decides to trade with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

That is a banger. So much for big yoel going to lhw.

I must say, the UFC really do a great job sometimes of putting together a fight that never crossed my mind but I instantly love the idea of them when they're made. Case and point Yoel v Costa, and the Rockhold Weidman rematch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Three middleweight fights on the same MSG card and all top 10 fighters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not even McGregor was fast tracked to a title shot this quick.

Till has that star quality about him but Woodley is a serious test for him.

Dana really don't like Woodley holding that belt so is desperate for anyone to take it off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Ariel saying Romero v Costa isn't finalised even though UFC put it on their socials.

Ariel saying Romero v Costa isn't finalised even though UFC put it on their socials.

This happened with Iaquinta vs Gaethje too and it turned out that he was right. The UFC announced it everywhere and it got a few pulled a few days later.

They probably do it to put pressure on the fighters. Most will cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

So much all natty in that matchup.

Woodley vs Till confirmed. Can't remember anyone getting a title shot so quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'd say Woodley will be too clever for til, handy decision win for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Till will have to be very cautious with Woodley.

woodley likes countering and exploding off the cage while being backed up, he'll invite Till on to him and try to explode with a big overhand, if he connects it's goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

rob316 wrote: »
    Not even McGregor was fast tracked to a title shot this quick.

Till has that star quality about him but Woodley is a serious test for him.

Dana really don't like Woodley holding that belt so is desperate for anyone to take it off him.

Dana confuses me sometimes. Can see why he doesnt like Woodley. probably over the 2 wonderboy fights.

i reckon it is too soon for till. woodley is a different kind of animal that can put him asleep with one punch.

colby stripped of the interim belt was that the quickest stripping of a belt?

Can see Till targetting Woodleys body hard in the first couple of rounds. Interesting fight and i couldnt pick a winner.

Think Woodley will try wrestle**** Till for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Inviere

Can see Woodley sparking him and then wrecking him tbh. I feel Till needed a few more fights in the top ten to realistically not only deserve a shot, but also to have a chance of winning it.

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    Can see Woodley sparking him and then wrecking him tbh. I feel Till needed a few more fights in the top ten to realistically not only deserve a shot, but also to have a chance of winning it.

Colby just had sugery and Till just beat the number 1 ranked guy in Wonderboy. I think its fair he gets the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Colby just had sugery and Till just beat the number 1 ranked guy in Wonderboy. I think its fair he gets the shot.

He barely beat him. It was barely a fight. And he wasn't close to making championship weight.

UFC just continue to devalue belts and everything more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Odds on Till not making weight? Pretty short I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Lukker- wrote: »
    He barely beat him. It was barely a fight. And he wasn't close to making championship weight.

UFC just continue to devalue belts and everything more and more.

he didnt beat him in mine, and alot of other peoples books

A win against an overblown LW (Cerrone) and a controversial win over Wonderboy, its a very undeserved shot but like I said UFC see something in him, the division is a mess and White hates Woodley holding that belt.

I hope Till does it, not a fan of Tyron either but it's a major ask. There isn't a more cautious fighter than Woodley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Till getting a shot is a joke, should never get one after missing weight.

Thought rockhold was done with middleweight!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Beersmith wrote: »
    Till getting a shot is a joke, should never get one after missing weight.

Thought rockhold was done with middleweight!

Seems to be the norm these days, Romero missed weight also and still got a shot.

I’ve been watching back TUF 20 over the last few nights.

Bloody hell, I’d forgotten just how horrible Magana, Rawlings, Herrig, Esparza and even Rose (which I was very surprised about) were.

Randa Markos and Tecica Torres came across really well in the face of the bullying. JoJo came across really well too although didn’t seem to be a victim of the bullying.

Ais must have HATED that experience.

Also it was cool to see Conor make an appearance. It was just before his Poirier fight. There’s a scene where he sees the strawweight belt that’s up for grabs and his eyes light up and he says “holy ****ing Jesus” or something like that :pac: Such a difference in the space of a few years.

FFS did you ever read as much ****e.

This is from Richard Kiely, a 2-1 pro who most recently got kneebarred by Alex Lahore in the first round and has just signed with Bellator:

“Paul Daley and MVP are one dimensional. In a stand-up fight, I'd spark them. Lorenz Larkin, he already got sparked by Daley, I'd spark him as well. Rory MacDonald's a really well-rounded fighter. There's a lot of things I'd need to work on there to fight him, but a few fights in, he could get sparked as well. On the feet, I'd destroy him."

"Obviously, there's Terrence Brazier as well, the hide-and-seek champion of BAMMA. If he ever comes out of hiding I'd actually bitch-slap him, I'd beat him open-handed. I'd give him the hairy side of the hand to knock him out. He was able to hide at BAMMA because he was able to call the shots. In Bellator, he won't be able to hide."

“Lorenz Larkin came over to SBG Tallaght. I got called up an hour beforehand. I was on the piss the night before, I turned up hungover. He was 100 kg and definitely on the medicinal supplements and I beat the **** out of him. I have the video to prove it. I'd knock him out as well."

“There are guys there that I think I can take their chin off - Daley, MVP, Terrence Brazier... all those guys. I'd put any of them asleep. That's not just fighters' speak. I'm happy to say that my striking level is the best in Bellator. My accomplishments in kickboxing speak for themselves and then I transitioned into MMA. The guys in Bellator won't know what hit them when I get in there."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Paully D wrote: »
    FFS did you ever read as much ****e.

This is from Richard Kiely, a 2-1 pro who most recently got kneebarred by Alex Lahore in the first round and has just signed with Bellator:

“Paul Daley and MVP are one dimensional. In a stand-up fight, I'd spark them. Lorenz Larkin, he already got sparked by Daley, I'd spark him as well. Rory MacDonald's a really well-rounded fighter. There's a lot of things I'd need to work on there to fight him, but a few fights in, he could get sparked as well. On the feet, I'd destroy him."

"Obviously, there's Terrence Brazier as well, the hide-and-seek champion of BAMMA. If he ever comes out of hiding I'd actually bitch-slap him, I'd beat him open-handed. I'd give him the hairy side of the hand to knock him out. He was able to hide at BAMMA because he was able to call the shots. In Bellator, he won't be able to hide."

“Lorenz Larkin came over to SBG Tallaght. I got called up an hour beforehand. I was on the piss the night before, I turned up hungover. He was 100 kg and definitely on the medicinal supplements and I beat the **** out of him. I have the video to prove it. I'd knock him out as well."

“There are guys there that I think I can take their chin off - Daley, MVP, Terrence Brazier... all those guys. I'd put any of them asleep. That's not just fighters' speak. I'm happy to say that my striking level is the best in Bellator. My accomplishments in kickboxing speak for themselves and then I transitioned into MMA. The guys in Bellator won't know what hit them when I get in there."

It's all bluster to get media attention. One thing I will say in his defence is he had a torn acl going into the Lahore fight. As soon as Lahore grabbed that leg Kiely was tapping for his life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement