Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

How has Till gotten a shot when he wasn't even close to weight last time out,
    I just can't see him beating Woodley, Woodley by KO or wrestling
    Will Till even make weight

• Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

How has Till gotten a shot when he wasn't even close to weight last time out,
    I just can't see him beating Woodley, Woodley by KO or wrestling
    Will Till even make weight

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

How has Till gotten a shot when he wasn't even close to weight last time out

Because, Dana.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The Nal wrote: »
    Because, Dana.
    Pretty much the explanation for any shenanigans that happen in the UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Paully D wrote: »

Bloody hell, I’d forgotten just how horrible Magana, Rawlings, Herrig, Esparza and even Rose (which I was very surprised about) were.

probably the only half memorable thing from that season, there'll never be that many nasty women on tuf ever again
    I've forgotten most of the fights from that tuf but it's harder to forget how those few mentioned conducted themselves.

magana and rawlings horrible human beings, herrig and esparza not a whole lot better
    I've been shouting against everyone of them when they have fought since

every cloud has a silver lining though, magana cut after 0/3 and bec cut after 2/5 record

other two have done well but probably wont ever trouble the top three although herrig came close last time

• Advertisement

Odds on Till not making weight? Pretty short I'd imagine.

bookies used to do markets on missing weight, recall someone here betting on a card that had hendricks v gastelum on it with hendricks missing out by a quarter of a pound :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The Nal wrote: »
    How has Till gotten a shot when he wasn't even close to weight last time out

Because, Dana.
    It's easy to blame Dana here. But they don't have many options at WW to be fair.
    It's not ideal with Till missing weight. But he is the only top 5 fighter coming off a win (Colby just had surgery). Usmam is on a win streak. That's it really in the top 10.
    Neither really deserves it imo.

Till is a huge risk having missed weight, so I wonder if they'll have a back up in camp just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

mailburner wrote: »
    probably the only half memorable thing from that season, there'll never be that many nasty women on tuf ever again
    I've forgotten most of the fights from that tuf but it's harder to forget how those few mentioned conducted themselves.

magana and rawlings horrible human beings, herrig and esparza not a whole lot better
    I've been shouting against everyone of them when they have fought since

every cloud has a silver lining though, magana cut after 0/3 and bec cut after 2/5 record

other two have done well but probably wont ever trouble the top three although herrig came close last time

Completely agree with everything you’ve said there.

Also nice to see that Randa bet Esparza in the UFC and that Tecia beat both Magana and Bec in the UFC. Joanna butchering Esparza was sweet too! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

FFS did you ever read as much ****e.

This is from Richard Kiely, a 2-1 pro who most recently got kneebarred by Alex Lahore in the first round and has just signed with Bellator:

“Paul Daley and MVP are one dimensional. In a stand-up fight, I'd spark them. Lorenz Larkin, he already got sparked by Daley, I'd spark him as well. Rory MacDonald's a really well-rounded fighter. There's a lot of things I'd need to work on there to fight him, but a few fights in, he could get sparked as well. On the feet, I'd destroy him."

"Obviously, there's Terrence Brazier as well, the hide-and-seek champion of BAMMA. If he ever comes out of hiding I'd actually bitch-slap him, I'd beat him open-handed. I'd give him the hairy side of the hand to knock him out. He was able to hide at BAMMA because he was able to call the shots. In Bellator, he won't be able to hide."

“Lorenz Larkin came over to SBG Tallaght. I got called up an hour beforehand. I was on the piss the night before, I turned up hungover. He was 100 kg and definitely on the medicinal supplements and I beat the **** out of him. I have the video to prove it. I'd knock him out as well."

“There are guys there that I think I can take their chin off - Daley, MVP, Terrence Brazier... all those guys. I'd put any of them asleep. That's not just fighters' speak. I'm happy to say that my striking level is the best in Bellator. My accomplishments in kickboxing speak for themselves and then I transitioned into MMA. The guys in Bellator won't know what hit them when I get in there."

I had a chat with him after his (i think) pro debut in the point at the Bamma/Bellator card where King Mo and that big Japanese lad had the most boring fight ever and Conor McGregor Jr James Gallagher choked out that crazy guy who's team mates with Aaron Pic and McKee.
    Seemed like a horrid nice fella considering he'd just keened the guts out of some lad for cash about 30 minutes before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

My podcast app has just hit 41 mins of the latest episode of Rogan's MMA show, with Callen and Schaub as the guests.

Not once has anything even tenuously connected to MMA been mentioned. A lot of Scientology discussion and it opened with some wonderful insight from Callen that the Mona Lisa was actually a Da Vinci self portrait and that Dan Brown wrote about it in the Da Vinci code because he knew all this from his time as a Harvard Professor of Theology.

Fascinating stuff. Not true in the slightest of course, but fascinating all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

My podcast app has just hit 41 mins of the latest episode of Rogan's MMA show, with Callen and Schaub as the guests.

Not once has anything even tenuously connected to MMA been mentioned. A lot of Scientology discussion and it opened with some wonderful insight from Callen that the Mona Lisa was actually a Da Vinci self portrait and that Dan Brown wrote about it in the Da Vinci code because he knew all this from his time as a Harvard Professor of Theology.

Fascinating stuff. Not true in the slightest of course, but fascinating all the same.

Listening to it myself. Dont worry once Joe goes for a piss the rest is pure MMA chat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Speaking of podcasts I don't think I've watched a single Ariel Helwani MMA Show interview since he left for ESPN. I hate how they have this shows uploaded to YouTube but have them segregated into hours as opposed to individual episodes - where's the logic in that? You don't just throw on the 3rd hour randomly the way you would with his previous uploads where it was interview specific. It's a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

ricero wrote: »
    Listening to it myself. Dont worry once Joe goes for a piss the rest is pure MMA chat

Started listening to the Anik and Florian one recently. Definitely my favourite MMA one although a bit short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

dulux99 wrote: »
    Speaking of podcasts I don't think I've watched a single Ariel Helwani MMA Show interview since he left for ESPN. I hate how they have this shows uploaded to YouTube but have them segregated into hours as opposed to individual episodes - where's the logic in that? You don't just throw on the 3rd hour randomly the way you would with his previous uploads where it was interview specific. It's a shame.

The podcast is all one download.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

The podcast is all one download.

Oh yeah I know. I typically caught up with the show on YouTube through individual videos though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Mellor wrote: »
    It's easy to blame Dana here. But they don't have many options at WW to be fair.
    It's not ideal with Till missing weight. But he is the only top 5 fighter coming off a win (Colby just had surgery). Usmam is on a win streak. That's it really in the top 10.
    Neither really deserves it imo.

Till is a huge risk having missed weight, so I wonder if they'll have a back up in camp just in case.

Surely to god Till will get the finger out and make weight with so much on the line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

FFS did you ever read as much ****e.

This is from Richard Kiely, a 2-1 pro who most recently got kneebarred by Alex Lahore in the first round and has just signed with Bellator:

“Paul Daley and MVP are one dimensional. In a stand-up fight, I'd spark them. Lorenz Larkin, he already got sparked by Daley, I'd spark him as well. Rory MacDonald's a really well-rounded fighter. There's a lot of things I'd need to work on there to fight him, but a few fights in, he could get sparked as well. On the feet, I'd destroy him."

"Obviously, there's Terrence Brazier as well, the hide-and-seek champion of BAMMA. If he ever comes out of hiding I'd actually bitch-slap him, I'd beat him open-handed. I'd give him the hairy side of the hand to knock him out. He was able to hide at BAMMA because he was able to call the shots. In Bellator, he won't be able to hide."

“Lorenz Larkin came over to SBG Tallaght. I got called up an hour beforehand. I was on the piss the night before, I turned up hungover. He was 100 kg and definitely on the medicinal supplements and I beat the **** out of him. I have the video to prove it. I'd knock him out as well."

“There are guys there that I think I can take their chin off - Daley, MVP, Terrence Brazier... all those guys. I'd put any of them asleep. That's not just fighters' speak. I'm happy to say that my striking level is the best in Bellator. My accomplishments in kickboxing speak for themselves and then I transitioned into MMA. The guys in Bellator won't know what hit them when I get in there."

lol I'll spark Richard Kiely meself in a minute.
    What an eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

No USADA test on Jon Jones in 40 weeks, despite the fact that fighters do still get tested during suspensions.

Hmmmmm......

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

No USADA test on Jon Jones in 40 weeks, despite the fact that fighters do still get tested during suspensions.

Hmmmmm......

Can't get tested if you keep on hiding *think about it Gif*

Wb9P99V.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Asus X540L wrote: »
    lol I'll spark Richard Kiely meself in a minute.
    What an eejit.

Is he an eejit for talking himself up and trying to garner a bit of publicity??

I don't see it that way at all, he's older than your average prospect, and if he's going to make a few bob he's going to have to do it soon. If a bit of bluster helps him fast-track himself up the card then more power to him.

Would you rather he kept his mouth shut and potentially missed out on a couple of decent paydays just so he didn't run the risk of being called an eejit by the odd randomer on an internet forum?!

He's an exciting fighter and genuinely nice lad, would be delighted to see him make a few waves with Bellator. Whether he's good enough to is another story, of course, but he's far from an eejit for putting himself out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I like Till, but expect Woodley to have the smarts and the game plan to catch him - he catches some serious flak but has gone through top pedigree fighters to get to where he is. I wonder how Till will cope with Tyron wrestle humping him if he gets taken down. There'll be another size disparity favouring Till but likely not a strength disparity.

For Till, leaving belt and rankings aside, I think this is definitely a bigger test than Wonderboy considering respective styles. I'm sure he'd prefer to trade all day long minus the threat of the takedown.

I like Till, but expect Woodley to have the smarts and the game plan to catch him - he catches some serious flak but has gone through top pedigree fighters to get to where he is. I wonder how Till will cope with Tyron wrestle humping him if he gets taken down. There'll be another size disparity favouring Till but likely not a strength disparity.

I'd like to see the belt changing hands as I'm sure a lot more would but you have to give credit where it's due
    He's taken out the very best (wb and robbie...maia a match made in heaven for tw) and unlike most divisions there's still three hot new prospects in cc, usman and till waiting in the wings

as for till well I've no idea how he fares here at all to be honest and regardless of rankings his last two wins were against cerrone (who he was always gonna beat imo) and wonderboy, previous wins were against unranked fighters so
    I think he's done pretty well to have a shot so soon.

I still say usman is the greatest threat myself, further down the rankings I think masvidal could have posed a threat to woodley

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

mailburner wrote: »
    as for till well I've no idea how he fares here at all to be honest and regardless of rankings his last two wins were against cerrone (who he was always gonna beat imo) and wonderboy, previous wins were against unranked fighters so
    I think he's done pretty well to have a shot so soon.

Probably not worth getting excited about this fight until weight is made. Till looked rotten all fight week. And missed by a fair margin. In the biggest fight of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

i dont get Dana or the UFC not backing there champions. Woodley gets no respect from Dana. this was proven by given colby and rda a shot at an interim belt and now pushing till up for a title fight cause he has some support behind. I only see this coming back to bite them in the ass when woodley beats till. same thing that happened with Ngannou and stipe. No one gave stipe a chance in that fight and he proved everyone wrong.

tbh i think the whole interim belts are stupid. they hold no value at all and with that said either do the rankings

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

I've really fallen out of love with the UFC since WME took over. I'm just not feeling the interest and excitement with UFC cards like I used to. Too many interem belts it's hard to know what's going on. The whole Brock Lesnar thing is bullsh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Some people really do have short memories. For instance Conor Mcgregor beat a tin can in Dennis Siver and got a title shot.

Till just beat the number 1 ranked guy in Wonderboy and Colby is out having surgery. Who else do the ufc give a shot to ?

Cant wait for this fight now. Hope Till does it he seems a down to earth guy and it would be great for mma on this side of the pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Some people really do have short memories.
    Kinda ironic.
    McGregor also beat Poirer who was ranked 5th at the time, if I remember correctly.
    Matchmakers don't just consider the most recent fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Really proves Fretitas we're the brains of the operation not White.

Some people really do have short memories. For instance Conor Mcgregor beat a tin can in Dennis Siver and got a title shot.
    My recollection is that Conor more or less had a title shot already and just took the Siver fight to stay busy. From MMAjunkie:
    "Although McGregor is in Brazil and was expected to fight the winner of Saturday’s UFC 179 headliner between featherweight champion Jose Aldo and Chad Mendes, he’ll instead stay busy with a fight against Siver, who recently picked up a decision victory over Charles Rosa at UFC Fight Night 53."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

My recollection is that Conor more or less had a title shot already and just took the Siver fight to stay busy. From MMAjunkie:
    "Although McGregor is in Brazil and was expected to fight the winner of Saturday’s UFC 179 headliner between featherweight champion Jose Aldo and Chad Mendes, he’ll instead stay busy with a fight against Siver, who recently picked up a decision victory over Charles Rosa at UFC Fight Night 53."

Absolutely. This story that somehow magically McGregor was granted a title shot only off the back of beating Siver is revisionist at best

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement