Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

So Mcgregor beat a number 5 ranked guy Poirier and was given a title shot.

Till has beaten a number 1 ranked guy and has been given a title shot and Colby is out injured. I dont understand why people have their knickers in a twist with Till getting the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Posted this in the other thread, but might get more coverage here.

OneFC live stream on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ3eGchBJqc

Garry Tonon up now.
    Renzo Gracie and Shinya Aoki up afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Mellor wrote: »
    Posted this in the other thread, but might get more coverage here.

OneFC live stream on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ3eGchBJqc

Garry Tonon up now.
    Renzo Gracie and Shinya Aoki up afterwards

How did Gary get on? Can't watch. For a bjj guy he looked excellent with his hands an footwork last time out.

How did Gary get on? Can't watch. For a bjj guy he looked excellent with his hands an footwork last time out.
    Garry won by RNC in rd 3. He did ok with the hands, clipped a few times, takedowns were good, attacked with subs constantly. The other guy did incredibly well to escape inverted heelhooks, omoplata, mounted triangle, a darce and guillotine attempt. He endured a facecranking RNC and got out, but Garry switched and caught the other side under the chin

Renzo up next.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

ricero wrote: »

Till has beaten a number 1 ranked guy and has been given a title shot and Colby is out injured. I dont understand why people have their knickers in a twist with Till getting the shot.
    Cause he was miles overweight in that fight not even close to weight,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I dont remember the same outrage when Romero got the shot after missing weight and beating Rockhold.

Till vs Woodley should be a very interesting fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I dont remember the same outrage when Romero got the shot after missing weight and beating Rockhold.

Till vs Woodley should be a very interesting fight.
    On was 2 lbs over which is bad,  But 4 and a half is taking the piss .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Ah Jaysus, McGregor wiped Poirier out, and made weight. Till just edged Wonderboy at best, could easily have been scored a draw or went the other way....he also was a mile overweight. The two things combined have left some people feeling its a bit premature for a title shot. Is it really that outlandish a stance to take?!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭kubjones

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus, McGregor wiped Poirier out, and made weight. Till just edged Wonderboy at best, could easily have been scored a draw or went the other way....he also was a mile overweight. The two things combined have left some people feeling its a bit premature for a title shot. Is it really that outlandish a stance to take?!

But he smashed Cowboy in the first round and arguably, nobody has won "convincingly" over Wonderboy, including Woodley.

The weight thing is a black mark on his career, but not everything that he should be judged for.

Plus, Woodley is ready to go and there's nobody else at the top capable of fighting save Dos Anjos, who lost his last fight.

People want to see this fight, whether he deserves it or not, there's nobody else to put forward now that Covington is out for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

There'd be some bit of merit to the McGregor argument had he not steamrolled his way up the rankings, beat the no. 1 contender on short notice after the champ pulled out, and then beaten the undisputed champ in 13 seconds at the end of the same year. Till hasn't been half as impressive, but if he wins he obviously deserved the shot.

• Advertisement

Thought there was uproar over Romero getting the shot too to be honest. I've just come to terms with it that belts mean nothing, it's the fights an styles I care about. I've a feeling till will be very conservative in another dance off.

Fight of the year is on this weekend, and quite possibly card of the year if all the fights go as expected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Some people really do have short memories. For instance Conor Mcgregor beat a tin can in Dennis Siver and got a title shot.

Till just beat the number 1 ranked guy in Wonderboy and Colby is out having surgery. Who else do the ufc give a shot to ?

Cant wait for this fight now. Hope Till does it he seems a down to earth guy and it would be great for mma on this side of the pond.

i personally dont think conor should get a title shot. would like to see him fight maybe winner of eddie V dustin and maybe khabib fight tony.

conor has not had an mma fight in over 2 years as much as i would like to see him fight khabib i dont think he deserves it

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i personally dont think conor should get a title shot. would like to see him fight maybe winner of eddie V dustin and maybe khabib fight tony.

conor has not had an mma fight in over 2 years as much as i would like to see him fight khabib i dont think he deserves it

A Conor v Eddie fight shouldn't be sanctioned again. Conor literally played with him in there

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Eddie and McGregor? It's probably the most one sided fight you'll ever see, McGregor didn't break a sweat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

rob316 wrote: »
    Eddie and McGregor? It's probably the most one sided fight you'll ever see, McGregor didn't break a sweat

Anderson vs Leban
    Jones vs Rua
    Nunes vs Rousey
    jedrzejczyk vs Esparza

But yes, McGregor vs Alverez was one sided

cletus wrote: »

Anderson vs Leban
    Jones vs Rua
    Nunes vs Rousey
    jedrzejczyk vs Esparza

But yes, McGregor vs Alverez was one sided
    Cain v JDS 2 & 3
    BJ v Sanchez
    Rory v BJ, Rory v Diaz
    GSP v BJ, Koschek
    Khabib v Barboza, Trujillo

They're the matches I think of as one-sides beatdowns.

A Conor v Eddie fight shouldn't be sanctioned again. Conor literally played with him in there

ok so thats a valid point that would be a stupid match up.

My point was i still dont think he should not walk straight back into a title fight, have him fight someone in the top 10 first

My point was i still dont think he should not walk straight back into a title fight, have him fight someone in the top 10 first
    He never lost the belt in the cage. He's still the lineal champion. That carries a lot of weight in itself. Khabib beating McGregor validates his reign. At the moment it's a glorified interim belt (Iaquinta FFS)

He never lost the belt in the cage. He's still the lineal champion. That carries a lot of weight in itself. Khabib beating McGregor validates his reign. At the moment it's a glorified interim belt (Iaquinta FFS)

he lost it because he didnt defend it. i agree khabib beating iaquinta for a belt was a joke but if anyone deserves a title shot it is tony. he was the interim champ and is on a ten fight win streak. he should fight khabib and conor fight someone else and if conor wins then he gets a title shot.

dont get me wrong i am a big fan of conor but i just think the ufc has gone nuts lately with who gets a title shot and interim belts made when there is no reason

he lost it because he didnt defend it. i agree khabib beating iaquinta for a belt was a joke but if anyone deserves a title shot it is tony. he was the interim champ and is on a ten fight win streak. he should fight khabib and conor fight someone else and if conor wins then he gets a title shot.

dont get me wrong i am a big fan of conor but i just think the ufc has gone nuts lately with who gets a title shot and interim belts made when there is no reason
    I'm aware of why he lost the title. I'm just pointing out there a difference between losing it due to inactivity and losing it in the cage.
    As an example, Cruz lost his belt due to inactivity (injury) and was offered an immediate shot on his return, but opted for a tune upright.

Tony v Khabib is cursed. Fell through 4 times now. He's still recovering from surgery. My guess is he'll be co-main on the Khabib v McGregor card just in case somebody gets injured

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah 'Dana said' he wants Tony on the same card. Tbh, you'd need a back up for both Tony and khabib, Tony Vs Nate would be a good scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

He is both the lineal champ and one of the most exciting fighters ever. His lineal champ status alone is enough for me.

Khabib surely wants and deserves a validating moment like DC got recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Melvin Guillard knocked out again today.

He’s now 1-9 (1 no contest) in his last 11 fights and has been knocked out in his last 4.

He needs saving from himself but it already seems far too late.

Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Paully D wrote: »
    Melvin Guillard knocked out again today.

He’s now 1-9 (1 no contest) in his last 11 fights and has been knocked out in his last 4.

He needs saving from himself but it already seems far too late.

Sad.

it is sad and one thing I noticed last night, think it was before the poirier fight they said melvin has the most knockouts in the lightweight div to date (7)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Missed weight in 6 of his last 10 too. So if he's only dragging on fighting because he's broke - he's losing a heck of a lot of his purses to opponents too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Nothing we didn’t know as of last week, but confirmation from the BBC now:

https://twitter.com/sandhumma/status/1023664830513917952?s=21

Very disappointing. That BT package was excellent value for the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

UFC definitely need to change their marketing plan. Great card on paper (turned out great as well), was free and they still can't pull in views. Not sure what they need to do really, do they need to get their ranked fighters on TV more, higher visibility, are people getting so sick of the interims, weight misses, injuries that they are tuning out? Any fans of the sport would have tuned into fox (US) to watch Eddie and Dustin alone so can't explain the worst ratings in fox history.

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1023629252531572736?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I only went with BT because of it. Be interesting to see where it goes really hope sky don't must scoop it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    UFC definitely need to change their marketing plan. Great card on paper (turned out great as well), was free and they still can't pull in views. Not sure what they need to do really, do they need to get their ranked fighters on TV more, higher visibility, are people getting so sick of the interims, weight misses, injuries that they are tuning out? Any fans of the sport would have tuned into fox (US) to watch Eddie and Dustin alone so can't explain the worst ratings in fox history.

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1023629252531572736?s=19

They need to advertise there cards more than a week in advance which seems to be the case these days. I only really remember non numbered cards when there social media start pushing them on fight week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Must cancel bt come november. They have a long cancelation process. 30 days after next bill period.

Currently on a really cheap deal after treatening to leave

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement