Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Poirier is still so underrated.

Since losing to Conor in 2014, he’s gone 8-1 (with 1 no contest), beating Madeiros, Joe Duffy, Bobby Green, Jim Miller, Anthony Pettis, Gaethje and Alvarez.

He’s probably still missing that one big name, but what a great resume he has put together.

I’m unsure what Ferguson’s status is, but if that matchup can’t be made then Dustin vs Kevin Lee would be an interesting one while we wait to see what happens with Conor vs Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Not sure if mentioned, but have seen report that Eleven Sports have done deal with UFC...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not sure if mentioned, but have seen report that Eleven Sports have done deal with UFC...

Yup. BT Sport lost the rights, or rather gave up the rights as they walked away from the negotiations. Will stay on BT Sports until December 4th.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45000791

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Eleven sports hired a former ufc marketer not so long ago so they've already brought someone in who knows the product which makes it seem more likely.

Jim Edwards reckons they’ll be going to a PPV model, but only for the “big” events like McGregor fights.

That’s how it starts.....

So in the space of a couple of years we’ve gone from having entire non-PPV cards available on Fight Pass, to then having a subscription to BT as necessary to watch the main cards of all events (legally), to now having to fork out for PPV’s for some events.

We probably did have it too good at the start with that Fight Pass model, but it seems to be going too far the other way now. The current BT model was fair IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

i wont be signing up to eleven sports anyway id say. The quality of the events has gone downhill in my opinion and even if the pricing is similar to BT its probably not worth it. The combined with my 3mbs broadband means my ufc watching will be greatly reduced.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    UFC definitely need to change their marketing plan. Great card on paper (turned out great as well), was free and they still can't pull in views. Not sure what they need to do really, do they need to get their ranked fighters on TV more, higher visibility, are people getting so sick of the interims, weight misses, injuries that they are tuning out? Any fans of the sport would have tuned into fox (US) to watch Eddie and Dustin alone so can't explain the worst ratings in fox history.

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1023629252531572736?s=19

https://twitter.com/jason_floyd/status/1023618254814826496?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That is a shocking drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

UFC is 100% currently in a down time, No one really cares about the new breed of fighters ,
    Seems to be no real personalities anymore just everyone trying to copy Conor .
    Sure look at James Gallagher and Dillon Danis from Conor's gym and both try to be carbon copies of Conor,
    Also suffering as GSP, Rhonda and Connor , Jones all disappeared around the same time  , Lesnar will draw big figures ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The product is over-saturated. Far too many fight nights imo.

Anyway buzzing for No Love vs Tj rematch this saturday. The card is the drizzling ****s but that fight and the co-main will keep me up watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Shocking numbers for what was a cracking Fight Night, one of the best i've seen. Stupid, but you can absolutely see why no one expected a McGregor announcement there either.

And also on the BT losing the rights, it's a shame, but they won't be switching to a PPV model here for anything other than a McGregor card. MayMac showed he could be a draw in the market even for a 5 am start. It can prob go somewhat towards giving him a bigger slice of the pie too, they could prob afford to give him a bigger cut than the champions usually get for the regular US market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

11 sports thing isn't great need clarity however a few months to go before need to worry about that. . Must cancel my bt soon, there are too many cards alright, I used to watch every fight on a card now I will only watch undercard if a fighter I like is on it or afterwards hear about a good fight.

So some genius’ decided to start a fight on a group of guys for no apparent reason. Unfortunately, one of them was UFC lightweight Jared Gordon :pac:

https://twitter.com/jflashgordonmma/status/1024044512878964736?s=21

Gordon has said the fella in his group who didn’t do anything once things kicked off was someone that his other friend taught BJJ to and Gordon called him a “loser” for not helping (which is pretty fair).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Apparently ElevenSpirts will be included with both Sky and Virgin. So an additional subscription isn't needed, as with BT Sports now.

Mellor wrote: »
    Apparently ElevenSpirts will be included with both Sky and Virgin. So an additional subscription isn't needed, as with BT Sports now.

BT is subscription based on sky.... a certain number of events will be PPV though...

i think tis time to secure an alternative

Paully D wrote: »
    So some genius’ decided to start a fight on a group of guys for no apparent reason. Unfortunately, one of them was UFC lightweight Jared Gordon :pac:

https://twitter.com/jflashgordonmma/status/1024044512878964736?s=21

Gordon has said the fella in his group who didn’t do anything once things kicked off was someone that his other friend taught BJJ to and Gordon called him a “loser” for not helping (which is pretty fair).
    The sweep to knee on belly was nice . other than that it was hand bags really ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

Mellor wrote: »

Where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

dashoonage wrote: »
    BT is subscription based on sky.... a certain number of events will be PPV though...

i think tis time to secure an alternative

3/4 per year max.

Think they will be getting the fight night cards, and the prelims + early pre lims too.

Satellite is rather old fashioned though, but it does increase their base, 20m people have sky or virgin in the UK, compared to the 6M with BT Sports.

I'd be interested what digital offerings they have. I'm not gonna subscribe, I'd never go back to satellite, but it might be a smart move by the UFC if they can get digital + satellite market sown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The sweep to knee on belly was nice . other than that it was hand bags really ,

Gordon landed at least two decent undercuts and at least two decent knees.

The chap who stood and did nothing was definitely a handbag though

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Gordon landed at least two decent undercuts and at least two decent knees.

The chap who stood and did nothing was definitely a handbag though
    He was the only one with any cop-on. Fighting on a pavement and near glass windows is for mugs.

Gordon messed his hand up real bad - multiple infections and surgeries - and still has issues with it. Silly thing to do to your hand (esp for a fighter) when your life is not in danger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Surprised it was that much of a struggle. Usually a pro fighter could knock em out 1 by 1 with a clean punch or kick. Looks like handbags outside a chipper on sat night

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

Surprised it was that much of a struggle. Usually a pro fighter could knock em out 1 by 1 with a clean punch or kick. Looks like handbags outside a chipper on sat night

I don't know, to me it just shows how sloppy and unpredictable fighting in the street can be, even for a professional fighter. And if you watch, the Renzo brown belt allowed the guy up after sweep to knee on belly, and ended up being sloppy-double legged into the wall/window

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Lukker- wrote: »
    3/4 per year max.

Think they will be getting the fight night cards, and the prelims + early pre lims too.

Satellite is rather old fashioned though, but it does increase their base, 20m people have sky or virgin in the UK, compared to the 6M with BT Sports.

I'd be interested what digital offerings they have. I'm not gonna subscribe, I'd never go back to satellite, but it might be a smart move by the UFC if they can get digital + satellite market sown up.

3/4 max per year......Dana says....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

Just to round out the street fight vid from earlier, here's a series of pictures outlining his recovery process

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl3uEVQF__j/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_loading_state_control

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

https://youtu.be/DX1er5QYiBs

it was great to hear max sounding like his old self and that most of the rumors were false. it was not the weight cut or water poisoning and more importantly it wasnt a stroke.

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/DX1er5QYiBs

it was great to hear max sounding like his old self and that most of the rumors were false. it was weight cut or water poisoning and more importantly it wasnt a stroke.
    Don't believe that for a second,
     I think  he got Ko'd in one of his last sparring sessions, Its something his camp will never say openly,
    If he's like that form the weight cut before the hard part of it even started we won't ever se him at feather weight again ,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Bit awkward considering how he was stripped of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement