Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Mellor wrote: »
    Still? That hasn't been the case since they stopped one night tournaments.

At any given time, half the established roster is coming off a loss. If winners v winner fights were the majority. They'd quickly run out of available fighters pretty quickly.
    Winner vrs Loser is extremely common. In the next event, every fight on the main card involves at least one guy coming off a loss.

I should have been more specific. I meant the very top level and the guys that are ranked in the Top 10. With the exception of somebody like Stipe who just lost his title, beating him in his next fight would make someone like JDS/Blaydes a relevant contender.

You still have top guys like Tony who will say they dont want to fight a guy like Eddie who just got KO'ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

I should have been more specific. I meant the very top level and the guys that are ranked in the Top 10. With the exception of somebody like Stipe who just lost his title, beating him in his next fight would make someone like JDS/Blaydes a relevant contender.

You still have top guys like Tony who will say they dont want to fight a guy like Eddie who just got KO'ed.

look at nate diaz. no fight in two years and coming off a loss to conor and he is fighting poirier who in my opinion should be a top contender for a title fight

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭kubjones

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    look at nate diaz. no fight in two years and coming off a loss to conor and he is fighting poirier who in my opinion should be a top contender for a title fight

He's been looking so slick, his boxing is world class.

And still, I think Nate beats him.
    When it comes to Boxer v Boxer, nate has the reach, the accuracy and the chin made of titanium.

kubjones wrote: »
    He's been looking so slick, his boxing is world class.

And still, I think Nate beats him.
    When it comes to Boxer v Boxer, nate has the reach, the accuracy and the chin made of titanium.

couldnt agree more poirier is very good these days but i think nates toughness will see him grind the win out.

could a loss to nate put poirier back a few places in the queue for a title shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

It’s pretty obvious what the guy meant. 9 times out of 10 they match a winner with a winner and a loser with a loser. Using the example of Nate Diaz vs Poirier isn’t really indicative of a wider trend as Diaz is one of the biggest names in the sport these days and they make exceptions for the top guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

dulux99 wrote: »
    It’s pretty obvious what the guy meant. 9 times out of 10 they match a winner with a winner and a loser with a loser. Using the example of Nate Diaz vs Poirier isn’t really indicative of a wider trend as Diaz is one of the biggest names in the sport these days and they make exceptions for the top guys.

Exactly. And using the upcoming fight night card as a reference point is a little bit off the mark in my opinion.

The conversation was about Tony's next fight.
    Sure it could be Alvarez whom I may have overlooked but I still think it will be someone coming off a big win.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭kubjones

couldnt agree more poirier is very good these days but i think nates toughness will see him grind the win out.

could a loss to nate put poirier back a few places in the queue for a title shot?

I think if he loses, he has to fight two more fights before he's back in that position. If he does lose, I'd say he fights Kevin Lee next.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dulux99 wrote: »
    It’s pretty obvious what the guy meant. 9 times out of 10 they match a winner with a winner and a loser with a loser.
    I understand what he meant. I just don't think it hold true. Especially not in the top 10. Entry level guys maybe, where you have winners climbing the ranks and losers leaving town.
    Top 10 regulars lose less often that. But one lose doesn't make them not a top fighter.
    Look at Gaethje. He lost to Eddie, then fought Dustin (who was just off a win) and lost. Now fights Vick who's on a 4 fight streak.

I've no idea who they match Tony with. But the only guys in the top 10 who aren't booked, that he hasn't fought are Eddie, Pettis and Iaquinta. Only Pettis is coming off a win.

Personally if I was Tony, I'd be staying fit incase Conor/Khabib/Dustin pulls out. But he's a lunatic, so doubt he'll sit about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Personally if I was Tony, I'd be staying fit incase Conor/Khabib/Dustin pulls out. But he's a lunatic, so doubt he'll sit about.
    I agree completely. I think UFC should give Ferguson some money to go through a camp as a standby for 229 at least. Kamaru Usman is doing the same for the 228 main event and will even be officially weighing in during fight week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

No love vs TJ 2 reported to of done over 300 k in ppv buys

• Advertisement

cliggg wrote: »
    I agree completely. I think UFC should give Ferguson some money to go through a camp as a standby for 229 at least. Kamaru Usman is doing the same for the 228 main event and will even be officially weighing in during fight week!

is this the future of the ufc? having a fighter on standby in case a fighter falls out or misses weight?

is this the future of the ufc? having a fighter on standby in case a fighter falls out or misses weight?
    It's been suggested by many people on here and similar places but I'm not sure they would ever fully commit to it as it would cost a fair amount of money even if they just did it for ppv's and some of the "big" fight nights. I think they're just doing it with UFC 228 because Darren Till Has missed weight in half of his UFC fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

ricero wrote: »
    No love vs TJ 2 reported to of done over 300 k in ppv buys

Second highest BW fight. Still terrible numbers.

cliggg wrote: »
    It's been suggested by many people on here and similar places but I'm not sure they would ever fully commit to it as it would cost a fair amount of money even if they just did it for ppv's and some of the "big" fight nights. I think they're just doing it with UFC 228 because Darren Till Has missed weight in half of his UFC fights.

they should just add more weight classes so the weight cuts are less tough. god knows they have enough fighters on the roster

ASOT wrote: »
    Second highest BW fight. Still terrible numbers.
    250,000 - 300,000 would be considered average I think. It was expected to do less than 200,000 so I'd say UFC management are thrilled with that number.

they should just add more weight classes so the weight cuts are less tough. god knows they have enough fighters on the roster
    Yeah but you'd still have people like Ferguson, Khabib, Lee, Rockhold etc.. skipping more suitable weight classes and cutting 50-60 pounds just to have an advantage over their opponent. The whole thing is ridiculous really calling someone the Lightweight (or any other) champion when they only weighed 155 (or 170 etc..) for about 10 minutes the day before the fight.

Makes sense in only in high profile fights, where the risk of a pull out, times the loss in earnings is more than the cost to pay a fighter to stay in camp.
    More weight classes are good. They should so that.
    But people aren't aren't making massive cuts due to a lack of options, they are doing it to gain n edge.

A fighter cutting 30lbs could very very easily, drop 5-10lbs to make it a reasonable 20lb cut. They choose not in order to gain an edge imo. Or they subconsciously feel that they need to keep their bulk to be effective. Bigorexia

Kevin Lee has said his started camp has started (for UFC229) without an opponent. Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I'm just rewatching the Lawlor v MacDonald fight from the McGregor v Mendes main event and I'll never understand how Lawlor survived the end of round 3 and first 2 minutes of round 4. He was eating head kicks and elbows for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I'm just rewatching the Lawlor v MacDonald fight from the McGregor v Mendes main event and I'll never understand how Lawlor survived the end of round 3 and first 2 minutes of round 4. He was eating head kicks and elbows for fun.

Poor Rory's body gave up on him, he was up on every score card as well. One of the best fights of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

ASOT wrote: »
    Poor Rory's body gave up on him, he was up on every score card as well. One of the best fights of all time.

His nose have up on him! 4 things I'll never forget about that fight

1. The staredown in the middle of the octagon at the end of Rd 4.

2. The close up shot of Rory's face coming out for Rd 5

3. Rory's delayed reaction to that final left to the nose and just collapsing to the ground.

4. Robbie's huge gapping hole in his top lip at the end when he is screaming with delight at the end of the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

His nose have up on him! 4 things I'll never forget about that fight

1. The staredown in the middle of the octagon at the end of Rd 4.

2. The close up shot of Rory's face coming out for Rd 5

3. Rory's delayed reaction to that final left to the nose and just collapsing to the ground.

4. Robbie's huge gapping hole in his top lip at the end when he is screaming with delight at the end of the fight.

That will always traumatise me. I remember looking at him thinking 'Close your mouth man', you could see it opening up as he screamed. Savage

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

This was being heavily alluded to on the If I Did It podcast yesterday, didn't drop any names, but easy to figure who they had been talking about

cletus wrote: »
    This was being heavily alluded to on the If I Did It podcast yesterday, didn't drop any names, but easy to figure who they had been talking about

There was a massive thread about it on reddit that specially named the guy, and gave a eyewitness detailed account of him trying to burn her with a cigerette, beat her up, etc.

The guy has multiple nazi tatoos, has declined cover ups, and went to jail for murdering a black guy outside his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I remember standing up the whole fight in awe. what a fight to withness in person. I needed a piss between r2 and r3, was so thankfull jacks weren't too busy and i was close. Ended up losing my phone running back from that piss however got it back thankfully.

Definitely affected the longevity of both fighters that night.

I've n bee really been able to reconcile the beating Lawlor took in that fight with the way he lost his title.
    Just seemed like it wasn't the same guy.

I think Rory leaving the UFC was a good move in terms of longevity. Hope he returns someday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I've n bee really been able to reconcile the beating Lawlor took in that fight with the way he lost his title.
    Just seemed like it wasn't the same guy.

I think Rory leaving the UFC was a good move in terms of longevity. Hope he returns someday though

Bellator's WW's aren't far off UFC standard. Lima, Koreshkov and McDonald himself could all be top 5 in the UFC. And his next fight is against Gegard..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Did anything ever come from Rory saying last year that Lawlor was juicing for the fight, some test results if I remember.

Hopefully not true but would explain the old sudden dip in performances from Lawlor since, never heard anymore about it since though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Did anything ever come from Rory saying last year that Lawlor was juicing for the fight, some test results if I remember.

Hopefully not true but would explain the old sudden dip in performances from Lawlor since, never heard anymore about it since though.

I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest to be honest. Even though it was only 3 years ago it was a very different time in MMA. The majority of them were dabbling in one way or another in my opinion

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement