Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Anybody know when UFC 230 tickets will go on sale? Guessing not for another few weeks right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Lukker- wrote: »
    Bellator's WW's aren't far off UFC standard. Lima, Koreshkov and McDonald himself could all be top 5 in the UFC. And his next fight is against Gegard..

He took a lot of damage in the Lima fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Ngannou-Blaydes is the main event of UFC Beijing. I wonder what Francis will be like this time knowing he has beat Blaydes before?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

cliggg wrote: »
    Ngannou-Blaydes is the main event of UFC Beijing. I wonder what Francis will be like this time knowing he has beat Blaydes before?

It'll be some fall from grace if he loses, 100% let everything get into his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭kubjones

ASOT wrote: »
    It'll be some fall from grace if he loses, 100% let everything get into his head.

I think he loses.

Blaydes is hungry and on a roll. Ngannu is completely one-dimensional and the formula for beating him is out there now. Reckon he loses this one and takes a break for a long while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Ngannu bottled it against Lewis, it's like stipe took his soul, he needs to go back in there with no fear, if blaydes senses this he wont hesitate and go for KO.... unlike derrick "me back again" Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

kubjones wrote: »
    I think he loses.

Blaydes is hungry and on a roll. Ngannu is completely one-dimensional and the formula for beating him is out there now. Reckon he loses this one and takes a break for a long while.

I agree 100%, silly fight for Fran.

True there is a formula to beat him but that's true of anyone who ever lost. All it takes in 1 big punch and it's lights out as Overeem found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Anybody know when UFC 230 tickets will go on sale? Guessing not for another few weeks right?

LIVE ON PAY-PER-VIEW ·
    UFC 230 TBA vs TBD
    Fight Club™ Pre-sale for Elite & Ultimate members: TBD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I fancy TBA in that one. TBD is a gritty bastard though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭kubjones

dulux99 wrote: »
    I fancy TBA in that one. TBD is a gritty bastard though

TBD looked great against GSP but I reckon TBA's performance against RDA was the TKO of the year. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Inviere

TBA has no gas tank, though that said, TBD hasn’t had a full camp so who knows

In all seriousness I reckon UFC 230 will be headlined by Jones vs Gustaffson. I saw a video where Chael Sonnen said the two possiblities for 230 were Cormier vs Jones at heavyweight or Jones vs Anderson Silva. Both pretty stupid suggestions imo. Jones vs Gustaffson for the vacant LHW title makes all the sense in the world.

I see Jon Jones was tested for the first time in 9 months, I wonder does that mean anything in relation to him fighting again. Maybe they have a suspension deal that he is serving now and he'll be available for 230? I saw that video of him yesterday punching pads and he looked a lot bigger, I reckon it could be him and DC at heavyweight. Or you know I could be reading too much into very little. It's definitely one of those 2 things :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

In all seriousness I reckon UFC 230 will be headlined by Jones vs Gustaffson. I saw a video where Chael Sonnen said the two possiblities for 230 were Cormier vs Jones at heavyweight or Jones vs Anderson Silva. Both pretty stupid suggestions imo. Jones vs Gustaffson for the vacant LHW title makes all the sense in the world.

The LHW title isn't vacant. DC has it.

The LHW title isn't vacant. DC has it.

Meh. Formality. The featherweight title wasn't vacant when Holloway and Pettis fought for it either. We all know Cormier is never going back to 205.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Meh. Formality. The featherweight title wasn't vacant when Holloway and Pettis fought for it either. We all know Cormier is never going back to 205.
    That was an interim title though.
    I don't see any difficultly for DC going back to 205 - if he wants to, which he might not. But I don't think he can jump between them indefinitely.

1 at LHW and finish career at HW. Or the reverse.

Holy crap. This is insane.

https://twitter.com/BrMassami/status/1031350697084649472

No exaggeration to say that was one of the worse stoppages I've ever witnessed. Was genuinely uncomfortable watch it go on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

That was disturbing. What was the ref waiting for, and where the fück was that fighter's corner

Yup. I was expecting something run of the mill but it just kept going. Was actually very uncomfortable to watch.
    THe ref, the corner, it went on so long even the attacking fighter should having done something.

• Advertisement

I would seriously wonder if the ref was 'punishing' the guy for some personal or team grudge. Incompetence only goes so far as a plausible explanation. I couldn't believe what I was watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

It is in slow motion though. Doesn't seem to be a real speed version.

Beersmith wrote: »
    It is in slow motion though. Doesn't seem to be a real speed version.
    The sound is messed up. But its not slowed down imo. The movement when he is locking up the half guard, and movement of the ref is pretty natural looking.

Edit: Originsl version from fighters FB page. It's not slowed down. 95 seconds between hips drooping to the mat and releasing choke.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1061376017362642&id=100004707603928

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The attacking fighter should have let go when he knew the other guy was out, which was fairly early on by the looks of it.

Horribly late stoppage there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Am I the only one not seeing this? The guy getting choked was still moving his hips up until 12 seconds before the red stopped it, meaning he was conscious. Looks to me like he was trying to hold out on the hope that his opponents arms would tire out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Am I the only one not seeing this? The guy getting choked was still moving his hips up until 12 seconds before the red stopped it, meaning he was conscious. Looks to me like he was trying to hold out on the hope that his opponents arms would tire out

Yeah I was thinking that, maybe he was talking to the ref while he lying there telling him he was ok?

how.gareth wrote: »
    Yeah I was thinking that, maybe he was talking to the ref while he lying there telling him he was ok?

Quite possibly yes. I’m surprised at the outrage tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Um, did you guys not see the bit where the lad didn't get up after the bell signaled the end of the round?

It's possible he went unconscious just before the bell but there are long periods of inactivity with a couple of short sporadic movements in-between. If like to think a ref couldn't be that poor!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He went out near the start, you can see him going limp.

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    He went out near the start, you can see him going limp.

If he went limp at the start then why was his hips and leg moving around 12 seconds before the ref stopped it. I agree he shouldn’t have gone cold but I think he was conserving his energy and waiting for the guys arms to tire

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement