Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

<snip>

Mod: That is not MMA 'News' or something for general chat - that is someones life and someones family, it is not appropriate to post about it on here, or make suggestions about how it will affect others that you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

I know nothing about the above but I don't think that's something you should be posting on boards, just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Aww, one of those moments where you arrive after the clean up and miss what happened, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Aww, one of those moments where you arrive after the clean up and miss what happened, lol.

You didn’t miss anything

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

Mellor wrote: »
    Holy crap. This is insane.

https://twitter.com/BrMassami/status/1031350697084649472

No exaggeration to say that was one of the worse stoppages I've ever witnessed. Was genuinely uncomfortable watch it go on and on.

Just to follow up, here's an article with interviews from both fighters, the ref and the promoter.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/21/17761774/mma-fighter-choked-unconscious-90-seconds-saw-death-close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He was out for 10 minutes afterwards. Sh*t that would be scary for the guys watching.
    That ref is clueless. Trying to justify it because his eyes were open. I honestly can't believe he's a black belt. Only smart thing he has said is that he'll retire from MMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Cyborg vs Nunes at ufc 232 later this year. Gotta say ufc have put together some great fights for the second half of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ccarr

Up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

ccarr wrote: »
    Up

Down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

ricero wrote: »
    Cyborg vs Nunes at ufc 232 later this year. Gotta say ufc have put together some great fights for the second half of the year.

I've been waiting for this one for ages! war nunes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

surely the jon jones part of that video cant be right?

USADA would take 10 million to let him be cleared and have him fight at ufc 230?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Zero-Cool wrote: »

I don’t see why Petis gets thrown back up to the top of the heap tbh. 3 wins in his last 8 fights and now potentially a title shot if he pulls off a win v Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I don’t see why Petis gets thrown back up to the top of the heap tbh. 3 wins in his last 8 fights and now potentially a title shot if he pulls off a win v Tony

Tony's going to maul him in my opinion. Usada done a number on Pettis big time.

Dtp1979 wrote: »

probably because he is the only person available to fight tony and they probably want tony to fight the winner on khabib V connor so it makes sense to have him fight at the same time. this would be with the assumption that tony beat petitis i assume

ASOT wrote: »
    Tony's going to mail him in my opinion. Usada done a number on Pettis big time.

i agree would be hard to see how tony would lose

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Anthony fighting on the same card as his brother after saying he’d refuse to do it again.

Has anyone in MMA actually ever followed through with something they’ve said?

Between Dana failing to tell the truth since about 1996 and fighters constantly backtracking, I’ve never seen anything like it in any other sport including football which is notorious for people talking bollocks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Paully D wrote: »
    Anthony fighting on the same card as his brother after saying he’d refuse to do it again.

Has anyone in MMA actually ever followed through with something they’ve said?

Between Dana failing to tell the truth since about 1996 and fighters constantly backtracking, I’ve never seen anything like it in any other sport including football which is notorious for people talking bollocks :pac:

In fairness I doubt he ever imagined having this opportunity again. This will be the biggest selling ppv of the year and if he wins he's right back to the top of the mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

My guess is Pettis. Everybody else bar Kevin Lee is matched up

Called it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Pettis gets these big matchups because his name still has pulling power and he seems to take any fight offered to him. Favouring Tony of course but you never know with Pettis, he could pull some random sub out of nowhere for the upset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

UFC 230 looks to be a much better card than 229 so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Gamb!t wrote: »
    UFC 230 looks to be a much better card than 229 so far.

Yet the Conor x factor is expected to sell 2 or 3 times more US PPVs

rodriguez out of fight with zabit. i was really looking forward to that fight

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    rodriguez out of fight with zabit. i was really looking forward to that fight

Yair sure as hell wasn’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Holloway v Ortega is back on at UFC 231 in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

If these main events of the next few ppvs hold up I reckon this could be the most successful year in its existance for the ufc.

Fair play to them for booking some cracking fights for the second half of the year. Still no headliner announced for ufc 230 though. Gotta think thats its one of GSP or perhaps a returning Jon Jones headling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ricero wrote: »
    If these main events of the next few ppvs hold up I reckon this could be the most successful year in its existance for the ufc.

Fair play to them for booking some cracking fights for the second half of the year. Still no headliner announced for ufc 230 though. Gotta think thats its one of GSP or perhaps a returning Jon Jones headling it.

Not a hope

Holloway vs Ortega / Nunes vs Cyborg are great fights on paper but won't sell very well at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Yeah great year for fans but that won't translate to money. 2015 had Mendes v McGregor, Rousey v Correira and Aldo vs McGregor within 6 months of each other

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

dulux99 wrote: »
    Yeah great year for fans but that won't translate to money. 2015 had Mendes v McGregor, Rousey v Correira and Aldo vs McGregor within 6 months of each other

Rousey-Holm too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Jake Ellenberger 6/1 against Bryan Barberena.

Poor Jake he used to be a top fighter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement