Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Official, Conor Vs Tony for the interim belt.

https://twitter.com/UFCEurope/status/1033675442157510656?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

So McGregor vs Pettis after Khabib and Tony pull out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

xtal191 wrote: »

Weirdly enough, that might not be as handy a fight for McGregor as it might seem. Petis is at his best when he doesn't have to worry about takedowns or people trying to clinch him, he could revert to his old game of playing at range and using his kicks way more without fear of the takedown. If he gets clipped obviously he's going night night but it might actually be an interesting match. Styles make fights and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Holloway Tcity in the works for 231

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

ASOT wrote: »
    Holloway Tcity in the works for 231

Hope Max doesn't almost die this time :( I want to see this fight so bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Definitely want to see that happen but I'm more interested in the two of them getting into the mix in an already studded 155 division. Both of them are enormous for 145.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Robbie Lawler v Stephen Thompson is being lined up for the first ESPN show in January.

cliggg wrote: »
    Robbie Lawler v Stephen Thompson is being lined up for the first ESPN show in January.

Also PVZ return fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Weirdly enough, that might not be as handy a fight for McGregor as it might seem. Petis is at his best when he doesn't have to worry about takedowns or people trying to clinch him, he could revert to his old game of playing at range and using his kicks way more without fear of the takedown. If he gets clipped obviously he's going night night but it might actually be an interesting match. Styles make fights and all that.

It'd be over in 60 seconds. Styles make miss-matches too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

xtal191 wrote: »

Weirdly enough, that might not be as handy a fight for McGregor as it might seem. Petis is at his best when he doesn't have to worry about takedowns or people trying to clinch him, he could revert to his old game of playing at range and using his kicks way more without fear of the takedown. If he gets clipped obviously he's going night night but it might actually be interesting match. Styles make fights and all that.

It’s a terrible fight for Petis. He’s never been able fight when pressured. He needs space and time to setup kicks, he’d be trapped against the cage and dropped in the first or second IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/BrendanSchaub/status/1034489950631165958?s=19

Quality trolling by Schaub but looking at the interest it drew I wouldn't confidently dismiss UFC doing it entirely under the current ownership's direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ERG89 wrote: »

Quality trolling by Schaub but looking at the interest it drew I wouldn't confidently dismiss UFC doing it entirely under the current ownership's direction.

Exactly - if he was in the UFC he'd prob be the biggest draw bar McGregor?.... Certainly a bigger draw than CM Punk and he has a far better Wrestling background.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

callaway92 wrote: »
    Exactly - if he was in the UFC he'd prob be the biggest draw bar McGregor?.... Certainly a bigger draw than CM Punk and he has a far better Wrestling background.

The event at the weekend cost $10 in the US, and had at least 800k buys on youtube as well 1m+ viewers on twitch which would have been illegal streams

It's a different kettle of fish to the what $60-$100 for a UFC PPV though, and considering most of his fans would be kids it would make little sense, at least with CM Punk wrestling fans are a little older and WWE had the $60 ppvs for years and fans were conditioned to special events being ppv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Who is Logan Paul?

Cowboys on Joe Rogan at the moment, there's some mad **** going on at Jackson wink at the moment.

Wow Cowboy's on a serious rant... talk about burning bridges!
    Lesson is: never ever drink and podcast esp if you haven't cooled off :D

Joe's kind of taking advantage of his emotional nature

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Wow Cowboy's on a serious rant... talk about burning bridges!
    Lesson is: never ever drink and podcast esp if you haven't cooled off :D

Joe's kind of taking advantage of his emotional nature

It's a shambles of a place if half of that was true, being able to pop in off the street and train with the pros, burning through new coach's, doesn't sound good at all.

It's a shambles of a place if half of that was true, being able to pop in off the street and train with the pros, burning through new coach's, doesn't sound good at all.

Oh, totally agreed on that.
    (I'm on like a 20min time delay on the podcast btw)

A lot of this seems like it's driven by Cowboy's ego - I mean if they'd decided to corner him he'd have kept quiet and overlooked it all because it still suited him?
    Cerrone's heading towards the end of his career now but no other camp will risk taking him on after that public airing of laundry. And it's bit uncool of him to do that to some of the other J-W fighters (calling out Michelle Waterson for example) - potentially embarrassing and compromising for them. I always think sort out your business/relationship problems privately; going nuclear isn't usually the best option long term

Ha ha and now they're doing their DMT/ayahuasca goblin song reminiscences and I'm out....
    Half an hour in and they're off their heads. Are other peoples high stories ever interesting or fascinating to anyone else? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

the ultimate fighter season 28 starts tonight? bt sports has it as its season 27?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    the ultimate fighter season 28 starts tonight? bt sports has it as its season 27?

Even BT have lost count

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭VW 1

I doubt joe is taking advantage, doesnt he consider cowboy (along with half his guests) as a personal friend?

Highs are never as fun to hear about unless you've experienced it, makes ****e listening to a lot of the time

VW 1 wrote: »
    I doubt joe is taking advantage, doesnt he consider cowboy (along with half his guests) as a personal friend?

Highs are never as fun to hear about unless you've experienced it, makes ****e listening to a lot of the time

Meh, it feels weird to me that he's monetising the friendship from a position of more power: The podcast benefits Joe not Cowboy. Joe's company Onnit sponsor Cowboy, technically making him Cowboy's boss and most stable source of income so there's that too... Now in fairness Rogan seems extremely supportive of his circle of friends in a rising tides type of way, but this time the whole "chug and chat" thing feels a little off given the dynamic. I suppose Joe is risking access to other J-W fighters in return? And I guess the public support of Joe would mean a lot to Donald. Does that even it out?

High/drunk stories are "you had to be there" s*&t unless you 1) as high as the tale teller 2) directly involved or 3) sober costar/foil of the story! No exceptions!!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Dunno does Till fill me with confidence for 228 betting wise. Seems absolutely drained

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I actually saw the fight with the young lad and it looked like an average White Collar Boxing match. It's possible that Paul was holding back so the fight would go to a draw, but what was on display was light years away from anything at the pro level.

UFC has always been willing to put on bull**** fights. This idea that the current ownership have a different direction is a fallacy.

I have no doubt they would consider putting this youtube guy against CM Punk or something like that.

UFC has always been willing to put on bull**** fights. This idea that the current ownership have a different direction is a fallacy.

I have no doubt they would consider putting this youtube guy against CM Punk or something like that.

In fiairness to the YouTube fella reading up about him he actually has proper wrestling experience from highschool and college.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Who is Logan Paul?
    A YouTuber who purposely wanted to film a suicide victim, went to a forest known as suicide forest in Japan to do so, never saw the video but believe it was done in a way that it was unexpected to find a suicide victim in the suicide forest :rolleyes:
    VW 1 wrote: »

Yeah 25mins mostly near the beginning maybe were worthwhile, rest was garbage. For all his precise defense of guns in other discussions pods like this and Rogans mask slips easily the man is a complete gun nut.

• Advertisement

In fiairness to the YouTube fella reading up about him he actually has proper wrestling experience from highschool and college.
    I was more saying that signing a dumb celebrity wouldn't be new direction from WME. People often look at the old days through rose-tinted glasses.

Zuffa put on tonnes of daft fights. Punk was signed under Zuffa. Toney. Kimbo (& Gannon). The crowd before Zuffa did the same kind of stuff too.

I don't think WME have done all that much in terms of changing the product.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement