Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I was more saying that signing a dumb celebrity wouldn't be new direction from WME. People often look at the old days through rose-tinted glasses.

Zuffa put on tonnes of daft fights. Punk was signed under Zuffa. Toney. Kimbo (& Gannon). The crowd before Zuffa did the same kind of stuff too.

I don't think WME have done all that much in terms of changing the product.

Kimbo at least had strong boxing fundamentals. They put him on TUF too. And he had knocked out Tank Abbot in under a minute in Elite XFC. He probably could have had a decent boxing career if he wanted. People like to sh*t on the backyard brawlers of Florida, but at the end of the day, they've still produced legit guys like Masvidal.

Toney was a legitimate high level boxer, albeit probably shot and at the end of his career, but he definitely still had 1 shot KO power.

Both were a bit of a throwback to the early UFC days where you had single discipline vs single discipline so people actually took them seriously. Dana used the Toney fight to try and legitimise MMA to boxing fans.

The likes of Punk, who is an entertainment athlete, is definitely a step in a direction we haven't really seen before. Hosting what would essentially be a white collar event would be a further step in a bad direction for the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭VW 1

For all his precise defense of guns in other discussions pods like this and Rogans mask slips easily the man is a complete gun nut.

Is he a gun nut though? All of his talk is generally about archery,never get the idea he is a massive gun nut, he rarely talks about having his own guns or shooting them.

Paully D wrote: »

The tweet is a bit of an embellishment. It wasn't the head wrestling coach, Izzy Martinez, but the receptionist to the chiropractor who got busted. MMAJunkie seems to believe his name is Chad Smith. I think he coaches wrestling part time there.

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/08/donald-cerrone-calls-jackson-wink-mma-gym-puppy-mill-mike-perry-ufc-denver

VW 1 wrote: »
    Is he a gun nut though? All of his talk is generally about archery,never get the idea he is a massive gun nut, he rarely talks about having his own guns or shooting them.

He does hunt pheasant occasionally with shotguns. He's spoken about reasonable gun control, such as banning AR 15's. Which makes sense, because people aren't shooting up schools with hunting rifles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

The video has been pulled from Youtube... Never mind its back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Lukker- wrote: »
    The likes of Punk, who is an entertainment athlete, is definitely a step in a direction we haven't really seen before. Hosting what would essentially be a white collar event would be a further step in a bad direction for the UFC.

Did Punk have any fighting experience from his youth? HS wrestling or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Dunno does Till fill me with confidence for 228 betting wise. Seems absolutely drained

Thought the same in a recent interview. Despite the last weigh-in hoopla, I don't doubt his determination to be on championship weight; I do wonder howver if his body is up to it, and at what cost.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Did Punk have any fighting experience from his youth? HS wrestling or anything?

No.

This was the guts of it:

S6uTYvK.gif

No.

This was the guts of it:

Ah. I assumed he must have had some kinda background. That explains some things. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

No.

This was the guts of it:

S6uTYvK.gif

Clinical

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No.

This was the guts of it:

S6uTYvK.gif

With skills like that I'm surprised Mickey Gall was able to sub him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I’ve loved Rogan’s podcasts over there years but I’m finding them harder and harder to listen to lately.

The first 30 minutes of the MMA show with Cowboy were superb and really insightful. I’m now a further hour in and all I’ve heard is Cowboy telling stories about tripping on drugs and Rogan with his usual “the only people who give out about it are those who haven’t done it.”

When you listen to his podcasts for a while you start to notice the same trends of how the conversation goes in almost every single one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

No.

This was the guts of it:

S6uTYvK.gif

After that failed armbar, the guy left himself WIDE open for a triangle. Surprised punk missed that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Just got sent a whatsapp video did jds just rampage a nightclub ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Just got sent a whatsapp video did jds just rampage a nightclub ?

This is?

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/08/junior-dos-santos-falsely-identified-nightclub-fight-video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

This is the video of mistaken identity

https://streamable.com/guoj1

the guy went full Terminator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

squawker wrote: »

The guy hits like a truck :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Gamb!t wrote: »
    The guy hits like a truck :eek:

Sure does when he’s prob 110kg swinging at guys 70-80kg. I’d like to see him against someone his own size. Scumbag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That Rogan podcast with Cerrone was insane, this story is ****in wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

squawker wrote: »

That video is from Russian nightclub:
    The drunk former police officer beat 7 people few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

A boy Darren. Can't believe this YouTube **** is picking up steam. Sage wants to fight him and Perry wants him to join Jackson wink FFS. Plus Ariel is retweeting anything got to do with him.

A joke they should drop it and let is die, if youtubers want to spend money on a substandard white collar event, let them off.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Sure does when he’s prob 110kg swinging at guys 70-80kg. I’d like to see him against someone his own size. Scumbag

Most of them were sucker punches too. That first lad to get knocked out wasn't even looking at him. Plus he dances like a twat. Probably didn't want to leave any witnesses alive.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    A boy Darren. Can't believe this YouTube **** is picking up steam. Sage wants to fight him and Perry wants him to join Jackson wink FFS. Plus Ariel is retweeting anything got to do with him.

They'd be better off ignoring him. Responding just gives him validity. But he has a huge following so maybe they know what they're at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Apparently that's not him. He wasn't even in the country at the time.

Chael had some decent banter for Jones on twitter.

https://twitter.com/chaelsonnen?lang=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

King Chael, best bs artist in the game, forget McGregor lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement