Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Not a hope Jones will be fighting at 230.

He’s going to get near enough his deserved 4 year ban thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Paully D wrote: »
    Not a hope Jones will be fighting at 230.

He’s going to get near enough his deserved 4 year ban thankfully.

Hopefully pal but stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Paully D wrote: »
    thankfully.
    ASOT wrote: »
    Hopefully

Let the man fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Let the man fight!

When he has served his ban for being a cheat yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mellor wrote: »
    I dunno about getting embarrassed on the ground. BJ was an elite jiu jitsu fighter when Ryan was a starting out. Ryan probably reached a higher technical level in leg locks, but BJ is good enough to avoid the quick and sub. I can this one being 15mins of each fighter avoiding each other.
    Somehow the UFC managed to pick a fight where it's a bad match up for both fighters

Sort of fight that would be great as a polaris sub only no-gi match but will be a boring mma fight.

BJ achieved far more in his short stint as a full time BJJ player than Hall ever did, and Hall was a fantastic practitioner. If anything BJ should be the favourite if/when it goes the the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sort of fight that would be great as a polaris sub only no-gi match but will be a boring mma fight.

BJ achieved far more in his short stint as a full time BJJ player than Hall ever did, and Hall was a fantastic practitioner. If anything BJ should be the favourite if/when it goes the the ground.

Agreed. Especially when you consider experience when grappling with strikes.
    Id also much rather see BJ go down the sub-only Nogi route than get back into the octagon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

The betting lines will be interesting. I think Hall will be a slight favourite. BJ might be worth a small bet

Ok. Then ban him for the shortest period of time possible and let the man fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Ok. Then ban him for the shortest period of time possible and let the man fight!

Do people want MMA to be taken seriously as a sport or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

The betting lines will be interesting. I think Hall will be a slight favourite. BJ might be worth a small bet

Behave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Like a company getting iso certification they only care about the tick mark not too worried about actually following through it seems to me.

Broch a prime example he could kill someone (well in the first 3 mins)

I love Ryan Hall. I use his DVDs a fair bit. But if he's favourite against BJ I'll be putting the fecking house on BJ to win.

There are 2 people in FW who can more than hold their own with Blinky McHeelhook on the ground, Ortega and Pen. Both have better striking than him and I think best him up when it comes to striking on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

I love Ryan Hall. I use his DVDs a fair bit. But if he's favourite against BJ I'll be putting the fecking house on BJ to win.

There are 2 people in FW who can more than hold their own with Blinky McHeelhook on the ground, Ortega and Pen. Both have better striking than him and I think best him up when it comes to striking on the ground.

I didn't say overwhelming favorite or anything just slight. People are writing BJ off. Just saying it'll be interesting to see the line

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

If people are putting money on Penn I'm gonna make a lot of money on Hall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

BJ Penn is one of my all time favourites, but jaysus how could you be backing him with any confidence these days.

dulux99 wrote: »
    BJ Penn is one of my all time favourites, but jaysus how could you be backing him with any confidence these days.

Because Ryan Hall's striking is about as good as Mark Hunt's jiu-jitsu, where as BJ's jiu-jitsu is world class, better even than Halls.
    I just don't see where Hall beats him. He doesn't have the power to KO him, doesn't have the ground advantage to sub him, won't out wrestle him and he can't strike with BJ. It's a perfect match for BJ to be honest. He can go in and not really have to worry too much.

Because Ryan Hall's striking is about as good as Mark Hunt's jiu-jitsu, where as BJ's jiu-jitsu is world class, better even than Halls.
    I just don't see where Hall beats him. He doesn't have the power to KO him, doesn't have the ground advantage to sub him, won't out wrestle him and he can't strike with BJ. It's a perfect match for BJ to be honest. He can go in and not really have to worry too much.

What about if BJ gasses after 3 minutes like he has in his last few fights?

Or tries to use that weird guard he tried against Frankie.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ryan Hall is a one trick pony, but anyone putting more than a small bet on BJ Penn these days needs to have a word with themselves IMO. Excellent fighter in his day, but he’s as washed up as washed up gets tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

How much would bj be on to show? Hardly worth his health at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

$150,000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

He obviously plans on eating more when all that Conor cash comes tooling in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Ah sure BJ is loaded and has been for a very long time. He just wants to fight, he doesn't need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

cliggg wrote: »
    Ah sure BJ is loaded and has been for a very long time. He just wants to fight, he doesn't need to.

Ya just heard that in the Bisping podcast a while ago. Born in to a very wealthy family just loves fighting. Respeckt

Taisumov 5lbs overweight v Desmond Green after crying about how it's into his visa issues holding him back.

I don't care what other people take seriously.

Let the man fight!

I don't care what other people take seriously.

Let the man fight!

Same. MMA will never be taken totally serious by the masses. Nor should it be. It lives in a weird corner of the sports world and always will, and that's fine by me.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Same. MMA will never be taken totally serious by the masses. Nor should it be. It lives in a weird corner of the sports world and always will, and that's fine by me.

People acting like Dana White or something, like they have a vested interest in the general public taking MMA seriously.

As a fan of the sport, I don't benefit from Jon Jones being banned. I lose out. Because I don't get to see the best of all time in massive fights v DC or whoever he's matched up against.

If people want to cheer on administrators and corrupt officials, the same officials who effectively banned Nick Diaz for life for smoking weed, and rejoice when guys have their livelihoods taken away that's up to them.

Let the man fight!

• Advertisement

People acting like Dana White or something, like they have a vested interest in the general public taking MMA seriously.

Agreed. I don't understand the mentality of people who strive for the approval of others when it comes to this sport. Who gives a f*ck if its widely accepted or not. I follow tonnes of widely accepted sports and none of them are as much craic as MMA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement