Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

In fairness there should be red lines through Bolt's records too.

When you use a former BALCO chemist as one of your main trainers for years you automatically fair the sniff test.

I'm not 100% in agreement there. I agree there are doubts but they have done tests on Bolt and reckon he is a genetically predisposed to being freakishly quick when it comes to sprinting. Some abnormal ratio between achilles tendon and calf muscles (elongated achilles tendon I think). Similar to that of a cheetah.

Obviously top class training and attitude were vitally important in his development also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Obviously top class training and attitude were vitally important in his development also.

Direct quote from Bolt's "trainer" before he started "training" Bolt about the 100m finals in Beijing.
    "the winner will not be clean. Not even any of the contestants will be clean. There is no doubt about it, the difference between 10.0 and 9.7 seconds is the drugs"

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MrStuffins wrote: »
    If people want to cheer on administrators and corrupt officials, the same officials who effectively banned Nick Diaz for life for smoking weed, and rejoice when guys have their livelihoods taken away that's up to them.

These officials aren hardly corrupt for banning Diaz. It was his third failed drugs test, he got 18 months. After that banned, he had 3 whereabouts failures. And got 12 months. What where they supposed to do at that point. 12 months at 33 is not a lifetime ban.
    You can say they weed shouldn't be on the banned list, and I'd agree with you. But the fact is, it is on the list. The testers dont control the list.

The Diaz bros don't care about the rules so can hardly complain when they get fined/suspended. Nate came out blatently vaping oil post fight (within the in-competition window). He luckily got a slap on the wrist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Lads honestly are ye for real? The UFC is nothing without USADA. Either allow everyone use steroids or no one. If it's not an even playing field and doping offenders are allowed go unpunished then half the intrigue of a matchup is ruined. I have no interest in seeing DC-Jones III if Jones is left off the hook. He's a cheat, he should get punished. I don't care how good he is or how much of a draw he is. A cheat is a cheat and it's not acceptable in any sport, not to mind a high-risk one like MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

https://streamable.com/e9ffb

Wow, did not spot this the other night. "the card is not set, I know things you don't know, hold your breath"

If it is Jones, which it probably is, it does make a mockery of the whole USADA programme. If the UFC can just interject and fiddle with paperwork and get someone off the hook like this. Would anyone be in the least bit surprised though? I know I wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

When the current USADA contract is up I think the UFC will either not re-sign completely or some new deal will be introduced that isn't as strict as the current one. They test an absurd amount compared to most other sports. The testing comes out of the UFC's pocket and the UFC is losing out on potential money due to some of their top fighters getting shelved. The new owners are all about the money and the USADA testing is a money pit. And I for one look forward to it if I'm right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

dulux99 wrote: »
    https://streamable.com/e9ffb

Wow, did not spot this the other night. "the card is not set, I know things you don't know, hold your breath"

If it is Jones, which it probably is, it does make a mockery of the whole USADA programme. If the UFC can just interject and fiddle with paperwork and get someone off the hook like this. Would anyone be in the least bit surprised though? I know I wouldn't.

At this stage it might aswell be Brock vs DC

At this stage it might aswell be Brock vs DC

Could very well be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

An error on the UFC's website saw a women's strawweight title fight between Rose Namajunas and Joanna Jedrzejczyk briefly advertised as UFC 230's main event.

Definitely not happening a 3rd time.
    Joanna vs Valentina a possibility though I'd guess for the vacant FlyW belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I've no problem with that either. If someone creates an MMA promotion that allows steroid use, for whatever reason, so be it. Let them at it.

It’s called bellator

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It’s called bellator

Bellator doesn't allow steroid use, they use let the athletic commissions of the states they have events in run their own programmes like Boxing does and the UFC used to. In fact the UFC still have to let the state athletic commissions do random testing.

Apparently Sage Northcutt is a free agent (not re-signed after contract ended) and is angling for a boxing match with Logan Paul.
    Fupping hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Fromvert wrote: »
    The testing comes out of the UFC's pocket and the UFC is losing out on potential money due to some of their top fighters getting shelved. The new owners are all about the money and the USADA testing is a money pit. And I for one look forward to it if I'm right.

So you are concerned about the UFCs financials and hope they give more leverage to drug users over naturally working athletes so you can be safe in the knowledge the bigwigs are much more comfortable?? May aswell order the reality show the Ultimate Druggy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Brock isnt meant to be cleared until Jan but whats rules when nyc needs a headliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

It's a nice early evening main card today. 7pm on BT2. I could get used to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

colby is back as interim champion....... is there anything Dana wont do...

two fighters missed weight for tonights card one missed by 5lbs...

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    colby is back as interim champion....... is there anything Dana wont do...

two fighters missed weight for tonights card one missed by 5lbs...

Unification fight confirmed for MSG so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ugh, so disinterested in that fight. I feel sad that a fight like that could main event in Madison Square Garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

martyos121 wrote: »
    Ugh, so disinterested in that fight. I feel sad that a fight like that could main event in Madison Square Garden.

I'm the opposite. I enjoy the antics of Colby and it will be good to see Tyron being cheered for once.

In a ideal world i would have Holloway vs T-City headline but Max just cant be relied upon these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

So you are concerned about the UFCs financials and hope they give more leverage to drug users over naturally working athletes so you can be safe in the knowledge the bigwigs are much more comfortable?? May aswell order the reality show the Ultimate Druggy too.

I don't care about their financials and never said I do but they do, actually think the fighters are extremely underpaid but are too fractured/lazy/afraid/stupid to do anything to help themselves as a group. But I think the UFC will can it when they get the chance for those financial reasons. I want to see the best fighters fight and believe drug testing in sports has lost and is a waste of time as such a huge majority take them and are ahead of the testers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

martyos121 wrote: »

i really want to see someone shut the smug **** colby up. i cant see him having anything woodley cant handle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Woodley excels at neutralising his opponents strengths.

He may be a hugely unlikeable ball bag, but he's a clever one

Colby is the perfect heel to get fans on side with Woodley.

Mellor wrote: »

And Woodley will murder him.
    There isn't a single area where Colby can hang with Tyron. He's an inferior wrestler, an inferior striker and He's been more suspect in the deep rounds.

He's going to get murdered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Unless you're actually going to the fight at MSG, does it really matter what the prestige of the main event is?

Unless you're actually going to the fight at MSG, does it really matter what the prestige of the main event is?
    Well if you are planning on watching, it kinda does matter. As a fan, I want to watch big fights. PPVs have bigger match ups than Fight night events. And the MSG card is expected to be one if the bigger PPVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,761 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Mellor wrote: »

And Woodley will murder him.
    There isn't a single area where Colby can hang with Tyron. He's an inferior wrestler, an inferior striker and He's been more suspect in the deep rounds.

He's going to get murdered
    Your wrong on one account, Colby has better Cardio than Woodley by a good distance,
    Woodley is a powerful fast twitch guy , so his gas tank is never going to be stellar,
    Lately Woodley has learned to control his output so he doesn't tire as quickly but Colby can put a pace on and that will be his game plan to be in Woodley's face and make him work for the whole 5 minutes,
    Is it enough to beat Woodley maybe not but Colby certainly has better Cardio than Woodley ,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Johnny Hendricks is fighting Brennan Ward in that bare knuckle organisation. Christ how the mighty have fallen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

dulux99 wrote: »
    Johnny Hendricks is fighting Brennan Ward in that bare knuckle organisation. Christ how the mighty have fallen.

I'd watch it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement