Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ASOT wrote: »
    Barao nearly 6lbs over for his fight tomorrow. Disgrace

The top comment on reddit sums it up perfectly
    In fairness, he, like everyone else, had no idea there's a fight tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

The top comment on reddit sums it up perfectly

Hahaha that's spot on, only reason Iv been following the event was to see if Anders missed weight. He was looking very chunky in interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Does anyone feel like Helwani is not the force he used to be since going to ESPN? He's probably making much better coin but his podcast is just not the same and not as easily accessible as the old mma fighting version, and it seems like his finger isn't as on the pulse as it once was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

All these reporters, Chael Luke Thomas etc, falling over themselves in awe of the brilliance of McGregor at the press conference. They should pop over to Dublin and hang outside supermacs on a Saturday night and marvel at the poetry

This was an interesting listen - Tom Egan talking about growing up and his move into MMA, being first Irish fighter in UFC and what it meant to him. He seems sound out, and really his own person - mentions his relationship with McGregor in a really low key way, just touching on how they trained together. Very non-gossipy if you know what I mean - all about the sport and his background and what he's doing now. It's a Boston podcast.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/power-of-the-tribe-podcast/id1407074442

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JThAhRyM91g

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

dulux99 wrote: »
    Does anyone feel like Helwani is not the force he used to be since going to ESPN? He's probably making much better coin but his podcast is just not the same and not as easily accessible as the old mma fighting version, and it seems like his finger isn't as on the pulse as it once was

I don't know how anyone listens to him. Nothing about the actual fights just stirring **** and taking digs at UFC.Really gave up on it when he cried live on air. What a steamer. No real guests but Anik an Florian is the best mma podcast I can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Porthallian

I don't know how anyone listens to him. Nothing about the actual fights just stirring **** and taking digs at UFC.Really gave up on it when he cried live on air. What a steamer. No real guests but Anik an Florian is the best mma podcast I can find.

No real guests?
    They have the "Ray Longo minute, starring Ray Longo" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Woodley out with a hand injury for 2-3 months says Helwani, so it'll not be him and Covington at 230.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Woodley out with a hand injury for 2-3 months says Helwani, so it'll not be him and Covington at 230.

At this stage i reckon they will bump the Diaz fight to a 5 round main event unless its Dillashaw vs Cejudo or Cruz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Michael Bispings podcast 'Believe you me' is a fantastic mma podcast imo.

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    At this stage i reckon they will bump the Diaz fight to a 5 round main event unless its Dillashaw vs Cejudo or Cruz

Dustin pushing for the fight to be for the "165" belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dustin pushing for the fight to be for the "165" belt.

I don't hate this idea, not one bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

It's time for a 165 division and for WW to move to 175. It would be better for pretty much everyone.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I don't hate this idea, not one bit.

It's time for a 165 division and for WW to move to 175. It would be better for pretty much everyone.

I agree comeatly. It's mental that it hasn't happened yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,506 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Agreed. I think you and me have been talking about the need for 165/175 for a few years at this stage.
    I really don't understand why any fan, or promotion wouldn't.

The new divisions will make wait cutting worse IMO. The likes of Woolley will be cutting to 165. Sure a few middleweight will be cutting to 175 too

The new divisions will make wait cutting worse IMO. The likes of Woolley will be cutting to 165. Sure a few middleweight will be cutting to 175 too

Not of they brought in the same measures One FC use or got every commission on board with the CSAC weight cutting limits.

Not of they brought in the same measures One FC use or got every commission on board with the CSAC weight cutting limits.

Can't see that happening anytime soon though. The UFC don't have the clout to influence any individual commission in how they do things, let alone expecting them all to come together as one. They can't even get individual commissions to agree on a set of rules inside the cage, let alone outside of it.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Can't see that happening anytime soon though. The UFC don't have the clout to influence any individual commission in how they do things, let alone expecting them all to come together as one. They can't even get individual commissions to agree on a set of rules inside the cage, let alone outside of it.

They can bring in there own weight cutting rules like one so if things were easy but Someone will have to die before they do is the reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Woodley would not even try make 165 in my opinion. He barely makes 170 as it is. I'd bet he would be delighted to jump up to 175.

• Advertisement

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Woodley would not even try make 165 in my opinion. He barely makes 170 as it is. I'd bet he would be delighted to jump up to 175.

He said after the till fight he'd go to 165

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

For every person why might try cut further to 165 there's 4 more like Till or Gastelum or Cowboy who could stop fighting in the wrong division and go down to closer to their natural division or up to a new division without a massive jump from 170 to 185.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,410 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I do wonder where these new divisions would leave the likes of Gunnar Nelson. He cuts from around 175 as it is I’ve read, so does he eliminate the cut entirely from his camps or cut 10 pounds and likely be more competitive at 165? I know he’s against cutting in general but 10 pounds won’t kill him by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

He said after the till fight he'd go to 165

Really? I'd be shocked if he could make that weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Beersmith

martyos121 wrote: »
    I do wonder where these new divisions would leave the likes of Gunnar Nelson. He cuts from around 175 as it is I’ve read, so does he eliminate the cut entirely from his camps or cut 10 pounds and likely be more competitive at 165? I know he’s against cutting in general but 10 pounds won’t kill him by any means.

Of course 165. It would be crazy otherwise.

I don't know, but he says he would. You'll get loads of guys moving down in weight rather than up I think. The size advantage is too tempting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,506 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He'd make it easily with some notice.
    He just woukdn't make it from the same weight he cuts to 170 from.

I think last nights card is the first UFC card since about 2006 where I haven't been bothered my arse watching a single fight from.

Moraes showing saunders how he caught him in the triangle during the fight. Proper class.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoDVKcMno6X/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=15p6i18ydtszg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I don't know if this guy is a reliable source or not but he tweeted this about Alvarez

https://twitter.com/TarsoDoria/status/1044207611678257152

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement