Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

McGregor is not going to sit out till September lads ye come out with some ****.

Ye.......that wouldn’t be like him at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Ye.......that wouldn’t be like him at all

It wouldn't be! He's proved throughout his career that he is a very active fighter. Last year being the exception due to the child and boxing match.
    The man is obsessed with fighting hell fight 3 times this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I'm fooking telling ye lads...he'll do nuttin...it will be him vs the gsp on the msg card in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,798 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Another one bites the dust. Hall never showed up to weigh in, can't stand him and was looking forward to seeing Vitor go crazy on him. Vitor is a gas man though, asking for 10 mil or this was gonna be his last fight.

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/952227757718634496

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

He's been rushed to hospital and it's very serious apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Uhoh...hopefully he's alright

Django99 wrote: »
    He's been rushed to hospital and it's very serious apparently

Where are you reading that it's very serious ? Can't see anything about it on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭The White Feather

dulux99 wrote: »
    Where are you reading that it's very serious ? Can't see anything about it on Twitter

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/952241009605390336

Ok...no real indication from Helwanis tweet there that it's "very serious"? Helwani doesn't even know what's happened

Also Paige tweeted and said "it was the scariest thing I've ever seen" whatever it was .

• Advertisement

Ok...no real indication from Helwanis tweet there that it's "very serious"? Helwani doesn't even know what's happened

Well this doesn't sound good. I think she is a teammate

https://twitter.com/PaigeVanzantUFC/status/952235783733284865

These are fairly remarkable stats in this tweet

https://twitter.com/MikeBohnMMA/status/952239513950015488

Fighters weigh in while getting checked out before entering the octagon. That's the only way to stop this nonsense.

Fighters weigh in while getting checked out before entering the octagon. That's the only way to stop this nonsense.

Would this not lead to fighters competing while dehydrated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Whatever One FC are bringing in to stop weight cutting should be explored.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Django99 wrote: »

Would this not lead to fighters competing while dehydrated?
    Of course it would. Ridiculous suggestion.

That would be so much worse. Fighters will always find a way to try and get an advantage by dehydrating themselves. Getting Ko'd in a weight cutting state would be fatal

Just go back to basics like UFC 1! No Weights just a jock strap,gloves and gum-shield like McGregor said! After all he took on Diaz who had 100lbs and wayyyyyy taller than him! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Just go back to basics like UFC 1! No Weights just a jock strap,gloves and gum-shield like McGregor said! After all he took on Diaz who had 100lbs and wayyyyyy taller than him! :D

There was one person wearing a single glove in UFC 1.

That would be so much worse. Fighters will always find a way to try and get an advantage by dehydrating themselves. Getting Ko'd in a weight cutting state would be fatal

They wouldn't have any advantage, that's the point! If the fight is at lightweight both have to be 155lbs in the octagon. Tell me why a fighter would dehydrate if there is no advantage to be gained!

• Advertisement

Of course it would. Ridiculous suggestion.

Bright spark why would a fighter dehydrate when he and his opponent would have to be very same weight in the octagon

No. You're wrong. It's an idiotic suggestion.

Ariel says Poor Hall suffered a seizure in the middle of it all. Poor fella

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Bright spark why would a fighter dehydrate when he and his opponent would have to be very same weight in the octagon

Oh god. If you don't understand you really have to think it through more.

Beersmith wrote: »
    Oh god. If you don't understand you really have to think it through more.

No I don't understand at all. You obviously don't either if you can't tell me why a fighter would dehydrate if there was no advantage to be gained from it

Arie gave a bit more info. Obviously he mans fainted!

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/952261912594657280

No I don't understand at all. You obviously don't either if you can't tell me why a fighter would cut weight if there was no advantage to be gained from it

A fighter will always, always, always look for an advantage. If he thinks he can be be 1lb heavier than the guy he's fighting then he will exhaust that opportunity. If you think same day weigh ins will eradicate weight cutting then youre unbelievably naive. Fighters will cut just as much weight and you're just robbing them of the 24 hour recovery window and therefore it's 10 times more dangerous. I've literally never seen anyone else ever suggesting same day weigh ins.

A fighter will always, always, always look for an advantage. If he thinks he can be be 1lb heavier than the guy he's fighting then he will exhaust that opportunity. If you think same day weigh ins will eradicate weight cutting then youre unbelievably naive. Fighters will cut just as much weight and you're just robbing them of the 24 hour recovery window and therefore it's 10 times more dangerous. I've literally never seen anyone else ever suggesting same day weigh ins.

Are you missing the point altogether or what? There would be no weight advantage. He could cut all he likes, he'd still have to weigh the same weight as his opponent.

Joe Rogan suggested on fight night weigh ins before actually.

Are you missing the point altogether or what? There would be no weight advantage. He could cut all he likes, he'd still have to weigh the same weight as his opponent.

Joe Rogan suggested on fight night weigh ins before actually.

I think it's clear that only one person here is missing the point pal.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/UnderGround/Munson-Death-a-case-against-same-day-weigh-ins:2385433 have a read off this

Joe rogan also suggests holding MMA fights on American football fields and fighting without gloves. I suppose they're great ideas too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

A fighter who fights at say 155lbs won't walk around and maintain that weight, he'll be a few over even if he knows it's same day weigh in. He'll think his diet/nutrition and training will be perfect and he'll be 155lbs on the day.

Fighter ends messing up his diet/training and isn't at 155lbs come fight day, he'll cut the water to avoid being fined/pulled from the card. 90% of them are not making enough to be able to deal with a fine or missing a fight altogether, they'll do whatever they can to make that weight.

They'll start with oh I need to cut 1/2 lbs on the day to make weight. He fights and wins and thinks that wasn't so bad, maybe I can cut 3/4 lbs next time and so on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement