Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

https://twitter.com/mmajunkie/status/1044730856814735361?s=21

No doubt his manager (and take a wild stab at who it is!) will be out defending him shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Fromvert wrote: »
    Yeah was wondering if they were just trying to push for it. Still no main and tickets on sale in the morning.

If true McGregor will likely get a crack at the winner regardless of what happens in his fight with Khabib which will send people crazy!

That's probably the main event now if it's for a title if say.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fromvert wrote: »
    Diaz and Poirier saying they're fighting for the new 165lb belt.
    ASOT wrote: »
    That's probably the main event now if it's for a title if say.

It's not for the title. The two lads are just selling wolf tickets. Hoping that it picks up steam and forces the UFC to go with it.

Mellor wrote: »
    It's not for the title. The two lads are just selling wolf tickets. Hoping that it picks up steam and forces the UFC to go with it.

We'll see what happens anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Two lads texting eachother and winding up Dana. To launch a 165 division they'd have to move WW to 175. It's the right thing to do, but probably the wrong fighters for the inaugural title fight in the new division of it ever does happen. Especially DO, he was fighting 145 bit long ago, it's not like he particularly benefits from the new division.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Have to wonder how on earth they've managed to **** this up so badly. Maybe the plan was to have McGregor back in New York but the commission wasn't keen on it?

Paully D wrote: »

No doubt his manager (and take a wild stab at who it is!) will be out defending him shortly.

Just read the article, there was a used condom in her room, he said he didn't go to the house.... Test the condom. If it's his bingo, if not he's free? Seems simple.

ASOT wrote: »
    Paully D wrote: »

Just read the article, there was a used condom in her room, he said he didn't go to the house.... Test the condom. If it's his bingo, if not he's free? Seems simple.
    Not necessarily. Doesn't look good, but just because he might have lied about going to her house doesn't prove he's guilty of rape

Not necessarily. Doesn't look good, but just because he might have lied about going to her house doesn't price he's guilty of rape

I worded that badly apologies I was basically leaning towards the opposite end. That he could be cleared very easy it they test it and it's not his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Think DC is done at light-heavy weight so i can understand taking the title off him but it should be Jones vs Gustaffson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Romero pulled out of the Costa fight on this same card.
    UFC is slowly becoming farcical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Romero pulled out of the Costa fight on this same card.
    UFC is slowly becoming farcical
    He shouldn't have fought Costa. He has missed weight twice in a row and really struggled to make it the fight before those 2, other than being paid what would he have gained by fighting him? He is 41, he should move up.

cliggg wrote: »
    He shouldn't have fought Costa. He has missed weight twice in a row and really struggled to make it the fight before those 2, other than being paid what would he have gained by fighting him? He is 41, he should move up.

My point was that he cited in injury as a reason he wouldn't be on the card.

"Romero said an orbital injury prevented him from making the date, and that he still needs four or five more months to completely recover".

The fact remains that the UFC are becoming desperate to find a main event and are willing to fabricate another belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Fighters will do anything for a big payday. Including fighting injured.

Jones v Gus is the fight to make.

There's no narrative or history to Romero v Gus

Jones v Gus is the fight to make.

There's no narrative or history to Romero v Gus

Without a doubt. I assume theyre hoping for a Gus win and a big Jones vs Gustaffson staredown afterwards.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Without a doubt. I assume theyre hoping for a Gus win and a big Jones vs Gustaffson staredown afterwards.

I'm just not a fan of the fight at all. I've seen bigger/better fights headline fight nights (minus the possible belt)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Yeah I agree. Romero v Gus does nothing for me other than seeing what Romero is like moving up a weight class and the return of Gus. But we could get that with them fighting other people.

Creating another interim just for the sake of it is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

New mma podcast up on off the ball. "Off the brawl". Petsey , Duke Roufas, Pat Healy an Paul Felder on it. Hope they keep this going a good listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

BREAKING: Eleven Sports to broadcast UFC in UK and Ireland from 2019

Expected but finally confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Fúck

They're very careful with the wording. "Majority of fights" will be on Eleven. Means there's scope for the biggest cards to be on PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They're very careful with the wording. "Majority of fights" will be on Eleven. Means there's scope for the biggest cards to be on PPV.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/ufc-rights-eleven-sports-uk-ireland

The multi-year deal, which starts in 2019, gives Eleven coverage of all 42 live UFC events next year, along with more than 150 hour of original and archive programming.

Eleven said that it also has the option to make some events from the mixed martial arts promotion (MMA) available in partnership with other broadcast platforms.

Meaning it could be on BT or Sky?

The Nal wrote: »

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/ufc-rights-eleven-sports-uk-ireland

The multi-year deal, which starts in 2019, gives Eleven coverage of all 42 live UFC events next year, along with more than 150 hour of original and archive programming.

Eleven said that it also has the option to make some events from the mixed martial arts promotion (MMA) available in partnership with other broadcast platforms.

Eleven have been talking to them to try and get onto their platforms, presumably Virgin too, for a while.

Would be unlike the TV providers to give it to you for free I'd say. An add-on with a healthy margin on Eleven's digital price or else they'll add it to their sports packages and tell you the price of it is going up a tenner a month or something.

Pain in the hole. Not that this bothers me particularly, but it also means that the only fans of the sport over here are going to be the existing fans. No scope for people to get into the sport due to having the channel, people like us will have to source out eleven sports. It's just not the same as having it on a cable channel.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Pain in the hole. Not that this bothers me particularly, but it also means that the only fans of the sport over here are going to be the existing fans. No scope for people to get into the sport due to having the channel, people like us will have to source out eleven sports. It's just not the same as having it on a cable channel.
    In fairness, they're a commercial organisation. Growing the sport, or similar, isn't part of their remit. Paying off a 4bn acquisition generally wouldn't let you do anything other than go with the best offer on the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

The Nal wrote: »

Could also mean they expecting €20 for each PPV

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement