Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

That's where it originates from, and as such it's applied to TV shows where the plot and characters become boring and people start losing interest so the writers start doing stupid implausible **** to try win back viewers. It doesn't really apply to sports.

I think it applies to anything that has been done to death, to the point of not being entertaining anymore. If somebody says something has jumped the shark, you get what they mean.

But hey....that's just one mans opinion

I'm gutted about O'Malley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

That's where it originates from, and as such it's applied to TV shows where the plot and characters become boring and people start losing interest so the writers start doing stupid implausible **** to try win back viewers. It doesn't really apply to sports.

I applied the phrase to the company, the UFC - not the sport itself, this is the second time I've had to explain this. My point being in the last few years the UFC have gotten more and more ridiculous regarding the lengths they'll go to just to promote a "title fight", to the point where its getting out of control - hence my use of that phrase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Sean O Malley what a bloody idiot. A huge chance given to him with plenty of eyes watching him and he ****s it up.

No symphathy for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Bizarrely, Sugar Sean's was the complete opposite :)

I suppose people assumed it was weed given the his fashion choices. But makes no sense for an out of comp test.
    The tainted supp could be anything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Mellor wrote: »
    I suppose people assumed it was weed given the his fashion choices. But makes no sense for an out of comp test.
    The tainted supp could be anything though.

Or the thing may not be a tainted supplement at all. Who knows what the truth is anymore. 'Everybody is on steroids' is probably as close to a version of reality as we're likely to get.

Not discounting some errors made in earnest, but am questioning the legitimacy of testing and sentencing, and the UFC's role in same. Strange times.

• Advertisement

Or the thing may not be a tainted supplement at all. Who knows what the truth is anymore. 'Everybody is on steroids' is probably as close to a version of reality as we're likely to get.

Not discounting some errors made in earnest, but am questioning the legitimacy of testing and sentencing, and the UFC's role in same. Strange times.
    Sean broke the news that he had a violation. He said USADA have identified the supplement and are retesting. He didn't have to say anything, so I'm inclined to believe him.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Sean broke the news that he had a violation. He said USADA have identified the supplement abdvare retesting. He didn't have to say anything, so I'm inclined to believe him.

Sean did brake the news, and he didn't have to say anything - but that post was definitely damage limitation and straight up PR material. Right down to the lovely paragraph indentations.

And it was Novitzky and Sean that seemingly identified the tainted supplement, not USADA, who have flagged him.

I don't know, I yawn when I see these cases now. Really, you're a pro athlete with the might of the premier fight promotion behind you and you or someone in your team can't get it together to ensure your supplements are clean? Ok. Call me cynical so...

Also, UFC can't seem to catch a break star building these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Sean broke the news that he had a violation. He said USADA have identified the supplement and are retesting. He didn't have to say anything, so I'm inclined to believe him.

It's an age old tactic of 'getting ahead of the story' so he can put his own spin on it. So I don't exactly give it much credence. If he's telling the truth, we should find out very quickly.

I like Sean O'Malley and hope he isn't lying, but that statement means diddly squat. The media/fans would have put 2+2 together very quickly when he wasn't involved in the build up to 229 without any injury news.

Sean didn't break the news that he had a violation, some randomers on forums did. I heard it a couple of days ago.

He confirmed it and gave details but the story was already out there.

He confirmed it and gave details but the story was already out there.
    Not from USADA which would have been the case in the past.

To the posts above, I fully understand what damage limitation is. But it's not like the details are never coming out. If it turns out he's popped for steroids, the taint supplement story looks like BS. But if it ends up being something available OTC, then it makes a lot more sense.
    Wait and see I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Sean's on the MMA Hour tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sean came across very genuine there. Feel bad for the guy.

Sean came across very genuine there. Feel bad for the guy.

I missed it, what was his excuse? Tainted supplement or too much weed?

Caffeine supplement.

Caffeine supplement.

Is that what the kids are calling Charlie these days :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Why would anyone take a caffeine supplement?

dulux99 wrote: »
    I missed it, what was his excuse? Tainted supplement or too much weed?
    Is that what the kids are calling Charlie these days :D

Weed and charlie are both kosher at this stage though.
    Even workouts with caffeine and banned stimulants are in-comp only.

CatFromHue wrote: »

serious question?
    Caffeine is one of the most effective and widely used sports supplements.

Here's the clip O'Malley was talking about to Ariel where he's discussing taking caffeine pills in the build up.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Fights announced for December and beyond but still nothing about MSG card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Fairly common really.
    I take it most days seeing as I don't drink coffee

Valentina Shevchenko vs Sijara Eubanks for the MSG headliner. Just a terrible, terrible main event. Was going to go to the MSG show this year if McGregor wasn't going to fight, came pretty close to booking flights earlier in the year. Dodged a bullet there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Valentina Shevchenko vs Sijara Eubanks for the MSG headliner. Just a terrible, terrible main event. Was going to go to the MSG show this year if McGregor wasn't going to fight, came pretty close to booking flights earlier in the year. Dodged a bullet there

What happened to her fight with joanna

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    What happened to her fight with joanna

They needed a main event to stick on 230 and JJ wasn't up for it on a month's notice I presume. Can't say I blame her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

They needed a main event to stick on 230 and JJ wasn't up for it on a month's notice I presume. Can't say I blame her.

Valid point considering she was already beaten by Valentina In mauy thai

https://twitter.com/DanFromOR/status/1047182440626675712?s=09

Joe Rogans live reaction to the news. "No offence but I don't even know who Sijara Eubanks is and I'm the commentator for the UFC"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Might as well just have Diaz/Poirier in a non title fight main event. This fight will be a beat down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Are the tickets sold for nyc card

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement