Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Deedsie wrote: »
    What's wrong with Blind boy? Far worse people he could be listening too

Because he's a clown that already gets too much attention paid to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

The more I think of the Conor situation the more I think he should just retire and go live a luxury life with his girlfriend and kid.

Remember him saying about Aldo “ he is on his way out “

Could Conor’s heart ever really be into it like when he was chasing Aldo ? Don’t think he wants it anymore . I know he would only go back for big money ad only 1 or 2 more fights max if he does come back . I always thought Conor would easliy beat a fighter like Max 10 times out of 10 but imagine Max vs Conor at 155 . Max would be so much hungrier and would come in in unbelievable hungry and if Conor couldn’t knock him out early a fighter like Max could cause Conor problems these days . Unless Conor is still willing to put the work in ..

Think Max , Ortega and even Poirier & 155 would be a tougher fight for Conor than Khabib .

Hopefully if he comes back it’s Khabib to take belt back and then Diaz 3

Then call to a day ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

If a sap with a Spar bag on his head is managing to get more light shone onto mental health in this country that's fine by me. Horrible to think that suicide is the biggest killer of young men in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

John_D80 wrote: »
    There are thousands of people who used to post on boards that have not checked this site in years.

Just because he posted here a handful of times is not a good reason to assume he checks these pages. In fact I'd happily wager he hasn't even thought of this site in many years.

Bet he has.

He definitely had a chat to Kavanagh about boards when he was doing his well on here last year. He probably had a read of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

mdwexford wrote: »
    Bet he has.

He definitely had a chat to Kavanagh about boards when he was doing his well on here last year. He probably had a read of it.

If he did, I imagine he bailed pretty quickly and wouldn't be back for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

mdwexford wrote: »
    Bet he has.

Do you mean Kavanaghs AMA?

Why do you think they would have discussed that at all? They both do numerous media spots/interviews etc. Do they talk about every one? Doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

The point is that he's a massive international star who, worth an absolute fortune and he's reacting to the musings of some insignificant, obscure gob****e with a bag on his head.
    It's worse than if Cristiano Ronaldo got upset and dragged into a war of words with Eamon Dunphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

The point is that he's a massive international star who, worth an absolute fortune and he's reacting to the musings of some insignificant, obscure gob****e with a bag on his head.
    It's worse than if Cristiano Ronaldo got upset and dragged into a war of words with Eamon Dunphy.
    not a good comparison

they are both Irish and in their late 20's

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

not a good comparison

they are both Irish and in their late 20's

The fact he's bothered by people like that saying stuff like that is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Blind boy - while having a bag on his head, isnt an idiot - he speaks a lot of sense and tries to instill good in young men specifically. If you want to be heard, do something to get noticed, - in this case, unfortunately, it was putting a bag on your head!

I'd bet none of the people criticizing the podcast actually listened to it. He comes across very well and deeply genuine!

And also, it's a podcast - you dont have to look at the bag on his head!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I have my issues with Blindboy but yeah he's far from an idiot.

I'm surprised McGregor threatened him as that's a bully move.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

I don't expect to see McGregor fight in the UFC for at least another year, if ever.

The LW division is buzzing without him anyway, Last week Khabib won the belt, tonight Porier scored a big stoppage win over Gaethje ( Called out Khabib in the post fight), And next week we have Barbosa Vs Lee. Tony Ferguson is there, Al iaquinta. The division is stacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,887 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I have my issues with Blindboy but yeah he's far from an idiot.

I'm surprised McGregor threatened him as that's a bully move.

All build up for the next mega fight. Blindboy will have better odds/chance than McG did against MW. McG is a marketing genius

Plus BB has been training for years

Uncontrolled Flying Carts!

• Site Banned Posts: 9 Incredibles II

Deedsie wrote: »
    Very talented, intelligent and informed guy in my opinion. Much more negative voices in the public eye.

He likes to think he's intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ardinn wrote: »
    And also, it's a podcast - you dont have to look at the bag on his head!!

It's not about looking at or not looking at the spar bag.
    The real conundrum is whether or not he wears the bag while recording the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

In a McGregor thread. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

miocicmma wrote: »
    I don't expect to see McGregor fight in the UFC for at least another year, if ever.

The LW division is buzzing without him anyway, Last week Khabib won the belt, tonight Porier scored a big stoppage win over Gaethje ( Called out Khabib in the post fight), And next week we have Barbosa Vs Lee. Tony Ferguson is there, Al iaquinta. The division is stacked.

Buzzing is a bit much.
    Of the 6 contenders you mentioned. I'd be surprised in anyone genuinely put anyone them in ahead of McGregor if it was within their power. Many would claim they would of course. This thread is evidence enough of that.

Tony isn't in the mix for 12 months minimum.
    Barboza v Khabib II? Not a hope.
    Gaethje just lost two on the trot.
    Lee lost the interim fight. Will probably lose to Barboza.
    I like Iaquinta. But if he didn't step in last weekend you wouldn't have even mentioned him.

The events of the last 2 weeks have screwed the whole division over. We've gone from Conor v Tony V Khabib vying for the title. To Khabib left holding with it on his tobler.
    All LW has going for it right now is Alvarez v Dustin rematch for back up contender status should McGregor be unavailable in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Was just turning on the Porier v Gaethje fight
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,584 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's amazing how famous Conor has become. He hasn't fought since last August and this thread gets updated daily. He is in the news every day too. The cazy stuff that happened a short time ago just raises his profile I think.

The man will find it easy to make money outside the UFC if and when he decides to part ways with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's amazing how famous Conor has become. He hasn't fought since last August and this thread gets updated daily. He is in the news every day too. The cazy stuff that happened a short time ago just raises his profile I think.

The man will find it easy to make money outside the UFC if and when he decides to part ways with them.

He's in the news the way Larry Murphy was in the news.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Buzzing is a bit much.
    Of the 6 contenders you mentioned. I'd be surprised in anyone genuinely put anyone them in ahead of McGregor if it was within their power. Many would claim they would of course. This thread is evidence enough of that.

Tony isn't in the mix for 12 months minimum.
    Barboza v Khabib II? Not a hope.
    Gaethje just lost two on the trot.
    Lee lost the interim fight. Will probably lose to Barboza.
    I like Iaquinta. But if he didn't step in last weekend you wouldn't have even mentioned him.

The events of the last 2 weeks have screwed the whole division over. We've gone from Conor v Tony V Khabib vying for the title. To Khabib left holding with it on his tobler.
    All LW has going for it right now is Alvarez v Dustin rematch for back up contender status should McGregor be unavailable in September.

How about Khabib vs Poirier at UFC 229 in Vegas in early October.

Gonad wrote: »

Think Max , Ortega and even Poirier & 155 would be a tougher fight for Conor than Khabib .

I'm no Conor fan but that's ridiculous.

Khabib is THE nightmare matchup for Conor. He's taller than Conor, Has a great chin, has amazing fight IQ, and is the p2p wrestler in the UFC. He also rearranged Al's face with his jab.

Conor has already humilated Max and Dustin, and Ortega was getting lit up by a midget in Edgar.

I think if Mcgregor does return in 2019 he should go straight in with Diaz. It's too dangerous to get in there will Khabib or Tony, he'd probably lose. Being out for 2+ years and losing on his comeback is not really an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭XsApollo

If Conor is anywhere near the form he had against Alvarez he lights khabib up in my opinion.
    Khabib gets ko’d In the first round.
    And that’s coming from someone who thought he would lose against Mendez and everybody else after.
    What he did to Alvarez was simply unreal.
    The difference in striking between the two is probably the same as the difference in wrestling between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I think if Mcgregor does return in 2019 he should go straight in with Diaz. It's too dangerous to get in there will Khabib or Tony, he'd probably lose. Being out for 2+ years and losing on his comeback is not really an option.

Diaz 3 is anything but a certainty. He barely survived 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Homer

Asus X540L wrote: »
    He's in the news the way Larry Murphy was in the news.

Do you mean for the wrong reasons or that he’s a serial rapist?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I just rewatched the Alvarez fight.. I miss that Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Asus X540L wrote: »
    I'm no Conor fan but that's ridiculous.

Khabib is THE nightmare matchup for Conor. He's taller than Conor, Has a great chin, has amazing fight IQ, and is the p2p wrestler in the UFC. He also rearranged Al's face with his jab.

Conor has already humilated Max and Dustin, and Ortega was getting lit up by a midget in Edgar.

Lol no.

He has an inch or two on Conor and gives up about 4 inches in reach.
    His chin is not great as he hasn't had it tested against a top tier striker yet who would butcher him standing and when he shoots.
    He rearranged Al's face cos Al blocked with it for most of the fight. Anyone with decent head movement avoids that every time.

I still think Tony is the worst match up, tough, cardio for years and very well rounded. He's a hard fight for Conor and Khabib

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Lol no.

He has an inch or two on Conor and gives up about 4 inches in reach.
    His chin is not great as he hasn't had it tested against a top tier striker yet who would butcher him standing and when he shoots.
    He rearranged Al's face cos Al blocked with it for most of the fight. Anyone with decent head movement avoids that every time.

I still think Tony is the worst match up, tough, cardio for years and very well rounded. He's a hard fight for Conor and Khabib

Barboza and RDA aren't top strikers?

And Tony is about 35 - he's old.

And Khabib isn't goign to stand with Conor. MiniMendes took Conor down at will

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Diaz 3 is anything but a certainty. He barely survived 2.

True I think Diaz won that second fight, But it's probably the best choice for a come back. Diaz has been out for a long time too. They could maybe do it in London April 2019, and If he wins, Do the Khabib in Moscow later in 2019.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement