Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

cliggg wrote: »
    They're not. They are doing this for Boxing as they see the business it does for Sky & ITV. Frank Warren has a deal with BT Sport & he just signed a contract with Tyson Fury last week, that's why this was announced. I'd say the full details will be revealed whenever Fury's next fight is announced.

Fury and all Warren's ppv will be on his dedicated channel box nation?

For GGG Canelo the fight was broadcast on boxnation and boxnation PPV - so if you subscribed to boxnation already you got the fight for 'free' but if you only received boxnation as part of your BT sports subscription it was encrypted and you had to pay if you wanted to watch.

BT Sports have just launched a new PPV channel and I expect the same rules should apply for the Tyson Fury fight (well thats what Frank Warren has claimed previously) but we'll see. Fury is pretty much fighting a scrub so will be disappointed if his comeback is behind a PPV pay wall.

McGregor after selling the best part of 2m PPVs over in UK and Ireland for Mayweather was always gonna be PPV here going forward. Even the viewing figures for Diaz and Alvarez where brilliant for the times of broadcast (If 300k people will stay up till that time you have to gauge a large section are invested enough to pay a premium). I don't think any other events would get the PPV treatment over here - maybe down the line if Darren Till becomes the superstar they're hoping.

Lets say they anticipate 200k PPVs at that time, taking off VAT its £3.2m of revenue they'd be leaving on the table.

Asus X540L wrote: »
    If he can't fight in America he's finished

The yanks trend to ignore stuff like Mcbuggets antics when he generates that kind of money in the American economy

Tyson was barred from fighting in Nevada due to past indiscretions - though it was ring antics rather than his rape conviction if i remember rightly.

Though saying that Nevada even changed Floyds sentencing date for domestic abuse so he could get another fight in didnt they

I don't think his charges/rap sheet will go to a felony with the expensive lawyers and money he can throw at the situation. And even if it back fired, a laest one major state would find a way to host him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

For GGG Canelo the fight was broadcast on boxnation and boxnation PPV - so if you subscribed to boxnation already you got the fight for 'free' but if you only received boxnation as part of your BT sports subscription it was encrypted and you had to pay if you wanted to watch.

BT Sports have just launched a new PPV channel and I expect the same rules should apply for the Tyson Fury fight (well thats what Frank Warren has claimed previously) but we'll see. Fury is pretty much fighting a scrub so will be disappointed if his comeback is behind a PPV pay wall.

McGregor after selling the best part of 2m PPVs over in UK and Ireland for Mayweather was always gonna be PPV here going forward. Even the viewing figures for Diaz and Alvarez where brilliant for the times of broadcast (If 300k people will stay up till that time you have to gauge a large section are invested enough to pay a premium). I don't think any other events would get the PPV treatment over here - maybe down the line if Darren Till becomes the superstar they're hoping.

Lets say they anticipate 200k PPVs at that time, taking off VAT its £3.2m of revenue they'd be leaving on the table.

No way 200k people will pay for it when it's very easily available online for free in perfect HD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

May well be the case for something like the one off fight against mayweather due to the spectacle and the novelty it carried with non-mma fans. But for even the largest fights in the US they struggle to get past 1.5m when its on at prime time.

Imo not a chance they'll get anywhere near 200k at 4am when a stream is readily available.

BT Sports have just launched a new PPV channel and I expect the same rules should apply for the Tyson Fury fight  (well thats what Frank Warren has claimed previously) but we'll see. Fury is pretty much fighting a scrub so will be disappointed if his comeback is behind a PPV pay wall.

No way 200k people will pay for it when it's very easily available online for free in perfect HD
    The streams are always a risk though. The likes of acestream and kodi end up working great up until the main event. Watched the full Haye Bellew undercard and then come the main event nothing but buffering. So perfect it ain't. The fact its 5am does change things as the likes of watching parties where you dont wanna risk a crappy stream and chip in between you is less likely. 
    But yeah with his absence and increased stardom since Eddie I don't think 200k buys is a silly number. Mayweather fight was obviously a flagpole event, but still shows the potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Streams have always been rock solid for me for fights

Only exception in the last few years being Fury / Klitschko my stream went down - got a month or two free though because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Fury and all Warren's ppv will be on his dedicated channel box nation?
    Yeah BT is part of that now. It's like when sky sports did ppv premier league matches for a while. So people paid for sky sports then had to pay to watch Utd V City etc..
    Edited to add hewhoscares explains it better 2 posts up. Didn't see that sorry.

Another thing to consider is that WWE have been doing ppv in Britain & Ireland for decades now, even now with all ppv's being available live on the WWE Network for a tenner a month they still do them because it's still profitable. I know they are much more popular than UFC but still it shows enough people will stay up until 4 or 5 in the morning and pay so they can see it live with a guaranteed clear stream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Another thing to consider is that WWE have been doing ppv in Britain & Ireland for decades now, even now with all ppv's being available live on the WWE Network for a tenner a month they still do them because it's still profitable. I know they are much more popular than UFC but still it shows enough people will stay up until 4 or 5 in the morning and pay so they can see it live with a guaranteed clear stream.

Surely now WWE couldn't have that big a fanbase in UK and Ireland anymore? I was a fan back in the Attitude Era, but it is sanitized beyond belief now. I've no idea how anyone over 25 would watch it and i can't see many U-18s being allowed stay up to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

The yanks trend to ignore stuff like Mcbuggets antics when he generates that kind of money in the American economy

McBuggets? not another poxy name for him :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Surely now WWE couldn't have that big a fanbase in UK and Ireland anymore? I was a fan back in the Attitude Era, but it is sanitized beyond belief now. I've no idea how anyone over 25 would watch it and i can't see many U-18s being allowed stay up to watch it.

You'd be surprised

They are PG now which was a very smart move by Vince McMahon as business is booming for them worldwide. They sell out arenas all over the Uk and Ireland (3 Arena only) 2-3 times a year. Just to stay on topic somewhat, there is always talk of Conor going to WWE but I don't see it ever happening. First he would have to stick to a script written for him by Vince, he couldn't get away with calling people n*zi's & f*ggots, he can't curse at all, can't behave like he has been recently and finally if he wrestled regularly he would have to lose at some point and even though it's not real I don't think his ego would allow that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

What's a mcbugget?

Effects wrote: »
    What's a mcbugget?

A burger and nugget hybrid I'd say?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

If he wrestled regularly he would have to lose at some point and even though it's not real I don't think his ego would allow that at all.

Ronda is so much worse than Conor when she loses and it didn't stop her going to WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭Inviere

What's a mcbugget?

Apparently it's the son of a shopping cart - https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bugget

• Registered Users Posts: 18,151 ✭✭✭✭rob316

WWE PPV are over at 3am, its not totally unreasonable. Your lucky if a UFC PPV main card starts at that. PPV would go down like a lead balloon in the UK market for the UFC.
    When I watched WWE the PPV was always free on Sky Sports didn't even realize you have to pay for it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

ffs, nobody cares about WWE's ppv's in Europe.

Conor's not fighting in London or Dublin any time soon, if he ever fights again.

Ronda is so much worse than Conor when she loses and it didn't stop her going to WWE.

True but I think she knows now that she is not the best female fighter ever so she is now making lots of money living out her childhood dream. She has accepted it and moved onto something else. Not the same thing, Conor's ego as we all know is absolutely gigantic so him being told he has to lose to one of the guys he called p*ssies would not be acceptable to him imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

i think if conor dont announce something soon we wont see him again , supposedly to come back by september i hear , so now or next month shud be promoting time :) i think hes looking for another circus fight with floyd , the mcgregor of 3-4 years ago would beat khabib , but not these days i feel :) if this bus thing goes to court hes fcuked with lawsuits so he will be looking for another money fight :) just venting my opinion on him here no love or hate :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

pudzey101 wrote: »
    i think if conor dont announce something soon we wont see him again , supposedly to come back by september i hear , so now or next month shud be promoting time :) i think hes looking for another circus fight with floyd , the mcgregor of 3-4 years ago would beat khabib , but not these days i feel :) if this bus thing goes to court hes fcuked with lawsuits so he will be looking for another money fight :) just venting my opinion on him here no love or hate :)

They won't announce a Conor fight until after his court hearing in June.

Found myself watching one of his motivational videos on youtube last night, it's crazy how different a person he is now. Everything he said back then contradicts who he is now. Particularly about the company he keeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,187 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Mellor wrote: »
    He actually was originally. There was trouble on set and got fired by the director.
    Afterwards Tupac turned up (with his entourage) to the set of a different film
    and jump on the director who fired him. He was charged with assault and spent some time in jail.

The comparison is extremely apt tbh.

Really? Never knew that!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Eddie Alvarez on Conor V Khabib. In line with the common consensus but I'll post it in an attempt to stay on topic :p
    "Styles are match-ups. I think if Khabib does not correct the mistake of sitting back with his chin back and going to the side, Conor's going to put his lights out with that left hand pretty bad, pretty quickly. So he needs to correct that mistake and he needs to learn to relax in the pocket and know that he's safe. Until he does that, he's always in danger of getting beat by a guy with knockout power like Conor McGregor. But Conor McGregor on his back, I don't feel like he has a strong spirit for fighting on the ground. Some guys have a real strong spirit, they can stand up all day for five, ten rounds as long as they're standing up but when it goes to the ground their spirit weakens. I don't think Conor has a strong enough spirit to be able to withstand Khabib's ground attack over and over. So I'd have to give the edge to Khabib because I feel like there will be takedowns and Conor will not get up and I don't know if he has the spirit to stay in the fight with a ground fight where Khabib is controlling fifteen to twenty minutes of a twenty-five minute fight. I'd have to give the edge to Khabib."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

In fairness McGregor had strong enough spirit to get up and KO Mendes after almost getting elbowed through the mat.

He is more durable than he is given credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

He stuffed Eddies take down attempts pretty easily.....I think there were 2 with the second one lasting over a min before getting knocked out

How does he rate his own ground game compared to Khabib

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

sonofenoch wrote: »
    He stuffed Eddies take down attempts pretty easily.....I think there were 2 with the second one lasting over a min before getting knocked out

How does he rate his own ground game compared to Khabib

He’s khabibs kryptonite apparently , but gives conor no chance but yet got smoked by conor

Few too many left hands hes took

He’s khabibs kryptonite apparently , but gives conor no chance but yet got smoked by conor

That's MMA math and in the full interview Eddie already preempted these type of comments.

https://youtu.be/oaneYM2vT_8?t=49s

In any case he doesn't give Conor no chance. He gives the edge to Khabib but acknowledges Conor a good chance of knocking Khabib out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

gives him no chance by saying khabib has the edge.....right

• Advertisement

Eddie definitely made a mistake trying to stand with Conor, that fight was less than 3 months after the Conor-Diaz fight so there is no way Conor was 100% in that fight. If Eddie stormed out and tried to maul him who knows how it would have went. The other side of it of course is Conor taking that fight less than 3 months after that war and looking so fluid. An amazing performance really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement