Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

All depends on your definition of world class I suppose. We have had a few Olympians who done well but we are not a country of elite boxers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

All depends on your definition of world class I suppose. We have had a few Olympians who done well but we are not a country of elite boxers.

Tyson furey, Steve Collins, Wayne McCullough, Andy Lee, Barry mcguigan, Katie Taylor, Bernard Dunne, Matthew macklin.

They are all world class level boxers.
    Conlan, Barnes, Nevin, spike ó Sullivan would be up there as well in my opinion.

That's not a bad haul from a country with a population less than a large US city let alone state.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

VW 1 wrote: »
    Who exactly are these world class boxers we have a long history of producing? We had a good Olympic team in 08 and 12. 3 or 4medalists in the last 30 years. Gary O Sullivan is probably our best pro boxer at the minute.

Michael conlon building himself up in the pros.

Andy lee was a world champ as was bernard dunne. Steve collins, mcguigan, matthew macklin.

Olympic success in Sutherland and egan. John joe nevin. Paddy barnes. Mcculloch and carruth. Jow ward a world class amateur.

Safe to say we have at least a recent history of world class boxers.

You have to go back about 100 years for Ireland to have produced someone who was the number 1 fighter at their weightclass.

Even McGuigan wasn't considered THE man.

It does put McGregors achievements in perspective just how much he achieved. To be the number 1 at two weightclasses with a decent jump in size between the two.

And if you're counting Macklin and Fury, why not Andre Ward then

And Macklin wasn't a world champ. Collins was a world champ when the WBO meant the same as the IBO now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So whats the current state of play on Conor fighting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So whats the current state of play on Conor fighting?

You won't hear anything until after his court appearance in June

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Who exactly are these world class boxers we have a long history of producing? We had a good Olympic team in 08 and 12. 3 or 4medalists in the last 30 years. Gary O Sullivan is probably our best pro boxer at the minute.

Andy lee was a world champ as was bernard dunne. Steve collins, mcguigan, matthew macklin.

Olympic success in Sutherland and egan. John joe nevin. Paddy barnes. Mcculloch and carruth. Jow ward a world class amateur.

You have to go back about 100 years for Ireland to have produced someone who was the number 1 fighter at their weightclass.

It does put McGregors achievements in perspective just how much he achieved. To be the number 1 at two weightclasses with a decent jump in size between the two.

McGuigan beat Pedroza, who was THE man. Consequently, he very much was THE man. He was winning the Cruz fight too. It was the sun that beat him.

Agree on Collins though. If an RJJ fight had ever happened, he'd have been annihilated. No dig at him there by the way, more a comment on just how much better than ever boxer on the planet Jones was at his peak (and a good bit either side of it too).

Anyway, on the overall point, completely agree that McGregor is an absolute unicorn. Can't see any of the next crop of Irish fighters having anything like the same success. Rhys McKee might do reasonably well, Gallagher too maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

100 years ?, I'm guessing you don't follow much boxing because it's actually only a little over 1 year. Carl Frampton was considered the #1 Featherweight in the World until losing the rematch to Santa Cruz.

Anyway, on the overall point, completely agree that McGregor is an absolute unicorn. Can't see any of the next crop of Irish fighters having anything like the same success. Rhys McKee might do reasonably well, Gallagher too maybe.

That young clown Nate is surley going places too if he stays dedicated. A lot of championships in a lot of different disciplines.

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote: »
    100 years ?, I'm guessing you don't follow much boxing because it's actually only a little over 1 year. Carl Frampton was considered the #1 Featherweight in the World until losing the rematch to Santa Cruz.

Someone mentioned Fury and Macklin. I think Muhammad Ali was from Ennis too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Since when is Frampton Irish??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Since when is Frampton Irish??

Born in Belfast, fought for Ireland as an amateur, was Irish amateur flyweight champion...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

It's a shame that Ryan Burnett hasn't got a mention when talking about Irish boxers. Maybe we take our boxers for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

It's a shame that Ryan Burnett hasn't got a mention when talking about Irish boxers. Maybe we take our boxers for granted.

Thats what happens when you win but don't knock people out. Very talented clearly but no one really wants to see decision after decision.

Conor should hand out a few copies of 'the secret' in sbg..

McGuigan beat Pedroza, who was THE man. Consequently, he very much was THE man. He was winning the Cruz fight too. It was the sun that beat him.

Agree on Collins though. If an RJJ fight had ever happened, he'd have been annihilated. No dig at him there by the way, more a comment on just how much better than ever boxer on the planet Jones was at his peak (and a good bit either side of it too).

No he wasn't. I follow boxing plenty. LSC was a very good win, but beating Kiko Martinez doesn't make you the best super featherweight in the world. Mares had barely fought at SFW either.

Azumah Nelson was considered just as much the man wasn't he during McGuigans era. It wasn't conclusive either way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

I could be wrong but it seems to me the northern lads dont get the press coverage down here that they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Both furys parents are irish surely we have some claim to him and btw anthony joshuas grandmother was irish and dillian whytes grandfather, to be fair most of them are more irish than some of our soccer stars.

iebamm2580 wrote: »

Both furys parents are irish surely we have some claim to him and btw anthony joshuas grandmother was irish and dillian whytes grandfather, to be fair most of them are more irish than some of our soccer stars.

It's just a bit pathetic clinging onto to people that aren't really irish. If they move to Ireland and identify as irish fair enough i suppose, but none Fury, Ali, Ward or Macklin have - just a couple of them have used their ancestry to try and dig up a bit if support.

Fury has an english accent as does his dad.

• Advertisement

I agree to an extent but fury def has legitimate claims to be considered irish, look at our rugby and soccer teams alot of guys on them teams haven't half the irish ancestry that fury has. Im simply stating a fact he is irish bred that cant be argued.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

It's just a bit pathetic clinging onto to people that aren't really irish. If they move to Ireland and identify as irish fair enough i suppose, but none Fury, Ali, Ward or Macklin have - just a couple of them have used their ancestry to try and dig up a bit if support.

Who is calling Ali Irish lol, only one to even bring up Ali was yourself.

Macklin and furey have both publicly and on many occasions came out and siad they consider themselves irish,
    As far as I'm concerned that's enough.

Frampton has on the other hand stated he is northern Irish, so I'd accept his opinion there as well.

Though for this debate, I'd nearly look at the island as a whole, not out of political reasons just practical.

However this debate is drifting a bit at this stage, but suffice to say I fundamentaly disagree with your stance on lack of world class boxers.

jcd5971 wrote: »

Who is calling Ali Irish lol, only one to even bring up Ali was yourself.

Macklin and furey have both publicly and on many occasions came out and siad they consider themselves irish,
    As far as I'm concerned that's enough.

Frampton has on the other hand stated he is northern Irish, so I'd accept his opinion there as well.

Though for this debate, I'd nearly look at the island as a whole, not out of political reasons just practical.

However this debate is drifting a bit at this stage, but suffice to say I fundamentaly disagree with your stance on lack of world class boxers.

You can't even spell Fury's name correctly when its in front of you. He's not irish pal, he doesn't live in Ireland. He's never lived in ireland. He doesn't have an Irish passport. He doesn't have an irish accent. If I remember rightly he tried to represent Ireland in the ammy code when GB snubbed him, but oddly enough there wasn't anything to support the Irish heritage claims (yes hes a traveller not known for their paperwork).

John Fury is dad. Again speaks with an english accent, fought out of Lancashire and was born in Suffolk.

Its just desperate to try and claim him as an irish fighter.

Ireland simply hasn't got this amazing legacy of boxers many like to claim. Over achieving in the amateurs, they've underwhelmed at the top table - with no one being a clear number 1 at the weight class.

Conor for all his faults, was the man who beat the man at 2 weightclasses.

His achievements in MMA outstrip any irish boxer of the last 100 years.

Man what difference does it make how a user on this forum spells furys name, it has nothing to do with the discussion, John fury was born in tuam and tysons mother born in Belfast to a Tipperary born woman, facts are facts he is irish bred this cant be  denied, who cares about an accent its a stupid argument.

[font=Georgia, serif] how Irish is Tyson Fury? Well, his mother is from Belfast and his father comes from Tuam. And he comes from a background which, in the last English census, was regarded as constituting a distinct ethnic group, Irish Traveller. An excerpt from an article in the independent[/font]

Ireland simply hasn't got this amazing legacy of boxers many like to claim. Over achieving in the amateurs, they've underwhelmed at the top table - with no one being a clear number 1 at the weight class.
    You were already reminded of Frampton. Number one in his class and Fighter of the Year to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

You won't hear anything until after his court appearance in June

Cheers. So when can we expect him to fight again- Sept/October-ish?

[font=Georgia, serif]And two years ago, Fury told the website Irish Central: "All my people are from Ireland. I was born in Manchester but I am Irish. I have lived in Ireland, visited all my life, and when I fight, I represent Ireland."[/font]

You were already reminded of Frampton. Number one in his class and Fighter of the Year to boot.

And he wasn't. LSC wasn't the man at SFW.

At that weight class LSC had beaten Mares (who'd not beat anyone of note at the weightclass) and Kiko Martinez.

That doesn't make you THE man at the weight class. It was a top win, but it didn't make him the undisputed number one at the weight.

[font=Georgia, serif]And two years ago, Fury told the website Irish Central: "All my people are from Ireland. I was born in Manchester but I am Irish. I have lived in Ireland, visited all my life, and when I fight, I represent Ireland."[/font]

He's also told people he no longer identifies as a traveller and that he's practicing islam at different times.

• Advertisement

Man what difference does it make how a user on this forum spells furys name, it has nothing to do with the discussion, John fury was born in tuam and tysons mother born in Belfast to a Tipperary born woman, facts are facts he is irish bred this cant be  denied, who cares about an accent its a stupid argument.

[font=Georgia, serif] how Irish is Tyson Fury? Well, his mother is from Belfast and his father comes from Tuam. And he comes from a background which, in the last English census, was regarded as constituting a distinct ethnic group, Irish Traveller. An excerpt from an article in the independent[/font]

He dad was born in Suffolk.

His family background has irish roots, but he's not irish. During most of his childhood he lived in England. Think he did a few months in Ireland one summer or something I'm sure I'd seen him say.

He's not irish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement