Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

He dad was born in Suffolk.

His family background has irish roots, but he's not irish. During most of his childhood he lived in England. Think he did a few months in Ireland one summer or something I'm sure I'd seen him say.

He's not irish.

So now that you're deciding people's national identity for them is his cousin Andy not Irish either?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Man seriously give up on the fury one at least its facts and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,881 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You can't even spell Fury's name correctly when its in front of you. He's not irish pal, he doesn't live in Ireland. He's never lived in ireland. He doesn't have an Irish passport. He doesn't have an irish accent. If I remember rightly he tried to represent Ireland in the ammy code when GB snubbed him, but oddly enough there wasn't anything to support the Irish heritage claims (yes hes a traveller not known for their paperwork).
    Fury did box for Ireland.

He entered the national seniors in an Olympic qualification year. I remember his name being on the list of entries. Didn't know who he was at the time, it just stood out as I hadn't heard of him before and it was an unusual name "Luke Tyson Fury"

What happened was that the club of the then SH champ (might have been McMonagle) objected to him. And he was unable to have his papers processed in time but I am fairly sure he received his passport officially soon after
    John Fury is dad. Again speaks with an english accent, fought out of Lancashire and was born in Suffolk.

Its just desperate to try and claim him as an irish fighter.
    Whatever. Who gives a crap
    Ireland simply hasn't got this amazing legacy of boxers many like to claim. Over achieving in the amateurs, they've underwhelmed at the top table - with no one being a clear number 1 at the weight class.

That just shows your ignorance of the sport. The Irish team entrants to any competition, European or worlds, are always competitive and to be reckoned with and avoided by other nations.

I am glad that someone above mentioned Burnett who doesn't seem to get much publicity for some reason.
    Conor for all his faults, was the man who beat the man at 2 weightclasses.

His achievements in MMA outstrip any irish boxer of the last 100 years.

Ah jaysus. I mean fair play to him and all that but that's just silly.

Joe Ward won two underage world championships and then straight into winning a senior light heavyweight European gold medal at 17. He won those by beating everyone else who was in his way Russians, Cubans, Kazakhs.

McGregor works for a franchise. He's an athlete. Fair play to him. But he shouts and makes noise and gets publicity so his bosses push him to the head of the queue and he beats (mostly) other people who are also in that same small pool.

There is no way for you to force McGregor to challenge you. You want to challenge any of the Irish boxers? You think you are better than them - Just enter the nationals. Then if they don't get beaten or withdraw, you'll meet them at some stage.

If you're a kid who thinks you can beat Conor McGregor what do you need? You need Dana White to give you a contract.

It's like these fellas earning tens of millions working at Goldman Sachs. I'm sure they are smart. Are they the smartest people in the world? - No. Is every person who is smarter then them going to get a chance to challenge for those jobs? - No

(Oh and for those interested in boxers with Irish heritage - the last US male boxer to win an Olympic gold back in 2004 had fairly strong Irish heritage (and an Irish surname to boot)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

His family background has irish roots, but he's not irish. During most of his childhood he lived in England. Think he did a few months in Ireland one summer or something I'm sure I'd seen him say.

He's not irish.

So now that you're deciding people's national identity for them is his cousin Andy not Irish either?

well when i hear Andy Lee speak he sounds like a man who's actually lived in Ireland and around irish people for a decent proportion of his life. Unlike John or Tyson Fury or Matthew Macklin.

What was pathetic with Andy was his homecoming world title fight where no one came out to support him and his fight venue had to be changed via some phoney injury.

So essentially your accent decides where your DNA comes from?

• Advertisement

iebamm2580 wrote: »

Your accent generally decides where you've grown to become an adult and thats where I'd class as home so yes.

You as a later adult decide to live in a place that feels home and claim heritage thats fine, and from it'll help your claim to be actually be from that place. None of the fighters claimed as irish have done that.

Its so needy trying to claim these fighters as irish.

Trying to bring this back to McGregor again. I'll reiterate his UFC achievements are better than any irish boxer post war.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Jaysus, i wish Conor would go and hit a bus so we can get away from this crap

iebamm2580 wrote: »

Your accent generally decides where you've grown to become an adult and thats where I'd class as home so yes.

You as a later adult decide to live in a place that feels home and claim heritage thats fine, and from it'll help your claim to be actually be from that place. None of the fighters claimed as irish have done that.

Its so needy trying to claim these fighters as irish.

Trying to bring this back to McGregor again. I'll reiterate his UFC achievements are better than any irish boxer post war.
    Man your not understanding me im simply saying he is irish by blood which i consider more important than where you grew up, we just have differing opinions and thats ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,881 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ah jaysus.

Unless you are being pedantic and are saying McGregor's UFC achievements are better than any Irish boxer's UFC achievements??

I'm not knocking him but jaysus it's silly

UFC is a US franchise that has managed to market itself well. It's not some overall global body for anything. It's not a governing body or have any official accepted status

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

He's not irish.

He's both British and Irish, there are 1000's if in the 100's of in the same boat over there

I don't need to reel off the names of sport stars, musicians and actors who all have legitimate claims to 'Irishness' .......not to mention the everyday postmen and milkmen :D ........you can be both, the idea might be foreign to us but you can

• Advertisement

Ah jaysus.

Unless you are being pedantic and are saying McGregor's UFC achievements are better than any Irish boxer's UFC achievements??

I'm not knocking him but jaysus it's silly

UFC is a US franchise that has managed to market itself well. It's not some overall global body for anything. It's not a governing body or have any official accepted status

The UFC belt is now pretty much considered the lineal belt for each weightclass.

You win the UFC belt you're 'the man' regardless of who has the bellator belt.

His achievements in doing this in two weight classes are over and above irish boxers winning bit part of the claim to be the best in the world at their weight class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

The UFC belt is now pretty much considered the lineal belt for each weightclass.

You win the UFC belt you're 'the man' regardless of who has the bellator belt.

His achievements in doing this in two weight classes are over and above irish boxers winning bit part of the claim to be the best in the world at their weight class.

I dunno. The talent pool in boxing is much much bigger than the Ufc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I dunno. The talent pool in boxing is much much bigger than the Ufc.

Talent pool might be bigger, doesn't mean the top guys are fighting each other as much though. Way too many belts in boxing, pretty much the equivalent of fighting for a different promotion IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

In boxing it's like if you have one belt your really only a contender. A true champ wins tthem all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

In boxing it's like if you have one belt your really only a contender. A true champ wins tthem all.

It's easier said than done. Getting 2 guys in the ring is the hard part.

Many great champs never got the chance to fully unify. So instead of chasing the 'unicorn' many just move on and move/down a weight class.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You can move country and change your nationality - which is part of your identity. You you can't claim heritage in that new country. Heritage comes from previous generations, it's not based on your current geographical position.

If some guy from Africa/China moved to Ireland. Would you have any issue if he continued to see himself as African/Chinese? I highly doubt it. So why is it different for Irish?

The UFC is the de facto world championship of MMA. That's not even slightly debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

And he wasn't. LSC wasn't the man at SFW.

At that weight class LSC had beaten Mares (who'd not beat anyone of note at the weightclass) and Kiko Martinez.

That doesn't make you THE man at the weight class. It was a top win, but it didn't make him the undisputed number one at the weight.

He was universally considered the #1 guy. Did he hold all the major titles and beat all the other guys in the top 5 ?, no.
    Was he ranked #1 by pretty much every independent group (Ring magazine, Boxing Monthly, Boxrec) ?, yes he was.
    In fact so impressive had Frampton been in unifying titles at Super-Bantamweight and then becoming the consensus #1 Featherweight in the World by beating LSC, that he was named Ring Magazine fighter of the year in 2016.
    That's two Irish fighters in a row winning that accolade after Tyson Fury in 2015 :p.

I also note you had been saying no Irish boxer in 100 years had achieved what McGregor has in their sport. But in one of your more recent posts you said post-war.......have you been doing some research ?

Big Ears wrote: »
    And he wasn't. LSC wasn't the man at SFW.

At that weight class LSC had beaten Mares (who'd not beat anyone of note at the weightclass) and Kiko Martinez.

That doesn't make you THE man at the weight class. It was a top win, but it didn't make him the undisputed number one at the weight.

He was universally considered the #1 guy. Did he hold all the major titles and beat all the other guys in the top 5 ?, no.
    Was he ranked #1 by pretty much every independent group (Ring magazine, Boxing Monthly, Boxrec) ?, yes he was.
    In fact so impressive had Frampton been in unifying titles at Super-Bantamweight and then becoming the consensus #1 Featherweight in the World by beating LSC, that he was named Ring Magazine fighter of the year in 2016.
    That's two Irish fighters in a row winning that accolade after Tyson Fury in 2015 :p.

I also note you had been saying no Irish boxer in 100 years had achieved what McGregor has in their sport. But in one of your more recent posts you said post-war.......have you been doing some research ?

Frampton wasn't the consensus number 1 at SBW that was Rigo, who Frampton ducked after saying he'd do otherwise.

And LSC wasn't the man at FW. Neither was Frampton after beating him.

He was named ring magazine fighter for beating his rival and beating LSC. Two very good wins, neither made him the man at the weight. Odd the ring magazine belt wasn't on the line seeing for the rematch if it was between the undisputed best featherweights in the world.

Fury isn't irish.

It was just a turn of phrase. The Irish talk alot about irish boxing achievements, the reality is they've not amounted to much. Hence the straw clutching here.

McGregors achievements outstrip any irish boxer of the last 100 years IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Frampton wasn't the consensus number 1 at SBW that was Rigo, who Frampton ducked after saying he'd do otherwise.

He was named ring magazine fighter for beating his rival and beating LSC. Two very good wins, neither made him the man at the weight. Odd the ring magazine belt wasn't on the line seeing for the rematch if it was between the undisputed best featherweights in the world.

Fury isn't irish.

It was just a turn of phrase. The Irish talk alot about irish boxing achievements, the reality is they've not amounted to much. Hence the straw clutching here.

Although I personally can't take women's combat sports seriously be it boxing or mma you can't discount Katie Taylor's achievements, multi European and world amateur titles and Olympic gold now taken to the pro game with ease and looking to unify belts already ........although I'd have some doubts about the level and quality of the competition she faces it's still some going

• Advertisement

sonofenoch wrote: »

Fury isn't irish.

Although I personally can't take women's combat sports seriously be it boxing or mma you can't discount Katie Taylor's achievements, multi European and world amateur titles and Olympic gold now taken to the pro game with ease and looking to unify belts already ........although I'd have some doubts about the level and quality of the competition she faces it's still some going

Katie's brilliant. She's a irish gold star amateur who's finally living up to expectations after so many disappointments (I'm a bit apprehensive about what I've seen of Mick Conlan as a pro so far, but still early days).

But yeah the asterisk is the competition and the levels - Cecilia Brækhus seems to be a possible womans 'superfight' in time.

Then the likes of Jonas and Chantelle Cameron would be decent enough.

Womens MMA seems a good bit behind the men in terms of skill. But given time you'd like to think they'll catch up with Taylor hopefully a trail blazer.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well that's not correct. Jimmy McLarnin is one of the greatest fighters and while it's a long time ago since he fought he was outstanding.

I'm a big fan of what Conor McGregor has done and he is a truly great Irish sportsman but McLarnin to this point in Conor's career still outranks him in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Fury isn't irish.

I don't believe anyone on this thread tried to argue Rigo wasn't the #1 Super-Bantamweight in the World (Back then at least).

Okay so if we establish that neither Frampton or LSC currently aren't or never have been the #1 Featherweight in the World, then who is/was ?

Take the Fury issue up with the BUI.

Jimmy McLarnin as mentioned above has achieved more than McGregor has in his career. He beat more Hall of Fame boxers than any other boxer has in history. He did so at a time when boxing was one of the major sports in both the United States and the World. He was earning hundreds of thousands of dollars for fights back in the 1930's !!, just to give context to how big a deal he was. Unfortunately fighting in a pre tv age (although there is footage of him available), meant he's been largely forgotten when it comes to great Irish athletes. But put into context he's likely our greatest ever athlete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

cliggg wrote: »

Conor must have the tree house booked for another sesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Conor must have the tree house booked for another sesh.
    Sure he can visit the baby while he's there too :p.
    Also regardless of what people on here think of John Kavanagh (though I quite like the guy myself) I think we can all agree this is a very very sound gesture in light of some horrible recent events.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjHmf4tA4T1/?utm_source=ig_embed

"Introducing a FREE women's only BJJ Self Defence class at @sbgireland starting this Saturday 11am. This will be on-going and on at the same time every Saturday. Don't worry if you miss this weekend, you can start any time. Feel free to drop in and watch one if you're considering taking it up. Also this class is free to any girls from any other clubs that want to supplement their training. In light of recent horrific attack in Dublin by a deranged individual we feel the need to do something to give women a fighting chance. Come down and meet @jaqueoalmeiida and see if you enjoy it."

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

That's brilliant from JK. BJJ is a great tool for women, well anyone really for self defense. The main issues for females going into gyms is that they feel they will be intimidated. Going in knowing everyone else is in the same boat will be a great push.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Fantastic from Kavanagh.

Not a recognised sport in Ireland. Greyhound racing and coursing are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Kavanagh can come across as bit preachy at times, and he is defensive of his team and friends and turns a blind eye to their **** ups (but who dosent) I think he gets in his own way a bit.

But he also seems decent most of the time, things like this just Confirm that in my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Men are far more likely to be a victim of an unprovoked attack, why no free men's class ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement