Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

While I feel that the UFC should be generous when it comes to expenses, Kavanagh’s first reaction to whine on Twitter about it says a lot about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

WME have been cost cutting since the acquisition. They will just stream line the company and sell it off in a few years, preferably when they have some more new stars. They’ve done an awful job at building fighters since though, given that they are a talent agency I expected more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

It's not so much the wording as the manner in which it was done. As noted earlier, whatever legitimate grievance Kavanagh has, he could easily pick up the phone to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

ricero wrote: »
    Remembering when team SBG use to be humble and down to earth seems like decades ago.

When exactly was that? I’ve always likened them high school jocks up their own hole

• Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I haven't seen anyone on here defend Kavanagh's comment so I'm not quite sure what your point is!
    I think you mis-read my comment. People opposing Kavanagh was exactly my point, not the opposite. I even follow up with an explanation.

Random american fighter complains about 1 corner man. And the general tone is that the UFC are bastards for it (see posts above). JK complains about it, and the general tone is that he's should suck it up. I just found the hypocrisy funny.

Whether JK was right or wrong to complain on twitter is inconsequential to the point. FWIW, I don't think he was being completely serious. Vegas airport is right on the stripe. He would have had first refusal at SBG on a free ticket.
    I think it was more about "SBG have two fighters on this card"

John_D80 wrote: »
    I actually believe there should be a sense of entitlement from a fighters seconds when it comes to expenses. Most fighters will require more than 1 person to assist in their fight week prep, especially their weight cut.

Paying for only one cornerman is a joke from the UFC, supposedly the premier MMA organisation.
    To be fair, the UFC do try to book guys from the same gym together so they can pool their coaches/expenses. For example, in the above card UFC are (presumably) paying Blaine O'Driscol and Artem flights and accom - unless other coaches out there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Mellor wrote: »

To be fair, the UFC do try to book guys from the same gym together so they can pool their coaches/expenses. For example, in the above card UFC are (presumably) paying Blaine O'Driscol and Artem flights and accom - unless other coaches out there too.

They don’t do it in the interest of fairness. If anything it contrIbutes to reinforcing the the notion that the UFC are penny pinching.

It’s great for a fighter when he has a teammate on the same card but realistically it doesn’t happen too often for most fighters.

And strangely enough the UFC is probably paying for entire entourages of big name fighters who can easily afford to pay for any amount of corner men. The guys who are on the $12000 show money are getting screwed every which way.

They don’t do it in the interest of fairness. If anything it contrIbutes to reinforcing the the notion that the UFC are penny pinching.
    I didn't say they do it out of fairness :confused:.

"To be fair Khabib gre up fighting bears" doesn't he was doing it out of fairness. It's an expression"

Not sure how it contributes to penny pincing. The cost is the same for the UFC either way.
    It’s great for a fighter when he has a teammate on the same card but realistically it doesn’t happen too often for most fighters.
    It happens regularly enough I think. Look at the US cards Conor has been on, there is a disproportionate amount of Irish fighters on those card. Same happens with Aussies fighting abroad. Probably less likely to happen with US domestic fighters though.
    And strangely enough the UFC is probably paying for entire entourages of big name fighters who can easily afford to pay for any amount of corner men.
    I doubt that are tbh. When Conor had a big entourage in Vegas at the Mac Mansion. I'd assume Conor was paying, but who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Rumors picking up now. It'll probably be announced this weekend.

Will probably be during the UFC 226 broadcast. They'll have something big planned. Either Conor, Jones or Lesnar imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

where are these Rumors you speak of?

• Advertisement

dashoonage wrote: »
    where are these Rumors you speak of?

Various sauces on twitter. Even Khabib insta post looks a bit critic. #SmashHim #Soon

He must have a plea deal sorted, can't imagine them booking the fight before they know the outcome of his court case.

And I also don't see Tony being ready that fast if he is the backup option.

Lukker- wrote: »
    He must have a plea deal sorted, can't imagine them booking the fight before they know the outcome of his court case.

It's not like as if he's going to get locked up or banned from the country. He's rich and famous, a slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah thought they'd at least to have the court thing done and dusted but this is the prime weekend for announcements. They will be going on about the new edition of the game EA UFC 3 which has add legends and DJ has replaced Conor on the cover.

Seen a lot of random posts that their fight will be announced during the main card this weekend for UFC 229.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

It's not official until Ariel announces it 15 minutes before the UFC play the promo video just before the main event and Dana has his kicked out of the area again.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yeah thought they'd at least to have the court thing done and dusted but this is the prime weekend for announcements. They will be going on about the new edition of the game EA UFC 3 which has add legends and DJ has replaced Conor on the cover.

Seen a lot of random posts that their fight will be announced during the main card this weekend for UFC 229.

Crazy that they replaced him with least known, least popular champion in the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Crazy that they replaced him with least known, least popular champion in the company.

It could be because he's more familiar to gamers than some other champions perhaps?

It could be because he's more familiar to gamers than some other champions perhaps?

The game devs are a big fan of DJ as well, I always got the impression they weren't happy with having Conor on the cover, probably never even talked to him where as they had lots of interaction with DJ.

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/ufc/ufc-3/news/icon-edition-reveal-demetrious-johnson

I didn't say they do it out of fairness :confused:.

I never said you did. :confused:

I was making the point that if the UFC puts fighters from the same gym/team on a card together they are rarely doing it for the benefit of the fighters so to even bring it up is a moot point really.

Not sure how it contributes to penny pincing. The cost is the same for the UFC either way.

UFC is cutting costs by not covering fighters reasonable expenses incurred in transporting and accomodating the seconds/cornermen they need. That’s penny pinching.

It happens regularly enough I think. Look at the US cards Conor has been on, there is a disproportionate amount of Irish fighters on those card. Same happens with Aussies fighting abroad. Probably less likely to happen with US domestic fighters though.

It happens but it’s the exception rather than the rule. Vast majority of fighters will be the sole representative of their gyms on the majority of UFC events they are taking part in. The examples (Irish/Aussies) you referred to are anomalies.
    I doubt that are tbh. When Conor had a big entourage in Vegas at the Mac Mansion. I'd assume Conor was paying, but who knows.

I personally would assume the UFC was footing the bill before the Aldo fight at least. And probably for the Mayweather fight as well.

• Advertisement

I personally would assume the UFC was footing the bill before the Aldo fight at least. And probably for the Mayweather fight as well.

At most they would have covered travel/hotel expenses for the corner. No way they paid for the kling-ons to travel, either Conor forked out or they saved their dole money.

Outside of the corner i think the only thing the UFC will help with is a nutritionist, I'm pretty sure Lockhart is UFC affiliated too.

The PI will also cover lots of things that fighters might have had to spring for before, like physio etc. (I would trust the UFC physio's though, if you are injured they will prob be telling you that you are fit enough to fight)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

The game devs are a big fan of DJ as well, I always got the impression they weren't happy with having Conor on the cover, probably never even talked to him where as they had lots of interaction with DJ.

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/ufc/ufc-3/news/icon-edition-reveal-demetrious-johnson

Its a digital version, so no real "cover" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I think you mis-read my comment. People opposing Kavanagh was exactly my point, not the opposite. I even follow up with an explanation.

Random american fighter complains about 1 corner man. And the general tone is that the UFC are bastards for it (see posts above). JK complains about it, and the general tone is that he's should suck it up. I just found the hypocrisy funny.

Whether JK was right or wrong to complain on twitter is inconsequential to the point. FWIW, I don't think he was being completely serious. Vegas airport is right on the stripe. He would have had first refusal at SBG on a free ticket.
    I think it was more about "SBG have two fighters on this card"

Sorry, I obviously interpreted your post to be the opposite of what you were actually saying.

At most they would have covered travel/hotel expenses for the corner. No way they paid for the kling-ons to travel, either Conor forked out or they saved their dole money.

You have a source on this?

I’ve never seen it confirmed either way. Only thing I’ve seen is speculation on reddit/sherdog but it’s not unreasonable to assume the UFC footed the bill for the MacMansion, especially before the Aldo fight.

Didn’t he make a comment in one of the video bits about being rewarded for all the promotion work he did in the run up to the cancelled fight.

Conor paid for the cling ons and sparing partners during the maymac camp anyway, I remember malinagi saying it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭Inviere

malinagi

God, don't even mention that chap please :o:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

You have a source on this?

I’ve never seen it confirmed either way. Only thing I’ve seen is speculation on reddit/sherdog but it’s not unreasonable to assume the UFC footed the bill for the MacMansion, especially before the Aldo fight.

Didn’t he make a comment in one of the video bits about being rewarded for all the promotion work he did in the run up to the cancelled fight.

I'm sure I've heard Luke Thomas on one of his podcasts say (to paraphrase) that the price that McGregor paid for his MacMansion was mouthwatering.

I think the Fertittas comped them suites at one of their hotels during a camp or two.

But yeah the UFC probably treat their talent far better than any other mma org (though they are 10 times bigger than any org) and 12k to show fighters on undercards will get a similar level of red carpet as headliners for BAMMA and Cage Warrior shows - though i suppose just because its the benchmark doesn't make it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

I'm sure I've heard Luke Thomas on one of his podcasts say (to paraphrase) that the price that McGregor paid for his MacMansion was mouthwatering.

I think the Fertittas comped them suites at one of their hotels during a camp or two.

But yeah the UFC probably treat their talent far better than any other mma org (though they are 10 times bigger than any org) and 12k to show fighters on undercards will get a similar level of red carpet as headliners for BAMMA and Cage Warrior shows - though i suppose just because its the benchmark doesn't make it right.

Celebs don’t pay for a lot of the stuff you see them bragging about paying for. The Mac mansion will be booked out for the next ten years by people who seen Connor renting it.
    When he goes to shopping centres and it’s reported he loved the stuff so much he spent 20g usually they beg him to come to the shop and let him take what he wants. It’s advertising.
    Social media influencers also get stuff for free and review them. Nearly everything Mac Gregor wears or uses is part of some freebee or endorsement deal.

• Advertisement

He's wrestling since the new year in fairness to him. I do think it'll be announced this week though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement