Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Delighted he had a picture taken with Putin, just to annoy the offended generation.

People are way too sensitive nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

There's a photo on his own Instagram of him carrying a glass of Heineken. Absolutely zero harm done.

Ah you're right. And what appears to be whiskey or something in the photo with the rapper.

I'm sure Ronaldo enjoys a glass or wine with his dinner. It's not an issue unless McGregor was getting smashed. But he was in a plane the next day to Russia looking fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Delighted he had a picture taken with Putin, just to annoy the offended generation.

People are way too sensitive nowadays.

How very "stick it to the man" of you. Viva la revolución!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,151 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Why are people obsessed about how much he drank, its ****ing weird like.

And you can be sure if you got to meet Putin like him you'd be up there shaking hands and taking pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

What happened to the moderation in here... Christ who cares what he is drinking and who he is meeting...... Dude was at the World Cup Final, for all you know Putin requested to meet him... Lets see one of you turn down that request while in Russia despite not having the same beliefs as Putin..

Thread should be locked until a fight is announced, this belongs in some celebrity gossip thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

MarkJD wrote: »
    What happened to the moderation in here... Christ who cares what he is drinking and who he is meeting...... Dude was at the World Cup Final, for all you know Putin requested to meet him... Lets see one of you turn down that request while in Russia despite not having the same beliefs as Putin..

Thread should be locked until a fight is announced, this belongs in some celebrity gossip thread!
    No top athletes in the world drink alcohol,
    It's no surprise the one thing that lets Conor down is his gas tank .,
    People think a drink is harmless, its not .not at the highest level of fitness,
    Someone said I'm sure Ronaldo has a wine , he doesn't he doesn't drink any alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

No top athletes in the world drink alcohol, It's no surprise the one thing that lets Conor down is his gas tank ., People think a drink is harmless, its not .not at the highest level of fitness, Someone said I'm sure Ronaldo has a wine , he doesn't he doesn't drink any alcohol.

LeBron James is a lover of wine so you're opening line is incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

ianob7 wrote: »
    No top athletes in the world drink alcohol, It's no surprise the one thing that lets Conor down is his gas tank ., People think a drink is harmless, its not .not at the highest level of fitness, Someone said I'm sure Ronaldo has a wine , he doesn't he doesn't drink any alcohol.

LeBron James is a lover of wine so you're opening line is incorrect
    Ye true I heard he has a glass of wine a day, but I suppose that's a little different to the way McGregor drinks
    Also LeBron seems to be one of a very rare bunch that does drink Alcohol and get's away with it,

Yeah, on reflection I'd imagine it was Putin who requested to meet McGregor..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Someone said I'm sure Ronaldo has a wine , he doesn't he doesn't drink any alcohol.

Usain Bolt enjoys a beer...He did alright for himself.

• Advertisement

"Bring me this Leprechaun who thinks he is gangster.."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

The French and Croatian presidents shared a stage shoulder to shoulder with Putin. It was a World Cup Final being held in his country. If you want to be there you have to be respectful and polite.

Basically every world leader of big nations has blood on their hands. If you want to meet them you have to shake that hand. If you want to only make principled political points you can stay at home on your keyboard in front of a computer screen. McGregor made his choice, and it's the same choice I would have made myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Yeah, I mean if he was to praise Hitler for his leadership and oratory skills, that'd of course be grand because you can admire Hitler for that sort of thing and be in disagreement with his genocidal tendencies...

Lads on here slam fighters for appearing with Kadyrov in Chechnya. This is no different.

It’s possible to admire someone for their positive attributes without compromising your own beliefs. In fact, to do so shows an open mind and ability to reason as well as an objective outlook.

Do you personally absolutely agree 100% with the ideals, ideologies and actions of all the public figures you admire? Doubtful.

Also, Hitler analogies?? C’mon man, seriously? Have you never heard of Godwin’s Law?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

It was me who mentioned Ronaldo. I've no idea if he drinks or not, I just assumed athletes would have the odd wine or beer occasionally. It wouldn't do any harm.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Jaysus lads, the whiskey is more a prop than anything else. He is starting to sell the swill soon you know :)

John_D80 wrote: »
    It’s possible to admire someone for their positive attributes without compromising your own beliefs. In fact, to do so shows an open mind and ability to reason as well as an objective outlook.

Do you personally absolutely agree 100% with the ideals, ideologies and actions of all the public figures you admire? Doubtful.

Also, Hitler analogies?? C’mon man, seriously? Have you never heard of Godwin’s Law?

Of course it is. But it's not possible to bang on about supporting LGBT rights and then pose for photos with Putin. Unless of course all that banging on about LGBT rights was just for show, rather than being in any way sincere...

What has Godwin's Law got to do with things when we're talking about expansionist totalitarian dictators? The analogy is admittedly extreme, but perfectly valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It's no surprise the one thing that lets Conor down is his gas tank .

B*llocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

He could have met the man, been polite, without calling him 'one of the greatest leaders of our time' or whatever. Optics be damned, obviously, but Brainless Mctwatface doesn't care about that anyway.

Dick.

Of course it is. But it's not possible to bang on about supporting LGBT rights and then pose for photos with Putin. Unless of course all that banging on about LGBT rights was just for show, rather than being in any way sincere...

BS. Does the same stand true for anyone that is in a photograph with him? Or anyone that praises him??
    What has Godwin's Law got to do with things when we're talking about expansionist totalitarian dictators? The analogy is admittedly extreme, but perfectly valid.

Hitler references are almost always the refuge of the desperate.

In fairness, if king skanger met Hitler, there'd be lads around here growing little mustaches..

• Advertisement

BS. Does the same stand true for anyone that is in a photograph with him? Or anyone that praises him??

Of course it's true for anyone. If you're in favour of individual freedom, such as LGBT rights in McGregor's case, then posing with Putin is 100% hypocritical and you can't complain if you get called out on it. Surely you can see this, no?

As for your second point, that's just not true, is it?

Of course it's true for anyone. If you're in favour of individual freedom, such as LGBT rights in McGregor's case, then posing with Putin is 100% hypocritical and you can't complain if you get called out on it. Surely you can see this, no?

As for your second point, that's just not true, is it?

So all world leaders, activists etc that are pictured with Putin, even outspoken proponents of LGBT rights are now hypocrites??

Get of the stage man.

So all world leaders, activists etc that are pictured with Putin, even outspoken proponents of LGBT rights are now hypocrites??

Get of the stage man.

Politicians in "are massive hypocrites" shocker. Stop the clocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think it's a bit extreme to suggest meeting a public figure means you automatically support their views. Is Putin now pro-equality for meeting McGregor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He didn’t “just meet him” though. He attended as his guest. It’s not as if he bumped into him and got a pic.

“Today I was invited to the World Cup final as a guest of Russian President Vladimir Putin.“

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Maybe he feels this might sell some PPVs in that part of the world if he ever fights a UFC fighter from Russia at some point in the future.

A long shot, I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I think people's expectations of McGregor are set ridiculously high, ironically by people who regularly bash him for the slightest offence...for the people who already think McGregor is a bit of a pillock, why on earth would you expect him to have highly nuanced political opinions and commitment to specific political ideologies??

He has on more than one occasion said that he doesn't know anything about anything other than fighting....is it beyond the realms of possibility that he's not even aware of the hypocrisy of speaking in glowing terms about Putin given his pre-equality stance at the time of the marriage referendum?

It seems a minor transgression at worst given McGregors profile and his lack of outward interest in politics in general (he pretty much said at the time of the marriage referendum that it was John Kavanagh raising his awareness of the situation that led to him supporting the yes vote, and even at that he was hardly knocking on doors canvassing).

I wouldn't mind, but the lad only chucked a dolly through a bus window recently enough, its not as if you have to reach that far to find actual things to be criticizing him about rather than making a fuss out of a non-issue related to topics McGregor has little real knowledge of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

I’d say Khabib was a bit peeved when he saw McGregor got to meet Vlad and he didn’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

You'd wonder did Vlad invite him just for the lols. I don't think Muslim Dagestanis are popular in Russia at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It’s entirely possible to admire Putin as a leader and indeed as a person and still be in disagreement with some of his policies or personal beliefs. I’m sure if you did even a little digging on a national leader you admire, you wouldn’t have to go too deep to find a moral/ethical issue in which you disagreed with them.

McGregor's admiration of Putin as a national leader or as a person doesn’t mean he has changed his stance or his “tune” on equality in the slightest.
    "One of the greatest leaders of our time", so he supports rights, but he thinks a guy who takes them away is one of the greatest leaders in the world.. hm

I'm sure you could find something to disagree with for every politician, but Putins not just any politician is he? the man is a dictator for life who represses rights, murders his opponents and critics, and is responsible of thousands of deaths and hundreds of thousands of refugees in chechnya.

If connor had to get the photo, fine, do it and keep your thick mouth shut like everyone else unless you want to come off as a hypocrite

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement