Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭Inviere

Jesus, some amount of sad acts in here.

Quite often, McGregor 'fanboys' (hate that term) will embarrass themselves with stupid comments, defending the indefensible, blaming anyone and everything except Conor, apeing his persona on social media, and so forth. Makes them look like knuckle dragging imbeciles.

Similarly, quite often, McGregor 'anti-fanboys', will embarrass themselves by latching onto what they perceive is yet another opportunity to proclaim their undying hatred of the man, his family, and anything he's ever touched...even when that 'opportunity' isn't what they think it is. Makes them look like jealous/begrudging snobs who get a sad kick out of spending an inordinate amount of time sneering at someone they proclaim they're not bothered with.

From the comfortable middle ground where most mature people sit, both sides are as bad as each other, just as painful to read, and makes the forum feel like a kindergarten at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Jesus, some amount of sad acts in here. The amount of personal abuse directed at Conor’s family is ridiculous. That video was clearly a pisstake and now you have lads calling him a terrible father etc. Full on good old Irish begrudgey in full swing.

Can’t wait to see Conor fight again, one of the best to ever do it. I reckon we will see an announcement within a few weeks once Thursday is out of the way.

Ah, the begrudgery card. Was wondering how long that would take.

His da is obviously trying to take the piss (out of who or what though is perhaps the more important question), but that doesn't stop him being a twat.

Ah the "we're not begrudgers" card, "we're just obsessed with people we proclaim to have no respect for." Was wondering how long that would take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

His da is obviously trying to take the piss (out of who or what though is perhaps the more important question), but that doesn't stop him being a twat.

Have to call it for exactly what it is. You don’t have to like Tony or Conor or any of his family, but to go to depths such as ‘Tony’s a terrible Dad’ over a video he was trying to have a bit of fun with or people saying Dee was high on drugs cause of a picture goes far too far.

Mods genuinely have a lot to answer for that they allow this personal abuse to continue unabated.

Conor is absolutely fair game at times but his family are not.

Just to extend that, it's got fook all to do with MMA...I don't want to know about Tony McGregor, I've no interest in the man, no feelings on him whatsoever, I don't care what he uploads, what he says, what he does, and what he doesn't do. To have to read this closet-obsession nonsense is akin to reading about what Sebastian Vettel's dad is doing, while browsing a race thread in the motorsport forum. Same goes for Dee, and anything else that's off topic but has the McGregor name on it.

All it does is give fuel to people with little else to do other than sneer and laugh at someone, which makes for bad forum management from the perception of the reader (no offence mods, no dig intended, but if something could be done with all this off topic bs it'd greatly increase the readability of this thread, and ultimately the forum). It's become an anti-McGregor echo chamber in here with regular allegations of drug use, affairs, 'illegitimate' children, and all manner of absolute tripe that belongs on page 42 of a rag celebrity gossip magazine.

Granted there's little in the way of MMA to discuss when it comes to McGregor lately, but that shouldn't mean it's acceptable to sneer like schoolchildren at his family. I think in doing so, it says more about the people sneering, than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

pgj2015 wrote: »
    hard to know if the tony video is real or not as he is generally an absolute embarrassment any time he opens his mouth, wearing expensive clothes and watches his son paid for, wearing sunglasses and doing the peace sign 24/7, if he was any good of a father he would have told conor to believe in himself years ago and not tried to force him to become a plumber.

C'mon now.

Who is going to advise their kid to stay on the dole and train martial arts all week rather than get an education or a trade.

It's a bit of a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Have to call it for exactly what it is. You don’t have to like Tony or Conor or any of his family, but to go to depths such as ‘Tony’s a terrible Dad’ over a video he was trying to have a bit of fun with or people saying Dee was high on drugs cause of a picture goes far too far.

Mods genuinely have a lot to answer for that they allow this personal abuse to continue unabated.

in fairness his dad is putting himself out there therefore he's fair game for comment.

he's fair game for comment.

Indeed, but in the right place. This is the MMA forum, I could here to read, discuss, post, and debate about MMA...not what Conor's family are up to of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Inviere wrote: »
    Quite often, McGregor 'fanboys' (hate that term) will embarrass themselves with stupid comments, defending the indefensible, blaming anyone and everything except Conor, apeing his persona on social media, and so forth. Makes them look like knuckle dragging imbeciles.

Similarly, quite often, McGregor 'anti-fanboys', will embarrass themselves by latching onto what they perceive is yet another opportunity to proclaim their undying hatred of the man, his family, and anything he's ever touched...even when that 'opportunity' isn't what they think it is. Makes them look like jealous/begrudging snobs who get a sad kick out of spending an inordinate amount of time sneering at someone they proclaim they're not bothered with.

From the comfortable middle ground where most mature people sit, both sides are as bad as each other, just as painful to read, and makes the forum feel like a kindergarten at times.

Well said. Some people really do like to embarrass themselves. What's worse is some of them don't even realise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭pgj2015

mdwexford wrote: »
    C'mon now.

Who is going to advise their kid to stay on the dole and train martial arts all week rather than get an education or a trade.

It's a bit of a long shot.

i suppose, it is not as if anything could have ever came from training hard and focusing on mma:confused:

maybe i was being a little hard on tony, that generation are very different to conors generation, they mostly just do what they are told and are not as ambitious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Ive said it before until conor decides to book a fight this thread should be moved to celeb/gossip forum. Conor has nothing to do with mma anymore for nearly 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

first sensible post on here since about 2014 :D
    couldnt agree more
    this thread is cringe at the best of times

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

pgj2015 wrote: »
    i suppose, it is not as if anything could have ever came from training hard and focusing on mma:confused:
    At that time there wasn't a single person making a proper living fighting MMA. There were guys fighting under pro rules, training hard and focusing on mma - with nothing to show for it. The prospects in MMA were very different in 2006 vrs 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You knows who is sound though? Darren Till. My wife is competing in wimp 2 warrior finale next weekend I wondered would he give a video message of support for the competitor's. I asked him through Instagram and he answered straight back with it.

Things like that I hope he goes right to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Indeed, but in the right place. This is the MMA forum, I could here to read, discuss, post, and debate about MMA...not what Conor's family are up to of late.

This is actually the conor mcgregor thread - not an mma thread - its all to do with conor - what he is at, where he is at - what he is doing, family life and whatever else he touches.

I know where your coming from but this is not an mma thread - its a thread about a guy who happens to be an mma fighter!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

ardinn wrote: »
    This is actually the conor mcgregor thread - not an mma thread - its all to do with conor - what he is at, where he is at - what he is doing, family life and whatever else he touches.

I know where your coming from but this is not an mma thread - its a thread about a guy who happens to be an mma fighter!

And should be in after hours

ardinn wrote: »

I think we're gonna need mod clarification on this. If true, I wonder can we have it moved to elsewhere.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

The thread wont be moved..

As with any thread if people are posting something offensive, against the charter etc then report it.

If you are offended/bored because someone is talking about something you dont want to read then you always have the choice to not read. Conor McGregor is the most talked about fighter on here and in Ireland, having a thread dedicated to just him means it isnt spilling over into all the other event threads, general mma chat etc.

Axwell wrote: »
    The thread wont be moved..

Any form of clarification as to its purpose then? Ie, have we to be subjected to stories about Tony McGregor's latest social media jibes, constant and defamatory allegations of drug use, illegitimate children, how Dee looks "off her head on the Charlie Ward", and so forth? Or can the thread be brought back to its roots, discussing Conor McGregor as a fighter, his past, his future, his options, and y'know, actually be related to MMA?

When he has a fight lined up im sure people will talk about “y’know mma”..until then when he is in the press or social media every week for something else people are likely to discuss that.

Also no one is stopping you talking about the list of things you mentioned - his past, his future, his options.

• Advertisement

When he has a fight lined up im sure people will talk about “y’know mma”..until then when he is in the press or social media every week for something else people are likely to discuss that.

Well, yes, they would, this is a Conor McGregor thread. I'm talking about the stories related to his father, his buddies, his girlfriend, his sisters, etc. Fair enough though, seems like it'll remain a free for all. Shame really, rather than being something to read and enjoy, it'll remain a scroll fest.

Also no one is stopping you talking about the list of things you mentioned - his past, his future, his options.

That can be hard to do, when the charter is violated on the hour almost
    7) No fighter bashing ( either pro org or local level - it's not cool and shows a small mind ).

8) No allegations against fighters

Well you have the option to stay clear of the thread till a fight is announced knowing then the discussion will be centred around that, or of starting a discussion around his past, his future or his options as you mentioned. But unless there is something worth talking about its always going to revert to whatever the latest piece of news is regardless of whether its tabloid nonsense or what he had for his dinner. Its all eyes on McGregor 24/7 and that applies to both the fans and the haters on here..

Well you have the option to stay clear of the thread till a fight is announced knowing then the discussion will be centred around that, or of starting a discussion around his past, his future or his options as you mentioned. But unless there is something worth talking about its always going to revert to whatever the latest piece of news is regardless of whether its tabloid nonsense or what he had for his dinner. Its all eyes on McGregor 24/7 and that applies to both the fans and the haters on here..

Ok, serious suggestion then, what about an actual 'off topic' thread...where posters can post about McGregors aunties sisters cousin to their hearts content, where posters can post about basically anything that involves an MMA fighter but has nothing at all to do with MMA? That way, we can all still read the McGregor thread, and avoid the off topic stuff without having them blending into each other?

So are comments and allegations about drug taking and personal abuse of his family members allowed? Just looking for some clarification on this as your above posts have not directly answered same as far as I can tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

So are comments and allegations about drug taking and personal abuse of his family members allowed? Just looking for some clarification on this as your above posts have not directly answered same as far as I can tell!

If you see a post that is against the charter report it. Thats how boards works, if its not reported then dont be expecting someone else to do it or a mod to just sit here reading every post.

If you see a post that is against the charter report it. Thats how boards works, if its not reported then dont be expecting someone else to do it or a mod to just sit here reading every post.

I understand that I can report posts but I’m asking if same is allowed in this thread. Can you please clarify?

I understand that I can report posts but I’m asking if same is allowed in this thread. Can you please clarify?

Read the charter for any clarification on whats allowed.

• Advertisement

Ok, serious suggestion then, what about an actual 'off topic' thread...where posters can post about McGregors aunties sisters cousin to their hearts content, where posters can post about basically anything that involves an MMA fighter but has nothing at all to do with MMA? That way, we can all still read the McGregor thread, and avoid the off topic stuff without having them blending into each other?
    Read the charter for any clarification on whats allowed.

Fair enough, thanks for the clarification. That said, the allegations are so blaze, so frequent, that reporting them is going to turn into a chore for users. The only way to fix the issue in any meaningful sense, is to visibly demonstrate what happens to persistent rule breakers, in an effort to slowly change the culture of "say what you want, sure it's only McGregor."

Any thoughts on my above suggestion?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement