Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Haha so now its acceptable to win a belt and go off do something else? What if everyone done that? All people want is for Conor to try defend the belt, walk to the octagon knowing he might leave without it. Theres no shame in losing in the UFC esp at the top level. The idea of belts is to go try take it off the champion not go out try win a maunfactured belt cause the champion wants to do other stuff. Ive no problem if title holder wants to go do something else, vacate the belt and you get first shot on your return. Im surprised at attitude towards it here esp cause most of ye actually compete in mma

If youre willing to fight for it...you should fight to keep it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Most are all arguing over the same point. Champion is binary like being pregnant, Conor is champion however there is an acceptable period before defense is needed, he has exceeded that as a normal fighter and even with Conor earning power he is getting to the end of that period in my view.

If you believe he is still 145 champion or will be 155 champion this time next year even if he doesn't fight you are a gob****e (I'll take the ban).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

dave1982 wrote: »
    Theres no shame in losing in the UFC esp at the top level.

No shame, but there is a loss of earnings. Which is very high on Conor's list of priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Effects wrote: »
    No shame, but there is a loss of earnings. Which is very high on Conor's list of priorities.

Even if he lost again his earnings would still be high. If Khabib and Tony are made fight each other and then Khabib wins and flattens Conor, that fight would still probably break the PPV record and then Conor just fights Nate again for his retirement fight, making another absolute bomb. I'm sure on top of that all of his other sponsorships and forays into exhibition boxing matches after that, he'll be sitting pretty for the rest of his life.

I'd hope he tailors his lifestyle to suit his bank balance and doesn't bother with more boxing matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The glory is in winning the belt. Defending is a lot more difficult and not as much of a money spinner usually - unless theres a McGregor sized star on the other side - but since McGregor has never defended a belt Ferguson and Khabib are huge fights in terms of uniqueness, cash and legacy.

I personally think he'll let this belt go and wait for a big payday catchweight fight. A GSP or something. He doesn't seem to have too much of an interest in a long title reign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

He might have a swansong fight in him. Might literally fight once more in the ufc.

I doubt he'll fight Ferguson or Khabib. He can work with Dana to get some bum. Make a fortune either way. Why would he bother getting into a real scrap in Vegas when a cherry picked sandbag in Croke Park or ssomewher else absurd makes the same money or more?. People pay to see him do anything.
    His celebrity status is so big so hyped up he could put petrol in his car and Joe.ie and ladbible be all over that like a rash.

Hes like the character in one of The Greatest films ever A face in the Crowd. Larry. A hyped up product who now believes his own hype and becomes a megalomaniac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I see he paid to have funderland shut down yesterday so him, he's family and friends could use it without queing. Wonder how much that cost

Wonder how much that cost

€23,487. In cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

sonofenoch wrote: »
    I don't reckon he was ever fighting at 145 again so he was never defending that belt .......who knows he might never fight at 155 so he'll give up that and can always say he's the real champ which you can't really argue against if no one beats him for it ........his only goal might be winning a belt, taking it off someone else and doesn't think anyone else worthy the opportunity of taking a belt off him........that of course can be argued against

Maybe so, but in that case it's still ultimately the UFC's responsibility to call it out. They are entirely to blame for allowing this situation to develop by failing to manage it properly, IMO. To give you an analogy, it'd be like Leinster being attacked for competing in the Champion's Cup in a year in which they didn't place well enough in the Pro 14 to qualify - dick move, sure, but ultimately it's EPCR's fault for allowing it to happen, since as the organisers of the event they could just say "ye didn't place well enough, you don't compete, either fight for it for next year or f*ck off and don't be annoying us". Sure, you can say that it's a dick move for Conor not to have defended the belt, but ultimately the UFC is responsible for managing its own events, and they are ultimately responsible if somebody is allowed to bend the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I see he paid to have funderland shut down yesterday so him, he's family and friends could use it without queing. Wonder how much that cost

what an arse hole thing to do, I suppose he couldn't bear to share it with the rest of the Irish public he pretends to love so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

pgj2015 wrote: »
    what an arse hole thing to do, I suppose he couldn't bear to share it with the rest of the Irish public he pretends to love so much.

Or.. what a nice thing to do for his family and his friends family..

Have you an idea the kind of people that go to Funderland? He would get mobbed and wouldn't be able to enjoy it at all. What's the point of all that money if he can't enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

You'd wanna be pretty miserable to begrudge him doing something like closing down funderland. He hardly shut down grafton street at Christmas. Seems like a pretty wholesome and decent thing to do for his pals and their kids in my opinion.

Mellor wrote: »
    Bad Rutten, Frank Mir, Fabrico Werdum, Vitor, Forrest Griffen, Rashad Evans, Shogun Rua, Luke Rockhold, Robert Whitaker, Carlos Newton, Matt Serra, Carlos Condit, Johnny Hendricks, Eddie Alvarez, Tony Ferguson, Cody Garbradt, and Conor McGregor.

Guess what hey all have in common?
    All champions who didn't (or are yet to) defended their belts

There is a difference between losing your first title defense and refusing to defend your title. Yeah lots of those guys didn't manage to defend their belt but how many point blank wouldn't defend?

edit: I see other people have already posted same thing as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

dulux99 wrote: »
    You'd wanna be pretty miserable to begrudge him doing something like closing down funderland. He hardly shut down grafton street at Christmas. Seems like a pretty wholesome and decent thing to do for his pals and their kids in my opinion.

Isn't funderland near the end of its season?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There is a difference between losing your first title defense and refusing to defend your title. Yeah lots of those guys didn't manage to defend their belt but how many point blank wouldn't defend?.
    I'm not comparing them to Conor situation. I'm debunking the Matt Hughes "defend" mantra. I can't believe people are actually trying to justify it. It's complete bollox.
    I imagine it's down to being blinded out of frustration with Conor

Haha so now its acceptable to win a belt and go off do something else? What if everyone done that? All people want is for Conor to try defend the belt, walk to the octagon knowing he might leave without it. Theres no shame in losing in the UFC esp at the top level. The idea of belts is to go try take it off the champion not go out try win a maunfactured belt cause the champion wants to do other stuff. Ive no problem if title holder wants to go do something else, vacate the belt and you get first shot on your return. Im surprised at attitude towards it here esp cause most of ye actually compete in mma

Not sure what posts you've been reading. There's literally only been one or two posters who said it was acceptable. And they were most likely trolling.
    Every other poster I've seen has said he needs to defend.

Have you an idea the kind of people that go to Funderland? He would get mobbed and wouldn't be able to enjoy it at all. What's the point of all that money if he can't enjoy it.

People like him?.
    A moot point. Keanu Reeves is 10 times more famous and rides normal trains/subways/buses. He never gets bothered as he lives normally no entourage of hangers on and juiced up bodyguards.
    People quickly accept and respect Keanus simple lifestyle.
    Conor wants the cult of celebrity ie posting it all over instagram.

You can enjoy money without depriving others. Some families might have only have been able to go that day.

Also whys he wearing cheap pyjamas at it?. Does he not even bother to dress himself these days?.

Keanu Reeves is 10 times more famous and rides normal trains/subways/buses. He never gets bothered as he lives normally.

You can enjoy money without depriving others. Some families might have only have been able to go that day.

Whys he wearing cheap pyjamas at it?

They are completely different celebrities with different types of fans.
    No one is really that interested in Keanu as his day to day life is probably pretty boring.

It's not his fault some families could only go that day. Surely you would book your trip to Funderland when it's open. The website was clear in saying it was closed on Monday the 8th.

He's wearing an expensive tracksuit, not cheap pyjamas. Obviously he wants to be comfortable at Funderland and still display his wealth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

People like him?.
    A moot point. Keanu Reeves is 10 times more famous and rides normal trains/subways/buses. He never gets bothered as he lives normally no entourage of hangers on and juiced up bodyguards.
    People quickly accept and respect Keanus simple lifestyle.

Also whys he wearing cheap pyjamas at it?. Does he not even bother to dress himself these days?.

Good lord. Depriving others. He closed down funderland for a few hours ffs. Get a grip man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Go away out of that, when your company books out a pub for christmas party do you feel guilty that others arent allowed in? is your boss an "arse hole" for doing it?

im sure it was planned, as other poster suggested it was advised on website and facebook, though that others didnt see it

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdw2w-EFvtb/?hl=en&taken-by=khabib_nurmagomedov

From his instagram an hour ago. Fight annoucement soon? Tony? Conor?
    khabib_nurmagomedov Big news coming.
    The Eagles continues to hunt.
    Скоро ждите больших новостей.
    Охота продолжается.
    #гдевытеперь #whereareyouNow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Conor is getting stripped and they're setting up Khabib vs Tony for the belt is my guess.
    They can't make tony defend an interim belt, if they do it's a farce.

Sure they can. Hasn't stopped any of the farces in the past while happening. Dana has been openly talking about doing Tony V Khabib too as long as Conor commits to fighting the winner. Of course almost nothing Dana says should be taken at face value but the fact he's even talking about the possibility should show the UFC has no qualms about throwing the rules out the window re interim belts.

Conor is getting stripped and they're setting up Khabib vs Tony for the belt is my guess.
    They done it before. With the HWs. That was the money division back then. I wouldn't put it past them tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭pgj2015

fitzparker wrote: »
    Go away out of that, when your company books out a pub for christmas party do you feel guilty that others arent allowed in? is your boss an "arse hole" for doing it?

im sure it was planned, as other poster suggested it was advised on website and facebook, though that others didnt see it

I don't have a boss, I am my own boss. I just think its a tacky thing to do, and of course put it all over instagram to show everyone. I love the way any picture he puts up on istagram has comments of defend or vacate motherfuc*er ha

lol at his dad always wearing sunglasses, its pitch dark outside man.

He totally courts being a celebrity. But he's at a level where he couldn't go to Funderland as a normal punter and enjoy it. That's the downside. But he doesn't care, he just books it out for him and his mates.

They are completely different celebrities with different types of fans.
    No one is really that interested in Keanu as his day to day life is probably pretty boring.

It's not his fault some families could only go that day. Surely you would book your trip to Funderland when it's open. The website was clear in saying it was closed on Monday the 8th.

He's wearing an expensive tracksuit, not cheap pyjamas. Obviously he wants to be comfortable at Funderland and still display his wealth.

Keanus day to day life is boring?. How do ya know? So is Conors!. Hes not riding elephants down Grafton St everyday is he?.
    Keanu seems 100 times more interesting to me and he doesnt go around in cheap ass pyjamas like a Heroin head like Conor.All the money in the world and the guy goes around like a tramp.

• Advertisement

All the money in the world and the guy goes around like a tramp.

I don't think he looks that much like a tramp.

37552769372_d4ff779fcd_k.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement