Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Axwell wrote: »
    Read the charter for any clarification on whats allowed.

Very strange, I’ve read the charter and know what’s allowed and what’s not but anybody with a reasonable mind can see that the charter is not being applied to this thread.

I’m fully aware of how the report function works but I don’t think that’s the point. I would have thought as moderator your role was to ensure threads and discussions are in line with charter and it should not be left solely to posters to moderate via the report function. It’s only one tool.

Look, I’m not gonna go on any further here as I’m not a regular poster and don’t want to further derail this thread but I am a constant lurker/reader. I’d also have thought from a defamation point of view, some of the content would be strictly moderated but hey ho that’s not my concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭Inviere

I’d also have thought from a defamation point of view, some of the content would be strictly moderated but hey ho that’s not my concern.

Without a doubt, it's treated very seriously by Boards. As Axwell is saying though, a mod(s) aren't expected to read every single post on a thread. They rely on user reports, and once a report is made about defamatory content, it's usually handled very swiftly. As I understand it, if Boards is made aware of defamatory content via a report, and nothing is done about it, that's where the legal trouble can begin for the site.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Inviere wrote: »
    Fair enough, thanks for the clarification. That said, the allegations are so blaze, so frequent, that reporting them is going to turn into a chore for users. The only way to fix the issue in any meaningful sense, is to visibly demonstrate what happens to persistent rule breakers, in an effort to slowly change the culture of "say what you want, sure it's only McGregor."

Any thoughts on my above suggestion?

A chore for the users!? The mods are the ones who have to do the work, you are simply reporting something thats against the charter or out of line.

You are posting today complaining about the non MMA content being posted on the thread, multiple posts about it when it takes a mere second to report a post. I said you were free to post something relevant for discussion about his past, his future and his options and your response was thats hard to do when people are posting about other stuff. When I look back at your post history prior to this weekend your last post was about McGregors car tax and insurance, do you see the irony in that?

I will consider an off topic thread when I have time and am at the pc but when there is nothing mma related to discuss there is very little need for one. Discussion is driven by what people are posting about, when talking about his future and his options for example it enevitably will have comments about Dee expecting another child, him having other business opportunities and a lack of interest in fighting so where does one draw the line on that part?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I doubt we'll see McGregor accusing anyone of defamation anytime soon, it would kill his whole self promotion model

Axwell wrote: »
    A chore for the users!? The mods are the ones who have to do the work, you are simply reporting something thats against the charter or out of line.

A simple report isn't a chore for users, that's not at all what I meant. What I did mean, was that the problem here in this thread was so persistent, so frequent, and practically guaranteed to happen, that unless visibly actioned by mods, it'll feel like a chore for users to report, report, report, report, and see the same stuff continuing to happen, as it currently does. Again this isn't meant as a criticism, but there'll be pages and pages of charter breaking posts made here, a public warning by yourself, and then before long, pages and pages of charter breaches, another warning, another break, ad naseum. There's little being done to disuade posters dropping in with witty jibes about cocaine, illegitimate children, and all manner of garbage.
    You are posting today complaining about the non MMA content being posted on the thread, multiple posts about it when it takes a mere second to report a post. I said you were free to post something relevant for discussion about his past, his future and his options and your response was thats hard to do when people are posting about other stuff. When I look back at your post history prior to this weekend your last post was about McGregors car tax and insurance, do you see the irony in that?

Truthfully? I don't tend to report posts here because the persistent rule breaches do little to convey the notion that the mods here are at all bothered with any of it, barring the odd on thread warning. I more or less see it as a waste of time tbh, because it has gone on that long. I know mod action isn't always visible to users, but the culture of "say what you will" here isn't being actively deterred, regardless of whether mod action is visible or not. The tax and insurance comment I made was me foolishly getting involved with people who relish any little thing they see McGregor in the wrong with; ie, in that case, his cars not displaying tax and insurance credentials. It's kinda case in point, many come here to read posts about MMA, or maybe hear what McGregor is doing in relation to the sport...not to read about what is or isn't displayed in his car window.
    I will consider an off topic thread when I have time and am at the pc but when there is nothing mma related to discuss there is very little need for one. Discussion is driven by what people are posting about, when talking about his future and his options for example it enevitably will have comments about Dee expecting another child, him having other business opportunities and a lack of interest in fighting so where does one draw the line on that part?

Dee expecting a child, Conor's business opportunities, and so forth I think are fine. If you're looking for where to draw the line, I'd start with videos his father is putting up online, accusations that Dee looks like she's on drugs, and so forth.

• Advertisement

I would also thank you Axwell, for facilitating this discussion and not shutting it down. While it itself is off topic, I feel it is important for the readability of the thread to have it.

Should just start a separate 'gay for McGregor' thread..

Should just start a separate 'gay for McGregor' thread..

So group 1 from this post? - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107583142&postcount=4142

I'd prefer one for group 3 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Inviere - to be honest this is an off topic 'mcgregor' thread - when a fight is announced a 'mcgregor v Khabib' (or whoever) thread will be created!

You can discuss your past, present, future option on the general mma thread or even start a new one all on its own!!

ardinn wrote: »
    Inviere - to be honest this is an off topic 'mcgregor' thread - when a fight is announced a 'mcgregor v Khabib' (or whoever) thread will be created!

You can discuss your past, present, future option on the general mma thread or even start a new one all on its own!!

Don’t think anyone would argue that it’s not an ‘off topic’ thread but it’s where you draw the line. Personal abuse of Conor’s family is in my opinion way beyond the scope of ‘off topic’ imo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Jaysus wtf happened here today....

Don’t think anyone would argue that it’s not an ‘off topic’ thread but it’s where you draw the line. Personal abuse of Conor’s family is in my opinion way beyond the scope of ‘off topic’ imo!

Indeed, and to be fair, it's hardly on-topic with Conor these days is it :D But yeah, the constant charter breaches, general character bashing, accusations of drugs, illegitimate children, no car tax, and that kinda thing...there's off topic and then there's off topic Facebook.
    dashoonage wrote: »
    Jaysus wtf happened here today....

Don't worry I'm outta here now, let business as usual resume :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Inviere, one thing for you, given you're banging on about "defamation".

Legally, if you claim defamation, the burden is on you to prove you have been defamed by showing that the allegation is/isn't true as appropriate. How would you propose this is achieved? Until done so, you should perhaps pipe down about "defamatory" posts.

Legally, if you claim defamation, the burden is on you to prove you have been defamed by showing that the allegation is/isn't true as appropriate. How would you propose this is achieved? Until done so, you should perhaps pipe down about "defamatory" posts.

Lol talk about missing the point

Mod:You should perhaps ‘pipe down’ with your attitude towards other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

This is actually the worst yet

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

Omg...like what is happening here...it's a mess...sort your **** out...

Omg...like what is happening here...it's a mess...sort your **** out...

Mod: Back on track folks...enough of the stupid posts like this adding nothing to the discussion.

A few of you seem to think lately you can post what you like, being lenient with people on the forum seems to go to their heads and taken for granted. So consider that a warning that any nonsense will be on the receiving end of a card and repeat offenders will be taking a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You know his bald mate with the beard

You've had way too much to drink. The guy in the photo you linked isn't bald.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

To try and get things somewhat on track...

If he is to fight Khabib, how do we think it will go? He will be almost 2 years out of the octagon going against an animal like Khabib.

The build up will be good, the actual fight though, I can see it being a 5 rounder with Khabib just being too strong. But time will tell (I hope).

• Advertisement

Gintonious wrote: »

If he is to fight Khabib, how do we think it will go? He will be almost 2 years out of the octagon going against an animal like Khabib.

The build up will be good, the actual fight though, I can see it being a 5 rounder with Khabib just being too strong. But time will tell (I hope).

The only chance McGregor has with Khabib is a first round, or very early second round KO/TKO. After that, his gas tank is shot and it becomes a very bad night for him facing 3.5 rounds of Khabib. We have seen Khabib standing and trading with Iaquinta, and there's definite holes there for McGregor to exploit. That said, Khabib was just playing with Iaquinta, he's not going to fight like that against McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

I think cardio was always going to be a issue regardless of how long he was out for, he just needs to get his take down defense as good as possible and get a proper scrap going, Khabib looked like he was enjoying the stand up in his last fight tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,859 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

If he can avoid the takedowns he'll KO Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

The Nal wrote: »
    If he can avoid the takedowns he'll KO Khabib.

He won't avoid takedowns against Khabib though, he will get mauled

• Registered Users Posts: 12,859 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

He won't avoid takedowns against Khabib though, he will get mauled

Probably yeah. Will be looking to do the KO business early.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I agree with Inviere, Conor can put away Khabib in the first 2 rounds but after that, it's gonna be a long very uncomfortable night for him. I can't see Khabib finishing him at all though so Conor always has the start of the round to keep it standing. He's in a position where he knows exactly what the other guy is gonna do and just train takedown defense. I mean, he's still gonna get taken down but if he can stop even a couple and connect with a few counters, will be enough to sway the fight.

Eddie has class wrestling, not Khabib level, but he said that went out the window after the first few exchanges.

I really hope this court case goes well Thursday, they book the fight for UFC 229 and we have 2 good months of getting hyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Kahbib has shown he can be caught, he leaves his chin open. But if he takes down Conor he'll be mauled, he just takes the life of his opponent. McGregors suspect cardio will be no match for Khabib in later rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Khabib has proven he is hittable in almost every single fight he has had and Michael Johnson had him doing the chicken dance.

His wrestling is obviously insanely good but every fight and round starts on the feet and unless Khabib has tightened up his standup significantly (which I don’t think is possibly in this little time) then Conor is going to drop him with the first clean shot he lands. Watch the Iaquinta fight back, Khabib’s footwork is poor for the perceived level he is at.

Khabib, as things stand, is one of the most overrated fighters in UFC history IMO. People seem to think he’s some sort of monster but in reality he has fought one person that could be considered truly elite.

Conor by stoppage in round 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭xtal191

People always go on about Johnson rocking Khabib but it really was nowhere as bad as people make out

ezgif.com-resize-72.gif

But if the fight does ever happen I honestly think McGregor will KO him with ease within the first 3 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Yep, McGregor first round KO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement