Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Paully, I can almost here the Khabib lovers stampeding to this thread right now :)

What I love about this fight is the whole IF conor keeps it standing, he wrekcs him and IF khabib keeps it on the ground, he wrecks him. Very intriguing.

When Conor does win, I just hope he sticks around to take out a few top guys. I've an awful feeling he will jump to WW for a title shot. I did not enjoy watching him fight at that weight and if he fights an actual WW, he gets wrecked. Would like him to rack up some wins and cement his legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭xtal191

Till vs McGregor for the WW belt 2019 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭Inviere

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I've an awful feeling he will jump to WW for a title shot.

He gets killed at WW imo, no chance. Like you, I didn't particularly feel he was playing to his strengths at 170

Paully D wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/fifty_jay/status/1020733160605331456?s=21

He’d do well to remember that a few years ago he’d have been very glad for that €17+ in change when he was scrambling for taxi fares.

the tree grew right beside where the apple fell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

As was said above, let’s all hope that Thursday goes smoothly. I reckon we will see movement on a fight fairly quickly if it does. Are there any big Vegas dates in October/November without a headline event yet?

As for the fight itself, I’m still not convinced by Khabib personally, I wasn’t impressed with his performance against Al. His wrestling is extremely impressive but he has not fought anyone with the footwork and accuracy that Conor has.

I think this is a fight where you will know very quickly what way it’s gonna go. If Conor can hold the centre of cage and make Khabib back up I think he will ko him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

A question on the gas tank. Disregarding the Mayweather fight, he's only really gassed fighting Diaz. He was carrying more weight than usual for both fights, but that also meant he didn't need to cut.
    Could the extra weight be the reason he gassed so quickly, or would the fact he didn't need to cut lessen the effect?
    The weight is obvious, but i have no idea how much the cut affects stamina.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I see we're back to having the Khabib discussion again
    Khabib rocked by johnson
    Conor's takedown defense
    Gas tank
    conclusion: stays standing conor, goes to ground khabib
    PPV numbers

And see you again in 3 months

I see we're back to having the Khabib discussion again
    Khabib rocked by johnson
    Conor's takedown defense
    Gas tank
    PPV numbers

And see you again in 3 months

When the alternative is to discuss Tony McGregor's suitability as a father, I'll take the groundhog discussions any day :D

Will we ever see Dustin get another crack at McGregor?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Inviere wrote: »
    When the alternative is to discuss Tony McGregor's suitability as a father, I'll take the groundhog discussions any day :D

Will we ever see Dustin get another crack at McGregor?

I'm the opposite, but enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,149 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Inviere wrote: »
    He gets killed at WW imo, no chance. Like you, I didn't particularly feel he was playing to his strengths at 170

Till or Woodley are big dudes, they would murder McGregor. LW or nothing for him.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Till or Woodley are big dudes, they would murder McGregor. LW or nothing for him.

Yeah I think LW is where he's at his best. He was a beast at FW but the weight cut looks like it takes a serious toll on him. Would love to see him go at Khabib, Tony, and Dustin. If he did that I think it'd greatly help his legacy. I've zero appetite for a Diaz rematch

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I can't see Conor going for a third bent until they bring in a 165lb strap. Which will happen eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mellor wrote: »
    I can't see Conor going for a third bent until they bring in a 165lb strap. Which will happen eventually.

Conor v GSP will launch this I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

MrStuffins wrote: »

Conor v GSP will launch this I reckon!
    I agree and GSP will come to LW

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Paully, I can almost here the Khabib lovers stampeding to this thread right now :)

What I love about this fight is the whole IF conor keeps it standing, he wrekcs him and IF khabib keeps it on the ground, he wrecks him. Very intriguing.

When Conor does win, I just hope he sticks around to take out a few top guys. I've an awful feeling he will jump to WW for a title shot. I did not enjoy watching him fight at that weight and if he fights an actual WW, he gets wrecked. Would like him to rack up some wins and cement his legacy.

Only if he does it early though. Both Diaz fights showed his cardio failing by the end of the second and his punches not having anywhere near the same effect as earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Only if he does it early though. Both Diaz fights showed his cardio failing by the end of the second and his punches not having anywhere near the same effect as earlier on.
    Diaz is a freak for taking punishment though. I can't see Khabib taking the same level of abuse and staying standing.

If Khabib gets him on the ground though... Well, that's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

So its official...Dee is expecting another child. Is this good or bad for conor's career?? Will be fight again?

Edit: Dee posted her pregnancy 10 days ago on her instagram page

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I was watching back some of Khabib tonight:

I know he ultimately mauled Barboza in the end but his footwork when on show in that fight was so sloppy and the less said about his footwork in Iaquinta fight the better. I just don’t see how Conor doesn’t get numerous opportunities to land clean on him.

Also, lets not forget that his decision win against Tibau was an utter robbery. It was before the time the always handy MMA Decisions site got very popular, but even so 6 or the 7 media guys scored it 30-27 to Tibau I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Tazzimus wrote: »
    If Khabib gets him on the ground though... Well, that's a different story.

But if Conor keeps it standing then he'll finish Khabib with a stoppage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Effects wrote: »

Yeah but if it goes to the ground, Khabib will maul him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

For the sake of balance, Khabib has been in the championship rounds once. And while he was dominant, his takedowns faded big time in those rounds.
    I think he landed 1 takedown out of 6 verses Raging Al.
    Yeah but if it goes to the ground, Khabib will maul him.

If Khabib gets in down 3 minutes into the first. Conor has to survive 2 mins and gets to go again.
    If Conor drops Khabib, he's much less likely to get a do-over.

Khabib can be more likely to get him down, yet conor still more likely to knock him out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

'The Mountain' Challenges Conor McGregor To A Real Fight

http://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/sport-who-would-win-in-a-fight-conor-mcgregor-or-the-mountain-20180719
    In an interview with Off the Ball, he said: "Bring me some shorts and put us in a cage, I'll fight again. I had him a few times, but I just didn't want to break him. I was like, '**** this, I'm not going to run after this small guy!'

"He's running around, you know? I don't have cardio for running around after small guys."
    so, whos cardio holds up longest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

'The Mountain' Challenges Conor McGregor To A Real Fight

http://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/sport-who-would-win-in-a-fight-conor-mcgregor-or-the-mountain-20180719

so, whos cardio holds up longest?

Mountain, Conor can't chase small guys around either

The man is a giant, couldn't see McGregor or anyone of that size troubling him at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Pedro Pascal is about the same height as McGregor :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

For the sake of balance, Khabib has been in the championship rounds once. And while he was dominant, his takedowns faded big time in those rounds.
    I think he landed 1 takedown out of 6 verses Raging Al.

After the fight he talked about how he wanted to use those rounds to practice standup in a real fight environment as he already had the victory.

I'm not sure what truth is in that, but I don't recall him looking tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    After the fight he talked about how he wanted to use those rounds to practice standup in a real fight environment as he already had the victory.

I'm not sure what truth is in that, but I don't recall him looking tired.

It’s the type of thing fighters say, but there’s no truth at all in it IMO.

Their aim is to get in and out as quickly as possible.

The longer a fight goes on, the more oppprtunity an opponent has to catch you, especially at UFC level. It only takes a split second regardless of who they are or how dominating they have been up until that point.

There’s no way Khabib wouldn’t have wanted to be out of there in round 1 if at all possible, never mind using the 5th round to practice his stand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Which is basically what I said in the other half of my post that you didn't quote :)

Standing - Conor
    Ground - Khabib

Having said that, Conor's distance control and awareness is fantastic, so he'll have enough space between them to ping the head off Khabib, but make a safe retreat if he shoots. Or, have enough space to see him shooting and clip him on the way in

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Which is basically what I said in the other half of my post that you didn't quote :)

Standing - Conor
    Ground - Khabib

Having said that, Conor's distance control and awareness is fantastic, so he'll have enough space between them to ping the head off Khabib, but make a safe retreat if he shoots. Or, have enough space to see him shooting and clip him on the way in
    Khabib takes him down round one after about 20 seconds and the stays on top for the whole round,
    Same thing round 2 but finishes him near the end of the round, .
    Conor will not keep Khabib off him,

• Advertisement

Khabib takes him down round one after about 20 seconds and the stays on top for the whole round,
    Same thing round 2 but finishes him near the end of the round, .
    Conor will not keep Khabib off him,

A definite and distinct possibility I would say. Conor's stamina would take an absolute pummeling if brought down early in a round.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement