Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

VW 1 wrote: »
    Mcgregor isn't resident in the US so he will pay any taxes at the marginal rate in Ireland, as determined by his accountant.

No you pay tax on income earned in the USA

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Like Diaz, he won't have a psychological headstart on Khabib, another factor worth considering. Mcgregor potentially even at a deficit here come fight night.

I'm not sure about that. It didn't work on Diaz, but Khabib takes his religion pretty seriously. It could be a good place for Conor to take aim at.
    I remember reading a quote from Khabib where he said McGregor cant get a licence to fight in New York.
    I doubt Khabib knows anything about that, just stirring the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

spix wrote: »
    Conor will win as long as its a yesmenless training camp

I'm sure his cling ons like Gerry Vegas will be licking his arse knowing a fight is likely to be announced soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

UFC makes most cash out of Vegas, they can add the extra 200 onto massive ticket fights and MGM will expect to have Conor fights should they happen and to add to that the commission in NY state could easily **** with a massive fight a risk I wouldnt take given the marketing spend on Conor v Khabib.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Effects wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that. It didn't work on Diaz, but Khabib takes his religion pretty seriously. It could be a good place for Conor to take aim at.

It didn’t really work out too well when Charlie Hebdo took aim at that religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

It didn’t really work out too well when Charlie Hebdo took aim at that religion.

Was he fighting in Pride ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

No you pay tax on income earned in the USA

Ireland has a double taxation agreement with the US, you only pay tax in the country in which you are resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Didn't McGregor register as an American resident a couple of years ago?

Did the NSAC hearing list him as a Last resort Vegas resident?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Whelo79 wrote: »

You don't "register" as a tax resident. It is dependent on a number of factors, most prominent where you make your home and spend the majority of your time. In McGregor's case, he is clearly tax resident in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

You don't "register" as a tax resident. It is dependent on a number of factors, most prominent where you make your home and spend the majority of your time. In McGregor's case, he is clearly tax resident in Ireland.

When you're a HNWI like McGregor he'll have accountants that make sure he plays the tax system right regardless of where he earns it to be fair.

When you earn what he did in 2017 in one year, you'll be advised on the number of days you spend in each country to attempt non-dom status or such if hes inclined to minisise his tax liabilities.

And even then the moneys he earns in each state will be subject to a withholding tax I'd imagine when paid so even if just a cash flow question if theres a dual taxation agreement it could be a factor when deciding where.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

If you spend more than 50% of the days of the year, ie. 183 you are considered a resident for tax purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

VW 1 wrote: »
    Ireland has a double taxation agreement with the US, you only pay tax in the country in which you are resident.
    It's not that simple. The treaty means you won't pay tax twice on the same income. But there are pages and pages of clauses. Pretty sure one says that sportspeople and entertainers pay tax were it was earned.

I'm sure he has somebody who knows the system working to minimise his tax bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I saw Conor tweeted something about Calgary, Canada but deleted it. Anyone catch what it was?

Looks like he tweeted "Calvary, Canada" before deleting it. Rumor that Khabib is in Canada. Maybe he's heading up after the trial to announce their fight at the UFC this weekend. Great card but it's only a Fox card and since they are cutting ties with Fox, not the most sensical place to announce the fight unless it's gonna be sooner than expected and they want to milk every minute they can.

Ah, all speculation, just want the fight announced :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I saw Conor tweeted something about Calgary, Canada but deleted it. Anyone catch what it was?

Looks like he tweeted "Calvary, Canada" before deleting it. Rumor that Khabib is in Canada. Maybe he's heading up after the trial to announce their fight at the UFC this weekend. Great card but it's only a Fox card and since they are cutting ties with Fox, not the most sensical place to announce the fight unless it's gonna be sooner than expected and they want to milk every minute they can.

Ah, all speculation, just want the fight announced :)
    Presume must have been a reference to Alvarez, Poitiers, Aldo or all three?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

What time is the court case today?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Maybe his punishment will be a mandatory defence.

express.co.uk say between 2 and 7pm today.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

U think the Cavalry tweet was just him making a double typing error for Calgary ie. misspelling and typed in twitter not the search bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

GiftofGab wrote: »
    What time is the court case today?

Main card starts 3am, I expect his fight to walk out at about 5am.

• Advertisement

good to see he brought his tailor with him.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    good to see he brought his tailor with him.

New range of suits instead of saying **** you, the pinstripe says I'm sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

MAFighting.com

Verified account

@MMAFighting
    5s6 seconds ago
    More
    Conor McGregor has been dismissed of all felony accounts. He will have to do 5 days of community service, pay restitution for the damage to the bus, and enter anger management evaluation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Jesus that's laughably soft, and people give out about the Irish system

Civil court time, maybe they will all group together for a single case.

Now when will we see the UFC229 posters out? 2 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Laughably soft

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    New range of suits instead of saying **** you, the pinstripe says I'm sorry.

Anger Mgt 101 Alumni

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement