Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Anyone else think that Diaz poses all sorts of problems for Poirier?

Of all the top tier fighters at LW, Dustin is probably the one that Diaz has the best shot at beating I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Mellor wrote: »
    If he beats Diaz, the title shot is his.

Remember it takes 18 months to build a title shot. But one loss and it's gone.
    No reason why McGregor, Porrier, Tony can't be the next 3 to fight for the title.

True, to be honest I think he deserved it after Alverez but if he was taking another non title fight i feel it should be against Ferguson or Lee. Diaz is sort of ammo for the "purist" to say "your last win was Diaz how do you deserve it."

I do think Diaz does prove a big threat to Dustin, but it will be a great stand up fight

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I think Dustin is banking on Diaz being a PPV draw, and the Tony/ Conor/ Khabib love triangle taking some time to play out. It's a massive gamble in every respect, but a great fight for fans. He's probably right in assuming Tony will take precedence, but perhaps wrong in thinking Diaz will draw significant numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Seems like UFC may be setting up the trilogy fight in 2019? If Conor beats Khabib and Diaz beats Poirier then it's the obvious fight; likewise if they both lose its the obvious fight. If one wins and the other loses the UFC will say so what and just make it anyway. Exciting times hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Inviere

The trilogy Diaz fight has virtually no appeal for many I reckon. I mean, it’s just a stamina test for Conor. Nate’s striking isn’t on the same planet as Conor’s, so it’s just a question of if Conor will have to run away for two rounds or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Surely Diaz/Poirier would be co main to Khabib/Conor if it gets booked??

If the main event falls apart there is two ranked fighters ready to step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Inviere wrote: »
    The trilogy Diaz fight has virtually no appeal for many I reckon. I mean, it’s just a stamina test for Conor. Nate’s striking isn’t on the same planet as Conor’s, so it’s just a question of if Conor will have to run away for two rounds or not.
    If the trilogy happens, it happens at LW. Which helps Conor's cardio, hinders Diaz's durability. It's not a gimme, but it's not as big an ask as UFC202.

Diaz v Poirier is setup the for the winner to fight for the title should Tony not be fit time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Mellor wrote: »
    If the trilogy happens, it happens at LW. Which helps Conor's cardio

I asked a while back, but would the fact Conor didn't need to cut for WW not help his stamina as well?
    I honestly have no idea if carrying the extra weight or cutting would drain more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Cheers

Part-time followers

Gossip queen :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Inviere wrote: »

It's only interesting because of Conor's loss at 196. If that fight had happened at lightweight - or possibly even if Conor had had more time to get bulked up and used to a welterweight body - I reckon he'd have won it handily. Not being adequately prepared because of short notice, and having to go up another weight class in just a couple of weeks, was his undoing in that fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Also, prediction for the UFC's own penalty for Conor's bus antics - he'll have to pay all of the injured fighters' agreed purses for 223. As far as I know, the UFC would have had to pay them anyway despite their having to pull out, so it makes sense that Conor will be asked to cough up for that out of his own pocket, and reimburse the UFC for having to pay the fighters' wages for fights which didn't go ahead because of Conor. I'd imagine after that, that it'll be case closed, nothing to see here, move on. They'll probably make a very public thing of it and Conor will maybe have to talk about it publicly, but I can't see it going further than that. And I definitely can't see them docking his pay or anything for future fights, since he can - and probably would - play hardball and walk away if they so much as threatened to do so.

It's only interesting because of Conor's loss at 196. If that fight had happened at lightweight - or possibly even if Conor had had more time to get bulked up and used to a welterweight body - I reckon he'd have won it handily. Not being adequately prepared because of short notice, and having to go up another weight class in just a couple of weeks, was his undoing in that fight.

Indeed, and even with the knowledge he took from it he still struggled in the rematch. Don’t get me wrong I feel Conor won the rematch in a very clear 3-2, but he was zonked for two rounds of it. When he wasn’t struggling with cardio, he was a pure joy to watch in that fight...his movement and striking were on another level to Nate’s. Nate has a head made of granite, and it was hard to imagine most anyone else at that weight taking that level of punishment and getting back up. Was a great scrap, but it’s done, we don’t need to see it again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If Conor is the lw champ and is defending it against Diaz then it's a very appealing fight. Not interested in seen them slug it out at 170 again for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I cant see any fight announcement tonight. Reckon it would of leaked by now if it was all agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Such an anticlimax f this doesn't get announced tonight

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1025473280709410823?s=19

Conor McGregor embodies the worst aspects of humanity..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Zero-Cool wrote: »

What the **** was that??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Don't hold back...tell us how you really feel about McGregor :pac:

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Don't hold back...tell us how you really feel about McGregor :pac:

Wouldn't be a fan..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Someone said it here yesterday, they will play pre recorded video at presser of conor, i was thinking yeah yeah another fanboy but he might actually be right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Love the detractors that take the time and put in the legwork to stick around here, well in lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Come on not another 45 mims late job

AND WE ARE LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭xtal191

Prob didn't want him at the presser sure he'd turn up 2 hours late anyway, plus there would be no point in any other fighter being there, every question would be for Conor. Best to have a separate presser for Conor and Khabib.

As someone else said if its to be announced tonight it'll prob be a short promo at the end, which will do me just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

dave1982 wrote: »
    Someone said it here yesterday, they will play pre recorded video at presser of conor, i was thinking yeah yeah another fanboy but he might actually be right

1. That was me
    2. How dare you sir! I'm more a realist fan hoping to see him back soon.
    3. I'm thinking that so he doesn't have to get asked 50 questions about the bus. All the other guys will be wasted up there as well. Video will play, Dana will announce their own presser 'soon'.

Saying that, everything I guessed about this whole situation so far has been very wrong so, yeah.

1. That was me

ohh ****, sorry haha:o

yep i think youre right bout separate," I won't doubt you now ":D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Where can I watch it?

Ufc youtube channel. Hasnt started yet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Where can I watch it?

Its on UFC YouTube channel not live yet.

• Advertisement

I’d stay away from career politicians so if I were you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement