Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Not really a suprise but twitter (and MMA twitter) can be so grim.

Any journalist commenting on Khabib is rightly condemning him, but so many people underneath coming out to defend and justify Khabib belittling those at their lowest ebb.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Scummy thing to do (I volunteer with more than one homeless service in Dublin) but if we start questioning the morals of fighters then it's a slippery slope. I think I read somewhere over the weekend that Darren Till mentioned he hadn't seen his daughter in over a year and he doesn't care, he also has a pregnant girlfriend and doesn't care about that either. However, it won't change my opinion of him as a fighter, we shouldn't hold up fighters as role models.

Yes I think I agree on the role model front.. but we do have to decide whether to give them money or not and that's something I'm not happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A slight generalisation there.
    A generalisation how?

Saying "it's not something associated with" isn't the same as saying "all Russians ignore human rights". Surely you see the difference.
    Of course not every Russian has that mentality. I'm just saying I don't see what's surprising about finding one that does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Mellor wrote: »
    A generalisation how?

Saying "it's not something associated with" isn't the same as saying "all Russians ignore human rights". Surely you see the difference.
    Of course not every Russian has that mentality. I'm just saying I don't see what's surprising about finding one that does.

I think he's just pulling you up on the bear bit, I know Khabib and his team have little respect for bears though

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

A slight generalisation there.
    A generalisation how?

You said "Russia and its surroundings". By definition, that infers the country and its people, i.e. it's the norm.

I would imagine that the number of Russians with that mentality is absolutely miniscule.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Homeless dude gets some exercise and some cash, whats the issue??

Edit: Don't shows like Operation transformation and The Biggest Loser et al have a financial incentive??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Homeless dude gets some exercise and some cash, whats the issue??

Edit: Don't shows like Operation transformation and The Biggest Loser et al have a financial incentive??

Are you for real? People liv8ng in the streets are desperate, they will do anything for money, remember 'bum fights' and there are videos of homeless people drinking piss for money. Belittling somebody in that way is scummy full stop and is in no way comparable to operation transformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not sure what background you mean. But Russia and it's surroundings are aren't exactly know for valuing human life. Or bears for that matter.

Just meant that he wasnt born with a silver spoon in his mouth and that usually that situation gives you humility when you do make it rich, i.e. you dont forget where you came from and you dont look down on others. Only a scumbag would get amusement at humiliating those less fortunate than them and clearly Khabib was plenty amused at the homeless guy. He might be talented but he certainly lacks any kind of class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Not a great image for Khabib.

Its mad i just finished watch the Dagestan chronicles which is a 7 part YouTube series following Khabib in his homeland earlier this year and this summer.

A great watch and i really got the impression he was a humble guy from it but that video of the homeless person paints a different picture

I've always thought it's creepy as &%^$ that I've never once seen a woman in any of his 'chronicles' or posts or promos. Even when touring his home village in Dagestan - all boys and men. The "wimmin folk" all hidden away, never at any of the meals, (even in their homes), never even seen or mentioned*. Even the little girls. I'm guessing they're not training or working on their standup or at school.

*Khabib did once refer to his wife: she was giving birth and his comment was pretty obnoxious and along the lines of shure what's would I be doing there, that's her thing and I'm busy training.

• Advertisement

Lads..if McGregor was doing it ye'd all think it was hilarious..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Keepaneye wrote: »
    Can only imagine the faux outrage from the usual basement dwellers if mcgregor was caught doing this.

Can everyone please thank Keepaneye's post, he's trying really hard and it would mean the world to him.

Mod: Grow up a bit and drop the nonsense..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Haha never a truer word said

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not at all I think most decent people would call him out on it. Just coz your famous and rich doesnt entitle you to make little of others, it doesnt matter who you are. Humiliating those on the bottom rung of the ladder is a scummy thing to do and its not surprising there is widespread condemnation of Khabib on Twitter over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Pretty ****ty thing for Khabib and his mates to be doing to homeless guys.

It can be said that it is only push-ups and the guys will be happy to get some money, but it is more the control and coercion due to having the money they need.

It was similar thinking which led to the more sinister "bum fights," and in my opinion shows a lack of empathy for those less fortunate. Although as mentioned earlier, prizefighters will rarely make good role models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Conor has his flaws but i don't remember him ever belittling people less fortunate than him.

Conor on the topic of homelessness in comparison to Khabib, lets just say its night and day

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2579827-conor-mcgregor-makes-eur50000-donation-to-fight-homeless-crisis-in-ireland

https://twitter.com/thenotoriousmma/status/338069725399625728?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Whats the problem ?

Khabib will be doing a pushup with his nose on oct 6 for money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Hazys wrote: »
    Conor has his flaws but i don't remember him ever belittling people less fortunate than him.

Conor on the topic of homelessness in comparison to Khabib, lets just say its night and day

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2579827-conor-mcgregor-makes-eur50000-donation-to-fight-homeless-crisis-in-ireland

https://twitter.com/thenotoriousmma/status/338069725399625728?lang=en

Ah hang on now, isn't Conor's whole schtick now that he is minted, and people fighting him get the red pantie night?

(I haven't seen the Khabib video yet, so can't comment on it yet. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I just seen the video from the previous page there. Khabib isn’t in it. How does anyone know that it’s him laughing in the background??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I just seen the video from the previous page there. Khabib isn’t in it. How does anyone know that it’s him laughing in the background??

Pretty sure it was Khabibs own snapchat.

• Advertisement

People throw out the 2 million number a bit too quickly for my liking. It's a huge number. Hopefully the UFC have realised that stacking title fights on a card, especially a McGregor card doesn't translate to ppv buys. I'd suspect they were surprised and disappointed at 205 "only" doing 1.3m or what ever it was

As stated, streaming has only got better and more reliable, especially premium streaming through IPTV services. I live in Spain and the last time I paid money to the UFC or BT was for 194 before I figured out my setup over here. These days I can watch my stream in 1080p with absolute certainty that it's not going to go down.

I'll have a guess at it landing somewhere between 202 and 205. Maybe 1.5m.
    I fully agree, also what stopped me from giving the UFC money was when they moved to BT and actually blocked me from buying their PPVs within Ireland ( I used to buy every single one for 25 euro).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭cletus

I fully agree, also what stopped me from giving the UFC money was when they moved to BT and actually blocked me from buying their PPVs within Ireland ( I used to buy every single one for 25 euro).

Funny, I was just on Fight Pass, and 227 is currently available to buy for €25 in SD or €30 in HD. Normally it shows as blacked out. The tie cutting with BT appears to have begun

cletus wrote: »
    Funny, I was just on Fight Pass, and 227 is currently available to buy for €25 in SD or €30 in HD. Normally it shows as blacked out. The tie cutting with BT appears to have begun

I actually pay for fight pass because it was worth the money. You'd get all the Prelims and fight nights for 7.99 a month or whatever, not bad value.....

The BT deal imo made fight pass not worth paying for and without a VPN you couldn't buy PPVs. Since the BT deal I have went the way of IPTV and I don't think I'll be changing back now, quality is awesome and its reliable, except for the Khabib V Mcgregs PPV I think that PPV will crash IPTV :pac: So I'll pay for that one.

cletus wrote: »

BUJcsqb.png
    UFC 228 isn't available for Purchase yet so for now the BT deal is still going strong. Apparently UFC will allow you to buy the PPV in Ireland a day or two after the event is aired on live, sure what good is that? ;)

Looks like I won't even have the option to purchase the Conor v Khabib fight legit..... ah well :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Khabib really made that guy humble.

Makes Dolly McGregor look like a saint.

Khabib really made that guy humble.

Makes Dolly McGregor look like a saint.

:confused::confused:

Anyone have any predictions what might else be on the card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

dulux99 wrote: »
    Anyone have any predictions what might else be on the card?

Heard Sean O Malley will be on it. He mentioned it on Rogans podcast.

ricero wrote: »
    Heard Sean O Malley will be on it. He mentioned it on Rogans podcast.

Hopefully Sugar Sean is exciting as fcuk to watch. I hope they don't do something stupid though and match him against someone way higher up in the rankings than him, they should build him slowly and let him grow.

• Advertisement

I said it in another thread but I really really hope that Holloway might be ready for it, to fight Ortega. I'm paying a sh*t load of money to go over and want a bit of bang for my buck and Sean O'Malley in the co main would be a bit disappointing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement