Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Ortega is one of my favourite fighters at the moment, I'd love to see him v Holloway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

dulux99 wrote: »
    Anyone have any predictions what might else be on the card?
    According to the 229 wiki page these 2 fights are on the card

Flyweight bout: Jussier Formiga vs. Sergio Pettis

Women's Bantamweight bout: Yana Kunitskaya vs. Lina Länsberg

I'd expect Artem to be on it too, maybe against this drug cheat teammate of Khabib's who challenged him https://www.instagram.com/p/BmCT_fmACXg/?taken-by=ramzaan.95

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I said it in another thread but I really really hope that Holloway might be ready for it, to fight Ortega. I'm paying a sh*t load of money to go over and want a bit of bang for my buck and Sean O'Malley in the co main would be a bit disappointing.

That'll be a good scrap, but I hope Holloway takes all the time he needs, and doesn't rush past getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

If only the UFC had the 228 event sorted sooner, imagine a world where Woodley vs Till served as the co main. You can be sure there would be a sh*t load of scousers make the trip, it would have made for probably the best atmosphere available. Real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They won't put another high profile fight on this card. It's the McGregor show and he'll be taking the ppv points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Very little excitement about this so far.
    How much are the champion and the challenger being paid?

rob316 wrote: »
    They won't put another high profile fight on this card. It's the McGregor show and he'll be taking the ppv points.

I wouldn't be so sure. Of all his big fights there's only been once when they didn't have a really solid Co main and that was 202 when it was Texiera vs Rumble.

205 - Woodley vs Thompson
    196 - Tate vs Holm
    194 - Weidman v Rockhold
    189 - Lawler vs MacDonald

But tbh if its not Holloway vs Ortega then I don't know what it can be. :(

Very little excitement about this so far.
    How much are the champion and the challenger being paid?

Very little excitement for McGregor vs Khabib? Check your pulse man. If this doesn't get you excited then nothing will.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

I wouldn't be so sure. Of all his big fights there's only been once when they didn't have a really solid Co main and that was 202 when it was Texiera vs Rumble.

196 - Tate vs Holm
    194 - Weidman v Rockhold

Well I got criticised for pointing it out earlier, but these fights where on McGregors old deal. So he got his PPV points but the scale will have been similar to other UFC champions and was signed before he became a true megastar.

Now he's in a different ball park and from what I've read he'll be getting much more $ per PPV sold than before (rather than sharing this with Holm/Weidman/Woodley)

So card wise im expecting prospects and maybe some cheaper lower weightclass fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

One I'm hoping for is Rose v Mackenzie Dern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

rob316 wrote: »

196 - Tate vs Holm
    194 - Weidman v Rockhold

...and 202 is the biggest selling UFC PPV of all time
    One I'm hoping for is Rose v Mackenzie Dern.

Not a mission of that happening. Dern is nowhere near challenging for a title at the minute. Rose would maul her, if she even managed to get her fat ass down to 115 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

See joseph benevidez v ray borg is scheduled for 229

Not on wiki yet but on alot of other sites

Thought conor not meant to be at their place of work ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

He is barred from contact with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Derrick Lewis against Volkov being finalized as the co-main.

Its gonna be a one big fight card.

I remember Dana's criticism of boxing not loading their cards.

Pretty poor for the gate and PPV revenue they'll gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

How long are the aforementioned protection orders going to last? Surely they don't mean he's banned from sharing cards with certain fighters indefinitely?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You said "Russia and its surroundings". By definition, that infers the country and its people, i.e. it's the norm.

I would imagine that the number of Russians with that mentality is absolutely miniscule.

I said, that they are not know for human rights, that doesn't mean every single Russian feels that way? Just that its not something, that that part of the world is known for. Are your actually arguing that Russia is know for human rights. :confused:

I think you'd be surprised how many Russians follow the official line on rights and such. (Gay rights is the obvious example these days).
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just meant that he wasnt born with a silver spoon in his mouth and that usually that situation gives you humility when you do make it rich, i.e. you dont forget where you came from and you dont look down on others. Only a scumbag would get amusement at humiliating those less fortunate than them and clearly Khabib was plenty amused at the homeless guy. He might be talented but he certainly lacks any kind of class.
    I'd no prior knowledge of Khabib's stance on homelessness, rights, etc. (Generally I think people read too much into his Kadarov link). But I just meant I wasn't surprised to learn somebody from that part of the world, might act like that.
    One of my training partners is Russian, sound bloke but absolutely brainwashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭creeper1

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Pretty ****ty thing for Khabib and his mates to be doing to homeless guys.

It can be said that it is only push-ups and the guys will be happy to get some money, but it is more the control and coercion due to having the money they need.

It was similar thinking which led to the more sinister "bum fights," .

Yeah. Certainly if you were offering money to two guys who had nothing against each other to fight for money it would be morally troubling.

Oh wait...............................!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭cletus

creeper1 wrote: »
    Yeah. Certainly if you were offering money to two guys who had nothing against each other to fight for money it would be morally troubling.

Oh wait...............................!

Are you being facetious here, or are you genuinely drawing a comparison between professional athletes and bum fights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Derrick Lewis against Volkov being finalized as the co-main.

Its gonna be a one big fight card.

I remember Dana's criticism of boxing not loading their cards.

Pretty poor for the gate and PPV revenue they'll gain.

Love it, must go to popeyes after the fight to see Derrick post fight meal assuming he aint going to hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

UFC said the Borg fight move has nothing to do with Conor, they just prefer it on November card. Also Ray tweeted saying he had nothing to do with the protection order, that it's court ordered. Poor fella must be getting his head melted by fanboys.

It's long rumoured that Conor doesn't want people with ppv points on his cards. Woodley was one guy who said it, and Conor has also alluded to it. They all beg Dana to get on Conors cards, he promotes the hell out of the card and then these fighters who he doesn't even know (some of whom publicly disrespect him) make way more money than normal.

We don't know exactly who is on PPV points and not (except the ones who say it in interviews - DC, DJ etc) but it's usually champions and big names. The card might not be that stacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Best of the rest would be fine, happy with proposed main event. Would be nice to see Gunni open main card, looks like Artem will be on it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Pettis posted on his instagram who'd be ready for Oct 6th. Kevin Lee replied wouldn't mind that been made depending on which Pettis showed up.

And? They still followed up mcgregors next fight with a blockbuster card. Maybe their best card ever on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

And? They still followed up mcgregors next fight with a blockbuster card. Maybe their best card ever on paper.
    And...the point is that having a blockbuster card alongside McGregor doesn't necessarily lead to higher PPV sales.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Lads I have some questions about going to Vegas to be there during the fight.

Use the sticky at the top of the forum

And...the point is that having a blockbuster card alongside McGregor doesn't necessarily lead to higher PPV sales.

But I never said that stacked cards equal big buy rates, as I know that's not the case. Stacked cards equal happy fans going to the event, thats all I was saying, and I wanted to be one. The times I've been to Vegas I've been blessed with absolute blockbuster cards but it doesn't look like I'll be as lucky this time.

• Advertisement

Kevin Lee and Pettis would be smart getting on this card just in case someone from the main event falls out for whatever reason.

You'd think Poirer or Nate would be considered with their fight nearby as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement