Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

And...the point is that having a blockbuster card alongside McGregor doesn't necessarily lead to higher PPV sales.

They won't be loading up the entire card. That will be saved for MSG and NYE.
    But they'll still put out a decent main card.

My guess that they'll book some exciting fighters who will be potential title contenders, but aren't yet PPV cutters. That's what I'd do, they know the PPV will do 1.6-1.8m buys. Plus a lot of casuals in bars watching the fight. Makes sense to capitalise on the increased number of people watch my hyping the up and comers.

Fights like;
    Renato Moicano v Chad Mendes
    Kevin Lee v Anthony Pettis
    Gunnar Nelson v Leon Edwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Ryan LaFlare vs. Tony Martin at welterweight is the 5th fight to be announced for the card now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Heard a clip last night of Ali going mad because kavnagh insulted the prophet Mohammad on social media. Made Khabib very angry. Anyone know what he said?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Heard a clip last night of Ali going mad because kavnagh insulted the prophet Mohammad on social media. Made Khabib very angry. Anyone know what he said?

"Jesus loves knockouts, but Mohammed wasn't a fan of summertime MMA

-choose your religion wisely young MMA fighters"

It was around the time when RDA was champ, and Khabib was on a tear, but wanted RDA to wait 4 months to fight him so he could do camp after Ramadan.

It was innocent enough, but free speech be damned, you can't make jokes about certain religions.

I don't get why MMA fighters don't get a pass on Ramadan like other Muslim athletes.

Lukker- wrote: »
    "Jesus loves knockouts, but Mohammed wasn't a fan of summertime MMA

-choose your religion wisely young MMA fighters"

It was around the time when RDA was champ, and Khabib was on a tear, but wanted RDA to wait 4 months to fight him so he could do camp after Ramadan.

It was innocent enough, but free speech be damned, you can't make jokes about certain religions.

I don't get why MMA fighters don't get a pass on Ramadan like other Muslim athletes.

If people get offended easily f**k them. I think people should be able to ridicule Islam as much as they would Christianity, Judaism etc etc.

Are people really not supposed to not criticise/joke about the Islam religion out of fear?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jasus the rest of the card which is rumored so far is the drizzling ****s

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

ricero wrote: »
    Jasus the rest of the card which is rumored so far is the drizzling ****s

Can someone post the fights that are rumoured? Haven't seen much myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I'm quite deflated about the card truth be told. The UFC are putting alot of faith in Khabib, a notorious pull out artist, staying fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Lewis vs Volkov has the potential to be a great HW fight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »

Other athletes don't get a special pass, they just choose not to do it. Same option exists for fighters. Khabib has fought during Ramadan before.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

Updated undercard as per Las Vegas Review Journal:

Light Heavyweight bout: Ovince Saint Preux[7] vs. Dominick Reyes
    Flyweight bout: Jussier Formiga vs. Sergio Pettis[13]
    Women's Bantamweight bout: Yana Kunitskaya vs. Lina Länsberg[14]
    Welterweight bout: Tony Martin vs. Ryan LaFlare[15]
    Heavyweight bout: Alexander Volkov vs. Derrick Lewis[16]
    Women's Strawweight bout: Michelle Waterson vs. Felice Herrig

Lewis vs Volkov has the potential to be a great HW fight

I'll probably end up dropping well over a grand for two tickets, the ufc was always worth the money because of the juicy undercard but I feel like I'm paying for a boxing event with this one.

dulux99 wrote: »
    I'll probably end up dropping well over a grand for two tickets, the ufc was always worth the money because of the juicy undercard but I feel like I'm paying for a boxing event with this one.

****ty looking cards turn out to be the best ones more often than not you might get lucky. Big names don't mean good fights

****ty looking cards turn out to be the best ones more often than not you might get lucky. Big names don't mean good fights

No offence to you but I've always hated that sh*te that Dana spouts. You go down to the local GAA Hall and see cracking muay Thai fights every few months of course but I'd still prefer to go to a top level UFC event. I just feel a bit f*cked off that I'll be paying more for a Lewis vs Volkoff Co main event than I did for Weidman v Rockhold and Lawler vs Mcdonald.

Dana always says "judge the card after the fights have happened" but only ever uses that rhetoric when the card is crap. You don't hear him saying it when the card is stacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

So felice herrig v karate momma on same card as conor

Only a few days ago felice was slating ufc for not punishing conor , i think he should insist she is not on the card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Only a few days ago felice was slating ufc for not punishing conor , i think he should insist she is not on the card
    If every fighter that slated Conor was taken off his cards then all his cards would consist solely of Conor fighting himself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I remember dana going on bout that years ago, saying if main event fell apart any fight could be main event, which tbf was true. If this event falls apart the card is ****ed. Imagine paying 3k or more for week in vegas for this card nd main event is pulled. They need a big name co main just incase

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭xtal191

dave1982 wrote: »
    I remember dana going on bout that years ago, saying if main event fell apart any fight could be main event, which tbf was true. If this event falls apart the card is ****ed. Imagine paying 3k or more for week in vegas for this card nd main event is pulled. They need a big name co main just incase

I doubt Dana/WME-IMG give a toss about how much people are paying to go over. It's looking like its gonna be a very poor card though especially if the rumored co main is Lewis vs Volkov. Unfortunately the people looking to go over cant exactly wait for the whole card to be announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

xtal191 wrote: »
    I doubt Dana/WME-IMG give a toss about how much people are paying to go over. It's looking like its gonna be a very poor card though especially if the rumored co main is Lewis vs Volkov. Unfortunately the people looking to go over cant exactly wait for the whole card to be announced.

Lewis fighting again with the perennial back injury :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Question - is it the NASC that states championship weight must be made for belt to be in contention? Wondering what would happen to fight if Khabib missed. Getting comfortable with my tinfoil hat on here...

There's no way McG would decline fight if Khabib missed weight - belt or no belt. And yes it'd hit Khabib in the pocket somewhat, but missing weight by a couple of pounds would equate to a serious advantage come fight night, one that would play to his strong-suit...

Ok, hat off...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Question - is it the NASC that states championship weight must be made for belt to be in contention? Wondering what would happen to fight if Khabib missed. Getting comfortable with my tinfoil hat on here...

There's no way McG would decline fight if Khabib missed weight - belt or no belt. And yes it'd hit Khabib in the pocket somewhat, but missing weight by a couple of pounds would equate to a serious advantage come fight night, one that would play to his strong-suit...

Ok, hat off...

Don't know the answer to the question but don't think it matters to be honest. Belts mean little these days. The fight is officially for the title but really it's about the two best lightweights in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Ok, hat off...

If Khabib misses weight the belt is still on the line but he will be hit in the pocket. If McGregor misses weight then no belt on the line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

He probably couldn't pick her out of a lineup, let alone care what she thinks of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

, i think he should insist she is not on the card

It's not his card the UFC decides whose on it not any fighter

Nate and Dustin are surely potential stand-ins. I know their fights are several weeks later but Nate has been begging to fight Conor and Dustin is not far from a title shot. I think if Conor or (more likely) Khabib pull out, UFC has these guys pegged to step in.

Question - is it the NASC that states championship weight must be made for belt to be in contention?

Technically they do state that. But it's an hollow stipulation. The NSAC don't sanction the title. In the same way that WBO/WBA etc actually dictate the ins and out of boxing titles.
    If Khabib misses weight, the NSAC fines him, and the UFC still puts his title on the line. Conor misses weight, and it's not a title fight.
    Don't know the answer to the question but don't think it matters to be honest. Belts mean little these days. The fight is officially for the title but really it's about the two best lightweights in the world.

That's true in a sense. Titles have been diminished shed in recent years. The real story is Conor v Khabib. But in saying that, the title isn't meaningless. If Conor misses weight, but knocks him out. It takes a bit of a shine off the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Conor def has a say

• Advertisement

Ha. I guarantee if Conor did or didn't want someone on the card, Dana will make it happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement