Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Mellor wrote: »
    That's true in a sense. Titles have been diminished shed in recent years. The real story is Conor v Khabib. But in saying that, the title isn't meaningless. If Conor misses weight, but knocks him out. It takes a bit of a shine off the moment.

Yeah but to me that would be purely down to the missing weight aspect (assuming Khabib made weight of course) rather than the title not being on the line as a result of said missing weight, if you know what I mean.

McGregor is the lineal champ but took two years off with no indication of what his plans were. Khabib can reasonably be considered the best in the interim , perhaps along with Ferguson, so I don't hate his belt as much as some other interim ones. Whoever wins is, in my book, the best and the champ regardless of whether Dana walks up and pins a belt to them afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Yeah but to me that would be purely down to the missing weight aspect (assuming Khabib made weight of course) rather than the title not being on the line as a result of said missing weight, if you know what I mean.

McGregor is the lineal champ but took two years off with no indication of what his plans were. Khabib can reasonably be considered the best in the interim , perhaps along with Ferguson, so I don't hate his belt as much as some other interim ones. Whoever wins is, in my book, the best and the champ regardless of whether Dana walks up and pins a belt to them afterwards.

I suppose I was playing devil's advocate and posing the question 'is missing weight potentially advantageous versus the penalties/ inquisition it incurs?'

Disadvanatges
    - financial
    - perceived illegitimacy
    - Non-title

Advanatges
    - statistical win outcome
    - likely remain in title contention nevertheless (if win)
    - Can negate any immediate financial penalties eventually through points 1 and 2

All that said, I'm sure Khabib feels he doesn't need any extra lb's to get McG down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

No one is going to aim to miss weight

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Was hoping Gunni might get added to the card. Wont he be back by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

It's not his card the UFC decides whose on it not any fighter

Ha. I guarantee if Conor did or didn't want someone on the card, Dana will make it happen.

He got 3-1 Charlie Ward 2 UFC fights ffs.

While Conor isn't Mayweather levels of control of the card, the undercard budget is determined by him. For the revenues this is gonna bring, you'd want at least fighters you're interested in.

Israel Adesanya*, Costa* and O'Malley should be on here (similar to how they had cody on a Conor card) to raise their profile

* Know they're booked a month later. But superstar potential type fighters

• Advertisement

No one is going to aim to miss weight

Pretty sure Scott Quigg and Danny Jacobs have done this tactically in boxing. Not beyond the realms of possibility.

It's more not sapping energy than any weight advantage in the cage with MMA though.

And yeah Gunni in a decent fight would be a good idea. He's been so inactive

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

Ticket prices for 229 have just been reported. Tickets priced at $200, $250, $300, $350, $400, $550, $750, $1000, $1500, $2000 and $2500

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Pretty sure Scott Quigg and Danny Jacobs have done this tactically in boxing. Not beyond the realms of possibility.

It's more not sapping energy than any weight advantage in the cage with MMA though.

And yeah Gunni in a decent fight would be a good idea. He's been so inactive

Is gunni even linked to sbg anymore? I know he mainly only went there when preparing for a fight but you'd usually see the other sbg lads travel to Iceland etc, haven't seen any of that in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I see Lina Lansberg is fighting. I’ll tune in so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Very interesting. A Dutch McGregor clothes brand has won a court case against Adidas where Reebok McGregor clothes have to be removed from shelves across Europe. The Dutch brand who have McGregor TM on clothes worry that people will think the Reebok McGregor gear will be mistaken for theirs.

Dutch McGregor, who da **** is dat guy.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mcgregor-loses-his-shirt-in-bout-with-mcgregor-861525.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Very interesting. A Dutch McGregor clothes brand has won a court case against Adidas where Reebok McGregor clothes have to be removed from shelves across Europe. The Dutch brand who have McGregor TM on clothes worry that people will think the Reebok McGregor gear will be mistaken for theirs.

Dutch McGregor, who da **** is dat guy.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mcgregor-loses-his-shirt-in-bout-with-mcgregor-861525.html

I wouldn't have thought you could trademark a name or surname in that way, but there you go.

He can always make "Notorious" clothes in the meantime, which I would have thought would be more popular anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Paully D wrote: »

If you look at his twitter he is still like a lunatic arguing with people about it. He's an embarrassing man. Like a psychotic ex girlfriend

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Paulie argues with people full stop, he was very outspoken about everything when he fought.

He's actually a pretty good boxing analyst

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Sean O'Malley Vs. Alejandro Pérez @ 229.

https://twitter.com/SugaSeanMMA/status/1028769766159183872

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

what irish time wed are tickets on sale ?

it says 10 am pt online ? 3pm irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

sc86 wrote: »
    what irish time wed are tickets on sale ?

it says 10 am pt online ? 3pm irish?

Pacific time is 8 hours behind Ireland.

thanks mate!

5pm it is

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

sc86 wrote: »
    thanks mate!

5pm it is

Wouldn't it be 6pm Irish time?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Yup its 6pm Irish time - not 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

5pm it is so

just testing you ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

No presser planned before tickets go on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Anyone with a spare fight club pass happy to sort out a tshirt or fight programme in return.

dave1982 wrote: »
    No presser planned before tickets go on sale?

Wonder if media plans are determined by the way ticket sales pan out.

McGregors last two vegas fights didn't sell out, however both Diaz 2 and imparticular Mayweather had high ticket prices.

Would like at least one presser before fight week presser

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Can't wait to see this fight,
    I don't think we know how good Khabib is and no idea what Conor being working on in the last 2 years if anything,
    Strangely Khabib take down accuracy is on;y 45 % is that enough to win against Conor ?
    He won't want to try over and over again with Conor's power,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Wonder if media plans are determined by the way ticket sales pan out.

McGregors last two vegas fights didn't sell out, however both Diaz 2 and imparticular Mayweather had high ticket prices.

Would like at least one presser before fight week presser
    I thought they used always do presser before release of ticket sales...maybe they confident they dont need one until fight week

dave1982 wrote: »
    I thought they used always do presser before release of ticket sales...maybe they confident they dont need one until fight week
    Conor is known to have pushed for less transatlantic interruptions to his fight camp. It's a big chunk out of your time to fly over and back.

Presser will be required for ppv sales and finish off venue sales for the higher price tickets. Hopefully quiet this week until we get sorted

• Advertisement

Conor is known to have pushed for less transatlantic interruptions to his fight camp. It's a big chunk out of your time to fly over and back.

They will be going to vegas soon according to interview with roddy last week. He will do some then

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement