Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Putting my matchmaker hat on, I'd love to see Aldo go upto 155 to fight pettis on this card. His last weight cut for the Stephens fight was apparently horrific and he's got alot of miles on the clock, it's time to move up. Finish out the card with Lee vs Iaquinta and all of a sudden its a banger of an event. A boy can dream eh

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's the same every time he fights, apart from the first Diaz fight ironically enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

It's the same every time he fights, apart from the first Diaz fight ironically enough.

It's a who's who really in as far as the usual mma mouthpieces.

Interestingly, the narrative is exactly the same - Conor overwhelmed in clinch/ out-wrestled/ has puncher's chance/ has poor cardio/ at size disadvantage etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I do wonder, if he beats Khabib, what else can people say. Probably that Khabib record is padded and he would never beat Tony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

I do wonder, if he beats Khabib, what else can people say. Probably that Khabib record is padded and he would never beat Tony.

Exactly that. He's beaten RDA before he was RDA and Barboza whos never beaten a top 5 fighter. He won the belt off Ragin Al ffs. He fought emotional against Conor, the weight cut etc.

Conor starches Khabib and he's in the GOAT conversation IMO. He's fringes now.

Khabibs take downs aren't high percentage but when he gets them you stay down. Its just does Conor land when he comes in and does what lands effect Khabib like it did Eddie.

Haven't seen BT sport annouce this as a UK PPV - but GGG Canelo will be just before as BTs first forage into the market. As well as 2 other PPVs in September.

Gotta think Conor would sell better as a PPV if they're gonna do one, not that i wanna give them ideas. Even with the BT sport UFC deal coming to a close it makes them all money

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If he beats Khabib, after beating Chad and Eddie, the wrestling thing is put to bed.
    But it would quickly become;
    ...jiu jitsu is his achilles heel. He beat Aldo and Brandao, two black belts but both chose to strike. The first time he went against a black belt, who used jiu jitsu, he got choked. All his losses are submissions...
    This leads right into the Tony beats him narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Ticket day, if anyone has a presale code they willing to share happy to buy programme or tshirt etc as a thank you. Otherwise I'll buy one as part of the presale.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If he wins, people will talk up the next guy he hasn't beaten and so on and so on. And then, into his thirties, when he eventually loses to one of these guys it's "proof" that he was always overrated.

If he loses, then it's "proof" that he was always overrated.

I don't really doubt Khabib as his toughest challenge to date and I think you have to wonder about the effect of the last two years. All that money and fame and unnecessary distraction. I seriously doubt he's been training to the level of intensity the past two years that he was the previous two years. But the last thing I'd be doing is underestimating him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I think it very well could go like the Alvarez fight. Khabib might be very surprised with the power and accuracy McGregor has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Don't even think it will be close, McGregor will light him up fast and early I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

If I was Khabib I’d be getting Conor down ASAP and twisting the crap out of his left arm like he did to Johnson and take away his best weapon, easier said than done though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Khabib will fight smart and will not trade with Mcgregor. Reckon he gets a quick takedown and mauls Mcgregor. Mcgregor gases and its rinse and repeat for 5 rounds.

Perhaps maybe Khabib wins earlier from a submisson.

All Khabib needs is one takedown and its over i feel.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Auroras_encore

won't even be a contest khabib is that slow hell be put to sleep in the first and Im no mcgregor fan by any means

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

ricero wrote: »
    Khabib will fight smart and will not trade with Mcgregor. Reckon he gets a quick takedown and mauls Mcgregor. Mcgregor gases and its rinse and repeat for 5 rounds.

Khabib rarely finishes people on the ground. I think that will be pivotal unless Conor arms go dead from trying to get up. I can see Khabib taking Conor down in Round 1 and being stiffed in the 2nd when Conor has his distanced figured. If he fights the way he did against Al, he gets flatlined in the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭rob316

To do a take down if you need to come into McGregors range, Khabib won't have faced a striker with his timing and accuracy yet.

If Khabib had fought and beaten Tony, I'd say ya Conor has got a tough match up but Khabib hasn't really beat anyone close to McGregor level so its a bit of an unkown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Khabib rarely finishes people on the ground. I think that will be pivotal unless Conor arms go dead from trying to get up. I can see Khabib taking Conor down in Round 1 and being stiffed in the 2nd when Conor has his distanced figured. If he fights the way he did against Al, he gets flatlined in the first.

I see people using this a lot when criticizing Khabib.

He ****ing played with Al for 5 rounds :pac: That was not Khabib at 100 or even 80 per cent i feel against Iaquinta

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Inviere

ASOT wrote: »

That guy is a pure knob, painful stuff to listen to. That whole Mayweather/McGregor circus needs to be erased from history

• Registered Users Posts: 24,630 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

rob316 wrote: »
    To do a take down if you need to come into McGregors range, Khabib won't have faced a striker with his timing and accuracy yet.

If Khabib had fought and beaten Tony, I'd say ya Conor has got a tough match up but Khabib hasn't really beat anyone close to McGregor level so its a bit of an unkown.

And similarly, McGregor hasn't fought anyone like Khabib.

Both Mendez and Nate went inside his range and didn't get dropped doing it.
    People are painting it to be as binary as if Khabib gets inside, it's game over or if Khabib tries to get in, he'll be starched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Both Mendez and Nate went inside his range and didn't get dropped doing it.
    People are painting it to be as binary as if Khabib gets inside, it's game over or if Khabib tries to get in, he'll be starched.

Yes they did. Multiple times for Nate and fight-ending for Chad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,630 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Yes they did. Multiple times for Nate and fight-ending for Chad.

You're forgetting the bit about Chad having him on the ground before that.

Point is, they got in for takedown attempts without being KO'd. It's not a given that Khabib gets KO'd if he goes for it. It's a risk and McGregor could also stuff the attempt.

So it's not a 1 or 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

And he probably won't. Will believe this fight is happening when I see Khabib in the Octagon.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

This fight is pretty much impossible to call.

People say the fight starts standing up, by that can change very quickly.
    What happens on the ground can happen or change very quickly as well.

This will be down to one of the 2 making a mistake or not being properly prepared.

It's an interesting match up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    This will be down to one of the 2 making a mistake or not being properly prepared.

And let's not forget talent, hard work, skill, being better on the night, a perfectly timed reaction or just getting the read on your opponents timing first.

I hear this a lot (particularly in team sports) X team just didn't turn up, X team were awful tonight. People are always quick to jump on the negative when maybe Y team just out-thought their opponents and nullified their game plan.

Most fights are not won by the opponent making a mistake or being unprepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I see people using this a lot when criticizing Khabib.

He ****ing played with Al for 5 rounds :pac: That was not Khabib at 100 or even 80 per cent i feel against Iaquinta

I also see this opinion posted a lot.

IMO, Khabib's a professional fighter. They want to be in and out as quickly as possible. One big shot from Iaquinta and it's over. Khabib fought like that because he had to. He couldn't land the takedown and would have gassed out shooting.

He pieced him up with his jab, but Iaquinta was willing to eat shots to avoid the takedown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Whelo79 wrote: »
    And let's not forget talent, hard work, skill, being better on the night, a perfectly timed reaction or just getting the read on your opponents timing first.

I hear this a lot (particularly in team sports) X team just didn't turn up, X team were awful tonight. People are always quick to jump on the negative when maybe Y team just out-thought their opponents and nullified their game plan.

Most fights are not won by the opponent making a mistake or being unprepared.

The pressure of the occasion is also a factor related to what you've said. McGregor has an advantage there, he's faced Floyd in a huge fight, not to mention Aldo, Nate, Eddie etc. I don't think Khabib has faced that kind of intensity before in The Octagon. We'll see how he handles it.

A lot of people are taking confidence from Khabib’s last performance and right so, as he didn’t exactly tear through Iaquinta. But don’t forget he was scheduled to fight Ferguson, then a week before the fight it was Max, and then about 20 hours before the fight it changed a third time.

If you contrast his performance in that fight to his performance vs Barboza, someone he trained for throughout the camp, it’s night and day. There’s the obvious caveat that Barboza fight was 3 rounds, but he was genuinely terrifying in that fight.

Either way I give the edge to McGregor but it’s something to bare in mind, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

dulux99 wrote: »
    A lot of people are taking confidence from Khabib’s last performance and right so, as he didn’t exactly tear through Iaquinta. But don’t forget he was scheduled to fight Ferguson, then a week before the fight it was Max, and then about 20 hours before the fight it changed a third time.

If you contrast his performance in that fight to his performance vs Barboza, someone he trained for throughout the camp, it’s night and day. There’s the obvious caveat that Barboza fight was 3 rounds, but he was genuinely terrifying in that fight.

Each of those got easier though.
    Tony was the worst fight for him out of those three

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    dulux99 wrote: »

Each of those got easier though.
    Tony was the worst fight for him out of those three
    I don't disagree but I don't see what bearing that has on my point. The constant shift of opponent will have messed with him, no doubt about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement