Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭XsApollo

What Conor did to Alvarez was Unvelievable.
    I remember reading people complaining hat Rogan only goes mad on some fighters or something, but he was Gobsmacked at what he saw and was just a bit speechless.
    Alavarez is a hell of a better fighter than Khabib on his feet and How Conor took him apart was unreal.
    Khabib has to get him to the ground but he is going to get walloped trying to get him there.
    Conor is going to Connect and Connect easy.
    How Khabib tales it will decide the outcome of the fight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

XsApollo wrote: »
    What Conor did to Alvarez was Unvelievable.
    I remember reading people complaining hat Rogan only goes mad on some fighters or something, but he was Gobsmacked at what he saw and was just a bit speechless.
    Alavarez is a hell of a better fighter than Khabib on his feet and How Conor took him apart was unreal.
    Khabib has to get him to the ground but he is going to get walloped trying to get him there.
    Conor is going to Connect and Connect easy.
    How Khabib tales it will decide the outcome of the fight.

I didn't expect Alvarez to have much for McGregor on the feet, I know he bet RDA but his striking after he rocked RDA was poor. I was still expecting Alvarez to cause him trouble though. I couldn't believe it when I watched it. For such a high level fight, it was as one sided as you could get. McGregor made Alvarez look like a nobody. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Inviere

Eddie bottled it. He's a better fighter than what he showed that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Inviere wrote: »
    He said himself that he had a plan, which went out the window as soon as McGregor hit him

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

He didn't bottle it.

He got rocked by the very first shot that landed and it threw him completely. He was circling into McGregors left hand after that first shot.

The kicks to Conors lead leg are something that could be used to debilitate him, don't see Khabib doing that though.

Its such an intriguing fight and all the theatrics before will be fantastic.

Khabib lands a takedown and he'll beat Conor up badly I'd expect - even the next round starting on the feet, he'll be so drained his punches has less power. But Khabibs chin is gonna need to be top end and we haven't really seen him face adversity either.

The Conor two years off with fine living inbetween does have me concerned. Even after the fight announced he was drinking alcohol. It's not like Khabib will beat him because of that one corona Conor had, but all little 1% factors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Is he though?

He’s a winging brawler who throws looping shots and doesn’t chain his striking and wrestling together with any smoothness. He’s good in a firefight against  the likes of Gaethje and Poirier. He was never going to stand a chance against McGregor. The disparity in the fight articulated the disparity between them as fighters, they’re on different levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

dulux99 wrote: »
    Is he though?

He’s a winging brawler who throws looping shots and doesn’t chain his striking and wrestling together with any smoothness. He’s good in a firefight against  the likes of Gaethje and Poirier. He was never going to stand a chance against McGregor. The disparity in the fight articulated the disparity between them as fighters, they’re on different levels.

He's got pretty good head movement for a wrestle-boxer, and while he takes shots in the pocket, he usually can mitigate it damage with rolling.

He also has the ability to wrestle**** opponents when needs be.

His problem is durability, although I think he's a technical fighter, he does like to give the fans what they want, and has gotten into his fair share of brawls. He had the chin to survive before, but I think it's caught up with him. Still no one has dismantled him like McGregor did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Eddie was kod with the first knockdown, but when he banged his head it looked like he woke back up. It was all downhill from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Khabib doesn't kick anyway good enough that it's something to worry about, his hands, head movement and feet are sloppy when he tries to box and he doesn't shoot from the outside. This is how Conor beats him, he's faster, got better movement and has far better hands. Conor doesn't need to kick in this, when it's standing making it a boxing match at range and make Khabib chase him.

Khabib doesn't have much of a shot from the outside he gets inside and when he can grabs a hold of his opponent, from here he strings take down attempt after take down attempt constantly changing what he's going for until he gets it because he does get it. His opponents can stop the first few (why his take down success rate is lowish) but his variety of take downs is what gets people. It's not just bam first time he grabs you he gets you down it's a grind and a constant battle as he keeps changing. He comes forward all the time, Conor needs to move, move and move some more and when Khabib gets in range he pays and you move.

Khabib has to get inside and I think he'll get hurt enough on the first few attempts that he'll get wild and get stopped end of the first/second.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Some jump for the high end seats. I always thought those high end ones would be given as freebies to celebs.

https://twitter.com/shaunalshatti/status/1029476626554179584?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Some jump for the high end seats. I always thought those high end ones would be given as freebies to celebs.

Hoping to get something $405 and down. Live in hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭robwen

Khabib sounds like another Ronda Rousey 😉

Zero-Cool wrote: »

It's pretty frustrating how we're paying UFC 205 prices but the rest of the card is like something from a Sunday night in South Dakota on FS1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It's pretty frustrating how we're paying UFC 205 prices but the rest of the card is like something from a Sunday night in South Dakota on FS1

The card is still being put together. The co-main is disappointing enough alright. But fights like Kevin Lee v Pettis should help fill out the main card with some good fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

Hopefully Khabib shoots early locks in and closes it out early. I can't see Conor surviving a round. Although if Khabib goes trading he will be slept.

I hope emotion doesn't allow him stand.

Hopefully Khabib shoots early locks in and closes it out early. I can't see Conor surviving a round. Although if Khabib goes trading he will be slept.

I hope emotion doesn't allow him stand.
    Iaquinta can last 5 but Conor cant last 1.

What's your rationale there?

Do you think Khabib approached fight night with Al same as he will with Conor?

Khabib will have one plan and that is to disable or restrict Conor's striking. No other fighter has the threat Conor does. So to roll with that plan he needs to maul him and tie him up I believe within 2 minutes he will of scored a takedown.

Khabib will have one plan and that is to disable or restrict Conor's striking. No other fighter has the threat Conor does. So to roll with that plan he needs to maul him and tie him up I believe within 2 minutes he will of scored a takedown.

Doesn’t really answer my question. His gameplan against Iaquinta in the first round was the same as it’ll be against McGregor – get him down and f*ck him up.

Khabib has had 10 fights in the UFC and has only finished someone in the first round once. Darrel Horcher got into the second round against him. But no, you’re right – McGregor hasn’t a hope of getting out of the first round.

Doesn’t really answer my question. His gameplan against Iaquinta in the first round was the same as it’ll be against McGregor – get him down and f*ck him up.

Khabib has had 10 fights in the UFC and has only finished someone in the first round once. Darrel Horcher got into the second round against him. But no, you’re right – McGregor hasn’t a hope of getting out of the first round.

Ok relax yourself and stop being a petulant child. I said I can't see, not that he hasn't a hope. Cop yourself on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

But no, you’re right – McGregor hasn’t a hope of getting out of the first round.

Guy expresses opinion. Next poster misconstrues it, deliberately or otherwise, and decides to get snarky about it.

Are you allowed to be of the opinion that Conor McGregor isn't invincible and the greatest thing since sliced bread on this forum?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Guy expresses opinion. Next poster misconstrues it, deliberately or otherwise, and decides to get snarky about it.

Are you allowed to be of the opinion that Conor McGregor isn't invincible and the greatest thing since sliced bread on this forum?!

The person wanders into the MMA forum and gave an opinion, was questioned on said opinion and given facts as to why they are likely wrong. What's the issue?

Bit of a grey area..

Whelo79 wrote: »
    The person wanders into the MMA forum and gave an opinion, was questioned on said opinion and given facts as to why they are likely wrong. What's the issue?

Why they are wrong hahaha? How the heck can you say they are likely wrong.

It's an opinion on how he believes the fight will go. You can engage them in debate and show them why you think they are wrong, sure. You can't misquote their opinion and shout at them simply because they happen to believe something different to you, whether you think it's misinformed or not.

The person wanders into the MMA forum

Oh and as for this sly bit of inexplicable wankery, it's an open forum, people can come and go as they please (or should be able to) without condescending arseholes coming along and sneering at them because they're not regular posters. It's an absolutely enormous fight. Perfectly natural that the appeal and interest would extend to those who aren't regular posters in the MMA forum.

I posed counter arguments to the guy who said conor hasn't a chance of surviving one round, and that equates to me saying conor mcgregor is invincible? Lol.

Oh and as for this sly bit of inexplicable wankery, it's an open forum, people can come and go as they please (or should be able to) without condescending arseholes coming along and sneering at them because they're not regular posters. It's an absolutely enormous fight. Perfectly natural that the appeal and interest would extend to those who aren't regular posters in the MMA forum.

I follow here regurlarly I don't post usually outside GAA , but I am a member of Fantom MMA I am not a blow in and have been around these circles for the best part of my life.

I posed counter arguments to the guy who said conor hasn't a chance of surviving one round, and that equates to me saying conor mcgregor is invincible? Lol.

Show me where I have said Conor hasn't a chance of surviving one round? Verbatim please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Khabib is not much of a finisher since he's been in the UFC, if he's to get a finish it would be late in fight from what we've seen of him. It's the accumulation of grappling and ground strikes that grind his opponents down that eventually he gets a finish/decision he's not some monster ground and pounder who'll do serious damage with a few shots.

Look at the guys he's finished Kamal Shalorus, Thiago Tavares, Darrell Horcher and Michael Johnson. Shalorus and Horcher just not high level fighters and Horcher was a late replacement. Tavares a solid fighter who's been around a long time but spent most of his career outside the top 15. Johnson the best guy he finished, had been in and around the top 15 a while and has some very good wins. Not a lot points to him blowing McGregor out of the water early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Don't pretend like people with little to no interest don't 'wander' into the MMA forum every time McGregor has a fight on the horizon to share their 2c and then disappear for another 6 months. The guy gave an opinion, got a counter argument and then accused the responder of being a 'petulant child'.

As for the rest of your post, you are the biggest snide and pompous poster on this forum so you may want to take a step back and self evaluate your own posting history before you accuse someone else of 'wankery'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement