Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Fromvert wrote: »
    Khabib doesn't kick anyway good enough that it's something to worry about, his hands, head movement and feet are sloppy when he tries to box and he doesn't shoot from the outside. This is how Conor beats him, he's faster, got better movement and has far better hands. Conor doesn't need to kick in this, when it's standing making it a boxing match at range and make Khabib chase him.

Khabib doesn't have much of a shot from the outside he gets inside and when he can grabs a hold of his opponent, from here he strings take down attempt after take down attempt constantly changing what he's going for until he gets it because he does get it. His opponents can stop the first few (why his take down success rate is lowish) but his variety of take downs is what gets people. It's not just bam first time he grabs you he gets you down it's a grind and a constant battle as he keeps changing. He comes forward all the time, Conor needs to move, move and move some more and when Khabib gets in range he pays and you move.

Khabib has to get inside and I think he'll get hurt enough on the first few attempts that he'll get wild and get stopped end of the first/second.

Agree with a lot of that but when you talk about Conor moving a lot I think things get tricky. Conor likes to walk forward and meet his opponent. He had to back up against Nate. Backing up is much more tiring but of course, Khabib is unlikely to have Nate's chin.

Conor has got to land on Khabib early and not let him walk forward like he wants to. That will save Conors cardio and have Khabib hesitating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Ush1 wrote: »
    Agree with a lot of that but when you talk about Conor moving a lot I think things get tricky. Conor likes to walk forward and meet his opponent. He had to back up against Nate. Backing up is much more tiring but of course, Khabib is unlikely to have Nate's chin.

Conor has got to land on Khabib early and not let him walk forward like he wants to. That will save Conors cardio and have Khabib hesitating.

Agree, it'll be tougher to keep moving (especially backwards as you said) as he likes going forward too. And as you said if he can hurt Khabib on those first few exchanges he'll have Khabib hesitating/going off game plan and can move forward but until then I'd like to see him on the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I rewatched Conor v Chad today and Chad was able to slip Conor's left occasionally and immediately close distance to get his takedowns. I think that is the big danger area for Conor but I do believe Khabib does not have the same head movement and is not as quick on his feet as Chad so that gives Conor the extra split second he needs to readjust his feet and defend or move out of the way. Khabib would definitely be significantly more powerful with the takedown attend though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I rewatched Conor v Chad today and Chad was able to slip Conor's left occasionally and immediately close distance to get his takedowns. I think that is the big danger area for Conor but I do believe Khabib does not have the same head movement and is not as quick on his feet as Chad so that gives Conor the extra split second he needs to readjust his feet and defend or move out of the way. Khabib would definitely be significantly more powerful with the takedown attend though.

Yeah Chad always had more of that GSP style explosive double. Khabib is more bodylocks, switching to singles, chain wrestling.

I also think McGregor looked really wrecked in that fight, whether it was the weight cut or knee issues, he looked very sluggish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Chad is an explosive wrestler where as Khabib chains attempts. His footwork and head movement are also terrible so I'd say Conor will have no trouble finding a target.

Also worth noting, Conor is very good at attacking while retreating.

Yeah Chad always had more of that GSP style explosive double. Khabib is more bodylocks, switching to singles, chain wrestling.

I also think McGregor looked really wrecked in that fight, whether it was the weight cut or knee issues, he looked very sluggish.

I agree, it was definitely the slowest he had looked in his UFC career. In my opinion i'd say it was predominantly down to the knee issue which I guess also had a knock on effect with his weight cut as he couldn't do his road work.

If Khabib gets him down it's going to be hard work, however when Chad had him down for a large portion of round 2 Conor got up and was fresh enough to get the finish with just 30 seconds left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I agree, it was definitely the slowest he had looked in his UFC career. In my opinion i'd say it was predominantly down to the knee issue which I guess also had a knock on effect with his weight cut as he couldn't do his road work.

If Khabib gets him down it's going to be hard work, however when Chad had him down for a large portion of round 2 Conor got up and was fresh enough to get the finish with just 30 seconds left.

He looked homeless walking into the octagon that night.

Drained.

Why they are wrong hahaha? How the heck can you say they are likely wrong.

Apologies, I should have said "given facts as to why they believe the poster is likely wrong"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Worth nothing khabib couldn’t finish gleison tibau and could have lost that fight , norman park took tibau the distance too and he ain’t on conor’s level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Worth nothing khabib couldn’t finish gleison tibau and could have lost that fight , norman park took tibau the distance too and he ain’t on conor’s level

We know all too well mma math doesn't work like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭xtal191

Yeah mma math is pointless you can do it for almost everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I'd love Conor to bring Mendes in for the camp - I think he'd be a super asset - I'm not familiar with danis' and how good he is but I really like mendes and want to see him around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hopefully Khabib shoots early locks in and closes it out early. I can't see Conor surviving a round. Although if Khabib goes trading he will be slept.

I hope emotion doesn't allow him stand.

It's an opinion on how he believes the fight will go. You can engage them in debate and show them why you think they are wrong, sure. You can't misquote their opinion and shout at them simply because they happen to believe something different to you, whether you think it's misinformed or not.
    I agree with the idea there. But I don't think it's people being snarky. It's the tone people are using in everything they say.
    I think that Khabib could possibly get Conor down and finish him in the first
    Is very different than
    I can't see Conor surviving a round.

The latter is the nonsense definitive language that everyone seems to be using. On both sides, don't mean to single out any one poster. Ten times a day somebody posts
    "Conor/Khabib hasn't a hope. Conor/Khabib will sleep/smash him in the first"
    Or some nonsense variation of it. It's facebook comment level of discussion, and tiresome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

dulux99 wrote: »
    Iaquinta can last 5 but Conor cant last 1.

What's your rationale there?

Khabib used the Iaquinta fight to get some stand up practice, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,774 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That fight was 6 years ago man. You can't be using that fight in this context anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Khabib trains full time. He spends hours and hours every month to practice, with better instruction than he received during the fight, and better partners than Al Iaquinta.
    I'm pretty sure his father said that if the fights goes into championship rounds, Khabib may be forced to stand up and exchange (takedowns and grappling are extremely exhausting). The whole "stand up practice" thing was only mentioned after the fight. I taking that at facevalue is a bit gullible.

It's like saying a striker on the bottom wants working on his guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Iaquinta can last 5 but Conor cant last 1.

What's your rationale there?

That's just not true and unrealistic. If Khabib had the opportunity and the skills to get Iaquinta out of there in the first round, he would have. He's just not the type to finish people in the first couple of rounds. He's a grinder and finishes guys by breaking them slowly, surely the proof is in the pudding. As I said earlier - he couldn't even finish Darrel Horcher in the first round. I don't know why people are debating this.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

Mellor wrote: »
    Khabib trains full time. He spends hours and hours every month to practice, with better instruction than he received during the fight, and better partners than Al Iaquinta.
    I'm pretty sure his father said that if the fights goes into championship rounds, Khabib may be forced to stand up and exchange (takedowns and grappling are extremely exhausting). The whole "stand up practice" thing was only mentioned after the fight. I taking that at facevalue is a bit gullible.

So outside you being a friend of Conor? Is your opinion ever gonna be non biased.

Mellor wrote: »

So outside you being a friend of Conor? Is your opinion ever gonna be non biased.
    How is his opinion biased? He stated well structured points backed up by facts. Your opinion that Conor won't last a round seems to be the one based on bias.

• Advertisement

How is his opinion biased? He stated well structured points backed up by facts. Your opinion that Conor won't last a round seems to be the one based on bias.

My opinion is just an opinion it's not fact, nor do I try to portray it as fact. Opinion everyone has one and is entitled to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

My opinion is just an opinion it's not fact, nor do I try to portray it as fact. Opinion everyone has one and is entitled to have one.

So how is his different? At least he backed up with points with evidence.

Absolutely, yet you cast aspersions on Mellor’s opinions based on him allegedly being pals with Conor, and dismiss his opinion and claim he’s biased. You can’t have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

LOL

He gave a perfectly reasoned explanation and you think he's biased.
    Funny thing about opinions, not everyone has the same one, pretty boring if we did.

On a better note, this is probably the most 50/50 fight of Conor's yet, it's fantastic

Absolutely, yet you cast aspersions on Mellor’s opinions based on him allegedly being pals with Conor, and dismiss his opinion and claim he’s biased. You can’t have it both ways.

You all stroked my opinion, but if your a regular here it seems your entitled to an opinion. Nowwww I understand.

You all stroked my opinion, but if your a regular here it seems your entitled to an opinion. Nowwww I understand.
    Nah, it's more like if you have some sort of logic, evidence or reasoning behind your opinions - like Mellor had, but sure you dismissed his.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Welcome to Conor season.

Nah, it's more like if you have some sort of logic, evidence or reasoning behind your opinions - like Mellor had, but sure you dismissed his.

Evidence that Conor couldn’t deal with the rigours of Nate Diaz when it went to the ground in fight 1. Yes he was tired have up his back but his will to fight off a submission seems small. As shown when locked in he tapped right away, now give khabib who will be more versed then Nate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Evidence that Conor couldn’t deal with the rigours of Nate Diaz when it went to the ground in fight 1. Yes he was tired have up his back but his will to fight off a submission seems small. As shown when locked in he tapped right away, now give khabib who will be more versed then Nate.

Why did it go to the ground?

Nate's boxing skills far outweigh Khabib's

• Advertisement

Why did it go to the ground?

Nate's boxing skills far outweigh Khabib's

What? It went to the ground cause Conor gassed , tried to shoot, f**ked it up , gave us back up and got choked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement