Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

What? It went to the ground cause Conor gassed , tried to shoot, f**ked it up , gave us back up and got choked.

https://gfycat.com/OilyBabyishChameleon

It went to the ground because he was consistently getting tagged... That is why Conor shot for the TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

https://gfycat.com/OilyBabyishChameleon

It went to the round because he was consistently getting tagged... That is why Conor shot for the TD

Yes cause he was gassed. 1:13 he shot missed it fell to the knees, Nate fired a few shots down , Conor tried to roll free giving up his back, Nate locked it in and it was done within a few secs.

Do you believe Nate’s more efficient on the ground then khabib? I believe with everything that has happened khabib will want to finish this early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Evidence that Conor couldn’t deal with the rigours of Nate Diaz when it went to the ground in fight 1. Yes he was tired have up his back but his will to fight off a submission seems small. As shown when locked in he tapped right away, now give khabib who will be more versed then Nate.
    Have you ever had a RNC choke applied while someone has your back and is pressing their weight on you? It's not pleasant. Especially if you're as tired as Conor looked.

You'd do well to survive that with someone as good as Nate.
    Once that choke was applied Conor knew he wasn't getting out of it, it was either tap and end the fight or go to sleep.

Properly applied RNC will put you to sleep in under 10 seconds.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Have you ever had a RNC choke applied while someone has your back and is pressing their weight on you? It's not pleasant. Especially if you're as tired as Conor looked.

You'd do well to survive that with someone as good as Nate.
    Once that choke was applied Conor knew he wasn't getting out of it, it was either tap and end the fight or go to sleep.

Properly applied RNC will put you to sleep in under 10 seconds.

I’ve had many RNC applied obviously none to the standard of Nate, Conor tapped in 2.3 seconds, you all asked for reasoning. I gave reasoning and now you are explaining it away.

Khabib is more dangerous on ththe ground then Nate.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Yes cause he was gassed. 1:13 he shot missed it fell to the knees, Nate fired a few shots down , Conor tried to roll free giving up his back, Nate locked it in and it was done within a few secs.

Do you believe Nate’s more efficient on the ground then khabib? I believe with everything that has happened khabib will want to finish this early.

Nate in a few seconds tries to lock in a few different submission attempts with some ground n pound in between. Yes he is more efficient on the ground than Khabib.
    Khabib just wears you down.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Nate in a few seconds tries to lock in a few different submission attempts with some ground n pound in between. Yes he is more efficient on the ground than Khabib.
    Khabib just wears you down.

Really you think Nate’s more efficient on the ground then khabib? Mate cmon no chance

I’ve had many RNC applied obviously none to the standard of Nate, Conor tapped in 2.3 seconds, you all asked for reasoning. I gave reasoning and now you are explaining it away.

Khabib is more dangerous on ththe ground then Nate.
    He tapped because he knew he couldn't escape, no point wasting time trying.

I don't think Khabib is better than Nate on the ground, he's, different.

Nate is dangerous on the ground himself, but in a different way to Khabib.
    Khabib will grind you for the duration of the fight and suck out your soul.
    Nate will submit you while Stockton slapping you/giving you the finger.

He tapped because he knew he couldn't escape, no point wasting time trying.

I don't think Khabib is better than Nate on the ground, he's, different.

Nate is dangerous on the ground himself, but in a different way to Khabib.
    Khabib will grind you for the duration of the fight and suck out your soul.
    Nate will submit you while Stockton slapping you/giving you the finger.

Sambo in general works on conditional stability that cannot operate fully while standing. It is linked with Judo through control and throws( Hereby looking to consistently ground opponent) if khabib brings this to the ground like he knows he has to he and he only will say when this fight ends. Conor will be incapable of defending on the ground due to the ferocity and mauling khabib applies to opponents there

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Really you think Nate’s more efficient on the ground then khabib? Mate cmon no chance

Nate will keep coming at you from different angles and trying lots of different submissions.

Khabib will lock you up and grind away at you.

So Nate would keep you moving and be all over you like a spider monkey.
    Khabib will just lodge there.

I think that Nate would find a submission alot quicker that Khabib would.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Sambo isn't some magical skillset. And Khabib doesn't fight like a traditional sambo fighter anyways, look at the other Russian sambo players, he operates nothing like them.

He uses more folkstyle wrestling/judo than he does Sambo, with some BJJ sprinkled in the odd time he gets put on his back.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Nate will keep coming at you from different angles and trying lots of different submissions.

Khabib will lock you up and grind away at you.

So Nate would keep you moving and be all over you like a spider monkey.
    Khabib will just lodge there.

I think that Nate would find a submission alot quicker that Khabib would.

Yeah Khabib isn't a submission grappler, he'll take it if it's offered, but he prefers to ride you and make you carry his weight. He's the best in the business at keeping you tied up, while being able to keep a hand free to GNP.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Sambo isn't some magical skillset. And Khabib doesn't fight like a traditional sambo fighter anyways, look at the other Russian sambo players, he operates nothing like them.

He uses more folkstyle wrestling/judo than he does Sambo, with some BJJ sprinkled in the odd time he gets put on his back.

He’s a black belt in Judo, I’m not familiar with Khabib using BJJ. I’ve seen him defend against it with Sambo defences and what makes you think he doesn’t fight in traditional sambo. He does. He uses every facet of Sambo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Sambo in general works on conditional stability that cannot operate fully while standing. It is linked with Judo through control and throws( Hereby looking to consistently ground opponent) if khabib brings this to the ground like he knows he has to he and he only will say when this fight ends. Conor will be incapable of defending on the ground due to the ferocity and mauling khabib applies to opponents there

Thats a definite possibility. Theres evidence to suggest that conor doesn't always respond to adversity in the way that the Frankie Edgars of this world do. Probably because he has very little experience of being dominated.

Its also possible that conor survives a round of being manhandled on the ground and finishes the fight on the feet in the next round (as he did against Mendes) but on balance, I would think that if Khabib gets Conor down early, the safe money is on Conor being broken by the pressure.

On the flipside, if Khabib leaves himself exposed when closing the distance (as there is plenty of evidence of him doing in the past) its very possible that Conor beats Khabib quite badly and makes him look out of his depth.

Its one of the things I love about this match up. There's a high probability that whoever wins, they will end up looking very dominant in the way they win, due to the skill disparity in their respective areas of expertise.

Its also what is leading to the frustrating arguments of fanboys saying 'conor will sleep him in 1' or 'khabib will maul him'.....either scenario is very possible so its perfectly understandable that a fan of either would be putting forth that opinion. The reality is that its a little harder to predict which fighter will be able to inpose their game plan until we actually see the fight. Can't wait!

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Thats a definite possibility. Theres evidence to suggest that conor doesn't always respond to adversity in the way that the Frankie Edgars of this world do. Probably because he has very little experience of being dominated.

Its also possible that conor survives a round of being manhandled on the ground and finishes the fight on the feet in the next round (as he did against Mendes) but on balance, I would think that if Khabib gets Conor down early, the safe money is on Conor being broken by the pressure.

On the flipside, if Khabib leaves himself exposed when closing the distance (as there is plenty of evidence of him doing in the past) its very possible that Conor beats Khabib quite badly and makes him look out of his depth.

Its one of the things I love about this match up. There's a high probability that whoever wins, they will end up looking very dominant in the way they win, due to the skill disparity in their respective areas of expertise.

Its also what is leading to the frustrating arguments of fanboy saying 'conor will sleep him in 1' or 'khabib will maul him'.....either scenario is very possible so its perfectly understandable that a fan of either would be putting forth that opinion. The reality is that its a little harder to predict which fighter will be able to inpose their game plan until we actually see the fight. Can't wait!

110% I gave my opinion of what I believe will take place. I am by no mean an expert. I was attacked cause 1) majority here are mcgregor fan boys, and we can’t speak nil of him 2) I don’t post here regularly
    3) people will not accept others opinions

This will be my 6th event to attend, I am no fan boy. I am and have been a member of a MMA club for a number of years, I no train with Fantom as I’m that but older. People on here are petty in how they deal with someone speaking against their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

110% I gave my opinion of what I believe will take place. I am by no mean an expert. I was attacked cause 1) majority here are mcgregor fan boys, and we can’t speak nil of him 2) I don’t post here regularly

This will be my 6th event to attend, I am no fan boy. I am and have been a member of a MMA club for a number of years, I no train with Fantom as I’m that but older. People on here are petty in how they deal with someone speaking against their opinion.

Jasus relax man nobody attacked you

I think you'll find most people were giving opposing views to your opinion and you took offence, thinking people were attacking you.

I think you'll find most people were giving opposing views to your opinion and you took offence, thinking people were attacking you.

Hahaha come off it. First sentence to me was wanders into mma section.

Just for the record, I wasn't attacking, was just trying to engage in some discussion. It's great to hear different people with differing opinions on this fight.

Secondly, I did read a post where you told someone to cop on and stop acting like a petulant child, talking like that to other users anywhere on the forum or in real life would not be met with open arms if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Dave0301

That wanders in comment wasn't ideal and I can see why that would get your back up.

Your response to Mellor's well constructed point was poor though, as is calling people "fanboys" when they offer opinions that are explained, but different to yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I'm not sure I saw any attack to be fair. People questioned your opinion, and you clearly aren't happy with the manner in which they did so.

Ironically you then went on to disregard Mellor's argument due to perceived bias on his part. I don't know if Mellor is or is not biased, but you decided to do to his post what you complained about others doing to yours (Mellor wasn't one of those posters, as it happened). Seems counterproductive, no?

On the issue of bias, sure the vast majority of fight fans are biased to varying degrees. I nearly always have a fighter that I want to win when I am watching fights. You yourself said that you HOPE Khabib takes Conor down early and doesn't let his emotions drag him into a standup fight. People could argue based off that statement that your analysis of the fight is biased in favour of Khabib.

People will more often than not have a dog in the fight. Some will be still able to analyse a match-up with a level head, others won't. If we go down the route of disregarding well argued posts on the basis of possible bias we will be left with absolutely nothing other than fanboy ping-pong that you see in youtube comments sections!

• Advertisement

He’s a black belt in Judo, I’m not familiar with Khabib using BJJ. I’ve seen him defend against it with Sambo defences and what makes you think he doesn’t fight in traditional sambo. He does. He uses every facet of Sambo.

https://streamable.com/kgcpm

He operates from guard here both times he gets put on his back by Trujilo.

Pre-UFC he got taken down a good few times, and it's generally the same BJJ techniques he tries, triangles from guard maybe spinning into an arm bar.

I think he utilizes sambo in the takedown, a bit, he doesn't have the cleanest ones. He usually uses chain wrestling against the cage. He is a total hybrid tbh, definitely not pure sambo, and that comes from his dad who was a freestyle wrestler before picking up sambo and judo in the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Still I can't help but think Conor surprises us again....

Lukker- wrote: »
    https://streamable.com/kgcpm

He operates from guard here both times he gets put on his back by Trujilo.

Pre-UFC he got taken down a good few times, and it's generally the same BJJ techniques he tries, triangles from guard maybe spinning into an arm bar.

I think he utilizes sambo in the takedown, a bit, he doesn't have the cleanest ones. He usually uses chain wrestling against the cage. He is a total hybrid tbh, definitely not pure sambo, and that comes from his dad who was a freestyle wrestler before picking up sambo and judo in the army.

He will always use sambo while taking down they look a small bit like Judoka but both foRms can be similar if you watch him I think it’s 2012 when he was beaten in Kiev you will see he uses a lot of Judo like attacks( de ashi Harai) these sweeps are commonly used in sambo bouts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

The 'wanders in' comment was mine, it was after you had already accused someone of being a petulant child and I was responding to EagerBeaver.

Opinions are welcomed here, backing them up with reason makes your opinions even more welcomed. Stick around, we need more intelligent discussion in these parts and not the accusations of fan boy and hater rubbish that will increase over the next few weeks.

I apologize for any point of view I dismissed when I felt cause new on here and my point was pushed away it annoyed me. Apologies

Whelo79 wrote: »
    The 'wanders in' comment was mine, it was after you had already accused someone of being a petulant child and I was responding to EagerBeaver.

Opinions are welcomed here, backing them up with reason makes your opinions even more welcomed. Stick around, we need more intelligent discussion in these parts and not the accusations of fan boy and hater rubbish that will increase over the next few weeks.

I felt my point was misrepresented by a poster and I reacted badly. I am not a poster on the MMA forum but I follow daily. I seen a post yesterday and I replied.

Hopefully can be overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I felt my point was misrepresented by a poster and I reacted badly. I am not a poster on the MMA forum but I follow daily. I seen a post yesterday and I replied.

Be grand, having a row in this thread is like a right of passage into the MMA forum...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads enough of the nonsense - cut out this fanboy crap and equally the well i train here and do xyz..anyone is welcome to post here as long as they are doing so within the rules of the charter and generally not being an idiot causing hassle. Enjoy the fight for what it is and the fact we get to see the two of them in the cage. Back on topic..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Absolutely.

Like I said, stick around and add to the conversation, you are more than welcome here no matter what your opinion may be.

• Advertisement

Be grand, having a row in this thread is like a right of passage into the MMA forum...
    It's a normal day to be fair.

Anyway, hurry up fight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement