Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

Anyone rate the volkov Lewis fight for a Co mainer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Absolutely not. Dogsh*t co main. It actually pisses me off whenever I'm reminded of it. Derrick Lewis is a terrible, terrible fighter in my opinion.
    I'm praying for just one or two more big names, Pettis, Lee, Ferguson etc....I hate the thought of going transatlantic for a boxing style event with just one big fight at the top of the card

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

dulux99 wrote: »
    Absolutely not. Dogsh*t co main. It actually pisses me off whenever I'm reminded of it. Derrick Lewis is a terrible, terrible fighter in my opinion.
    I'm praying for just one or two more big names, Pettis, Lee, Ferguson etc....I hate the thought of going transatlantic for a boxing style event with just one big fight at the top of the card

Lee has said on Instagram that he has an opponent for 229 and he's started camp.

Lukker- wrote: »

Lee has said on Instagram that he has an opponent for 229 and he's started camp.
    I thought he said he *didn't* have an opponent but is starting a camp anyway? I was assuming he was doing that incase one of the main event falls out

A lot of speculation on twitter regarding lee fighting. Think with such a big main, 1 or 2 match ups would smash PPvs again. Or maybe they are banking on Conor Khabib doing it alone and blooding fresh faced fighters that haven’t main carded often.

As far as I know Conor won’t have as much PR stuff this time round either so could be a bloody nose for the UFC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Lewis got a load of steroids injected into his back last week (USADA approved of course) so as hard as he hits normally with a bad back imagine him roided up!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

So outside you being a friend of Conor? Is your opinion ever gonna be non biased.
    I genuinely don't know how to reply to this. What exactly have I said that has offended you?
    A fighter's first time in the 4th and 5th round is not the time to practise his weaknesses. Do you really think pointing that out makes me biased? I find that odd, especially since you said you train yourself.

A lot of speculation on twitter regarding lee fighting. Think with such a big main, 1 or 2 match ups would smash PPvs again. Or maybe they are banking on Conor Khabib doing it alone and blooding fresh faced fighters that haven’t main carded often.

As far as I know Conor won’t have as much PR stuff this time round either so could be a bloody nose for the UFC

They are banking on the main event alone. Conor won't allow anyone else to get ppv points as part of his new deal so they can't have any other fighter who would expect that.

cliggg wrote: »
    They are banking on the main event alone. Conor won't allow anyone else to get ppv points as part of his new deal so they can't have any other fighter who would expect that.

Yeah I get that but they need to think of fans also who are paying high end product. Volkov and Lewis just won't catch imagination of alot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Khabib used the Iaquinta fight to get some stand up practice, nothing more.

This makes a whole heap of sense. A championship fight in the UFC is probably the only place he could get stand up practice.

He should really think about leaving his current gym, whatever it is, and consider joining one with a few UFC/Bellator/ONE fighters so he can finally get stand up practice without having to rely on opponents giving him a workout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

This fcking place is mental

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Yeah I get that but they need to think of fans also who are paying high end product. Volkov and Lewis just won't catch imagination of alot

With Conor being a fan of Mayweather, and the way boxing promotion works, his fights will go the way boxing has. There's no "thinking of the fans" when there's many $$$$$$$$$ to be made.

Even with a loss, he'll outearn Khabib and the rest of the card added together.

John_D80 wrote: »
    This makes a whole heap of sense. A championship fight in the UFC is probably the only place he could get stand up practice.

He should really think about leaving his current gym, whatever it is, and consider joining one with a few UFC/Bellator/ONE fighters so he can finally get stand up practice without having to rely on opponents giving him a workout.

He works standup and striking with Shanavazov and AKA also. He needs to get better but he will with time.

Seen Anderson Silva weighed in behind Khabib last night

I'd say they're hoping it will be the same as the Mayweather-McGregor card, nobody cared about any other fight but the main event and it was a huge success. My guess is they're expecting 1.5 million buys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

He works standup and striking with Shanavazov and AKA also.

I know. I was being sarcastic in response to one of the most unbelievably silly posts I’ve ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

dave1982 wrote: »

I would visit this thread often enough but never post. This place is a bastion of sanity compared to mmafighting, bloodyelbow etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

McGregor reaches that big a casual base that he sells whatever is on the card. The extra 1.5-2m people who buy this are buying for the main event.

The 150k hardcores who want to see Cerrone or Woodley or Edgar etc on the undercard are buying anyways. But there are advantages to giving exposure to fighters you want to make stars like they tried with Cody on a Conor card, and Conor on 178 before Jones pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Can you imagine if Conor submitted him? Internet would have a meltdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He works standup and striking with Shanavazov and AKA also. He needs to get better but he will with time.

Seen Anderson Silva weighed in behind Khabib last night

He's been with AKA for years and his fundamentals have shown no signs of improving. Rockhold is the same, he has some good kicking technique and a decent right hook, but his head movement, footwork and defense are absolutely awful. So much so that's he for outside looks to help him improve with Henri Hooft and Jason Parillo.

He's been with AKA for years and his fundamentals have shown no signs of improving. Rockhold is the same, he has some good kicking technique and a decent right hook, but his head movement, footwork and defense are absolutely awful. So much so that's he for outside looks to help him improve with Henri Hooft and Jason Parillo.
    True but if he is being directed to there which he clearly is he should grow a pair and walk

• Advertisement

dave1982 wrote: »
    I've said it before and now I'll say it again. This thread is madder than the Louise O' Neill one in After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I've said it before and now I'll say it again. This thread is madder than the Louise O' Neill one in After Hours.

Woah, woah, woah! Actually at times yes

I don’t really get the idea that this thread is “mad” as some people say. The stuff said on here is the typical stuff you see people arguing over in a pub on a Saturday night, about whichever sport they follow.

When it comes to sport, people like to debate and argue amongst themselves. It’s part of the fun. The debates/arguments can get a bit heated at times but…so what? It’s part and parcel of following sports. I don’t get why people act like they’ve just stumbled into a thread where people are threatening to behead each other.

I don’t really get the idea that this thread is “mad” as some people say. The stuff said on here is the typical stuff you see people arguing over in a pub on a Saturday night, about whichever sport they follow.

When it comes to sport, people like to debate and argue amongst themselves. It’s part of the fun. The debates/arguments can get a bit heated at times but…so what? It’s part and parcel of following sports. I don’t get why people act like they’ve just stumbled into a thread where people are threatening to behead each other.
    Well I continue to post here so I do like the thread. I meant mad in an entertaining way. I compared it to the Louise O' Neill one because many people on that actually make the effort to follow the life of someone who they claim to hate (via social media, not actual stalking!) then log on to a website to post about it and say how this makes them even more terrible than they are already! Some people here obviously do that (though not all thankfully) but when I call it mad I'm referring to pre-naming Conor's babies, pages and pages of conversations about affairs with Liverpudlian women, Conor on the run from Irish gangsters.. etc...
    I don't participate in that stuff but it amuses me to read it because it's so mad.

I was just thinking if this is considered mad they would definitely wanna stay in doors

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Do you believe Nate’s more efficient on the ground then khabib? I believe with everything that has happened khabib will want to finish this early.

Khabib is not good at finishing fights though. look at his record, vastly inferior fighters to Conor went the distance with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Never knew Conor took a class at 10th planet. Eddie says Conor is lethal on the mat. That was a few years ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Never knew Conor took a class at 10th planet. Eddie says Conor is lethal on the mat. That was a few years ago too.

From memory so done details might be slightly off, Conor was in LA for UFC stuff. He walked into a random gym to do some bag work. Turns out Eddie Bravo was there teaching a class, came over said hello, yada yada. Conor went and got his grappling gear on, cane over to the mats and asked who his best guys were and jumped in with them.
    Eddie spoke very highly of his jiu jitsu afterwards, and mentioned that no top UFC fighter do at his gyms but they don't want randoms making them look bad.

Mellor wrote: »
    From memory so done details might be slightly off, Conor was in LA for UFC stuff. He walked into a random gym to do some bag work. Turns out Eddie Bravo was there teaching a class, came over said hello, yada yada. Conor went and got his grappling gear on, cane over to the mats and asked who his best guys were and jumped in with them.
    Eddie spoke very highly of his jiu jitsu afterwards, and mentioned that no top UFC fighter do at his gyms but they don't want randoms making them look bad.

https://youtu.be/Owsors1j-HE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The Ufc 230 undercard is way more stacked.

Its a pity they couldnt of put the Brunson Vs Adesanya fight on this undercard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement