Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

Never knew Conor took a class at 10th planet. Eddie says Conor is lethal on the mat. That was a few years ago too.
    Eddie praised his willingness to roll with random high-level guys more so than his actual ability on the mat. Kind of an attitude and willingness type thing. (and I don't think Conor would roll with randoms nowadays, the story was many years ago).

He's said some complimentary things about Conor's ground game; his top pressure and posture etc. He defended him after the Nate loss. But I don't know if he's ever called him 'lethal' on the mat.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

The 229 card is so underwhelming at the moment. I've been to 189 & 205 and they were stacked to the brim. Hoping the UFC puts on at least 3 more fights to get excited about. Otherwise they'll have an empty arena up until 30 minutes before the main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

ricero wrote: »
    The Ufc 230 undercard is way more stacked.

Its a pity they couldnt of put the Brunson Vs Adesanya fight on this undercard.

I can understand McGregor saying no other title fights/PPV point getting fighters on his cards, fine no problem there but there is no reason we can't have the undercard stacked with quality fighters on the rise and guys ranked #5 to#15.

Surely the UFC want Adesanya and similar fighters getting a few more eyeballs on them with the hope they can get a little shine if they perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

I must be the only one who's really looking forward to seeing Volkov fight again. 2 bonuses in a row in 2 really good scraps. Lewis is entertaining too. His post fight interviews are comedic gold! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Conor's ppv is guaranteed to do over a million buys so why bother stacking it really? The next ppv after it is the Madison Square Garden one so that's gonna be the stacked one, if they can get an attention grabbing headline fight for that like the last 2 then they could be looking at very high buyrates for that too. It does make business sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

cliggg wrote: »
    Conor's ppv is guaranteed to do over a million buys so why bother stacking it really? The next ppv after it is the Madison Square Garden one so that's gonna be the stacked one, if they can get an attention grabbing headline fight for that like the last 2 then they could be looking at very high buyrates for that too. It does make business sense.

I've seen alot of people say this, but you could have said the same for every one of his fights since UFC 189. Its fun to stack cards - it's the thing the UFC has prided themselves on from day one. It was the opposite of boxing. But as it stands this feels like any old boxing event where nobody cares about anything until the main event. It's just not the same. UFC 189, 194, 196 and 202 smashed ppv records - it didn't stop them from stacking 205. That's what made the UFC great. It's disappointing to see them take such a swift turn against that.

dulux99 wrote: »
    I've seen alot of people say this, but you could have said the same for every one of his fights since UFC 189. Its fun to stack cards - it's the thing the UFC has prided themselves on from day one. It was the opposite of boxing. But as it stands this feels like any old boxing event where nobody cares about anything until the main event. It's just not the same. UFC 189, 194, 196 and 202 smashed ppv records - it didn't stop them from stacking 205. That's what made the UFC great. It's disappointing to see them take such a swift turn against that.
    Aye I agree but it could turn out to be a great card, big names don't necessarily mean great fights.

Aye I agree but it could turn out to be a great card, big names don't necessarily mean great fights.

Yeah I don't agree with that either haha. Any fight between any pair of fighters can be great, but the sense of excitement before the fight won't be there. That's why people pay money to watch fights between big names. Dana White always says "don't judge a fight card until the fights have happened"... He only ever says that when the fight card is crap. He's very happy to shout from the rooftops when a card has got 3 or 4 crackers on it.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Yeah I don't agree with that either haha. Any fight between any pair of fighters can be great, but the sense of excitement before the fight won't be there. That's why people pay money to watch fights between big names. Dana White always says "don't judge a fight card until the fights have happened"... He only ever says that when the fight card is crap. He's very happy to shout from the rooftops when a card has got 3 or 4 crackers on it.
    Haha! True, at least we can agree on wanting a big stacked card. But from what is announced so far I'd say that Waterson-Herrig should be a good scrap and Sean O'Malley hasn't failed to entertain me yet. Other than that I'd say er... maybe take Dana's advice? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Inviere

What’s Joe Duffy up to these days? He seemed to be climbing the division until he got starched there in his most recent fight

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    What’s Joe Duffy up to these days? He seemed to be climbing the division until he got starched there in his most recent fight

He does be on the radio there in the afternoons..Can't imagine he'd be great in a fight..unless he patronized them into submission..

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

After 217 he hasn’t been seen hasn’t he?

I just googled him, he had shoulder surgery in February and hopes to be back late 2018/early2019. He is also now represented by Khabib's manager which I had no idea about. I went on Gunnar's twitter and he say's he's "almost ready" which may be an indicator of an announcement soon. I hope it is.

I just googled him, he had shoulder surgery in February and hopes to be back late 2018/early2019. He is also now represented by Khabib's manager which I had no idea about. I went on Gunnar's twitter and he say's he's "almost ready" which may be an indicator of an announcement soon. I hope it is.

I don’t get excited for Gunni. I tend to be bored watching him. Maia and Gunni was snoozetown

I don’t get excited for Gunni. I tend to be bored watching him. Maia and Gunni was snoozetown
    I enjoyed that fight myself, from my hazy memory I don't remember it being as one sided as people seem to think it was. I love watching Gunni fight.

I enjoyed that fight myself, from my hazy memory I don't remember it being as one sided as people seem to think it was. I love watching Gunni fight.

REally hahah naw I thought both ruled each other out style wise was a bore for me. I usually tend to love a striker with a ground artist. 2 BJJ can be very slow to progress and cook

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I thought that was the best gunni fight tbh

dave1982 wrote: »
    I thought that was the best gunni fight tbh

In what sense? I enjoyed the Jouban fight. Gunni 2nd round sub

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Two great submision artists both going for subs and the other knowing exactly what the was trying to do before they done it.

I think the days of ground fighter v striker are gone, fighters are too well rounded now.... like liddel sobral for instance

I love Gunni. One of my favourites. Lovely striking, attacking BJJ, interesting personality, always looks to finish at every moment of the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That fight was a very, very good black belt, against Damian Maia.
    It was fairly one sided, Maia had plenty of control throughout the whole fight.

dave1982 wrote: »
    Two great submision artists both going for subs and the other knowing exactly what the was trying to do before they done it.

I think the days of ground fighter v striker are gone, fighters are too well rounded now.... like liddel sobral for instance

Not all fighters are rounded though Dave. A lot struggle to accommodate certain styles when moulded look at Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    That fight was a very, very good black belt, against Damian Maia.
    It was fairly one sided, Maia had plenty of control throughout the whole fight.
    Yeah I must give it a watch again soon to refresh my memory but I remember it as Maia getting into great positions for finishes but Gunni reversing or blocking for the whole 3 rounds.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Really? Jaysus, feckin' goldfish memory I have so! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Yeah Gunni got badly schooled in that fight. Maia was totally in control the whole way through it and Gunni was a bloody mess by the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Any announcements on dates for the pressers yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 14 seanboylan87

As someone who has been watching UFC only since McGregor shot to fame, excuse my ignorance but if Khabib is so strong at wrestling is there not a fair chance that if and when he mounts McGregor he'll look to choke him out ASAP as he knows McGregor's threat and there's a fair chance that he will be able to do this as Nate Diaz was and Chad Mendes wasn't a million miles away from doing so too? Both less heralded wrestlers than Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Khabib's style is to maul you on the ground through relentless pressure, he doesn't generally go for submissions unless they're right there.

Mendes is a multiple All American wrestler and arguably made his biggest ever mistake going for the choke on McGregor when he'd been absolutely dominating him on the ground.

Nate choked him out because McGregor gave it up to him pretty handily when he gave him his back. McGregor was so gassed at that stage he knew he had nothing left and it was better to give up the choke than get pounded on even more.

If a similar chance exists and Khabib sees a choke or an armbar presented to him, he'll take it, but he'll not yet and engineer it if it risks him taking shots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Yeah I must give it a watch again soon to refresh my memory but I remember it as Maia getting into great positions for finishes but Gunni reversing or blocking for the whole 3 rounds.
    You're remembering a different fight so :) Maia made him look like an amateur, which is a testament to just how good Maia actually is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement