Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Comments

Were they being ironic I wonder?

Anyway, regardless..what an achievement..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I guessing you failed the job interview?

Yeah

You his nut hugger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

Paully D wrote: »
    Regardless of what anyone thinks about it, it’s going to be Ferguson vs Khabib first lads.

And the new!....UFC, Lightweight, Interim, Champion on the World.....

Jaysus, Buffer better get working on his lung capacity :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Yeah

You his nut hugger

This isnt AH, take some time off and grow up a bit before you come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Kavanagh looking at Khabib videos on his instagram story... a hint perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Kavanagh looking at Khabib videos on his instagram story... a hint perhaps?

Khabib joining SBG confirmed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I confirmed last week lads. Conor v khabib will be announced very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I confirmed last week lads. Conor v khabib will be announced very soon.

Can you confirm location and weekend?? Do the boards lads a solid so we can get the bookings in before the ufc announcement and prices skyrocket :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I can confirm lad Conor vs Tony to be announced soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I can confirm lad Khabbib vs Tony to be announced soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Who wins at Khabib vs Tony do ye think ?

Khabib by wrastlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Inviere wrote: »
    And the new!....UFC, Lightweight, Interim, Champion on the World.....

Jaysus, Buffer better get working on his lung capacity :o

Saying interim is a bit shorter than saying undisputed. Oh dear...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Khabib would make mince of alvarez IMO . have a funny feeling 2018 is going to be a fcuked up year for mcgregor

http://www.punditarena.com/mma/ccunningham/nurmagomedov-wants-eddie-alvarez-mcgregorferguson-goes-ahead/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Lukker- wrote: »
    Khabib joining SBG confirmed

Kavanagh is going to need someone to attach himself too if Conor is done with MMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Who wins at Khabib vs Tony do ye think ?

Khabib. McGregor will beat khabib first though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Gamb!t wrote: »
    I can confirm lad Khabbib vs Tony to be announced soon.

IN EA's UFC games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,260 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Khabib would rag doll Alvarez

I can confirm lads Conor vs Alvarez to be announced soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I saw that Instagram story that John Kavanagh had up, of Khabib getting countered by a straight left by Gleison Tibau....that fight was in 2012.

I can't really imagine Javier Mendes is studying much tape on McGregor's fight vs Steve O'Keeffe or Dave Hill in preperation for their potential scrap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

dulux99 wrote: »
    I saw that Instagram story that John Kavanagh had up, of Khabib getting countered by a straight left by Gleison Tibau....that fight was in 2012.

I can't really imagine Javier Mendes is studying much tape on McGregor's fight vs Steve O'Keeffe or Dave Hill in preperation for their potential scrap.

He's trolling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I think it's because that's the fight many people think Khabib should've lost on the score cards. Tibau also fights southpaw too.

Now I wonder why JK would be interested in that... ;)

MagicIRL wrote: »

I think it's because that's the fight many people think Khabib should've lost on the score cards. Tibau also fights southpaw too.

Now I wonder why JK would be interested in that... ;)
    I'll watch that fight back this evening, I can't really remember it. All 3 judges had it 30-27 for Khabib though? Was it much closer than the scorecards depict?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

You'll see most people scored it for Tibau. But it was a very close fight. It's definitely the closest Khabib has come to losing in his career thus far.

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/3577/Khabib-Nurmagomedov-vs-Gleison-Tibau

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I think that fight was just 3 rounds of Khabib moving forward and getting every one of his takedowns stuffed. All Tibau did was defend takedowns. Very little striking from either if I remember correctly, which I may not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

martyos121 wrote: »
    “Oh great, more wannabe gangster spiel from McGregor, gotta love that!”

-no-one, ever

Personally I love it, and I don't see it as "wannabe gangster spiel" at all - what IMO people are missing with Conor's courting of controversy over the ridiculous cartel story is that he's playing the media like a fiddle. If you had his troll mindset, which we all know he's always had, and the press conjured up a story about you being involved with a massive international criminal conspiracy because of who you happened to grow up living with in your area, think about it - you could either shut it down or have some massive craic seeing the media go apesh!t over everything you posted, despite offering no evidence whatsoever except anonymous quotes.

Personally, I think it's hilarious. It's like when people on 4chan manage to plant fake stories in the mainstream press - this isn't really about the cartel at all, it's about how ridiculously gullible the media has become in recent years, and how it now relies on social media for a substantial amount of its leads - rather than sending actual investigative journalists out to meet people and research the stories.

In all honesty, do you think any of these clowns reporting that McGregor is a card carrying Kinahan have actually gone out and interviewed anyone involved? The whole story about him attacking someone at a house party and then subsequently having a pub brawl was based entirely on screenshots of a feckin' WhatsApp conversation and extremely ambiguous photographs in which you literally can't make out anyone's face or even size. Iron clad case, sure.

If Conor is innocent of what he's being accused of, then I for one don't begrudge him having a bit of fun and stirring it up just to troll gullible "journalists" who see their job as simply reading Twitter and rehashing everything people write on it. That's the angle I feel people aren't looking at this from. To me at least, it has nothing to do with being a wannabe gangster, it has to do with showing off out effortless it is to cause the media to lose their f*cking minds with a simple tweet or Instagram post - and IMO that's a damn good thing, because a huge part of the whole "fake news" thing over the last year or so has been driven by the media forgetting that the internet is not supposed to be taken seriously as a reliable source of information without corroborating evidence from other sources.

"The trouble with internet quotations is the inherent difficulty in establishing their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I think you’re giving him waaaay too much credit there tbh. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

martyos121 wrote: »
    I think you’re giving him waaaay too much credit there tbh. Just my opinion.

Perhaps. I'd just put him in a similar category to 4chan - extremely media savvy combined with not actually giving a bollocks about what people think of him, so his priority is trolling the press and then getting to laugh his hole off about it.

If that is the case, then it's something I absolutely applaud. Sure, maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but that's my theory anyway. My family is full of journalists, so I have a particular hatred for the "we're going to spend our entire career trawling through social media and conjuring stories based on this, without ever actually leaving the office to speak to the people involved" style of journalism. Anything which f*cks them up and shows how this modus operandi of journalism is wide open to being manipulated by clever trolls is something to celebrate, IMO, as it hastens the demise of these lazy and disastrously unreliable journalistic techniques.

To be honest I also think you're giving him far more credit than he deserves. I think he just sees himself as a king these days. He's already achieved everything he's ever wanted to achieve and he's not even 30. Wildly rich and successful, has won two world titles in the UFC, and is probably the most famous person in Ireland. Everywhere he goes he's treated like a god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Perhaps. I'd just put him in a similar category to 4chan - extremely media savvy combined with not actually giving a bollocks about what people think of him, so his priority is trolling the press and then getting to laugh his hole off about it.

If that is the case, then it's something I absolutely applaud. Sure, maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but that's my theory anyway. My family is full of journalists, so I have a particular hatred for the "we're going to spend our entire career trawling through social media and conjuring stories based on this, without ever actually leaving the office to speak to the people involved" style of journalism. Anything which f*cks them up and shows how this modus operandi of journalism is wide open to being manipulated by clever trolls is something to celebrate, IMO, as it hastens the demise of these lazy and disastrously unreliable journalistic techniques.

any one underestimating mcgregor is foolish, he basically orchestrated that whole mayweather thing from nothing, and he has been working on it for a few years.

You may not have agreed with it or been interested in it, but he made euromillions cash off of it,

hats off to him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement