Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

As someone who has been watching UFC only since McGregor shot to fame, excuse my ignorance but if Khabib is so strong at wrestling is there not a fair chance that if and when he mounts McGregor he'll look to choke him out ASAP as he knows McGregor's threat and there's a fair chance that he will be able to do this as Nate Diaz was and Chad Mendes wasn't a million miles away from doing so too? Both less heralded wrestlers than Khabib.

Khabibs weakness will be exploited by Conor, as will Conor's weakness by Khabib they are so polar opposites that it will be an explosion. Khabib either goes early from a big left hand or Conor gets brought down and hurt for a prolonged period or submitted quickly. It will be a fight not to be missed. I am not a Conor fan so hoping khabib brings his A game but either way I'll be sure this is gonna be a dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Maia attacked well and Gunni defended well, but Maia was in control throughout. Great offensive and defensive BJJ was on show, that was Maia at his best and he'd have submitted most welterweights in the positions he got into. Two black belts going at it, one black belt a notch above the other though.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Maia attacked well and Gunni defended well, but Maia was in control throughout. Great offensive and defensive BJJ was on show, that was Maia at his best and he'd have submitted most welterweights in the positions he got into. Two black belts going at it, one black belt a notch above the other though.

Damian considered a veteran for a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 39,418 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks. That's the time as talking about.

Still waiting for answer for weirdness btw
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107803863&postcount=5018

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Hearing all bs about mendes and nate

First off , conor’s knee was fooked pretty much in the lead up to the fight , even before aldo pulled out conor has issues , this would have played havoc with his game plan cause he was expecting aldo , have we seen conor taken down before mendes or since ? No

Nate rocked him and rocked him again and he was gassed carrying 25lbs more than usual
    , he didn’t envisage nate taking the shots , but he did and rocked conor and he was gassed and went for the take down , other than that conor in his 9 previous fights hasnt been taken down

Yes khabib is a monster at 26-0 but 15 were previous ufc and nobody has a clue who they were so could be padded , not doubting his takedowns at all , but i reckon once khabib feels that left his game plan will change , as dan hardy said , khabib only has one way and thats forward , remember brimmage ( yes he’s no khabib ) but he came at conor and got schooled with angles and uppercuts , expect something similar

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I genuinely don't know how to reply to this. What exactly have I said that has offended you?
    A fighter's first time in the 4th and 5th round is not the time to practise his weaknesses. Do you really think pointing that out makes me biased? I find that odd, especially since you said you train yourself.

I never said it was practice time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Nate rocked him and rocked him again and he was gassed carrying 25lbs more than usual
    , he didn’t envisage nate taking the shots , but he did and rocked conor and he was gassed and went for the take down , other than that conor in his 9 previous fights hasnt been taken down

Just on this:
    Conor was probably at his normal weight for that fight, he wasn't carrying 25lbs more than usual, he doesn't walk around at 145.

He gassed because he threw bombs constantly in the first round and Nate took them. Throwing that hard, plus a few other bits with it, for 5 minutes will tire you fast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Just on this:
    Conor was probably at his normal weight for that fight, he wasn't carrying 25lbs more than usual, he doesn't walk around at 145.

He gassed because he threw bombs constantly in the first round and Nate took them. Throwing that hard, plus a few other bits with it, for 5 minutes will tire you fast
    It was the same in the Holloway fight, Conor threw so may punches and kicks he nearly gassed himself out. Coming out to start the second round I could see it, and it was before he hurt his leg.

I never said it was practice time?

I was refering to the quoted post. If I have to link to the source, here you go?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107801230&postcount=4970

How was I being biased? And what was with the wierd outburst?
    Was genuinely confused tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I think the UFC will play it safe with this card and just leave main event as the big draw.

With Conor probably getting close to 10m flat plus PPV I dont think they want to put too many big stars on-that command a high enough fee.

Remember they have been waiting for this cash flow for nearly 2 years they need to make as much as possible before he goes off again for another year

If you think about the UFC 200 card then UFC 202 a few months later,
    UFC were smart to drop Conor from 200 when they knew it will sell without him, so add to 202 and make 2 big selling PPV.

It will be the same with this, 1.5-2m PPV for 229 and stack the New york card and try get close to 1m

• Advertisement

fitzparker wrote: »
    I think the UFC will play it safe with this card and just leave main event as the big draw.

With Conor probably getting close to 10m flat plus PPV I dont think they want to put too many big stars on-that command a high enough fee.

Remember they have been waiting for this cash flow for nearly 2 years they need to make as much as possible before he goes off again for another year

If you think about the UFC 200 card then UFC 202 a few months later,
    UFC were smart to drop Conor from 200 when they knew it will sell without him, so add to 202 and make 2 big selling PPV.

It will be the same with this, 1.5-2m PPV for 229 and stack the New york card and try get close to 1m
    I'm also seeing rumours of GSP fighting at 231 in Canada. If that were to happen then they could have 4 big buyrates in a row presuming they're end of year card sells big like it almost always does.

I was refering to the quoted post. If I have to link to the source, here you go?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107801230&postcount=4970

How was I being biased? And what was with the wierd outburst?
    Was genuinely confused tbh.
    Get over it. Sin é

He also had a chest infection apparently, that would have a huge effect on his endurance.
    Even without the chest infection he would have been bolloxed by the end of the first. He admitted himself to throwing full power shots constantly trying to put Nate down.
    That kind of output cannot be maintained, which we seen in round two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

He also had a chest infection apparently, that would have a huge effect on his endurance.
    Even without the chest infection he would have been bolloxed by the end of the first. He admitted himself to throwing full power shots constantly trying to put Nate down.
    That kind of output cannot be maintained, which we seen in round two.

And in fight two, although he had learned how to cope with it by then.

And in fight two, although he had learned how to cope with it by then.
    Yeah, his style is not made for 5 rounds.
    He has a high energy output style so it'll wear you down pretty quick.

Could also be a mental thing causing a big adrenaline dump or that, if people can walk him down maybe he starts to panic a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Haven't heard that before

If it's the first Diaz fight ye are talking about then yeah he had a staph infection 2 weeks before it. I do wonder if he was somewhat relieved to not have to cut weight for the fight given that. Maybe that's why he suggested the fight be at 170?

Yeah, his style is not made for 5 rounds.
    He has a high energy output style so it'll wear you down pretty quick.

Could also be a mental thing causing a big adrenaline dump or that, if people can walk him down maybe he starts to panic a bit.

That will need to change if true S&C have a lot to answer for if he can't hold 5 champ rounds at tempo

Get over it. Sin é
    Not to worry bud. I was confused not bothered.
    But as a tip, don't talk about what always happens on the forum when your account is only a week old. ;) makes the rereg obvious.

But as a tip, don't talk about what always happens on the forum when your account is only a week old. ;) makes the rereg obvious.

Rereg? Why since when could you not view this without being a member?

• Advertisement

And a week old. I'm here a month but don't let facts get in the way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads NO discussion about illegal streaming

That will need to change if true S&C have a lot to answer for if he can't hold 5 champ rounds at tempo
    Not really.
    Some styles are just not made for endurance.
    He's a twitchy, reactive fighter, that takes a fair chunk of energy to be that alert and active.
    I reckon most people would struggle to keep that up for five rounds

Not really.
    Some styles are just not made for endurance.
    He's a twitchy, reactive fighter, that takes a fair chunk of energy to be that alert and active.
    I reckon most people would struggle to keep that up for five rounds

But to achieve what Conor wants he will need to be responsive rather then reactive. Repsonsive fighters repsonde to urging from corner, reactive can implode and be scarce when going gets tough. Maybe that's ****e talk but that's my Outlook

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Firas Zahabi had a great segment on Joe Rogan's podcast about why he feel McGregor has endurance issues. Can't link it at the moment but it's definitely worth a look on YouTube if you haven't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Was it the 3rd round in Diaz 2 where he seemed gassed out again but managed to get a second wind?

His TKD defence against Eddie was excellent even if he was shook.

The Chad fight Conors power still carried after being taken and kept down a fair bit - though full camp Mendes and all that

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Was it the 3rd round in Diaz 2 where he seemed gassed out again but managed to get a second wind?

His TKD defence against Eddie was excellent even if he was shook.

The Chad fight Conors power still carried after being taken and kept down a fair bit - though full camp Mendes and all that

Don't know whether he gassed or decided to take it off but yeah he was poor in the third (although he was still throwing if I remember right) and came back strong in the forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

dulux99 wrote: »
    Firas Zahabi had a great segment on Joe Rogan's podcast about why he feel McGregor has endurance issues. Can't link it at the moment but it's definitely worth a look on YouTube if you haven't seen it.

Is it fast twitch muscle fibres thing? Like Rumble Johnson basically just their make up. All the endurance training in the world and he'll still suffer from it.

My own personal crackpot theory is about his lack of roadwork after the knee injury- with long distance swimming, rowing and cycling he's not carrying his own bodyweight so doesn't bolster cardio the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Firas Zahab, not the joe rogan discussion however a little bit here

https://youtu.be/VBQfgrRueBo

Here is the Joe Rogan part
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZStCNrGuYFc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement