Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

No UFC event has sold 2 million. I doubt this one will either

My point remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

My point remains.

What exactly was the point?

The UFC wouldn't exist as we know it without the people who buy PPVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

VW 1 wrote: »
    What exactly was the point?

People take the pre-fight build-up stuff far too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I think Conor will win by TKO however it would be something else to see Khabib slam him to the floor and see what happens .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I think Conor will win by TKO however it would be something else to see Khabib slam him to the floor and see what happens .

Mendes had quite a bit of success with elbows after he slammed McGregor down :pac:

I think that Khabib would just be happy to smash McGregor for the 25 minutes if he can take him down at will. He won't want to risk it going back to feet...look what happened to Mendes after the stuffed guillotine attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Mendes had quite a bit of success with elbows after he slammed McGregor down :pac:

I think that Khabib would just be happy to smash McGregor for the 25 minutes if he can take him down at will. He won't want to risk it going back to feet...look what happened to Mendes after the stuffed guillotine attempt.

For that to happen he needs to take down Conor atleast 5 times, which he is well able to but I'd be surprised if Conor didnt catch him in his range during one of those attempts.

I don't know what to make of Khabib, ya he's looked impressive and mauled his opponents but no real top guy. If he beat Ferguson I'd have some idea of him against a top fighter. I don't want to say he is overrated, more untested.

rob316 wrote: »
    For that to happen he needs to take down Conor atleast 5 times, which he is well able to but I'd be surprised if Conor didnt catch him in his range during one of those attempts.

I don't know what to make of Khabib, ya he's looked impressive and mauled his opponents but no real top guy. If he beat Ferguson I'd have some idea of him against a top fighter. I don't want to say he is overrated, more untested.

I agree. I think that Khabib will be very open as he attempts to close the range.

It will also be interesting to see how McGregor sets out his kicking. He has used it to his advantage against Mendes, as well as in other fights to help keep guys moving the way he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Conor also had a fooked up knee

Doubt mendes would of taken him down only for that

I agree. I think that Khabib will be very open as he attempts to close the range.

It will also be interesting to see how McGregor sets out his kicking. He has used it to his advantage against Mendes, as well as in other fights to help keep guys moving the way he wants.

He's a fan of the Teep kick to control the range of his opponent. You never really see him chopping or round house kicking his opponent.

I am not so sure about that...

I do think that McGregor's takedown defence is probably better than people give him credit for, but he is not going to be able to stuff everything from elite level wrestlers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Yes, he would have.

Mendes wants to take you down, he's gonna take you down.

rob316 wrote: »
    He's a fan of the Teep kick to control the range of his opponent. You never really see him chopping or round house kicking his opponent.

I seem to remember him employing a lot of leg kicks against Diaz in the rematch...may need to watch in back. Also, he can have a habit of kicking high to keep his opponent circling towards his left.

I agree that it is all just for octagon control and range management, but as the teep kick worked well against Mendes could he employ it against Khabib?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I seem to remember him employing a lot of leg kicks against Diaz in the rematch...may need to watch in back. Also, he can have a habit of kicking high to keep his opponent circling towards his left.

I agree that it is all just for octagon control and range management, but as the teep kick worked well against Mendes could he employ it against Khabib?

He kicked the leg with Diaz because that's the basic game plan when fighting Diaz, he doesn't check kicks and places his weight on the front leg.

He did and cracked his foot and walked out on crutches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I don't see him kicking much against Khabib. Mendes caught the teep kick a few times, if Khabib does the same that single leg is all he needs to pull McGregor to the ground.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I don't see him kicking much against Khabib. Mendes caught the teep kick a few times, if Khabib does the same that single leg is all he needs to pull McGregor to the ground.
    Conors teep is more a whip than a push kick.
    He stabs you with his toes, to quote my striking coach. I've been on the receiving end of that kind of teep, gimme a normal one any day of the week.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Conors teep is more a whip than a push kick.
    He stabs you with his toes, to quote my striking coach. I've been on the receiving end of that kind of teep, gimme a normal one any day of the week.

Yeah I agree, but if you watch the Mendes fight back you'll see Mendes catches hold of his foot clean on a number of occasions when Conor was throwing the teep.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Yeah I agree, but if you watch the Mendes fight back you'll see Mendes catches hold of his foot clean on a number of occasions when Conor was throwing the teep.
    Oh I wasn't debating the fact it was caught, just commenting that it's not a normal teep is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I think the Alvarez fight is a better point of reference than the Mendes fight. Conor was quite content to use distance and hard counters with hands only to discourage takedowns, and he only opened up the kicking game in round 2 when he was confident they weren't going to get caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Conor could get bet lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

This is the high-level MMA analysis I come to this thread for boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I'd imagine Khabib is the favourite, McGregor hasn't fought in nearly 2 years (the exhibition boxing match doesn't count)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd imagine Khabib is the favourite, McGregor hasn't fought in nearly 2 years.

And two years ago he made Alvarez look like an amateur in his last fight.
    People are too quick to write McGregor off in all of his fights.
    He thrives on the pressure of being in the ring. Just because he hasn't had an official UFC fight in two years won't really make much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

"I'd imagine Khabib is the favourite" ≠ writing off McGregor ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Effects wrote: »
    And two years ago he made Alvarez look like an amateur in his last fight.
    People are too quick to write McGregor off in all of his fights.
    He thrives on the pressure of being in the ring. Just because he hasn't had an official UFC fight in two years won't really make much difference.

Saying Khabib is the favourite isn't writing McGregor off in the slightest. You can think that Khabib has a better chance of winning while still thinking McGregor has a good chance also.

I feel that its more likely that Khabib wins than McGregor. I also feel that if McGregor wins he could well do so in very impressive fashion like the Alvarez fight. So I am in no way writing off his chances, I just think on balance that Khabib being favourite is justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

im gona go out on a limb here and say one of them will win

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Here's a version of the BossLogic one with a dolly.

kc.jpg

Russian Bear.. ok. Irish Ape? What's that about? Shoulda been a wolfhound or something.

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Russian Bear.. ok. Irish Ape? What's that about? Shoulda been a wolfhound or something.
    SBG's logo has a gorilla on it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement