Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Don't mind the lack of media too much, for me personally he has become too rehearsed and robotic in his media. The man is at his absolute best when replying off the cuff in a dublin accent to jeremy stephens, and those days appear gone.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

VW 1 wrote: »
    Don't mind the lack of media too much, for me personally he has become too rehearsed and robotic in his media. The man is at his absolute best when replying off the cuff in a dublin accent to jeremy stephens, and those days appear gone.

He did a lot of prepared stuff at that conference as well. I assume there will still be at least one press conference for this so hopefully we get to see some gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Does
    McGregor not have to keep away from Khabib, apart from the actual fight, as a condition of his recent court appearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JJayoo wrote: »
    Does
    McGregor not have to keep away from Khabib, apart from the actual fight, as a condition of his recent court appearance?

Nope, not Khabib only Michael Chiesa and Ray Borg. I'd guess because they have legal action to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

cletus wrote: »
    [pedantism]moot point. A debatable question, an issue open to argument; also, an irrelevant question, a matter of no importance.[/pedantism]

It was an egg corn, a la Adam & Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Anyone seen these rumours flying around about Conor refusing to do media stuff for the fight? Real bummer if so, I for one want to see acrimonious pressers :D

Shows how far things have come since 200 though, if Conor is now able to call some of the shots on that.

I'm not upset tbh. His promotional personality is grating at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I'm not upset tbh. His promotional personality is grating at the best of times.

It was great when it was heartfelt off the cuff trash talking.

I despise the rehearsed lines, like the entire Floyd thing was cringe it was so stiff and rehearsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

jcd5971 wrote: »

I despise the rehearsed lines, like the entire Floyd thing was cringe it was so stiff and rehearsed.

That was a weird press conference setup as well though, where they were walking around taking turns shouting at eachother. Floyd's "Yeaaaa-ugh!" stuff was equally cringey. UFC presser format is far more conducive to genuine lulz in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

jcd5971 wrote: »

That was a weird press conference setup as well though, where they were walking around taking turns shouting at eachother. Floyd's "Yeaaaa-ugh!" stuff was equally cringey. UFC presser format is far more conducive to genuine lulz in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Is Conor moving his camp over to Vegas anytime around now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Any ideas as to when conor is heading stateside for the rest of his camp

Isn’t he usually set up over there this close to a fight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

It must be in the next day or so. I seen JK post about it on Sunday after the AI Final 'Now for Vegas' or something along those lines.

Follow Mike Dolce on Instagram or Facebook and you might get an idea too. He has been in Ireland for the last week doing Conor's food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Whelo79 wrote: »
    It must be in the next day or so. I seen JK post about it on Sunday after the AI Final 'Now for Vegas' or something along those lines.

Follow Mike Dolce on Instagram or Facebook and you might get an idea too. He has been in Ireland for the last week doing Conor's food.

No George Lockhart this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

dulux99 wrote: »
    No George Lockhart this time?

Sorry my error, it is Lockhart. I just got the two confused.

He is obviously keeping his camp in Dublin until later than usual. I get the feeling he does not have a great relationship with the UFC at the moment and it's one way of keeping his distance, figuratively and literally.

He doesn't look great in any photo i've seen. Has an unwell look about him, the same funny skin colour and unhealthy hair/beard he had back at 189.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Any pic I've seen has been just after a training session where he's dripping in sweat and looks bolloxed, I'd hardly be too worried about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Not sure the UFC will be giving him any mansions this time around, I'd say he is on his own like any other fighter. I'm sure he will get good treatment however at the Performance Institute.

All he needs is a few good lines in a presser and there will be weeks of press excitement selling the PPV, roll on fight week.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    All he needs is a few good lines in a presser and ...

I thought he'd leave that till after the fight no?..would he not be being tested and stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Don’t think he’s been looking great in recent pics either. Looks very lean already.

Interesting point someone made to me was that he prob aware that he not going to win the strength battle so will be looking to get as lean and fit as possible to accentuate the speed advantage he’ll have.

Always dangerous drawing conclusions from pics anyway, most likely just shattered after tough sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Friend of mine runs a private bus company ( partys etc ) said hes been dropping old ladies home near kclub etc and he’s seen conor out 2 or 3 times running , maybe hes trying to rectify the gas tank ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He doesn't look as ripped as past training camp pics but again that really doesn't mean much without context ,
    He could be for any amount of reason's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Looks like he's bought into the in vogue cupping therapy judging by those pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Conor is now 30, wonder will he ever be as ripped again, he may change to allow him to retain levels longer into the fight however I wonder will it affect his ability to KO.

I thought he'd leave that till after the fight no?..would he not be being tested and stuff?

I hadn't even been thinking of that, hopefully it isn't the source of quirky lines, as mentioned a few pages back hopefully overall he has less rehearsed lines and more off the cuff gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

He looks exactly the same as he has the past few years. Any difference is pose, lighting, haircuts etc. He's in his best shape possible w/o the supplements. So funny how you see people commenting on a photo from 2 weeks ago saying he looks massive, best shape ever seen him, then a week later suddenly hes in horrible shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Friend of mine runs a private bus company ( partys etc ) said hes been dropping old ladies home near kclub etc and he’s seen conor out 2 or 3 times running , maybe hes trying to rectify the gas tank ?

Wonder if my time off knee recovery/gastank theory will pan out then.

Does look a little drained in those recent insta snaps, but I wouldn't be reading to much into it. If he has got a cold, rather he had it now than in fight week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Wonder if my time off knee recovery/gastank theory will pan out then.

Does look a little drained in those recent insta snaps, but I wouldn't be reading to much into it. If he has got a cold, rather he had it now than in fight week
    He looks drained cos he's finished training after several hours.

I don't exactly look healthy after 2 hours of BJJ or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I suspect he's going in lighter - maybe low 160's - to maximise one of his primary advantages, namely speed. Also, may provide for some additional endurance in the event of being held down. Cut will also be less draining, hopefully he can be sharp as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I'd love to see him go a few rounds and not get flahed out in the 2nd / 3rd like the Diaz fights.

He has serious cardio issues - looks like he didn't focus on it enough as a young teen. This isn't something you can just pick up overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

I'd love to see him go a few rounds and not get flahed out in the 2nd / 3rd like the Diaz fights.

He has serious cardio issues - looks like he didn't focus on it enough as a young teen. This isn't something you can just pick up overnight.

Yeah hes been only training a few weeks like.

Everyone is built differently, some people will naturally be able to have more stamina than others, then you get the unnatural people who change your perception on what kind of stamina is naturally possible. He doesn't have the best cardio but can still fight on and on which he showed in the mayweather fight, lasted till round 10 yet was breathing heavy in the corner end of round 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Yeah I'd agree with some of the recent media analyses that Conor's cardio issues are often overblown. His body and fighting style is built around fast twitch muscle and explosive reflexes, which saps energy a lot faster compared to lifetime wrestlers who relentlessly chain wrestle or pro boxers who can pile on volume over 12 rounds.

Would also agree that no amount of cardio training he can do can significantly alter his endurance levels. It's all about energy management. He didn't waste a single movement against Eddie, hoping he can do similar this time around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement