Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I'd love to see him go a few rounds and not get flahed out in the 2nd / 3rd like the Diaz fights.

He has serious cardio issues - looks like he didn't focus on it enough as a young teen. This isn't something you can just pick up overnight.
    https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/6/20/17481508/ufc-firas-zahabi-on-why-conor-mcgregor-gasses-out-in-fights-its-partly-genetic-mma-news

Fast twitch muscle fibers part in particular

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd love to see him go a few rounds and not get flahed out in the 2nd / 3rd like the Diaz fights.

He has serious cardio issues - looks like he didn't focus on it enough as a young teen. This isn't something you can just pick up overnight.

http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/648396cc751c730d

It is something you can improve over years though. The first Diaz fight was 2.5 years ago and the second one was only a few months after that. So he has had time to improve since then. A year ago he lasted nearly 30 minutes with Mayweather in a boxing match and he threw 430 punches (332 were power punches). Apparently, he landed more than Pacquiao did against Mayweather. In the second Diaz fight, he threw 322 strikes and landed nearly 200. The second round he threw and landed almost as much as Diaz.

In the third round he either took it off or gassed depending on your interpretation and Diaz threw and landed way more than him. The 4th round Conor came back and threw and landed more than Diaz.

In the 5th round they both threw and landed a lot less than any other round so they were both slowing down a bit.

I still think he could use some work on his cardio but he throws a lot and puts a lot into his punches so it's not necessarily a cardio issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

spix wrote: »
    Yeah hes been only training a few weeks like.
    Good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Good post with the fightmetrics - as the man himself would say, the numbers don't lie.

I don't think cardio will be the defining aspect of any potential L here. If Khabib holds you down for any sustained period, you're liable to gas no matter who you are.

If, as I suspect Khabib has a chin approaching Diaz levels of granite, there's also only so many power punches you can throw before you're done too.

There's an old interview somewhere, where - crazy as it sounds - McGregor says he gets an innate sense of his opponents durability based on their physiology, head size etc. By any estimation, Khabib has a whopper head, hasn't eaten too many shots or done any notable chicken dances, and walked through pretty much everything thrown at him (Barboza's kick while not clean had some power on it). I'd say his durability is largely intact. I suspect he may eat shots like tiramisu.

Edit: also worth considering is that if McG comes in light (he's looking leaner than his WW fights where he was 169 approximately), say 165 for arguments sake, Khabib might have up to 10 pounds on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

This isn't something you can just pick up overnight.

Well hopefully he'll read your post, realise he has a cardio issue and finally do something about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Why would he be going in so light against a monster wrestler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Why would he be going in so light against a monster wrestler?

A bigger, slower monster wrestler.

If he is going in light its a good thing in my opinion. No amount of extra weight would be enough to mitigate khabibs advantages in the clinch. Maximising the speed advantage MIGHT lessen Khabibs chances of getting into clinch range in the first place.

Also, for all the talk that McGregor is more a fast twitch guy than an endurance guy naturally, he is no tyron woodley...he has a naturally lean physique and I think he looked visibly bloated in the fights where he didn't have to cut any or much weight (diaz) rather than looking his natural size.

I think it benefits him to come in a little leaner from a speed and cardio standpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Effects wrote: »
    Well hopefully he'll read your post, realise he has a cardio issue and finally do something about.
    Another beaut. :)

Almost as hilarious as fellas making physique and weight predictions from a filtered Instagram post.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

His serious Cardio issues are MASSIVLEY  over stated,
    He struggled once in the UFC with Cardio first Diaz fight, when he fought at his heaviest weight to date and more crucially from bell one tried to take Diaz head off with every shot,
     Even  a cardio machine like Diaz, Bisping so on don't fight like that and couldn't fight like that and not tire, It was more the case he tired himself out than his cardio being a massive issue,
    Fight v Mayweather its a different sport with a different Cardio level required plus add the pressure and tension of being in that environment for the first time and of course a man with zero boxing experience tired ,
    It take a real pro boxer years and years to work up to being in 12 round fights for a reason, Connor had no experience of this and how to pace himself , Boxer also has less skills to work on than an MMA fighter and for years an years gets more cardio under there belts because of the extra time,
    I'm not a huge Conor fan but I do think his gas tank " ISSUE's " are hugely over stated

• Registered Users Posts: 20,123 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

to be fair to him that mayweather fight should never have been a 12 rounder, it would have been a better spectacle as an 8 round fight,

12 rounds of boxing is a totally different cardio requirement that he would ever have been used to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Cyrus wrote: »
    to be fair to him that mayweather fight should never have been a 12 rounder, it would have been a better spectacle as an 8 round fight,

12 rounds of boxing is a totally different cardio requirement that he would ever have been used to

Mayweather should have ended it in the 4th

Cyrus wrote: »

Why ?
    Conor was showing quicker reflexes than Floyd In the early rounds and was the bigger stronger man,
    Floyd made the right choice to make Connor tire and then pick his moment to walk him down when he knew Connor power and reflex's where gone ,
    In Floyd's head he had around a 98% to 2 % chance of beating Connor with the plan he chose , Why try to finish it early and give Connor more of a chance of winning , It would make zero sense for him not to chose the route with the more probability of success

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Are you serious? Floyd was struggling badly until Conor tired. Its obvious, he was even trying lots of feints but Conor never fell for them and either kept slipping his right hand or kept too far a distance. No way he could have ended in the 4th. Floyd landed a few successive punches in round 6 then went in for the kill but missed 4 punches in a row cause of Conors distance and punch slipping. Even the commentator could feel Floyds struggle saying 'we have to understand he doesn't normally do this'. Conor then came back with some good shots of his own. You can see Floyd slow down alot after that sequence realizing theres no way he can finish him right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

spix wrote:
    Are you serious? Floyd was struggling badly until Conor tired. Its obvious, he was even trying lots of feints but Conor never fell for them and either kept slipping his right hand or kept too far a distance. No way he could have ended in the 4th. Floyd landed a few successive punches in round 6 then went in for the kill but missed 4 punches in a row cause of Conors distance and punch slipping. Even the commentator could feel Floyds struggle saying 'we have to understand he doesn't normally do this'. Conor then came back with some good shots of his own. You can see Floyd slow down alot after that sequence realizing theres no way he can finish him right now.

rubbish, Floyd was coasting just rolling punches the early rounds. he probably let it go a few rounds to make it look like more of a contest to be honest. if he really wanted to he could have ended it in round one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,123 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

froog wrote: »
    rubbish, Floyd was coasting just rolling punches the early rounds. he probably let it go a few rounds to make it look like more of a contest to be honest. if he really wanted to he could have ended it in round one.

i dont think he could have ended it in a round, and i dont think he would have risked trying it either

No he couldn't. Stop and think for a minute. Floyd is a human, he's in a fight, you don't let anything happen, especially someone as experienced as him, if he had that mindset he would not have been 49-0.

Just because his name is Floyd Mayweather people think he could have done whatever he wanted, ridiculous. Instead why don't you actually watch the fight and analyze it. Floyd was struggling and so was Conor. Neither of them were fighting a style that they're best at. Conor wanted Floyd to be backing up, and Floyd wanted Conor to tire himself out as quickly as possible by putting pressure on him and making him throw punches. The fight would've been more interesting if Floyd decided to get into a boxing match with Conor, instead his plan was to walk him down hands up, Conors striking is best at long ranges and Floyd knew that. That's the story of the fight. Floyd took as little risk as possible waiting for Conor to slow down, then he would open up. And most times he attempted to before round 9, he failed.

No he couldn't. Stop and think for a minute. Floyd is a human, he's in a fight, you don't let anything happen, especially someone as experienced as him, if he had that mindset he would not have been 49-0.

Just because his name is Floyd Mayweather people think he could have done whatever he wanted, ridiculous. Instead why don't you actually watch the fight and analyze it. Floyd was struggling and so was Conor. Neither of them were fighting a style that they're best at. Conor wanted Floyd to be backing up, and Floyd wanted Conor to tire himself out as quickly as possible by putting pressure on him and making him throw punches. The fight would've been more interesting if Floyd decided to get into a boxing match with Conor, instead his plan was to walk him down hands up, Conors striking is best at long ranges and Floyd knew that. That's the story of the fight. Floyd took as little risk as possible waiting for Conor to slow down, then he would open up. And most times he attempted to before round 9, he failed.
    Above is true,
    One thing about Floyd is whatever game plan he goes with you can 100% bet your house that its the best way to victory  for him,
    He didn't try get Connor out early cause he knew that gave Connor more of a chance of winning,
    I think people have never seen Floyd fight if they think he can just decide to ko someone in the first few rounds ,There talking rubbish

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

My understanding, and I think that this was covered a hell of a lot on the run up to the fight. Floyd normally takes the first few rounds to figure out his opponent, come up with a plan, then execute the plan.
    The amount of times I heard Brendan Schaub talk about Floyd 'downloading Connor' in the first few rounds has somewhat burned this into my memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Always amazes me that people will on one hand say "Floyd could've/should've done this...." and on the other make out that Floyd was in full control and was toying with McGregor.

Floyd had a good game plan. He waited until Conor tired and then put him away. Conor's cardio "issues" are no secret, half of the participants on this thread are experts in it.

Conor won some of those early rounds, no question. Any fluff added to say that Floyd was "playing around" with Conor is pure fantasy! Mayweather is WAY too smart to be messing around in the early rounds with someone shown to have a magic lights-out button in his left hand.

Above is true,
    One thing about Floyd is whatever game plan he goes with you can 100% bet your house that its the best way to victory for him,
    He didn't try get Connor out early cause he knew that gave Connor more of a chance of winning,
    I think people have never seen Floyd fight if they think he can just decide to ko someone in the first few rounds ,There talking rubbish

It was an obvious gameplan as well. You can see how uncomfortable Conor was when someone walks him down hands up in the Diaz 2 fight. Also guarantee Floyd paid attention to the Chris van heerden sparring. Chris done an interview afterwards saying he was surprised considering Conors size, how easy it was to walk him down.

Conor said in the interview post fight that he wasn't anticipating that gameplan from Floyd but he should have...he should know himself from sparring boxers thats what always happens and there's a few other examples of that happening as well (footage posted by robbie hageman one that springs to mind where he walking conor down hands up)

Hopefully his coaches are on point this time and he learns to throw some powerful punches at someone walking him down hands up so they have to stop doing it, as I wouldn't be surprised at all if Khabib tries the same thing.

• Advertisement

Above is true,
    One thing about Floyd is whatever game plan he goes with you can 100% bet your house that its the best way to victory  for him,
    I think people have never seen Floyd fight if they think he can just decide to ko someone in the first few rounds ,There talking rubbish

It was an obvious gameplan as well. You can see how uncomfortable Conor was when someone walks him down hands up in the Diaz 2 fight. Also guarantee Floyd paid attention to the Chris van heerden sparring. Chris done an interview afterwards saying he was surprised considering Conors size, how easy it was to walk him down.

Conor said in the interview post fight that he wasn't anticipating that gameplan from Floyd but he should have...he should know himself from sparring boxers thats what always happens and there's a few other examples of that happening as well (footage posted by robbie hageman one that springs to mind where he walking conor down hands up)

Hopefully his coaches are on point this time and he learns to throw some powerful punches at someone walking him down hands up so they have to stop doing it, as I wouldn't be surprised at all if Khabib tries the same thing.
    Ye the above is all correct, I think Conor said he didn't expect Floyd to turn into a Mexican , basically meaning he didn't expect Floyd to walk him down

Above is true,

Justo n the last bit, Khabib doesn't have the head movement and reflex's to walk down Conor, Plus Conor wont have boxing gloves on,  Id imagine Khabib gets put to sleep if he tries that with Conor ,
    People have no idea how much better boxer's are at taking shots to the head than MMA fighters, MMA guys don't roll with the shots as well, which is fine cause they have so many other aspects to train they don't have the time a boxer has,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Really wanna unfollow this thread, but really want to be kept in formed of actual news leading up to this actual fight.

Can't fvcking believe people are still discussing the "fight" with Money Mayweather. Jesus I wished I could scrub it from my memory immediately after it finished. If I was still thinking about it this far after I'd seek psychological help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Wonder who the 3rd corner will be in this fight? I'd say i'll most likely be Sergei like the Alvarez fight but could be Danis too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

spix wrote:

ya he wasn't facing a boxer though. it was a novelty fight.

ya he wasn't facing a boxer though. it was a novelty fight.

Would you still consider it a novelty fight if mcgregor mangaged to get more power into that uppercut in the first round and knocked him unconscious :confused:

Lukker- wrote: »
    Wonder who the 3rd corner will be in this fight? I'd say i'll most likely be Sergei like the Alvarez fight but could be Danis too

Isn't it 4 cornermen? Could be kavanagh, roddy, sergei + dillon or his khabib double kosti.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

At no point during Floyds 50th fight against a novice was he "struggling"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

At no point during Floyds 50th fight against a novice was he "struggling"

He lost rounds however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Lukker- wrote: »

Isn't it 4 cornermen? Could be kavanagh, roddy, sergei + dillon or his khabib double kosti.

Diaz 2 Connor Wallace was in the corner as well wasn't he? think in the place of Sergei.

Remember one of the SBG stalwarts (can't remember his name) posted on Instagram about how he was made up to be in the corner or similar and then the team changed the plan at the last minute for Wallace to come in.

Is this the first UFC fight Khabib will have his dad in the corner?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement