Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

spix wrote: »
    1:26 of the 5th round shows that he was struggling. If you feel the need to stomp the ground to try get a reaction out of your opponent, still have to pull your punch and get hurt with a bodyshot counter, you are struggling.

People still think that exhibition was real

Doesn't appear so as Dashon posted the following earlier today on Instagram:
    Seems unusually late to be bringing someone into the camp. Along with his appearance and lack of promotion it suggests they are under pressure and perhaps behind where they should be, he needs every week.

He's had a long time off and might have underestimate how far his baseline fitness had fallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Effects wrote: »
    Maybe her tough upbringing is part of the reason she was affected from being attacked by a mob of psychos?

I know people won't care but a quick Google about PTSD from traumatic events and how a smell, sound, gang of screaming lunatics attack your bus, etc can trigger the fear from those original events. Symptoms can be immediate or happen days, weeks or months later. MMA is controlled voilence. It's the things that happen out of your control can trigger PTSD. Mental illness sucks and it's made worse when people dismiss it as 'ah she looks grand'.

Also, everyone on that bus deserves Conor dollars.

Yeah, but come on man, she gets in the cage and fights for a living! That means she categorically doesn't have PTSD!

Some absolute numbskulls on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

TheMacLife are posting vidoes from UFC 228 (on instagram)open workouts,interviews. are they allowed back in or are they just taking these from the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,852 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, but come on man, she gets in the cage and fights for a living! That means she categorically doesn't have PTSD!

Plenty of people who suffer from mental health issues but also train combat sports would tell you (or not, from fear of being mocked) it's a great outlet for them and one of the few things that actually helps (exercise in general really), as it's their choice to do it. It's when the choice is taken away is when they really suffer.

The mind is a complex thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He's had a long time off and might have underestimate how far his baseline fitness had fallen.

He hasn't been avoiding the gym since the Mayweather fight...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

People still think that exhibition was real

You realise the fight is out there for all to see? TBE was clearly struggling against a 0-0 fighter. It's hard to process I know so lets just pretend he was playing around!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

It's very disingenuous of you to suggest that's what anyone has said, but hey that's what you like to do on here.

My point (and the point of every other poster) is/was that it is very unlikely any PTSD is from this incident alone. I doubt she was a fully functioning member of society with no previous boys off PTSD and this incident has turned her one step away from being a recluse. Which is what her coach has been suggesting. There appeared to be no mention of any other life events which may have attributed to her condition.

Whelo79 wrote: »

It's very disingenuous of you to suggest that's what anyone has said, but hey that's what you like to do on here.

My point (and the point of every other poster) is/was that it is very unlikely any PTSD is from this incident alone. I doubt she was a fully functioning member of society with no previous boys off PTSD and this incident has turned her one step away from being a recluse. Which is what her coach has been suggesting. There appeared to be no mention of any other life events which may have attributed to her condition.

No, no, let's not get this twisted. What you said was:
    Person who gets voluntarily locked into a cage and fight against another human for a living gets PTSD from a dolly being thrown at a bus. It's hard to believe!

You are the one insinuating that the claim is that she got PTSD from the bus incident when you (nor the rest of us) have any idea or understanding of her mental health.

As pointed out above, any number of sensory experiences could trigger an episode, so if someone suffers from PTSD or other similar mental health issues, being in a chaotic situation where a gang is attacking a bus you're in and smashing windows being one such trigger isn't that much of a stretch.

Your point was clearly "she's a tough badass bitch who makes a money from fighting. Therefore this is clearly all bollocks and she couldn't possibly suffer from it". Embarrassingly prehistoric stuff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

PTSD can hot people in different ways with different triggers with different situations.
    I'd say the that she would have had some professionals diagnosing this rather that armchair MMA Fan/Psychologists on forum. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Look lads, no one here knows the ins and outs of what's up wih Rose ,Anything we say is  all just speculation ,
    But fighting a women your own weight in a controlled environment that you have trained for and know the time and the date for is totally different than unexpected and uncontrolled violence in real life, Its not even remotely close,

No, no, let's not get this twisted. What you said was:

You are the one insinuating that the claim is that she got PTSD from the bus incident when you (nor the rest of us) have any idea or understanding of her mental health.

As pointed out above, any number of sensory experiences could trigger an episode, so if someone suffers from PTSD or other similar mental health issues, being in a chaotic situation where a gang is attacking a bus you're in and smashing windows being one such trigger isn't that much of a stretch.

Your point was clearly "she's a tough badass bitch who makes a money from fighting. Therefore this is clearly all bollocks and she couldn't possibly suffer from it". Embarrassingly prehistoric stuff.

Rose's mental health issues are well documented. She has spoke of them numerous times in the past and she should be applauded for her approach with how she deals with it and how she speaks openly about it.

I am not insinuating she got PTSD from the bus incident, her coach is.

“She doesn’t leave her house,” Wittman told Ariel Helwani. “It’s still there. She doesn’t go in public places. When you’re in a public place and there’s people everywhere, you’re going to be like ‘Oh my god, what could happen?’ Like if you’re involved in a 9/11 bombing, it’s gonna be hard to be in a city scenario. Every time you get in an elevator you’re gonna think of it.” - Trevor Witman (Rose's coach)

My opinion is that the dolly/bus incident alone is not the cause of her PTSD. Her PTSD may very well result from other past experiences in her life, and this incident may well have triggered a bout, but it is not the sole blame of any PTSD suffered by Rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

anyone suffering due to the bus incident deserves to get compensated, if they feel they need it

mental health is a bitch and triggers are complex but random nut huggers online defiantly don't get to decide what is/isn't genuine ptsd

and any whole who thinks being a fighter means you couldn't possibly suffer with mental health issues doesn't understand the basics of how the human brain works

He's not insinuating that she got PTSD from the bus incident at all. You have reached that conclusion. What he is alleging is that, in summary, she was traumatised by the incident which, as we know she has mental health issues, is not that much of a stretch. Nobody, anywhere as far as I can see has claimed "Conor gave Rose PTSD"

As for her mental health issues being well documented, her speaking about them and not shying away from talking about is one thing. That is not the same as knowing or understanding her mental health.

hopefully anyone suffering due to the bus incident deserves to get compensated, mental health is a bitch and random nut huggers online defiantly don't get to decide what is/isn't genuine ptsd

Whos' deciding anything? Opinions are being expressed.

I don't see why so many people get their knockers in a twist when someone expresses an opinion that differs from theirs.

Nobody here has been disrespectful to anyone suffering from any mental health illness. Her coaches interview in which he claims she doesn't leave her house since the incident is being questioned. A link to her Inst page was put up in which there are plenty of photos of her outside her house.

Was it a pleasant experience for Rose? No absolutely not. Is it the sole attributing factor to her being a recluse (as her coach is suggesting)? In my opinion no! Does it excuse anything Conor has done? Absolutely not, he is idiotic and he has/will/should pay the price for his actions.

Balanced opinions on this forum are few and far between.

He's not insinuating that she got PTSD from the bus incident at all. You have reached that conclusion. What he is alleging is that, in summary, she was traumatised by the incident which, as we know she has mental health issues, is not that much of a stretch. Nobody, anywhere as far as I can see has claimed "Conor gave Rose PTSD"

As for her mental health issues being well documented, her speaking about them and not shying away from talking about is one thing. That is not the same as knowing or understanding her mental health.

If I have picked up the PTSD issue incorrectly that is my error. It was mentioned elsewhere here.

And yes I agree, nobody can know her exact mental health issues other than probably herself, her psychiatrist and Pat. However, her talking openly about it does give one an insight into aspects of her mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Seems unusually late to be bringing someone into the camp. Along with his appearance and lack of promotion it suggests they are under pressure and perhaps behind where they should be, he needs every week.

Ah yes, Dashon Johnson. Bringing him in is a real panic sign.They obviously want to test McGregors skills against an elite high level fighter, and they had to go to the US to get it at this late stage. (and it has nothing to do with the fact that Dashon has similar height + reach to Khabib)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Lukker- wrote: »
    Ah yes, Dashon Johnson. Bringing him in is a real panic sign.They obviously want to test McGregors skills against an elite high level fighter, and they had to go to the US to get it at this late stage. (and it has nothing to do with the fact that Dashon has similar height + reach to Khabib)

Its more likely that they trust him as a sparring partner rather than being a perfect match for khabib. You got to be careful who you choose when dealing with high profile fighters or they might go off doing interviews with tmz.

spix wrote: »
    Its more likely that they trust him as a sparring partner rather than being a perfect match for khabib. You got to be careful who you choose when dealing with high profile fighters or they might go off doing interviews with tmz.

That too. But my point was, he's got similar physical traits at the very least. (and as a retort to the previous post about him being a panic addition, which makes no sense)

Regardless of skillset, for a fighter like Conor, the best way to get a feel for an opponent and range is to get someone with a similar body type. Allows him to gauge distance etc.

I'd also wager why it's hard to prepare for Conor is that it's hard to find a sparring partner who is 5"9 and has a 74" reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I'm going to have PTSD after going trough the last 6 pages of garbage. Stick that other crap on a different thread. I don't mind if there is no chat or news for weeks. But when you com on and see that amount of rubbish posted it would put you off the form all together.

• Advertisement

I thought the thread would get better once a fight was announced. It actually nosedived even more, which in itself is a feat..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Is there a press conference due for this ?

Or will they wait until after GGG/Canelo in the states

Lukker- wrote: »
    I didn't say anything about the choice of Dashon specifically. I'm talking about the timeline.

3 weeks out from fight week we would expect him to have already moved his camp stateside and he would be pretty close to the time when hard sparring winds down.

Instead he's bringing guys the opposite direction, strongly suggesting he will be in Dublin for at least a few more weeks. Not a peep out of him promotionally (twitter aside). Taking part in group sessions (which again is unusual for him at this point of a camp).

All this stuff - combined with him not looking great, and also combined with his inactivity and antics these past 12 months - points to them being under pressure and likely behind where they want to be in terms of fitness/preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Where is he "not looking great"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Where is he "not looking great"?

Only had a semi in one of the pics rather than his usual full on raging McBoner

I didn't say anything about the choice of Dashon specifically. I'm talking about the timeline.

3 weeks out from fight week we would expect him to have already moved his camp stateside and he would be pretty close to the time when hard sparring winds down.

Instead he's bringing guys the opposite direction, strongly suggesting he will be in Dublin for at least a few more weeks. Not a peep out of him promotionally (twitter aside). Taking part in group sessions (which again is unusual for him at this point of a camp).

All this stuff - combined with him not looking great, and also combined with his inactivity and antics these past 12 months - points to them being under pressure and likely behind where they want to be in terms of fitness/preparation.

Conor changing the camp game maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Anyone around SGB know what wrestler he has brought in ?
    Its very strange to see so little form Conor in the media,
    I don't use it but has he even pout the usual flexing pics on Instagram about being an animal and the like ? ??
    All seems very quite

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I see on insta he is getting inspiration from rocky 4.

So i predict when fight is over the famous quotes about if i can change will be posted.

Firstly - where are you getting that? The fight is a month from today anyways. Most fighters spar right up until fight week, some even spar during fight week. Lots of fighters prefer to do 4 week camps now too as it's easier on the body, so with that, would you expect them to only spar for roughly half the camp?

If your gonna take weird pot shots at him, you should at least try to disguise your bad faith a bit more. It gets really tiresome, and that goes in the opposite direction too for the fanboys. Can we not just have an actual discussion here without some underlying agenda always bubbling to the surface?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I think it points more to him understanding his opponent and keeping the head down to get the win.
    I can't see why people think he doesn't look great. He's training hard, do they expect him to look like the GQ cover he was on?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement