Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Effects wrote: »
    All this stuff - combined with him not looking great, and also combined with his inactivity and antics these past 12 months - points to them being under pressure and likely behind where they want to be in terms of fitness/preparation.

I think it points more to him understanding his opponent and keeping the head down to get the win.
    I can't see why people think he doesn't look great. He's training hard, do they expect him to look like the GQ cover he was on?

I'd say I lean far closer to fanboy than hater and think he looks a bit ill. Just not as perky i suppose and off colour a bit. But three hours deep into an afternoon of wrestling I wouldn't look tip top either.

Did think he'd be by vegas now. Help aclimatize to the time and heat, though maybe it'll be tied into his media stand off and keep the mass media away.

Talking of that he doesn't exactly give MacLife mass exclusives does he. Has he even given one camera interview with them?

I remember he gave SevereMMA a big interview in a fight camp and it was seeet that he gave them the time when they'd been there since the start (know that interviewer works for McGregor/Maclife now)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Where the fcuk is ido portal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

off colour?
    Which colour?
    By the time we see these lads now their promo team has decided what we see.

This business is as fake as any.

If he has not prepared for this he is a fu.king moron, and as much as he tries to portray it i don't think he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I didn't say anything about the choice of Dashon specifically. I'm talking about the timeline.

3 weeks out from fight week we would expect him to have already moved his camp stateside and he would be pretty close to the time when hard sparring winds down.

Instead he's bringing guys the opposite direction, strongly suggesting he will be in Dublin for at least a few more weeks. Not a peep out of him promotionally (twitter aside). Taking part in group sessions (which again is unusual for him at this point of a camp).

All this stuff - combined with him not looking great, and also combined with his inactivity and antics these past 12 months - points to them being under pressure and likely behind where they want to be in terms of fitness/preparation.
    The fight is 30 days away. It's not the norm for sparring to wind down at that point. Dashon has been a sparring partner since before the Mayweather fight. Not sure how he is the "opposite" direction.
    MMA is an individual sport but training for it, for the most part, requires a group of people. That's not unusual.

Your kinda jumping through some weird hoops to get to your conclusion. Moving his camp stateside is something he has done before, but not doinbit is not really indicative of being behind schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

spix wrote: »
    You realise the fight is out there for all to see? TBE was clearly struggling against a 0-0 fighter. It's hard to process I know so lets just pretend he was playing around!

Hahaha, this is my favourite post in this whole thread now. Amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Ah yeah lads he's in horrible shape, looks like he just got off the couch....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnZr-G2gHjC/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=12eduvthln04d

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

ASOT wrote: »

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnZr-G2gHjC/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=12eduvthln04d

His colour is a bit off too

Mellor wrote: »
    The fight is 30 days away. It's not the norm for sparring to wind down at that point.
    Fight week is 3 weeks away and the camp is finished by then. I said we are getting close to the point where hard sparring winds down. At various points elbows are remove, hard shots to the heads are removed etc. We can't be far from that point.
    Dashon has been a sparring partner since before the Mayweather fight. Not sure how he is the "opposite" direction.
    Opposite direction meaning we would have expected Conor to relocate from from Ireland to US soon, but a sparring partner just announced he's travelling from US to Ireland in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

bmcc10 wrote: »
    His colour is a bit off too

Looks sad as well, maybe the pressure of being so behind is getting to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

ASOT wrote: »

Jaysus if I looked that bad I'd be getting myself to a doctor asap...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Gintonious wrote: »

You have a favourite post, now heres a favourite photo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Gintonious wrote: »

This really is bottom of the barrel stuff.

Well, I got to even things out a bit with all the "could've stopped him in the first round if he wanted to" bs even though the fight already took place and it was stopped in the 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You know Conor would have won the first Diaz fight except he had a chest infection, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Dont know how some MMA journalists think this will be the biggest fight ever ( Helwani )

Casual fans have no clue about it one month out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Dont know how some MMA journalists think this will be the biggest fight ever ( Helwani )

I completely agree. Now, in saying that, the first diaz fight had very little buildup and was a huge success but that all depended on some wild buildup in the week before it.

Casual fans follow instagrams they dont watch ufc press conferences. So they definitely know about it.

Casual fans follow instagrams they dont watch ufc press conferences. So they definitely know about it.

Thanks for that - however i didnt mean it in the literal sense and thought not one casual fan would know about it.

Just not enough to be the biggest fight of all time like Helwani has hashtagged numerous times

Thanks for that - however i didnt mean it in the literal sense and thought not one casual fan would know about it.

Just not enough to be the biggest fight of all time like Helwani has hashtagged numerous times

I don't see any reason why it couldn't do more than ppv buys than any previous ufc card. It already has alot more promotional material than 196/202. How do you know how many casual fans know about it, are we talking irish casual fans who dont even count towards ppv buys? Mcgregor vs Khabib has been covered on major us tv channels/news sites the past few months because of the court case.

I don't see any reason why it couldn't do more than ppv buys than any previous ufc card. It already has alot more promotional material than 196/202. How do you know how many casual fans know about it, are we talking irish casual fans who dont even count towards ppv buys? Mcgregor vs Khabib has been covered on major us tv channels/news sites the past few months because of the court case.

You are taking this way too serious . I dont think it will be the biggest ppv of all time . You do .

Basing it off the fact there hasnt been any real buzz yet ( IMO ) . The fact boxing will do over 1million ppvs 3 weeks before . I just dont think it will sell near enough to be the biggest fight of all time . I dont think it will get near 2 million

• Advertisement

You are taking this way too serious . I dont think it will be the biggest ppv of all time . You do .

Basing it off the fact there hasnt been any real buzz yet ( IMO ) . The fact boxing will do over 1million ppvs 3 weeks before . I just dont think it will sell near enough to be the biggest fight of all time . I dont think it will get near 2 million

It only seems like the buzz isn't there because there's been less press conferences than usual to keep excitement up. That wont impact sales at all though cause you can be sure there will be serious buzz come fight week, even if weigh ins are the first time they face off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I don't think international advertising is anywhere near what it should be in general with the UFC. Seen some footage of Vegas the other day and advertising for the fight is everywhere there. Huge screens constantly advertising it.

Maybe with the time difference they just don't feel spending money advertising in Europe would be worth it.

Different era too though. Look at the GGG Canelo II fight, in the 90's they'd have relied on boxers going in chat shows and mainstream news covering press conferences to generate interest but it's mostly all on social media these days.

If Tyson was fighting back in the day everybody knew whether they liked boxing or not. There's very little spill over now compared to back then. Could be a huge fight on these days and only those interested in it will tend to know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Just stop. Please. It’s embarrassing.

akelly02 wrote: »
    Just stop. Please. It’s embarrassing.

Its only a few snaps from the fight? Whats the problem :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Not even close to the bottom ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I don't think international advertising is anywhere near what it should be in general with the UFC. Seen some footage of Vegas the other day and advertising for the fight is everywhere there. Huge screens constantly advertising it.

Maybe with the time difference they just don't feel spending money advertising in Europe would be worth it.

Different era too though. Look at the GGG Canelo II fight, in the 90's they'd have relied on boxers going in chat shows and mainstream news covering press conferences to generate interest but it's mostly all on social media these days.

If Tyson was fighting back in the day everybody knew whether they liked boxing or not. There's very little spill over now compared to back then. Could be a huge fight on these days and only those interested in it will tend to know about it.

I started off replying to your post and was going to jokingly suggest McGregor should go on the Late Late

But then it dawned on me – one Late Late appearance tonight would send Ireland in particular into overdrive amongst the non-MMA fans in the country. It’d be gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Its only a few snaps from the fight? Whats the problem :rolleyes:

He lost the fight, who cares, it was a money making venture. Nothing more. He could never beat Floyd and anyone thinking otherwise is deluded.

And just cause you like pictures so much:
    Conor-McGregor-Floyd-Mayweather-Fight-Showtime-933x400.jpg

Effects wrote: »
    He lost the fight, who cares, it was a money making venture. Nothing more. He could never beat Floyd and anyone thinking otherwise is deluded.

And just cause you like pictures so much:

The very first punch of the fight

dinlh71wsaacqjh_1503812551.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Will yis ever grow up and stop measuring dicks. It’s torture trudging through this crap again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Can we start the Conor/Floyd talk from the beginning again ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement