Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

spix wrote: »
    You have a favourite post, now heres a favourite photo

Amazing stuff, keep up the great work mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Gintonious wrote: »
    Amazing stuff, keep up the great work mate.

Ask and you shall receive :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

i thought with the schools all back the kids posting might slow down this week but it seams its got worse

why the hell is this bloody boxing match still been talked about ? it was terrible / boring fight , can we just forget about it ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You realise the fight is out there for all to see? TBE was clearly struggling against a 0-0 fighter. It's hard to process I know so lets just pretend he was playing around!

There was no struggle

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Ask and you shall receive :p

Hahaha, you really are making a very strong point man, I am slowly being convinced.

Please, keep going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The very first punch of the fight

Do you win boxing matches by throwing the first punch?
    If you don't then your post is worthless.

No one cares about that fight anymore. He's made his money and now back fighting where he's supposed to be. Where he can actually win the fight.

Effects wrote: »

No one cares about that fight anymore. He's made his money and now back fighting where he's supposed to be. Where he can actually win the fight.

It does seem like alot of people care, I'm only replying to a conversation others started. People keep replying to me so I keep replying back. If anyone wants the mayweather talk to stop, then theres an easy way to end the conversation, don't reply.

You can actually win by landing the first punch. That early in the fight, mayweather would've been on his A game as he hadn't yet felt mcgregors punching power, mcgregor still managed to land his very first punch straight through the gloves. Apparently Floyd is hard to land punches on too. I find those early rounds by mcgregor much more impressive than anything Floyd done in the fight. He only had real success when his 0-0 opponent was already struggling with this stamina for seveal rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fight week is 3 weeks away and the camp is finished by then. I said we are getting close to the point where hard sparring winds down. At various points elbows are remove, hard shots to the heads are removed etc. We can't be far from that point.

Opposite direction meaning we would have expected Conor to relocate from from Ireland to US soon, but a sparring partner just announced he's travelling from US to Ireland in the coming days.
    I highly doubt Dashon is going to be throwing elbows. He'd be much better technically, that he'd be a huge asset in technical sparring not lamping hard headshots.
    And as I said, Conor relocated to Vegas was an option he's allowed himself in the past. It's my no means the expected thing. Keeping camp in one location is pretty normal. I expect he'd move over in 2 weeks.

Mellor wrote: »
    I highly doubt Dashon is going to be throwing elbows. He'd be much better technically, that he'd be a huge asset in technical sparring not lamping hard headshots.
    And as I said, Conor relocated to Vegas was an option he's allowed himself in the past. It's my no means the expected thing. Keeping camp in one location is pretty normal. I expect he'd move over in 2 weeks.

I have some doubts conor has been doing any real hard sparring for this camp at all, let alone getting elbowed. All the sparring photos he's shown so far have been without headgear. There's no way kavanagh would let him spar without headgear. Hopefully there is some real hard sparring going on so it wont be a shock to his system if khabib lands a good punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

I have some doubts conor has been doing any real hard sparring for this camp at all, let alone getting elbowed. All the sparring photos he's shown so far have been without headgear. There's no way kavanagh would let him spar without headgear. Hopefully there is some real hard sparring going on so it wont be a shock to his system if khabib lands a good punch.

Jesus christ. Are people actually questionning how serious Conor is taking this fight and if his training camp is up to standards?

This is a man who has held world titles in multiple divisions and has beaten some of the best. You really think he is messing around with this fight?

• Advertisement

Jesus christ. Are people actually questionning how serious Conor is taking this fight and if his training camp is up to standards?

This is a man who has held world titles in multiple divisions and has beaten some of the best. You really think he is messing around with this fight?

He's obviously taking it serious wrestling/jujitsu wise but perhaps he wants to limit head contact to the actual fight. It's just highly unlikely he's doing hard sparring without headgear, could be some sparring he hasn't posted photos from but all he's posted have been without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

He hasn’t posted any pictures of him eating either. That might explain the off colour issues. Pure lack of broccoli

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

clsmooth wrote: »
    He hasn’t posted any pictures of him eating either. That might explain the off colour issues. Pure lack of broccoli

He hasn't posted a picture if him taking a shít either. Poor bastard must be seriously constipated.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads enough of the juvenile nonsense. Start having some proper discussion or just do everyone a favour and don't post at all if you don't have anything constructive to add to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

I still think the fight can do 2m + buys

Fight week will be insane in the attention ot gets. Throw in the INTENSE 'these two really don't like each other' BEEF that casuals love and maybe an incident and you're on every media cycle (i expect it to be on every sports cycle anyways).

a media day with Conor around now would have been nice if he was in Vegas to stoke the fires but seems not happening. The world tour for MayMac while very hit and miss definitely helped buys.

But yeah i think the fight has already got 1m people who will be buying it in the US. Just getting the message over to the other more casual sports fans

It seems I was wrong about the event being PPV in the UK too. Really surprised but maybe sour relations with BT/UFC and neither wanted to help each other out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

You can win the 145lb world mma title with 1 punch
    From an undefeated 10 year champion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You can actually win by landing the first punch.
    But he didn't win by landing the first punch. He lost in the tenth round. He lost the fight. Lost.

You can win the 145lb world mma title with 1 punch

I think you're confused. We're talking about the first punch in a fight and the weight of it's meaning. Conor didn't with the title with his first punch.

I'm an idiot for even replying to these posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

I'm an idiot for even replying the these posts

You said it

Has the full card been decided on yet for definite?

But he didn't win by landing the first punch. He lost in the tenth round. He lost the fight. Lost.

I think you're confused. We're talking about the first punch in a fight and the weight of it's meaning. Conor didn't with the title with his first punch.

I'm an idiot for even replying the these posts.

Yes I know he lost.

You said "Do you win boxing matches by throwing the first punch? " Not that he didn't. It is however possible to win with 1 punch and that first exchange was one of many in the fight where mcgregor got the best of mayweather, someone known for making the best boxers in the world look like trash. Funny how everyone who actually knows boxing, the pros, the commentators had nothing but good things to say about mcgregors performance yet the only things you read on this Irish forum are negative.

• Advertisement

how.gareth wrote: »
    Has the full card been decided on yet for definite?

http://uk.ufc.com/event/UFC-229

looks pretty full

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

So petis v McGregor

Jack Moore wrote: »
    So petis v McGregor

As long as it’s mcgregor v someone I’ll be happy

My concerns are more about everything leading up to the camp.

What's he done in the last year?
    -No fights
    -Hopped the cage at Bellator and slapped an official
    -Rumours of pub assault with crime figure (did this happen? I have no idea)
    -Smashed the bus, spent the night in prison
    -Stress from these charges hanging over him for months (plus lawsuits still pending?)
    -Plenty of partying, relaxing, eating
    -$50m in the bank, must be very hard to get out of bed and train consistently

He looks to have about a 7-8 week camp (+ fight week). Ordinarily - if you're already in good shape - this is fine, but coming off a year like his I think it's not a lot of time. He's come into camp out of shape and that puts him behind where he would normally be at every stage of camp.

This is what I mean by under pressure - not to suggest that he is not always under pressure. They're behind schedule, that's why he's not doing media, its why he cancelled the relocation to Vegas, it's why late in the camp he is flying in more sparring partners. It's why he looks out of sorts...people can laugh away but he doesn't look in great shape imo. (away from boards a lot of people think the same)

Leading into a fight, these kind of factors - inactivity, partying, legal issues etc - are all very relevant and many times have a bearing on the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

-Stress from these charges hanging over him for months (plus lawsuits still pending?)

LOL, he was never even remotely stressed about any of that, lawyers would have had him informed immediately of what to expect.

He looks to have about a 7-8 week camp (+ fight week). Ordinarily - if you're already in good shape - this is fine, but coming off a year like his I think it's not a lot of time. He's come into camp out of shape and that puts him behind where he would normally be at every stage of camp.
    He hasn't exactly become a fatty, he was still in the gym fairly regularly training, just wasn't in a fight camp. He never let himself get out of shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

I'm an idiot for even replying the these posts.

I'm not confused. McGregor threw 1 punch at aldo and won the title

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I'm not confused. McGregor threw 1 punch at aldo and won the title

Wrong. Two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Wrong. Two.

First exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

My concerns are more about everything leading up to the camp.

What's he done in the last year?
    -No fights
    -Hopped the cage at Bellator and slapped an official
    -Rumours of pub assault with crime figure (did this happen? I have no idea)
    -Smashed the bus, spent the night in prison
    -Plenty of partying, relaxing, eating
    -$50m in the bank, must be very hard to get out of bed and train consistently

This is what I mean by under pressure - not to suggest that he is not always under pressure. They're behind schedule, that's why he's not doing media, its why he cancelled the relocation to Vegas, it's why late in the camp he is flying in more sparring partners. It's why he looks out of sorts...people can laugh away but he doesn't look in great shape imo. (away from boards a lot of people think the same)

Leading into a fight, these kind of factors - inactivity, partying, legal issues etc - are all very relevant and many times have a bearing on the outcome.

Floyd Mayweather had hundreds in millions in the bank and still got up every morning to train harder than anyone else. It's a winners mentality.

You are talking crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Autochange wrote: »
    First exchange.

That's not what was said. :confused:

Also McGregor threw a thigh kick.

Not first punch, that's for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement