Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

14murphy wrote: »
    Do you think its possible to get around all the problems that surround an event like that taking place here in Ireland? I think it would be incredibly difficult.

Of course. Anything is possible.
    And if the UFC are presented with an irish stadium fight vs nothing, then why wouldn’t they go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Of course. Anything is possible.
    And if the UFC are presented with an irish stadium fight vs nothing, then why wouldn’t they go with it.

Yeh, of course anything is possible. I just think with the **** storm that was the Garth Brooks saga, time difference, weather other ****e it could be a disaster. However if Conor says Croker or nothing not really much they can do bar bow down to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

I think Conor won't want a Croke fight with how it would affect event revenues - both gate and the change of PPV times would eat into his pay cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

I think Conor won't want a Croke fight with how it would affect event revenues - both gate and the change of PPV times would eat into his pay cheque.

Would tax come into play here also. I could be wrong but is the income tax in Nevada lower compared to here ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

14murphy wrote: »
    Would tax come into play here also. I could be wrong but is the income tax in Nevada lower compared to here ?

He is probably an Irish resident for tax purposes so it's a bit more complicated than that. I imagine income tax doesn't even come into it as he would be probably get paid through a company as a contractor or something like that.

• Advertisement

Would he not be past caring about that though?
    I don’t think it will be just money that will be the motivating factor to get him back into the ring

He wanted croke park from day one. This is the perfect opportunity and he should be able to say it’s Croke or nothing.

He’s all about iconic imagery. Could you imagine him walking out in Croker. Boom!!!

Would he not be past caring about that though?
    I don’t think it will be just money that will be the motivating factor to get him back into the ring

He wanted croke park from day one. This is the perfect opportunity and he should be able to say it’s Croke or nothing.

He’s all about iconic imagery. Could you imagine him walking out in Croker. Boom!!!

Suppose it depends on whats in his account right now (with his investments and taxation and his spending habits) it'll still be sitting pretty but its a fair do to just snub an extra couple of mill

It would be incredible at Croke and an ambition ticked but yeah I just see money ruling at this point - all his advisors will be % cuts and they'll be pushing in one direction

• Registered Users Posts: 39,433 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Artem was knocked out of the TUF season in the first episode. There was a big fuss made by Conor about only agreeing to do it if one of the SBG fighters was in it. So suddenly after over 10 seasons the rules changed and each coach was allowed bring one of the defeated fighters back. Had never happened before, wasn’t announced as part of the new season.
    How does Conor getting Artem back on to the show equate to Conor wanting to steal the spotlight? You aren't makes no sense tbh.

If anything he helped Artem out by getting him back (if that actually happened). Which contradicts the point you are trying to back up, and actually back up my point.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

His sister just finished her set on strictly. She was as stiff as a board.

Well she must have done something right, according to twitter shes was the top person this week and the highest points of the series so far..maybe you arent the ballroom dancing aficionado you thought you were :pac:

There's been plenty of seasons where they brought someone back who was defeated in the first episode, can't remember if it's ever been announced as it's been so long since I watched them. What does it have to do with him hogging the limelight and needing to be the centre of attention?

Just to clarify on the whole TUF thing - ignoring the whole statement about limelight etc for a minute as it had nothing to do with that and the statement makes no sense. The difference this time was it wasnt to do with injury. Normally if they bring someone back its because a fighter in the later rounds cant fight due to injury so somone gets a call back.

This time Dana let each coach bring back a losing fighter from the first round of fights...Conor obviously brought Artem back but the other twist was in the next round of fights Dana would get rid of the least impressive fighter of the winners. They have made regular changes the last few seasons to change things up from the stale format considering that was season 22 of the show (a lot more than the 10 seasons suggested). Artem went on a winning streak all the way to the finale which he lost to Ryan Hall who was a replacement for Saul Rogers due to visa issues. Saul trained in SBG Manchester so it would have been an all SBG final had they fought.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Axwell wrote: »
    Just to clarify on the whole TUF thing - ignoring the whole statement about limelight etc for a minute as it had nothing to do with that and the statement makes no sense. The difference this time was it wasnt to do with injury. Normally if they bring someone back its because a fighter in the later rounds cant fight due to injury so somone gets a call back.

This time Dana let each coach bring back a losing fighter from the first round of fights...Conor obviously brought Artem back but the other twist was in the next round of fights Dana would get rid of the least impressive fighter of the winners. They have made regular changes the last few seasons to change things up from the stale format considering that was season 22 of the show (a lot more than the 10 seasons suggested). Artem went on a winning streak all the way to the finale which he lost to Ryan Hall who was a replacement for Saul Rogers due to visa issues. Saul trained in SBG Manchester so it would have been an all SBG final had they fought.

They've had a wildcard in a few seasons and the wildcard wasn't there to replace an injured fighter, it was just another person they bring into the house.

They've had a wildcard in a few seasons and the wildcard wasn't there to replace an injured fighter, it was just another person they bring into the house.

Possibly so but that was the first time it was done the way it was above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mellor wrote: »
    How does Conor getting Artem back on to the show equate to Conor wanting to steal the spotlight? You aren't makes no sense tbh.

If anything he helped Artem out by getting him back (if that actually happened). Which contradicts the point you are trying to back up, and actually back up my point.

It makes it the Conor McGregor show rather than TUF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Khabib v Tony in April for the title and assuming Conor get stripped like Dana said he would...

Khabib wins then its Conor v Khabib in Russia in September.

Khabib loses then Conor v Khabib for a shot at Tony and the belt.

Khabib v Tony in April for the title and assuming Conor get stripped like Dana said he would...

Dana said last night that if he is stripped, he'll be give a title shot as soon as he returns.

It makes it the Conor McGregor show rather than TUF.
    That season of TUF was billed as Team McGregor's v Faber. It was the McGregor show regardless.
    Conor asking to bring back a fighter happened off camera (if it happened at all). If he blew up and demanded it on screen, maybe, MAYBE, it could be called attention seeking. But claim he did it to try steal a non-existent spotlight is bizarre.
    I actually don't think your serious, nobody could be that salty.

I can't see them wasting Conor v Khabib on a non title fight.

Tony wins
    Tony v Conor on the big July card.
    Winner vrs Khabib in Russia in September.

Timing works perfectly around Ramadan. I'd say Tony winning is their preferred outcome if they go that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I was absolutely convinced right up until they started doing press conferences that the Mayweather fight wouldn't happen and looked pretty foolish.

I'm even more convinced an Irish stadium fight will never happen and am prepared to look even more foolish. Too much money down the drain for it to be worthwhile. If it comes to a choice between $$$ or the adoration of a home crowd, McGregor will pick the $$$ every time. Rightly so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I was absolutely convinced right up until they started doing press conferences that the Mayweather fight wouldn't happen and looked pretty foolish.

I'm even more convinced an Irish stadium fight will never happen and am prepared to look even more foolish. Too much money down the drain for it to be worthwhile. If it comes to a choice between $$$ or the adoration of a home crowd, McGregor will pick the $$$ every time. Rightly so too.

I wonder though is the loss of PPVs by an earlier start time overstated.

There was an NFL quarter-final on Saturday at about 10pm Irish time. I'm sure it had huge viewing figures in the US. A similar time for a MGregor fight in Ireland would be very doable, and while it might not hit the very highest PPV in the US, I'm sure it would do reasonably well such that the loss would not be catastrophic.

I'm even more convinced an Irish stadium fight will never happen and am prepared to look even more foolish. Too much money down the drain for it to be worthwhile. If it comes to a choice between $$ or the adoration of a home crowd, McGregor will pick the $$ every time. Rightly so too.

There was an NFL quarter-final on Saturday at about 10pm Irish time. I'm sure it had huge viewing figures in the US. A similar time for a MGregor fight in Ireland would be very doable, and while it might not hit the very highest PPV in the US, I'm sure it would do reasonably well such that the loss would not be catastrophic.

You could well have hit the nail on the head there though - the timing would have much greater competition with whatever other sports are on at that time in the US. I'm sure there are odd weekends where there are little sport - but I'd guess their schedules on Saturday afternoons are packed with the big 4 sports and college football.

McGregor being stripped is the right thing to do, but dont the UFC have a champions clause for renewal in contracts? I think McGregor is still on the same UFC deal that he signed prior to the Aldo fight.

I can't remember which journalist said it, but seem to recall McGregor demanded say X amount for his new deal - and the UFC met it, so they basically thought sh*t we've undersold ourselves here and asked for more again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Plus the issue of getting the nimbys in the area of Croke Park to agree to the timing of such an event and the traffic/people in the area.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Plus the issue of getting the nimbys in the area of Croke Park to agree to the timing of such an event and the traffic/people in the area.

I don't think that's an issue once its a sport taking place. AFAIR when the Garth Brooks debacle was happening some people were asking how come an American Football college game could go ahead if all of the other designated spots were used up. It came out that once its a sport, you don't need a special designation like you do for a concert as its a sports ground.

That's only a hazy recollection but I'm sure its correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I don't think that's an issue once its a sport taking place. AFAIR when the Garth Brooks debacle was happening some people were asking how come an American Football college game could go ahead if all of the other designated spots were used up. It came out that once its a sport, you don't need a special designation like you do for a concert as its a sports ground.

That's only a hazy recollection but I'm sure its correct.

But you do for the time that it would be held at

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Yeah my feeling would be that the objections would be due to the timing of the event and the perceived type of crowd that would attend it.

Neither should be listened to of course, but those residents can make noise when they want to.

I'm even more convinced an Irish stadium fight will never happen and am prepared to look even more foolish. Too much money down the drain for it to be worthwhile. If it comes to a choice between $$ or the adoration of a home crowd, McGregor will pick the $$ every time. Rightly so too.

The difference is that NFL have been played at that hour of the day (and earlier) for decades. Saturday football only exists in the postseason - most of the time it's on a Sunday and you'll have about 9 straight hours of it. 10pm Irish time on a Saturday is 2pm in LA. People are not going to fork out for PPVs at that hour of the day.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Yeah my feeling would be that the objections would be due to the timing of the event and the perceived type of crowd that would attend it.

Neither should be listened to of course, but those residents can make noise when they want to.
    Why shouldn't they be listened to? The residents have plenty of valid concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The difference is that NFL have been played at that hour of the day (and earlier) for decades. Saturday football only exists in the postseason - most of the time it's on a Sunday and you'll have about 9 straight hours of it. 10pm Irish time on a Saturday is 2pm in LA. People are not going to fork out for PPVs at that hour of the day.

Why tho
    I mean what time is the championship final on at
    What time are we playing England onnpaddys day
    What time is Wembley every year ? Why does mma have to be on late ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Tigger wrote: »
    Why tho
    I mean what time is the championship final on at
    What time are we playing England onnpaddys day
    What time is Wembley every year ? Why does mma have to be on late ?

Because it's pay per view. Boxing never on during the day either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Dana said last night that if he is stripped, he'll be give a title shot as soon as he returns.

This is beyond ridiculous at this point. He's not injured so there's no reason for him to not fight before Sept.

He should never get a title shot again unless he shows he's willing to actually start defending them. No more holding divisions hostage.

Strip and let him sod off into obscurity already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 EdwardC

I'm even more convinced an Irish stadium fight will never happen and am prepared to look even more foolish. Too much money down the drain for it to be worthwhile. If it comes to a choice between $ or the adoration of a home crowd, McGregor will pick the $ every time. Rightly so too.

I am born and raised in L.A.  I don't think it would be that big of a deal.  We have lots of weekend bbq's, drink beer, watch games.  The people I know, would watch.  Hell, we'd love it.  IMO, it would be easier than staying up late and having to go to work the next day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement