Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    One thing that stands out from watching more of Khabib, he just walks through shots to close the gap.
    It got me thinking to Mayweather and how tough he was and just took shots from McGregor and didn't appear to stop his momentum.

The stand up side isn't going to be one sided at all if Khabib can absorb big shots from Conor.
    Huge difference with boxing gloves on, Easier to protect yourself with them and harder to connect right where you want to because there bigger, Plus Floyd boxed everyday since he was 6 knows how to take a shot ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

One thing that stands out from watching more of Khabib, he just walks through shots to close the gap.
    It got me thinking to Mayweather and how tough he was and just took shots from McGregor and didn't appear to stop his momentum.

The stand up side isn't going to be one sided at all if Khabib can absorb big shots from Conor.

Not sure the boxing match can be relevant in this case? However you could point to Nate coming forward.

Aldo was coming forward and Conor was able to get enough power and accuracy to get the KO.

Its a fascinating battle.... Roll on October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Perfect example

Some people you just have to learn to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Not sure the boxing match can be relevant in this case? However you could point to Nate coming forward.

Aldo was coming forward and Conor was able to get enough power and accuracy to get the KO.

Its a fascinating battle.... Roll on October.

Plus, Nate's skull is adamatium or something harder. He's not a great comparison for gauging the power of Conors shots ha.

It's also not just about the power of the shot, it doesn't actually take that much power to knock you out if the shot lands in the right place

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Watching the barboza fight again, Khabib cannot come at Conor like that.
    If he's that sloppy, in that range against Mcgregor he'll be picked apart.
    The closer it gets the more I think we're going to have another Alvarez performance on our hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

My concern isn't the distance striking its if khabib walks him forward hands up, conor has to put more power into his shots in close range, that video he posted recently isn't a good sign imo. The first punch he threw to the head was alot like ones he kept doing in the mayweather fight. Needs to put more power into it in order to get respect and stop his opponent wanting to stick close to him. You can tell just by this screenshot that he's not putting alot into that punch, its just a short arm punch. Hopefully its just because its sparring but he did do alot of arm punching in close range in the mayweather fight. He has the ability to throw bigger punches in close range as he's done it in his earlier fights, could be a bad habit hes picked up along the years or just bad coaching/too much yes men who don't just tell him to put more into the punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think you are reading way too much in a clip of him messing around on Instagram. This isn't a secret fly on the wall inside the camp, it's purposely chosen clip. Side stepping, hands behind the back, he's presenting a carefree approach. The reality is obviously different.

As an example, look at the focus backstage prior to the Aldo fight verses the game's he was playing leading up.

Mellor wrote: »
    I think you are reading way too much in a clip of him messing around on Instagram. This isn't a secret fly on the wall inside the camp, it's purposely chosen clip. Side stepping, hands behind the back, he's presenting a carefree approach. The reality is obviously different.

As an example, look at the focus backstage prior to the Aldo fight verses the game's he was playing leading up.

He done alot of arm punching in the mayweather fight though, that was reality. He admitted after the fight he needed to work on how he fights someone who walks him down hands up, I just hope they actually worked on that and he can get more power into his close range punches. Mayweather kept walking him down because 90% of the punches mcgregor were throwing in close range were arm punches. He landed a few good ones but majority were just to score rather than to hurt. Khabib will do the same thing if there haven't been improvements there. If khabib gets close he has to hurt him, not tip tap or he'll get ran over.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

Are people really that stupid?? Do you honestly believe any of these few second clips McGregor is posting are representitive of how he is really approaching the fight?

Its harder to walk someone down with smaller gloves on, not sure that is relevant he was probably talking about if he boxed again.

• Advertisement

Are people really that stupid?? Do you honestly believe any of these few second clips McGregor is posting are representitive of how he is really approaching the fight?

Its not the approach, its the punching technique. If he punches khabib like that in close range it's not going to be a good idea, he needs to make khabib respect him and doing a short arm punch will not achieve that. That also could be an approach though, john kavanagh seems to have a new slogan, step by step. The sequel to win or learn, coming soon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Being happy to constantly land punches on someones guard is a common, flawed pattern against an aggressive, moving forward fighter.

Its harder to walk someone down with smaller gloves on, not sure that is relevant he was probably talking about if he boxed again.

You achieve the same thing, hands and arms covering your face just a bit less due to smaller gloves. A good defense to someone whos best punch is a straight punch. I really just hope mcgregor is prepared for khabib literally charging at him from the first second, otherwise he's in trouble. Khabib has good coaches and fighters giving him advice, they won't want him to give mcgregor any space to setup counters and pressure has already been proven to be mcgregors weakness. It'd be stupid to think his plan is anything else except that.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Khabib will not walk through conors hands, No bloody chance.
    He will not stupid enough to attempt it either, Nate took them, Aldo, Chad, Eddie, Marcus, Ivan Buchinger couldnt.

If Khabib makes the mistake of standing with Conor he is going to be KOd. Both contrasting styles will need to be applied to the best of their abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mayweather was wearing boxing gloves.
    Mayweather knew how to walk down a rangey boxer.
    Khabib won't...

Conor wasn't expecting Mayweather to become a "Mexican". Whereas with it's his entire MO in striking to date. If Khabib gets inside, Conor should worry about the Grappling, not inside boxing imo.

Watching Khabib today against Barboza noticed he wouldnt be too regular to check leg kicks.

I wouldn't be surpised at all if khabib tries to break distance with them double flying kicks/knees, though you'd just sidestep them.

also have you ever hit the bag for a few rounds with 12oz gloves on and then as a cool down go bare handed? you feel like the matrix punching. This would be the difference in having gloves on V Mayweather and then having MMA gloves on having trained for months with boxing gloves.

I would imagine on the feet McGregor is more dangerous now than ever. My only worry is cardio after the lay off. all that boxing sparring and the main event, striking wise, talk about iron sharpening iron, the alvarez defeat should pale in comparison, and lets not forget the short duration between the war with Diaz to that fight, twas almost straight into camp post diaz 2 for eddie!

I'll put money on McGregor not cos I'm thick, I know how much of a hard task this will be but I'll go with him based on me wanting him to do it and then retire!

rusty cole wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surpised at all if khabib tries to break distance with them double flying kicks/knees, though you'd just sidestep them.

also have you ever hit the bag for a few rounds with 12oz gloves on and then as a cool down go bare handed? you feel like the matrix punching. This would be the difference in having gloves on V Mayweather and then having MMA gloves on having trained for months with boxing gloves.

I would imagine on the feet McGregor is more dangerous now that ever. My only worry is cardio after the lay off. all that boxing sparring and the main event, striking wise, talk about iron sharpening iron, the alvarez defeat should pale in comparison, and lets not forget the short duration between the war with Diaz to that fight, twas almost straight into camp post diaz 2 for eddie!

I'll put money on McGregor not cos I'm thick, I know how much of a hard task this will be but I'll go with him based on me wanting him to do it and then retire!

do you think he will retire.

Id imagine you will see him fight Nate, Then some kind of money spinner MMA style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I used to think McGregor was going to retire early, but I don’t think he will anymore. I’ve no cold hard evidence of this but I just don’t think he’s as good with money as he thinks he is. Like lots of fighters. His lifestyle is an insane one to maintain, financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Havent seen anything mentioned online so gonna ask here :pac:
    Has anyone seen any pubs/clubs in Dublin mention that there showing the fight?

His last few fights there where few places doing ticketed events and was advertised well in advance ive seen nothing for this so far.

• Advertisement

Marcus Brimmage was actually stepping forward with hands up, Chad was trying to however got sickened a few times. Aldo was also pushing forward however punching. Conor happy enough punching going backwards or close in.

Khabib will be feinting and trying to changing levels (hate that term) quick enough, in order to get that single leg.

Marcus Brimmage was actually stepping forward with hands up, Chad was trying to however got sickened a few times. Aldo was also pushing forward however punching. Conor happy enough punching going backwards or close in.

Khabib will be feinting and trying to changing levels (hate that term) quick enough, in order to get that single leg.

Khabib does come forward though usually though. he did against Al, Barboza, Johnson and Tibau off memory. He wont be able to do it against conor,

Brimage is a featherweight/bantamweight, khabib struggles to lightweight so its not going to be as easy to hold his ground against that kind of pressure. The right hook mcgregor landed at 4:25 of 1st round against brimage are the kind of punches he needs to throw against khabib, if you compare that to how he punched mayweather in close range and that clip he posted, those are short arm punches whereas that was a proper punch against brimage which immediately made him stop the pressure and backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ChrisM

Khabib only seems to have one mode, march down and maul.

Surely he can't do this to McGregor? I imagine he is considerably slower than Conor.

Will we see a patient Khabib happy to frustrate McGregor by going backwards?

This fight is melting my brain. The presser is waaaay overdue, we all need more distractions.

ChrisM wrote: »

Surely he can't do this to McGregor? I imagine he is considerably slower than Conor.

Will we see a patient Khabib happy to frustrate McGregor by going backwards?

This fight is melting my brain. The presser is waaaay overdue, we all need more distractions.

Conor caught Chad when he changed it up and started to move back along the cage, conor created an angle an let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The closer this fight gets the more i'm leaning towards backing Conor by KO in Round 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

ChrisM wrote: »

Isn't this exactly what Sonnen did to Silva in their first fight? Nearly caused the upset too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Shelling up and walking Conor down only seems to work when he's fatigued, although I imagine this is what Khabib will try to employ as it's the only time where he's lost rounds in recent times.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Havent seen anything mentioned online so gonna ask here :pac:
    Has anyone seen any pubs/clubs in Dublin mention that there showing the fight?

His last few fights there where few places doing ticketed events and was advertised well in advance ive seen nothing for this so far.

I've seen a few, looking for €80 as well for entrance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

I've seen a few, looking for €80 as well for entrance.

Where?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement