Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Reports: McGregor to be stripped of lightweight title

http://www.foxsportsasia.com/ufc/779738/mcgregor-stripped-lightweight-title/

If Khabib wins its a dream set up for the UFC in Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I heard Dana is sending Ngannou to collect the belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

dashoonage wrote: »
    I heard Dana is sending Ngannou to collect the belt.

Nobody hands back the belt.
    There's a new one for every title fight.

Nobody hands back the belt.
    There's a new one for every title fight.

Yip cause i was totally f*ucking serious with that statement like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I'd probably trust anonymous Russian sources close to Khabib over anything Ali Abdelaziz says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Lukker- wrote: »
    Continuing on from chat in the general chat? If he does get stripped, does the Champions clause still apply?

Even if the champion's clause would no longer apply to him, where could he go if he decides to leave the UFC. No other MMA business can pay him what he wants and even if he decided to Box full time they're not going to pay him that much to fight guys at his experience level. Sure he can probably have the rematch with Floyd, maybe Pac, but accumulating nothing but L's is a great is a great way to crash and burn your value.

I doubt the UFC want to strip Conor, he is worth more to them as a champion. But they definitely want/need him to fight twice per calendar year for their bottom line. I think the threat to strip is to get him to fight Khabib in April.

It's a risky move for them because he's wealthy enough to walk away if he feels disrespected. But I think he'll agree to fight Khabib soon.

I'd probably trust anonymous Russian sources close to Khabib over anything Ali Abdelaziz says.

UFC probably doesn't want them announcing it. They probably want to officially announce it themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Even if the champion's clause would no longer apply to him, where could he go if he decides to leave the UFC. No other MMA business can pay him what he wants and even if he decided to Box full time they're not going to pay him that much to fight guys at his experience level. Sure he can probably have the rematch with Floyd, maybe Pac, but accumulating nothing but L's is a great is a great way to crash and burn your value.
    I'd say he's making more cash now from endorsements etc than fights at UFC pay, the longer he holds onto the belts the better for him, strip him of the belts he gets a big media boost,still good for him, leaves it for a while, then a big comeback, it's all a win for mcGregor, as long as he's in the media he is banking hard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Even if the "champions clause" doesn't apply to him, he's still under contract.

I doubt the UFC want to strip Conor, he is worth more to them as a champion. But they definitely want/need him to fight twice per calendar year for their bottom line. I think the threat to strip is to get him to fight Khabib in April.

It's a risky move for them because he's wealthy enough to walk away if he feels disrespected. But I think he'll agree to fight Khabib soon.

He's not worth anything to them at the moment since he won't fight.

Even if the "champions clause" doesn't apply to him, he's still under contract.

This. And I'm sure it gets extended everytime Conor wants to play the diva and renegotiate.

He's not worth anything to them at the moment since he won't fight.
    That's a very simplistic way of looking at a complicated business. Assets don't lose all their value just because they temporarily stop generating revenue.

Conor is a viewed as an asset by the UFC, the same as all their fighters. The value of an asset goes up and down for various reasons. Conor's value to the UFC is higher as champion. They want their cash cows to be champions, it's how they operate, it's why their match-making is often ludicrous.

So stripping him is not something they will do lightly.

However as I said above they are definitely frustrated by his inactivity. They want him to be fighting semi-regularly and generating income. It's why this is an interesting risk on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

So UFC3 will be out early Feb with him with 2 belts on it and he will have none at the time of release.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    So UFC3 will be out early Feb with him with 2 belts on it and he will have none at the time of release.

In fairness he hasn't had the FW belt for 14 months/

UFC3: Stripped

• Registered Users Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

dashoonage wrote: »
    UFC3: Stripped

UFC 3 is more of a GTA sort of thing, but set around Dublin/Kildare mainly focusing on rough pubs, Frank Keane garages and district courts.

That's a very simplistic way of looking at a complicated business. Assets don't lose all their value just because they temporarily stop generating revenue.

Conor is a viewed as an asset by the UFC, the same as all their fighters. The value of an asset goes up and down for various reasons. Conor's value to the UFC is higher as champion. They want their cash cows to be champions, it's how they operate, it's why their match-making is often ludicrous.

So stripping him is not something they will do lightly.

However as I said above they are definitely frustrated by his inactivity. They want him to be fighting semi-regularly and generating income. It's why this is an interesting risk on their part.

You're agreeing with me under the guise of disagreeing with me then. Conor isn't worth anything to them at the moment since he's not fighting. Therefore he's not selling tickets and he's not selling PPVs [which are going up to $65 for 220 and on]. Conor has no value to them at the moment since he won't fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

You're agreeing with me under the guise of disagreeing with me then. Conor isn't worth anything to them at the moment since he's not fighting. Therefore he's not selling tickets and he's not selling PPVs [which are going up to $65 for 220 and on]. Conor has no value to them at the moment since he won't fight.

They still use him to sell product. His endorsement alone is worth $$. See UFC 2 cover, 2 belts and all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Lukker- wrote: »
    Continuing on from chat in the general chat? If he does get stripped, does the Champions clause still apply?

Even if the champion's clause would no longer apply to him, where could he go if he decides to leave the UFC.
    Just an idea. He could fight as an independent fighter, not contracted to the UFC or anyone else.
    Then he would be free to fight/co promote against UFC fighters or any boxers and promote his own lads in sbg under mc Gregor promotions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Just an idea. He could fight as an independent fighter, not contracted to the UFC or anyone else.
    Then he would be free to fight/co promote against UFC fighters or any boxers and promote his own lads in sbg under mc Gregor promotions

UFC still have 2/3 fights left on his current contract. Don't think they'll just write that off so he can go independent.

Down the back of a halting site somewhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

So Tony v Khabib has been confirmed

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/7r1gqz/dana_confirmed_on_boston_radio_that_tony_vs/

Interview just happened on Toucher and Rich on 98.5 The Sports Hub. They usually post clips of their interviews fairly quickly, so it can be found here once posted - https://tunein.com/radio/Toucher--Rich-p120067/

EDIT - If you select the Dana White interview in the above link, it can be found at 23:40

Didn't say if it was for interim title though

Mcgregor promotions and Lidl LTD bring you James Gallager Vs Mick from the evening shift co main Dillion Danis VS Paddy from the Bakery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Down the back of a halting site somewhere..

And now for the main event of the night. It’s Micko vs Jackser to find out who gets Jacinta.

And now for the main event of the night. It’s Micko vs Jackser to find out who gets Jacinta.

Plot twist....Jacinta is a horse.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Imagine the marketing dept for the UFC if he's stripped, and his next fight in the UFC.
    It will be a field day for them, the amount of promo they could do would be unreal for the UFC.
    Wouldn't surprise me if this is all a calculated move from everyone involved...apart from the other fighters on the roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

The GOAT Duck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

In other news news tony is attempting a break a world record in a speed boat next month

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement