Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

The way McGregor kept saying "****e in the bus" surley got that from big Joe's Davy Joyce calling out Simey "****e in the bucket".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

IMO that was as funny as it realistically could have been given the absence of a fan-crowd. People underestimate how much something like that affects the atmosphere. I don't think it was any more cringey than any other presser, just that it seemed more cringey because of the silence apart from the two of them. Like watching the shower scene from Psycho without the music :D

Roll on October 6th! I presume there'll at least be a fan crowd at the weigh ins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Had not heard of the issue with McGregor's plane before the interview with Dana after.

Anyone hear of it being true? And who the two apparent people that were sent home were?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

In fairness McGregor is his usual calm, calculated and confident self when speaking in the lower voice. Unforch he's cycling between that and jumped up toddler.

what-did-you-just-say-gif-8.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

He could have left his whiskey on his chin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,406 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wasn't a fan of that as a whole. Without fans there is was a disaster. I much prefer the comically old Conor, than the hyped up aggressive Conor. But appreciate that it's a lot easier to just dial up the aggression rather than coming up with witty replies. At the end of the time, his focus should be on the fight, not a comedy routine.

I am glad he called out Ali, can't stand that scumbag.

Mostly the presser descended into shouting and noise. Lots of cringe.
    An equal about of cringe in here too. Both sides. Can't bate a bit of armchair pop psychology either. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I turned it off after 5 minutes. As bad as I found it, it would have been worse with a crowd there whooping and cheering every single thing Conor said or did. He was so hyped up that this is how he'll have to get to sleep when going to bed tonight

10yndb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Signed a new 8 fight deal with the UFC.

ESPN now saying Dana apparently misspoke and it's actually a six fight deal.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1042967699385671680

ESPN now saying Dana apparently misspoke and it's actually a six fight deal.

It's fairly inconsequential how many fights are in the deal.
    They can't force him to serve a contract. He retires when he wants to.
    The deal just prevents him leveraging a Belator offer or fighting on a McGregor promotions PPV - both of which are unlikely anyway.

UFC 229 press conference featured the best interpretation of The Joker in any medium since Heath Ledger. :D

That suit for starters.

Then, the pure chaos - highly personal stuff that even reached deep levels of drawing Putin/Russia/Czechia/Dagestan into it. He's not just promoting a fight, he's potentially setting the internet/world on fire with some of the subjects he touched upon and the language used. Plus, with the whole offering Khabib a drink and he refusing thing, Conor called Muslims "backwards gobshítes" at one stage in a tirade against Khabib. FFS Conor, less shít than that has lead to offices of innocent people gunned down. Never mind being a responsible role model for the rest of the world or any of that though, that shít could get himself hurt outside of UFC.

I know they're selling PPVs and also Conor is trying to get Khabib worked up, but I'd worry that these are dangerous topics to be getting into in today's social media-driven world, just to promote a PPV.

Thought these exchanges were funny though...
    Khabib: "I stay relaxed, I stay in a relaxed..."

Conor: "I stay on the bus!"
    That nearly got as much reaction out of me as "Who the fúck is this guy?" :pac:

Khabib: You talk about my heritage, what about you? Why can you not speak your own native language?

Conor: I can..."An bhfuil cead agam dul go dti tusa.....It means can I go and take a shíte on the bus?"
    And Khabib with his his own 'classic'...
    After me, his next fight will be boxing.
    I'm looking forward to this fight. I like Conor the fighter, but at the same time after a testy 2 years from him with some ridiculous public behaviour since the Alvarez fight, I can't help but feel if he gets his ass handed to him, it'll be overdue and deserved. And also, I wouldn't be feeling a shred of the disappointment that I felt when he lost to Diaz.

Unfortunately, those days are long gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Khabib on Instagram:
    All alcoholics will have the same end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Two belts he was stripped of and a bottle of 3 year old bushmills....ladies and gentlemen....your hero in all his glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Why is he carrying 2 belts, he’s not yje holder of either is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'm waiting for Jameson to tweet "we are the Mayweather of whiskey".

I doubt Jameson’s will even acknowledge the Tesco whiskey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

UFC 229 press conference featured the best interpretation of The Joker in any medium since Heath Ledger. :D

That suit for starters.

Then, the pure chaos - highly personal stuff that even reached deep levels of drawing Putin/Russia/Czechia/Dagestan into it. He's not just promoting a fight, he's potentially setting the internet/world on fire with some of the subjects he touched upon and the language used. Plus, with the whole offering Khabib a drink and he refusing thing, Conor called Muslims "backwards gobshítes" at one stage in a tirade against Khabib. FFS Conor, less shít than that has lead to offices of innocent people gunned down. Never mind being a responsible role model for the rest of the world or any of that though, that shít could get himself hurt outside of UFC.

I know they're selling PPVs and also Conor is trying to get Khabib worked up, but I'd worry that these are dangerous topics to be getting into in today's social media-driven world, just to promote a PPV.

Thought these exchanges were funny though...

That nearly got as much reaction out of me as "Who the fúck is this guy?" :pac:

And Khabib with his his own 'classic'...

I'm looking forward to this fight. I like Conor the fighter, but at the same time after a testy 2 years from him with some ridiculous public behaviour since the Alvarez fight, I can't help but feel if he gets his ass handed to him, it'll be overdue and deserved. And also, I wouldn't be feeling a shred of the disappointment that I felt when he lost to Diaz.

Unfortunately, those days are long gone.

What a load of bollox. Show me where he said Muslims are backward gob****es? He said "I bet YOU'RE some craic at party's YOU backwards gob****e".

I still reckon he's trying to position himself for the EU envoy to Russia post..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

iamtony wrote: »
    Being yourself is something to admire.

What about when he wasn’t being himself? When he was putting on the ridiculous accent for the past 2 years?

Are we to admire that too?

He's not just promoting a fight, he's potentially setting the internet/world on fire with some of the subjects he touched upon and the language used. Plus, with the whole offering Khabib a drink and he refusing thing, Conor called Muslims "backwards gobshítes" at one stage in a tirade against Khabib. FFS Conor, less shít than that has lead to offices of innocent people gunned down.
    He clearly knew Khabib wasn’t going to accept the drink, that was intentional to lead into the “get craic at parties line”. But I don’t remember him calling all muslims backwards. I thought that was specifically at Khabib. But I might be wrong, and I was only listening to in in the background at work. Regardless I do think the comparison to Charlie Hebdo is silly. Khabib is not Mohammad. But that’s just my opinion, I don’t think treating muslims as if they are all loose canons that need to be top-toed around is the right approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭deezell

What a load of bollox. Show me where he said Muslims are backward gob****es? He said "I bet YOU'RE some craic at party's YOU backwards gob****e".

But Deleted User is right ( I Guess you're a Stephen King fan with that handle Stu). It's irresponsible. The entire rant is a hate crime. Try that on in normal public life, against a work colleague, a club team mate, the barman in your local. Guess the 3 different results. None of them pleasant, all of them expensive.

Bushmills is a malt only distillery. So chances are Jameson produced the grain whiskey for it. Can't hardly pretend it's complete shite.
    Despite the recent surge, they are still only a few distillerys in ireland. (no idea where tescos comes from).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

So yony mcgregor is currently in Connolly station in a pair of shades and a red suit filming an advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Is it me or did Conor look over emotional and off colour.
    Everything seemed forced and frenetic.

I hope he wins but something doesn't look right.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,288 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Diemos wrote: »
    Everything seemed forced and frenetic.

I hope he wins but something doesn't look right.

That’s been him ever since he became known..always putting on an act.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

I forgot how much of an absolute annoying carrot McGregor is!

I think Khabib will win but it will go all the way.

Best of luck to Khabib, hope he wins it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Mellor wrote: »
    Bushmills is a malt only distillery. So chances are Jameson produced the grain whiskey for it. Can't hardly pretend it's complete shite.
    Despite the recent surge, they are still only a few distillerys in ireland. (no idea where tescos comes from).

Tesco seem to have exclusivity in Irish off licence market. Oh and a quota of two bottles per customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

walshb wrote: »
    That’s been him ever since he became known..always putting on an act.

Nah, look at the Aldo build up, plenty of trash talk but he looked like he was having fun. This is personal to Conor. and in fighting that's never a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    What about when he wasn’t being himself? When he was putting on the ridiculous accent for the past 2 years?

Are we to admire that too?

Don't question comments made by an intoxicated man the next morning when he is sober it's in the forum charter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Have Tesco stopped selling Jameson then? Last I saw they had Jameson on their shelves alongside plenty other decent quality whiskeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Chael loved it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Conor made a complete tit of himself in that press conference ,tried and failed to rile and get under kabibs skin and failed badly the fact he had to resort to insulting his father says loads about mcg,an embarrassment to see him mentioned as an Irish sportsman ,I used to be a fan but I can see kabib doing a number here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement